The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 01:36 AM   #1
TheHolyGrail
"TRF" Member

16610 - There shall be only one!

Submariner reference 16610, highly sought-after by collectors and enthusiasts alike for its classic proportions, was first introduced in 1987 and produced until c. 2010 when it was replaced by 116610. The end of a glorious, iconic era which ushered in the dawn of the bulky, ceramic titans...

While the 16610 has long been discontinued, it is still a very popular watch and there are certainly many of them in circulation. Each individual watch is unique due to small variations during its lengthy production run. Each one is very special in its own way and takes us back to the roots. Back to when it all started, when subtle elegance and class met manly tools.

Which variation do you feel is most special and likely to become collectible in the future? Engraved rehaut (or not), lug holes (or not), etched coronet (or not) SELs (or rattly-smooth silky nod to the past on your wrist)? I lust over the patina of some of the early tritium specimens, but I need my lume for a modern living and so I demand SuperLuminova (or should I aim for a rarer Swiss only dial with Luminova?). I live, breathe, dive and sleep with my watches so it has to be a sturdy version by modern standards (SEL a must?).

I shall get my first sub, sooner or later... salivating in the meantime, as I have been since I first set my eyes on it. I’ve owned a classic OP for 34 years, which I flooded when I was a kid and has since been serviced and it got a new grey sigma dial. It's the epitome of simplicity, absolute pure zen in my eyes. I love it with its vintage, riveted ’69 Breguet bracelet or its more modern oyster with which it looks even more timeless!

Yet... it's simply not a sub and it let me down before in the depths – unforgivable for an Oyster Perpetual! I wasn’t diving but spear fishing (luckily) and that’s when, soon after, I learnt about the mighty Sub from a Rolex catalogue. I immediately set my sights on it but I quickly dismissed it as too expensive and too big due to my small wrist 16cm (6.3”). It was the year of our lord 1990, my wrist hasn’t grown and little did I know about the Rolex craze that would follow...

Fast forward to 2023 and I’m gutted, my love for the thing of beauty renewed, burning like never before.... but I’m now just so put off but the price hike and unsure whether to wait for a market correction or secure my holy grail before it slips out of my league, forever....

Which variation would you buy for personal enjoyment, everyday use as well as investment? I will keep the OP as it’s family, but I need one more. The last one, The One that will see me through the waves in life and keep me dry.

Thank you for reading my heartfelt rant. Should I pull the trigger now or wait (hope) for a price drop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (8.8 KB, 1525 views)
TheHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:36 AM   #2
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
They don’t generally get any cheaper over time.
Barada7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:27 AM   #3
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Welcome to the forum!

Best time to buy a Rolex is always yesterday

I'd look for SEL bracelet.

Enjoy the journey.
Old 29 March 2023, 01:30 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyGrail View Post
Submariner reference 16610, highly sought-after by collectors and enthusiasts alike for its classic proportions, was first introduced in 1987 and produced until c. 2010 when it was replaced by 116610. The end of a glorious, iconic era which ushered in the dawn of the bulky, ceramic titans...

While the 16610 has long been discontinued, it is still a very popular watch and there are certainly many of them in circulation. Each individual watch is unique due to small variations during its lengthy production run. Each one is very special in its own way and takes us back to the roots. Back to when it all started, when subtle elegance and class met manly tools.

Which variation do you feel is most special and likely to become collectible in the future? Engraved rehaut (or not), lug holes (or not), etched coronet (or not) SELs (or rattly-smooth silky nod to the past on your wrist)? I lust over the patina of some of the early tritium specimens, but I need my lume for a modern living and so I demand SuperLuminova (or should I aim for a rarer Swiss only dial with Luminova?). I live, breathe, dive and sleep with my watches so it has to be a sturdy version by modern standards (SEL a must?).

I shall get my first sub, sooner or later... salivating in the meantime, as I have been since I first set my eyes on it. I’ve owned a classic OP for 34 years, which I flooded when I was a kid and has since been serviced and it got a new grey sigma dial. It's the epitome of simplicity, absolute pure zen in my eyes. I love it with its vintage, riveted ’69 Breguet bracelet or its more modern oyster with which it looks even more timeless!

Yet... it's simply not a sub and it let me down before in the depths – unforgivable for an Oyster Perpetual! I wasn’t diving but spear fishing (luckily) and that’s when, soon after, I learnt about the mighty Sub from a Rolex catalogue. I immediately set my sights on it but I quickly dismissed it as too expensive and too big due to my small wrist 16cm (6.3”). It was the year of our lord 1990, my wrist hasn’t grown and little did I know about the Rolex craze that would follow...

Fast forward to 2023 and I’m gutted, my love for the thing of beauty renewed, burning like never before.... but I’m now just so put off but the price hike and unsure whether to wait for a market correction or secure my holy grail before it slips out of my league, forever....

Which variation would you buy for personal enjoyment, everyday use as well as investment? I will keep the OP as it’s family, but I need one more. The last one, The One that will see me through the waves in life and keep me dry.

Thank you for reading my heartfelt rant. Should I pull the trigger now or wait (hope) for a price drop?

S serial below, own since new (Jan 1995). Has the SEL case lips and as such can use any of the newer SEL bracelets, including glidelock. Perforated lug case for easy strap changes, flat 4 bezel, patina friendly tritium dial. A simple bezel assembly swap with an OEM bezel LV combo and you get a different look (may “affect” lol 16610LV purists, don’t care as am mod friendly anyway).

Here on a few band options (Glidelock, PCL oyster, 93150, Jubilee, Rubber B, OF, Crafter Blue):

Tick a lot of boxes for me
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:37 PM   #5
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

I vote one with lug holes.
Old 29 March 2023, 04:13 PM   #6
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Always buy the watch you really want. And, you really want this Submariner Date reference...and why not? It's truly a classic...I managed to land one a couple of years before they were discontinued. I'm wearing it now, as a matter of fact, and it is something to behold. Get the best one you can find, condition wise. Rather than fixate on a particular variant, I'd go for the best condition and most complete set I could find (box, papers, etc.). If that happened to have SELs, or lug holes, or not...I wouldn't care, as my concern would be to get one in the best overall condition I could find, from a trusted seller, at a price I could live with.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:01 PM   #7
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
Always buy the watch you really want. And, you really want this Submariner Date reference...and why not? It's truly a classic...I managed to land one a couple of years before they were discontinued. I'm wearing it now, as a matter of fact, and it is something to behold. Get the best one you can find, condition wise. Rather than fixate on a particular variant, I'd go for the best condition and most complete set I could find (box, papers, etc.). If that happened to have SELs, or lug holes, or not...I wouldn't care, as my concern would be to get one in the best overall condition I could find, from a trusted seller, at a price I could live with.
This is the best advice you will receive.
Good luck with your search for the classic 16610, and I hope you source one soon.
Oldfellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 06:45 PM   #8
illiguy

Fantastic reference.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:22 PM   #9
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
I love mine, wearing it as I write this. The LV insert huuummm ?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:06 PM   #10
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Was my first back in ‘97, still have a U serial that I wear often. Great watch.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:47 PM   #11
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
90s holes with tritium
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:52 PM   #12
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
My favorite is the no date 14060M; I remember when clean used models were $3-4k. Not anymore. My newest addition scratches a very similar (but unique itch):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 01:02 AM   #13
EagleBear

I feel your pain as I’m sure many of us have similar stories.
Mine started back in 1988 when my brother-in-law first saw it and he said “we should go check it out”. We were into motorcycles as well at the time I was saving for for a bike and he already had one. We both fell in love with the Sub but didn’t get it that day. A few days later he showed up to work with the Sub and I bought the bike lol. I chased the 16610 for yrs but every time I had the money to get it I would end up buying another bike. That is until the news came out that it was going to be retired and a new design was going to be introduced. Well I just had to get one before it was gone right? Lol I picked up a 2009 and have loved it still do wish sometimes I would have pulled the trigger on the 1988 I fell in love with. Who knows I may still find one someday in great shape and pick it up but here is my 2009 still one of my favorites.
EagleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:48 AM   #14
JoeSiR
"TRF" Member

As I did, I would go with the latest 16610 iterations just before the maxi case/ceramic era.

So, 2008 (M), 2009 (V) or in some rare case 2010 (random) with rehaut & laser-etched crown on crystal.

Perfect watch (super comfortable) for daily wearer as long as you don’t mind having some rattling with the bracelet.

Good luck!
JoeSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 03:54 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

I’d locate the best example you can afford, and buy it if you are in a position to do so
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 06:01 AM   #16
mikkey
Banned

Welcome to the forum
mikkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 06:33 AM   #17
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBear View Post
I feel your pain as I’m sure many of us have similar stories.
Mine started back in 1988 when my brother-in-law first saw it and he said “we should go check it out”. We were into motorcycles as well at the time I was saving for for a bike and he already had one. We both fell in love with the Sub but didn’t get it that day. A few days later he showed up to work with the Sub and I bought the bike lol. I chased the 16610 for yrs but every time I had the money to get it I would end up buying another bike. That is until the news came out that it was going to be retired and a new design was going to be introduced. Well I just had to get one before it was gone right? Lol I picked up a 2009 and have loved it still do wish sometimes I would have pulled the trigger on the 1988 I fell in love with. Who knows I may still find one someday in great shape and pick it up but here is my 2009 still one of my favorites.
Wow it looks fantastic! Did Rolex used to use AR coating? Looks like it here.
Old 30 March 2023, 06:38 AM   #18
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
I prefer Sea Dweller 16600 but have had a ser L. Bucherer
I don't like the marked rehaut but any 16610 is a great choice

Old 30 March 2023, 06:44 AM   #19
EagleBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Wow it looks fantastic! Did Rolex used to use AR coating? Looks like it here.

Good question, That’s the way I got it back from RSC after sending it to them in 2016. I had them replace the crystal and the insert.
EagleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 08:35 AM   #20
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

What an enjoyable read! You asked, So I feel obligated to agree with another post. The best time to buy a Rolex is yesterday! Best of luck on your quest, and keep us updated on your progress.
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:00 PM   #21
bestwatch1
"TRF" Member

The sooner you get it, the longer you have to enjoy it.
bestwatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:29 PM   #22
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Now is the time... buy in good condition and tritium!
hutch300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:43 PM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I got the reference just before that one. The triple zero. 168000.
Love it. Perfect dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230228_141723.jpg (187.9 KB, 889 views)
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:57 PM   #24
huba01
"TRF" Member

Transitional with lug holes and sel
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:28 AM   #25
TheHolyGrail
"TRF" Member

A BIG thank you to all of you for making me feel so welcome on the forum, it was a very pleasant surprise which truly warmed my heart – I’m an incredibly proud member now!

I have taken onboard your advice, especially regarding the condition, and I have found one which ticks quite a few boxes (probably even classier without rehaut) and the condition seems to be excellent.

It's sold by swisstimepieces in the UK, sadly I can't share the address as I'm a newbie, but it's the only 16610 they currently have on their site (2006)...

I wonder if I should buy it through chrono24 or directly from the seller slightly discounted. I googled them and spoke to them and they seem legit.

I have to pull the trigger tomorrow as I’m flying abroad where I could get it checked by my friend at the AD.

Opinions will be immensely appreciated. I promise I will update you if I do get it and I may even have a little surprise about the brand and the history of diving... an incredibly rare “big guy” which is heirloom, bless! ;D
TheHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:50 AM   #26
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
OP, if the condition is to your satisfaction and you're comfortable with the price, I think it is about time you got that watch
Old 31 March 2023, 05:03 AM   #27
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Look forward to seeing your incoming photos. Below is mine 2002 model SEL with lug holes and a Swiss only luminova dial perfection for me.

Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:07 AM   #28
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
post pix once in.....this forum loves the pix!!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:15 AM   #29
WBaileyii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/126610LV
Love my 16610. The patina in the Tritium lume keeps getting better with time.

Rolex 29APR21_1.jpg

However, I wouldn't wear it diving. The lume fades after about 30 seconds and even though I recently had it serviced, I'd be very leary of taking it below swimming pool depth...

If you plan to dive in your watch get a late production 16610 with SuperLuminova and get it serviced to replace all the gaskets...just my
WBaileyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:52 AM   #30
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

The 16610 is a classic. I went with Superluminova and SELs.

Don’t worry about guessing what will be more collectible in the future, buy the one you want.

e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote