The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 06:26 PM   #61
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Lock this thread, we do not need guys like you here to speculate in regards to the grey market.

You're a funny guy. Who is this 'we' you purport to protect from "guys like me"? And who elected you to do so?

Grow up buddy, we're not in North Korea.

I'm neither a flipper nor a dealer. The reason I ask the question is because the premium a watch attracts directly correlates with how hard a watch is to get from the AD.
For those looking to actually purchase one of the new releases it gives an idea of how difficult it will be to get one of these pieces from an AD or how much extra we'll have to pay in the grey market.

Have a wonderful day
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 07:16 PM   #62
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
You're a funny guy. Who is this 'we' you purport to protect from "guys like me"? And who elected you to do so?

Grow up buddy, we're not in North Korea.

I'm neither a flipper nor a dealer. The reason I ask the question is because the premium a watch attracts directly correlates with how hard a watch is to get from the AD.
For those looking to actually purchase one of the new releases it gives an idea of how difficult it will be to get one of these pieces from an AD or how much extra we'll have to pay in the grey market.

Have a wonderful day
How do you know we're not in North Korea. This is a world wide forum and there are no rights of any sort associated with it. Some may actually be in North Korea. Stop insulting other watch collectors from areas you're not from.

Funny my tastes lean towards the two watches anticipated as being dogs, the 1908 and the Ti YM42. The emoji and bubble are two watches I'd never ever have a use for. Let the pretentious flippers have them.

WRT to Padi's post, he's a long timer here and former very well respected moderator. His perception comes from someone who's genuinely interested in watches and not how hard they are to come by or their value.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 07:31 PM   #63
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes, we need another what's the best investment thread. That's what modern Rolex is all about anyway.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 07:43 PM   #64
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Well to some now and seems you might be one Rolex are no longer watches bought to wear and enjoy.Now thought of a little more than ££$$€€ object things and little more which is a shame
While I have always agreed with the sentiment, at least compared with 10 years ago, I thought your view could be interpreted as somewhat narrow- until this week. Rolex know their customers, and when they release a Day Date which shows neither the day nor the date they have made your point emphatically.
I totally agree. I think the "no-day-or-date" Day Date really highlights (to me at least) how far we've come (fallen?) in terms of people buying watches for no other reason than to show off to others and to get "likes" online, and not using them for their intended purposes - i.e. to tell the time and date, etc.

Obviously I fully realise I'm not a 20 year old YouTuber, so I'm not remotely the demographic this type of watch is aimed at. That said, this Puzzle dial, and the Bubble OP, are so far outside of my wheelhouse that they don't remotely bother me at all, and if people want to buy them I say good luck to them. It's just not a direction I'll personally be taking.
Old 29 March 2023, 08:24 PM   #65
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
How do you know we're not in North Korea. This is a world wide forum and there are no rights of any sort associated with it. Some may actually be in North Korea. Stop insulting other watch collectors from areas you're not from.

Funny my tastes lean towards the two watches anticipated as being dogs, the 1908 and the Ti YM42. The emoji and bubble are two watches I'd never ever have a use for. Let the pretentious flippers have them.

WRT to Padi's post, he's a long timer here and former very well respected moderator. His perception comes from someone who's genuinely interested in watches and not how hard they are to come by or their value.

We're not in North Korea because I'm definitely not and neither are you....that's pretty simple methinks.
And if there are no rights associated with the forum...that means nobody has the right to ask for a thread to be locked just because they don't like the subject matter....that's also pretty simple.

At least we can agree that the Ti is a lovely watch.
Old 29 March 2023, 09:44 PM   #66
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
https://youtu.be/qRZpHvBz1P4

bubble and jigsaw look sweet
ssetem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:46 PM   #67
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
https://youtu.be/U8fpKxfIkxA

jigsaw
ssetem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:47 PM   #68
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Percentage wise probably the OP

Total dollar over RRP the emojicon
Old 29 March 2023, 09:50 PM   #69
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

I want one. I am now on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I don't want to get into values but to me at retail - that bubble OP is cool and I'd buy it. I think its 7k with tax and funky. Depending on peoples budgets that can mean very different things. A funky time only watch unlike anything else. I'd take a 36mm or 41mm.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:18 PM   #70
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetem View Post
https://youtu.be/qRZpHvBz1P4

bubble and jigsaw look sweet

The Jigsaw main dial looks amazing...still not sure about the emojis.
This will probably be as rare as Rainbow Daytonas so will be for A list celebrities only.

I will register for the bubble dial 41mm but doubt I'll ever get that either.
Old 30 March 2023, 01:12 AM   #71
rcwatchcollector
Banned

I do think "value" or grey market price does in fact reflect sentiment for historically important pieces for Rolex. Not always. but it will more than not.

I am middle aged. have collected watches for 30 years. I see a historical context for watches that are hard to get as a collector. As well as a artistic and aesthetics context in regards to our world in general when you discuss these hard to get pieces. As Rolex has always moved at a glacial pace in regards to technical innovations because they just work. They are left with artistic inventions for expressions as a brand.

I truly appreciate the new YM42 Ti for the beauty of its intended function. Along with the little bits of fine art. The high polish chamfers impart no utilitarian value what so ever. A tool doesn't need high polish. It only appeals to vanity and ego. In fact if I was a purist function user I would say the raised indices serve no functional use as well. decorative. But it is the combination of the rugged function and the decorative that makes the YM42Ti a standout.

The Emoji President does this as well. But we are starting with an already "showy" piece. perhaps the most known Rolex ever. The functional part of the watch remains. The "Art" is the dial. And as we all know art is subjective. So this variant is well within the historical context or Rolex innovations of technology and art. And thus should be regarded as an important piece for the serious collector.
rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 05:04 AM   #72
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well to some now and seems you might be one Rolex are no longer watches bought to wear and enjoy.Now thought of a little more than ££$$€€ object things and little more which is a shame

I agree. And they are sold to a group of people who worry more about resale value than to wear it for enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 05:31 AM   #73
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
We're not in North Korea because I'm definitely not and neither are you....that's pretty simple methinks.
And if there are no rights associated with the forum...that means nobody has the right to ask for a thread to be locked just because they don't like the subject matter....that's also pretty simple.

At least we can agree that the Ti is a lovely watch.
I'm talking about the global "we" of the forum. As I said, this forum is global and it's nowhere near a Democracy. Try going against the ruling body and see what happens. So, it's not simple at all. Don't delude yourself.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:16 AM   #74
Gunzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, Exp2
I think the 41mm Celebration OP will fetch the biggest premium.
After that the mint green Sky Dweller
Gunzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:31 AM   #75
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Puzzle dial and wonder bread dial. The ladies who buy it have plenty of hubby's money to burn!

I predict the new Ti YM is going to be a dog. There will be initial hype for 2-3 months while fans spend 2x via Greys. After the lust is satisfied it will be the first sports model to reach MSRP in the grey market. ADs will offer it as a "relationship builder" when customers ask for a Sub/BLNR/BLRO.

+1. That’s my prediction as well. The Ti YM42 had so much potential if they had just released the SAME exact combination which was worn by Sir Ben Ainslie. Titanium case on a NATO strap. The present version just looks so bad. Even the queue at the AD for one isn’t that long, considering the novelty of a Titanium watch from Rolex.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:42 AM   #76
DAGMoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Two-tone Sub
Bubbles, for sure - I can see it being very popular with women; maybe less so with men.....
DAGMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:31 PM   #77
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
+1. That’s my prediction as well. The Ti YM42 had so much potential if they had just released the SAME exact combination which was worn by Sir Ben Ainslie. Titanium case on a NATO strap. The present version just looks so bad. Even the queue at the AD for one isn’t that long, considering the novelty of a Titanium watch from Rolex.
How can you know what the queue is when official registrations haven't even opened in many countries?
Old 31 March 2023, 06:57 PM   #78
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:

North Korea is a lock down country the citizens are not allowed ANY access to the rest of the world. All info they do get is from the state propaganda. IF any here are from that Country are from the inner circle from the DICTATOR.
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:13 PM   #79
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How can you know what the queue is when official registrations haven't even opened in many countries?
I spoke to my SA the day after the release to put down my name for a few pieces. We discussed about the releases and we agreed that it was an average year for Rolex, not mind-blowing. When the topic moved to the YM42, I asked him about the reception for the YM42 and his response was…… “there were enquiries and people registering their interest, but it was lower than expected.”
You can count the number with your fingers let’s put it that way.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:14 PM   #80
Seo
"TRF" Member

Puzzle dial will be number one I think.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:37 PM   #81
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I spoke to my SA the day after the release to put down my name for a few pieces. We discussed about the releases and we agreed that it was an average year for Rolex, not mind-blowing. When the topic moved to the YM42, I asked him about the reception for the YM42 and his response was…… “there were enquiries and people registering their interest, but it was lower than expected.”
You can count the number with your fingers let’s put it that way.

I'm surprised to be honest. However my personal opinion is that the popularity will increase as time goes by.
Old 31 March 2023, 09:40 PM   #82
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
North Korea is a lock down country the citizens are not allowed ANY access to the rest of the world. All info they do get is from the state propaganda. IF any here are from that Country are from the inner circle from the DICTATOR.
Exactly. I just couldn't be bothered trying to explain this to someone who obviously doesn't have an interest in world affairs.
As you say, if there is a Rolex fan from North Korea on this forum it's probably Kim Jong-un himself lol
Old 31 March 2023, 09:49 PM   #83
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I think the larger bubble dial OP and puzzle dial DD.

Quote:
We've had just about every other discussion that can be had about the new releases given we haven't physically seen the watches yet.....

With the exception of any Daytona model, which of the new releases will command the biggest premium? My predictions in highest first order

1) 41mm bubble dial

2) Green face Sky Dweller

3) YM42 Ti

Btw, if you don't care then no need to post that you don't care lol
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:45 PM   #84
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I'm surprised to be honest. However my personal opinion is that the popularity will increase as time goes by.
Not when you can get better Rolex sports models for less money (Sub, SD43, Exp2.)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:50 PM   #85
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Not when you can get better Rolex sports models for less money (Sub, SD43, Exp2.)
"Better" doesn't mean the same thing for everybody.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 03:42 AM   #86
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a sub and a SD43 but still want the YM...it's a very different watch in my eyes.
Oh, I had the Exp2 Polar, sold it after a few months as I thought it was just horrid.
Old 1 April 2023, 08:15 AM   #87
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird View Post
This

1908 will be at a discount before long too.
I doubt it.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 08:16 AM   #88
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:

100% guarantee, no one on here is in North Korea.
yonexsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 08:56 AM   #89
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonexsp View Post

Side bet
Old 1 April 2023, 11:57 AM   #90
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonexsp View Post

I wouldn’t be totally surprised if KJU is on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote