The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 February 2016, 05:52 PM   #271
Maric89
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing this information with us Vanessa.
Maric89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 11:12 AM   #272
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
what an awesome video! thanks for sharing!
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 01:19 PM   #273
kmc19680
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Thank you for explaining the process, Vanessa. Now I understand why it's not a $100 charge to get it serviced. I love my watch and will keep it serviced regularly. Have a great weekend. - K.
kmc19680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 09:39 AM   #274
RickTronics
"TRF" Member

NO Main Spring included on estimate during service by RSC

I thought Mainspring will go to trash right away during service, but why is it my SD Ive just sent for service to RSC doesn't include the mainspring parts on the estimate? Or is this parts included on the $600 service charge? My total estimate was $1017.00 that includes winding crown,monobloc, new insert, escape valve and new crystal. Any thoughts?
RickTronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 09:50 AM   #275
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTronics View Post
I thought Mainspring will go to trash right away during service, but why is it my SD Ive just sent for service to RSC doesn't include the mainspring parts on the estimate? Or is this parts included on the $600 service charge? My total estimate was $1017.00 that includes winding crown,monobloc, new insert, escape valve and new crystal. Any thoughts?
You are correct, at RSC mainsprings are incl with the general service charge. They don't break it down.

Sent from my phone.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 11:10 AM   #276
RickTronics
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Vanessa, You're awesome!
RickTronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 11:11 AM   #277
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTronics View Post
Thanks, Vanessa, You're awesome!
Thanks

Sent from my phone.

Old 3 May 2016, 03:25 AM   #278
jmorin28
"TRF" Member

Vanessa CW21 Would you be able to service a 1500 service movement from 1970-1980 submariner? I'm considering purchasing a domed crystal Sub.
jmorin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2016, 06:42 AM   #279
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Lubricating the pallet fork in a special fluid

Hi Vanessa,

I understand you dip the revreser wheels and pallet wheel in an Epilame bath. I am slightly suprised you dp the entire anchor in the epilame. I alway s ut epilame on the pallets bbut for sure not on the fork at the other end of the anchor. I like to ckeep the fork as meticulous clean as possible. I thouht this was also the Rolex recomended method?

Is this changed nowadays with a new procedure?

Can you learn us here on the rationale to epilame the entire anchor?

Thank you for this very nice write up.

Br

RonP
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 01:44 PM   #280
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Hi Vanessa,

I understand you dip the revreser wheels and pallet wheel in an Epilame bath. I am slightly suprised you dp the entire anchor in the epilame. I alway s ut epilame on the pallets bbut for sure not on the fork at the other end of the anchor. I like to ckeep the fork as meticulous clean as possible. I thouht this was also the Rolex recomended method?

Is this changed nowadays with a new procedure?

Can you learn us here on the rationale to epilame the entire anchor?

Thank you for this very nice write up.

Br

RonP
You're correct. Since then(2009), they've changed the way you use the Epilame on the pallet fork and escape wheel. I use a dropper now to just coat the pallet jewels and the teeth of the escape wheel!

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

Old 5 May 2016, 01:45 PM   #281
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorin28 View Post
Vanessa CW21 Would you be able to service a 1500 service movement from 1970-1980 submariner? I'm considering purchasing a domed crystal Sub.
Yes. If you watch the video posted in my signature, you'll see me service a vintage Submariner.

Old 12 May 2016, 05:12 PM   #282
falk3n
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Yes. If you watch the video posted in my signature, you'll see me service a vintage Submariner.

Its really beautiful to watch your work. :)
falk3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 11:47 PM   #283
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Hi ,
Any idea if RSC replace the pushers,tube and crown during the regular service of a 116520?
An other question is there any weak points of the cal.4130 if service interval prolonged with a couple of years ?Afaik 3135 set wheel post and the rotor axle may get severly damaged if the watch not serviced in time.
thanks

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 05:15 AM   #284
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Hi ,
Any idea if RSC replace the pushers,tube and crown during the regular service of a 116520?
I pretty sure they don't as part of the routine service. They just replace the gaskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
An other question is there any weak points of the cal.4130 if service interval prolonged with a couple of years ?Afaik 3135 set wheel post and the rotor axle may get severly damaged if the watch not serviced in time.
thanks
I'm not that familiar with the Daytona movement, since we have another watchmaker who does those at the shop.

Old 1 June 2016, 05:31 AM   #285
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

I'm not that familiar with the Daytona movement, since we have another watchmaker who does those at the shop.
dear Vanessa ,
thanks for your quick reply ,would you mind to ask your colleague ?i d really appreciate.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 12:56 PM   #286
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
As an AD with a CMW21 watchmaker, we've had no problems with servicing or customer problems with the 4130. The old axiom is that it takes 10 years to work all of the bugs out of a movement. The 4130 has had 16 years on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2016, 07:08 AM   #287
jmorin28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Rolex doesn't sell the dot separately., so you have to buy a new ceramic bezel. The cost is $375.00 plus labor to install. The elevated dot is my only criticism of the new (ceramic) design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh yes they do, mine got whacked off and off to rsc dallas it goes. They verbatim told me they would replace the dot and the dot tray into my current ceramic bezel. Cost 120$
jmorin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 04:59 AM   #288
PatrickJ
Banned

Thank you Vanessa. Just out of interest what are your thoughts on Rolex increasing service intervals on all new green tag watches to 10 years? What concerns me is that some movements like the 3135 have been updated to a degree but hardly enough for a service interval every 10 years? I have a 2014 year Rolex Explorer 1, now are Rolex seriously telling me the model in 2015 that is the same as mine only needs to be serviced at 10 year intervals and mine at 5?
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 05:18 AM   #289
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

We are an AD for Rolex and Rolex's comment is that this will be average. Unfortunately, people aren't "average". Some customers are easy on their watches and some are hard on them. We recently had a Steel & Gold Sub, 3 years old, in because he knocked the 12 o'clock indicator off his ceramic bezel. Inspecting the watch, the band near the clasp had a large, deep flat spot worn about an inch long and the full width of the bracelet. I spoke with him about being aware if he wearing it on a granite or similar counter. His comment was he wears it for everything. This is the type of customer that will need more frequent service. I also have a customer that wipes it down every time he wears it, handles it very carefully, his watches typically look as good as new. My rule is fix it when there is a problem or every 10 years, whichever comes first.
Old 29 September 2016, 09:26 AM   #290
rwATR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SXK007
Great explanation. Thank you!
rwATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 09:53 AM   #291
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

3186 issue

Vanessa, I was in visiting our watchmaker Rolex trained tech, and CMW21 credentialed. I retired after 36 years at this AD. I have a GMT II BLNR. He had a 3186 movement on his workbench and said this is the third GMT II that he had to replace a cam and a gear in the setting mechanism of the hour hand. He said it is a flaw in the design, he showed me where is is breaking in the same spot and Rolex has a new design that he is replacing the older one with. Mine is new enough (April) that it will have the new one, but the one he was repairing we sold in 2014, we are doing it in house at no cost to the customer. Faster than sending it to Rolex and better customer service. The symptom is that the hour hand won't set. Have you seen any of these?
Old 10 October 2016, 11:19 AM   #292
dcarrer0
"TRF" Member

So, I purchased Explorer I in December 2015. When do i need to have it serviced, assuming nothing ever happens to it? Do i send it in personally or do i need to take it to a AD to send out?
dcarrer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 12:30 PM   #293
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Usually a Rolex needs a service in 7-10 years. If your watch starts losing time or stops completely then it needs a service, unless it's less than five years old, then something has broken or a screw has come loose. And you need an honest watchmaker to not take advantage of this. As to whether to send it in personally or not, this is my view. Do you have a great independent watchmaker in your area? Does he/she have a Rolex parts account? (critical), are they credentialed? Rolex trained, CW21 or CMW21 tested. If you don't have this, I would sent it to Rolex. I would ask the authorized dealer what additional charges there are in addition to the Rolex repair. Shipping runs $50.00-$100.00 whether you send it or the dealer sends it. $100 for gold or platinum. If the dealer charges an additional markup (their right to do so) or not, you may be better off sending it yourself, via US Postal service Registered Mail. I am fortunate, I worked with a Rolex trained, CMW21 watchmaker for 36 years, I just retired from an AD. Rolex inspects the store and his setup and makes sure we had any new equipment in order to service the watches properly. He's still working, and he never charged for a service if it didn't need one and he could fix it easily, loose screw. He might charge $25.00, or nothing if it was purchased from us. I am spoiled as it's great to have a relationship with a great watchmaker, I would have him inspect my watches periodically to see if they needed service, most of the time he'd say "No." He would regulate my watches or our customer's watches for nothing as a courtesy if they purchased it from us. He's 62 years old and when he retires, I will send my watches to Rolex Service.
Old 21 October 2016, 11:49 PM   #294
Marck_c
"TRF" Member

Hi Vanessa, I have 1991 Daytona 16518. The numerals have the tritium luminous markers. And unfortunately they do not glow in the dark. I understand that this may be due to the half life of the tritium used in the markers. Would this be reapplied at an overhaul? Or would a new dial be required?
Marck_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 07:27 AM   #295
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck_c View Post
Hi Vanessa, I have 1991 Daytona 16518. The numerals have the tritium luminous markers. And unfortunately they do not glow in the dark. I understand that this may be due to the half life of the tritium used in the markers. Would this be reapplied at an overhaul? Or would a new dial be required?
If lume is important to you, you'll need to replace the dial. Refinishing the dial is an option, but you'll lose a lot of value.

Old 22 October 2016, 11:33 AM   #296
Marck_c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If lume is important to you, you'll need to replace the dial. Refinishing the dial is an option, but you'll lose a lot of value.

Well yes it would be nice not to have to turn on the lights to tell the time at night 😀. What does a new dial typically run, dollar wise?
Marck_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2016, 08:43 AM   #297
benny714
"TRF" Member

Great information for me thanks.
benny714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2016, 07:25 AM   #298
CassiusNZ
"TRF" Member

Hi Vanessa,

Have PM'd you.. have a 118238 YG DayDate bought from Govberg last year... is a 2003 and they couldnt tell me if it has been serviced or not... I am in LA on the 5th Dec then again on the 3rd.. would like a estimate on cost of servicing and replacement of crystal.

Thanks a mill!

Cass
CassiusNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 04:26 PM   #299
edamato
"TRF" Member

Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!
edamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 04:39 PM   #300
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamato View Post
Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!
Don't buy a cheap winder. They can do more damage than good. Expect to pay over $100 for a good one. Wolfe Design sells good winders...

There are a lot of posts about winders on this forum. You can do a search on the homepage.
Good luck!