The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 October 2018, 08:48 AM   #1
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

JLC Polaris Geographic Worldtime (Q904847J)

I am still thinking about a world time piece. I am zeroing in on this particular JLC. I like color black to blue at least from the photos. Expect nicer in person but who knows. It is not too big at 42mm. I wish it had marked daylight savings time cities and came with a steel bracelet option. They do not seem to be flying off the shelves in terms of pre orders at the boutiques. Supposed to be available next month..

The other major contender is the VC world time overseas but that dial is so crowded and the half hour time zones, while nice clutter the dial making the time a bit hard to read. Love the fact it comes with leather, rubber and bracelet. Substantially more in terms of price.

I know this has been discussed a bit in another thread but because of its imminent release thought i see if any other opinions.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ja...on-introducing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jlc.jpg (211.0 KB, 320 views)
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:08 AM   #2
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

First time I have seen this but it is a beautiful piece imo.
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:14 AM   #3
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
First I’ve seen this as well and it does look great! The black to blue is really eye catching
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:09 PM   #4
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Well they are not out in the wild yet.. :)
Old 16 October 2018, 09:43 PM   #5
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Well they are not out in the wild yet.. :)

I hadn’t even seen the articles or the announcement. Limited edition too. Having never owned JLC I am intrigued. Let us know what you decide.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:13 PM   #6
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Its definitely quite nice, but I never really get the power reserve on an automatic. Maybe its there to balance the dial?

In my humble opinion the Geophysic World Time is a stunning watch and comes on a bracelet at pretty much the same price
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 10:43 AM   #7
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Will do.. I think i am going to put down a deposit. It is refundable
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post

I hadn’t even seen the articles or the announcement. Limited edition too. Having never owned JLC I am intrigued. Let us know what you decide.
Old 17 October 2018, 10:50 AM   #8
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I like PR indicators even on automatics.. Geophysic is a beautiful watch and I would definitely get that one except it has that sweeping seconds hand and i have looked at 4 or 5 and the seconds hand does not always perfectly align with marker and that just drives me nuts.. otherwise would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamyAshour View Post
Its definitely quite nice, but I never really get the power reserve on an automatic. Maybe its there to balance the dial?

In my humble opinion the Geophysic World Time is a stunning watch and comes on a bracelet at pretty much the same price
Old 18 October 2018, 08:09 AM   #9
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

It turns out the watch was delivered to Boutiques today and was able to snag the extra one. Should get tomorrow
Old 18 October 2018, 12:38 PM   #10
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
It turns out the watch was delivered to Boutiques today and was able to snag the extra one. Should get tomorrow
Congrats!!

Looks like there are DST indicators: the lines and asterisks next to cities with DST, that designate 1 hour later on the 24-hour ring
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:01 PM   #11
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Enjoy it! I personally prefer the more plain Polaris models. I have tried them on and they look nice.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:34 PM   #12
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Not the same watch, but I had the Polaris Date, very nice if not very comfortable (the strap is super long and i have smallish wrists).

But what killed it for me is that I swam with it and experienced water intrusion, a 200m rated watch couldn't handle a swim in a pool with my 1 year old... after it came back from warranty repairs, I sold it
Old 18 October 2018, 01:35 PM   #13
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Ed,,
Yes i realized that after I posted.. It was the VC overseas World time that does not have the DST markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Congrats!!

Looks like there are DST indicators: the lines and asterisks next to cities with DST, that designate 1 hour later on the 24-hour ring
Old 18 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #14
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I ended up buying the bracelet with it.. Will see tomorrow how it works out

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Not the same watch, but I had the Polaris Date, very nice if not very comfortable (the strap is super long and i have smallish wrists).

But what killed it for me is that I swam with it and experienced water intrusion, a 200m rated watch couldn't handle a swim in a pool with my 1 year old... after it came back from warranty repairs, I sold it
Old 18 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #15
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I liked their chrono model too

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Enjoy it! I personally prefer the more plain Polaris models. I have tried them on and they look nice.
Old 18 October 2018, 10:13 PM   #16
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it. I also went into a boutique this week to enquire. I tried on the non limited edition Chrono for size. I think it may have been the titanium one as it felt very light? The lady said I could order the limited edition one with a deposit but I’m undecided between this and a VC offshore Chrono 49150 as a sporty watch given they are about the same price at the moment (if not a bit cheaper for the Vacheron!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DBBB32ED-532C-4FE5-95F3-7E266C3ACA8B.jpeg (171.2 KB, 228 views)
Old 19 October 2018, 02:33 AM   #17
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Looks oversized with that thin bezel for a 42mm. With big wrists could be OK
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 02:47 PM   #18
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

First look

Here is the first look. It is very comfortable. I had to purchase the bracelet as an extra but i much prefer over the strap.. will write more once i have a chance to play with a bit more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4831w.jpg (144.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 21 October 2018, 09:46 PM   #19
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have had some time with it.
Old 22 October 2018, 05:45 AM   #20
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Here are some comments the plus and minus issues as I see it.
The watch with the bracelet is very comfortable. I have a small 6.4 in wrist and wears well. Not heavy by any means. I do like PR indicators on both manual and automatic. In reality the most important complication one can have after time and date. The dials are easy to read. Even the date is readable for the size of the dial. So good contrast. I like the DST markings as well.

The 10'oclock crown moves the 24hr dial, city dial and small time dial at 6'oclock. The main crown in the 2 position moves the 24hr dial and the small time dial. To set the time by main crown you end up moving the two time dials, 24hr dial and city dial. The one negative is that the only way to use the two time dials as a true GMT is if you set the small dial to the local time and leave the main time dial as the home time. I would prefer the opposite scenario. You can set the two dials for two time zones as you wish but then the 24hr dial/city dials will not be set correctly.

Minor issues -- The 5' end of the central seconds hand is a bit longer than i like. Overall i like this very much. Could easily be a daily wear piece. Happy to answer any questions.
Old 5 November 2018, 04:53 AM   #21
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

correction to original post

I need to correct one thing i stated in the initial review. You can set the larger time dial to local time and leave the smaller dial with home time while maintaining the correct time zones around the rest of the globe. The ring time will be set to the home time. This is not important to me. So this is definitely desired scenario !!!
Old 5 November 2018, 11:13 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Beauty!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote