The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2018, 03:50 PM   #1
MasterPetro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT SkyFall
Omega to Rolex: GMT BLNR vs Exp 2

Hello,

I’m new to the Rolex forum but I’ve read quite a number of threads by this point. I’ve just graduated college as a new engineer and I have a sincere fascination with mechanical watches. My first high end watch was a Hamilton Khaki King and then I jumped into a used Omega Aqua Terra Quartz... after that one bit the dust because it wasn’t THAT water proof (rusted out inside from water entering) I upgraded to a mint 2013 model of the 38.5mm Aqua Terra nicknamed the SkyFall Edition with their 8500 caliber movement. Needless to say it’s a beautiful watch, but now that I’m a full time engineer I’d like to expand the collection with one a bit more fulfilling without being too blingy as I am a new engineer still.

My favorites are hands down the Exp II 42 mm and the GMT master BLNR. Only problem is deciding which one to buy! I’m a very active person (hiking, traveling, kayaking, fishing, etc) and usually have my watches on a NATO strap (yes I wear it on a NATO to work). More comfortable, no damage to the band, more subtle watch. Win-win.

Considering either watch is most likely to live out a good chunk of its life on a different band, I’m speaking more to the durability of the watch itself, not the band. Which watch is more likely to hold up to the wear and tear and general abuse I will inevitably put it through? Which one is a better long-term daily wear watch considering outdoors, office and occasional formal wear? I’ve thought about the steel bezel accumulating scratches and the ceramic cracking or chipping. Devil’s advocate isn’t helping so I thought I would turn to the experts here. Would appreciate any advice, comments or suggestions where/how to get the best deal and to pick between these 2. I’m 6’1” and 200 lbs so neither watch seems too small on my wrist.
MasterPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Given your post and active, outdoor, lifestyle the Explorer II would be my recommendation.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:07 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i prefer the explorer II.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:27 PM   #4
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Explorer II for an active person like you. Explorer has PARAFLEX and GMT BLNR not.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #5
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Another vote for the Explorer II.

Always see if you can “test drive” both and see which one speaks to you when you wear it!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:32 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to TRF and congratulations on your graduation and career start .. quite an exciting time

Both references are fantastic choices I’d advise you to go try them on, but with the recent lack of availability... that could prove to be difficult. I prefer the rugged toolwatch character of the Exp2. I’d also go white dial as I find it’s one of the most legible models out there.

Good luck
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I have a BLNR and absolutely love it. But I agree with others, if you live an adventurous lifestyle, the Exp II is the better watch for you. You get the GMT function and same movement but it’s a little more durable in terms of more brushed steal and therefore better conducive to an active lifestyle.

Can’t go wrong with either one through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 09:55 PM   #8
slide13
"TRF" Member

For wear on a nato I’d go with an older ExpII 5 digit case with lug holes and shoulderless springbars. Best setup for nato wear in my opinion.
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 10:52 PM   #9
MasterPetro
"TRF" Member

Is there any reason to believe the GMT master ii would hold up better because of its ceramic bezel? Or am I just imagining that. Thanks for all the quick responses.
Old 11 July 2018, 11:14 PM   #10
ytsethunder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPetro View Post
Is there any reason to believe the GMT master ii would hold up better because of its ceramic bezel? Or am I just imagining that. Thanks for all the quick responses.

Will hold up infinitely better against scratches. Give that ceramic big enough a knock and you’re on the hook for a very expensive repair. ExpII will just dent.

ytsethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:15 PM   #11
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Yes and no.

Yes - the ceramic bezel will hold up better to scratches, whereas the Explorer II bezel will definitely pick up scratches. The GMT II bezel will always look as new as it did when you bought it.

No - the downside of the ceramic bezel is a risk of it cracking with a hard impact. It’s not a big risk, and there are not many cracked bezels, but there are still records of (some ...very few) ceramic GMT II and Submariner bezels cracking. Rare, but possible.

So, yes and no.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:20 PM   #12
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say because of the bezel- but the added paraflex in the explorer is definitely a plus if you will wear the watch all the time. plus I think the explorer would be an all around better outdoors watch as to not draw too much attention if you socialize and still be a very functional tool for you!

just my opinion.
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 11:34 PM   #13
MasterPetro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowton23 View Post
I wouldn't say because of the bezel- but the added paraflex in the explorer is definitely a plus if you will wear the watch all the time. plus I think the explorer would be an all around better outdoors watch as to not draw too much attention if you socialize and still be a very functional tool for you!

just my opinion.
Thank you for the input! I assume that’s because the explorer is less obviously Rolex and the GMT master is unmistakably so?
Old 11 July 2018, 11:43 PM   #14
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I'd go with the Explorer
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:24 AM   #15
doramas
Banned

Explorer ll
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:31 AM   #16
hai.tranhr
"TRF" Member

BLNR is my advice for you. It keep balance for all your styles, from outdoor to office. It keeps value better than Ex
hai.tranhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:38 AM   #17
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the input! I assume that’s because the explorer is less obviously Rolex and the GMT master is unmistakably so?

I think the explorer wears natos better than the BLNR and will fit in/ complement whatever you wear outdoors AND at work. The BLNR would look great at work but might draw some attention if you’re out hiking or camping. Here’s a pic of my outdoors watch as some food for thought

Old 12 July 2018, 12:40 AM   #18
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
smaller crown tucked in between crown horns, fix bezel, EXII
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7650.JPG (190.1 KB, 595 views)
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:41 AM   #19
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

The EXii isn't a bad choice, but the GMT BLNR is hands above it for a variety of reasons IMO. Granted it does have a ceramic bezel, however all the other features the BLNR offers far outweigh those of the EXii.
I thought the EXii would be a great piece, but I've never been so sure of 'this isn't a piece for me' as I was with the EXii. And that was after giving it an honest effort for about 6 weeks. The BLNR I've had for almost 2 years and smile every time I wear it. My .02....
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:42 AM   #20
Ben.McDonald7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116500LN
Coming from someone who has owned an Aqua Terra and currently own a BLNR i think the Explorer ll better fits your needs. I would recommend having a 2 watch rotation if you can do it with your more active outdoor watch being a diver.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Philippians 3:13-14
Ω Omega Speedmaster Pro
Ω Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Good Planet LE
Rolex Daytona 116500LN
Rolex Submariner Date 126610LV
Rolex Explorer II 16570
Ben.McDonald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:48 AM   #21
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Don't forget sapphire glass cracking may happen on either watch too, if there is any violent hit on its face. I think the scratch issue may be more important in your case. I would definitely choose the BLNR if I were you.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:54 AM   #22
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

just look on instagram and see some pictures of both of the watches in the wild and see which one you like more. thats imo the best resource out there. real pics from real people
Old 12 July 2018, 12:55 AM   #23
AlpinweissM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/ExplorerII
I own both and I am also an engineer with an active lifestyle out here in Colorado. Honestly, either one will keep up with you. Buy which ever one you like more. Just don’t ask me which one is better since clearly I couldn’t decide so bought both
AlpinweissM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:31 AM   #24
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

They will both last you a lifetime, so buy the one you simply like more.
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 06:50 AM   #25
cenzo86
"TRF" Member

I just picked a 16570 polar over a BLNR. In the end, I found the GMT would have been too fancy for my lifestyle. I don't wear a suit and I don't have a desk job, so I thought I would end up keeping the GMT parked in the winder. This watch was mean to be my daily piece to replace my Timex Expedition. A more appropriate replacement than an Explorer II doesn't exist.
I am only wearing my Explorer II for a total of 6 hours and can't get enough of my reflection in the mirror. I knew it was me.
IMG_20180711_160343.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
cenzo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 07:39 AM   #26
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
For strap wear, last year 16570, forget the NATO ,and get an Erikas’s Original strap.

Old 12 July 2018, 08:26 AM   #27
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
There is no right answer from any of us. They are both great watches. Follow your gut! You'll have a much longer honeymoon phase. I personally love my Explorer 11 and put it on a NATO from time to time. I smile at my watch every day but it's because I followed my gut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer on Nato.JPG (238.0 KB, 457 views)
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:33 AM   #28
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I have a black Explorer II and and a black GMT. If I could only have one it would be the Explorer II all day long. They are both fantastic choices and by all means get the one that sings to you more, but for an active guy go Explorer II.

Good luck deciding!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:54 AM   #29
Kelex
Banned

deep down, there should be one you should like more.... go for it.
Kelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:30 AM   #30
Spoonage

Congrats on Graduating. What kind of Engineer are you? I just assume everyone's an ME (cause I am LOL). All joking aside, I've worn the BLNR hiking, camping, swimming, in the rain forest, military, etc. etc. Still looks great. But I do agree with others that the Explorer II would look better on a NATO than the BLNR
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote