The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 October 2018, 10:27 PM   #1
kans86
"TRF" Member

Going back to vintage - Rolex 1680

Hi everyone,
I used to have a few 4 digit (5508 and 6263) but now only keep some 5 and 6 digits.
I am currently thinking about going back to vintage and getting a Red 1680 but look like its price has been rising greatly last few years. A dealer has 1 in good condition, original dial, bezel and hands and he asked for 30k USD.
How do you think about the price of the 1680 these days? what would be a fair price for a decent one? will the price keep rising?
Thanks.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 10:38 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Crazy price, asking and getting are two different things
Old 8 October 2018, 12:19 AM   #3
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Depends upon condition...

I recently looked into this same question and, after doing so, paid more than that. Prices are just really high right now, which is unfortunate for people like me who, for various reasons, didn't get involved earlier. If the case and dial are in truly excellent shape, then $30K USD is reasonable in the current market. But it's impossible for anyone to answer that question for your particular piece without seeing clear pics. Good luck with it!
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:11 AM   #4
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I recently looked into this same question and, after doing so, paid more than that. Prices are just really high right now, which is unfortunate for people like me who, for various reasons, didn't get involved earlier. If the case and dial are in truly excellent shape, then $30K USD is reasonable in the current market. But it's impossible for anyone to answer that question for your particular piece without seeing clear pics. Good luck with it!
Thanks. I forget to take some pics, will try to.
Old 9 October 2018, 01:39 PM   #5
kans86
"TRF" Member

Does this one look good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1680.jpeg (275.1 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpeg 1680 3.jpeg (178.9 KB, 508 views)
Old 9 October 2018, 11:00 PM   #6
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
It might be fair at the moment but I think everything is a little inflated right now. Where will it be in 5 years, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:54 AM   #7
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
I'm sure the experts will chime in but from what I can see, that's a Mark V dial but it looks like a service insert. For $30K, I think I'd want an original insert at the very least.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:12 AM   #8
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
I'm sure the experts will chime in but from what I can see, that's a Mark V dial but it looks like a service insert. For $30K, I think I'd want an original insert at the very least.
Yes this has a service insert. Is around 22k would be a fair price?
Old 12 October 2018, 06:24 PM   #9
kans86
"TRF" Member

Anymore comments would be welcomed please.
Old 13 October 2018, 03:58 AM   #10
116710er
"TRF" Member

I just want to get out of the way that I'm no vintage expert nor do I play one on TV. I own later 1680 Red Sub (3.7M) so what I know is based on what I've learned researching my own 1680 Red and see prices in the past couple years.

So to start off, I think hard to say what's a "fair" price because a lot of depends on how bad you want it. Plus the market is a bit crazy right now so who knows if this is the new normal or just a spike? Also, I think lot of people on TRF who have 1680 Reds probably bought them back when prices weren't so crazy so that probably colors their opinion on what is a "fair" price. It's more about what you're willing to pay for one right now.

To me, that looks like a nice example. Lugs and crown guards look thick and even (at least based on those photos). The dial/hands and even the pip have nice matching patina. The pip having patina is odd because I thought those service inserts came with Luminova pips...maybe it's a older one or the pip was replaced with a Tritium one, dunno for sure. I would UV light test it to make sure it's not filled with matching color paint. Either way, I'd want to get a proper insert and that's gonna be anywhere from $1300 to $3000 (at least that's the range I've been seeing as of late) so you might want to consider that in your pricing.

I'm guessing that bracelet is probably a newer 93150 with 580 end links which makes for a nicer wearing 1680 but a proper 9315 plus 280/380 end links would be original to the watch. My 1680 Red came with a 93150/580 combo and while it would be nice to find a 9315 w/280 or 380 end links, I'm not going out of my way (or too deep into my wallet) in order to secure one. I've taken on the "if I find it for a good price, great, if not, whatever..." sort of mindset with that....mostly because I think the folded link bracelets are junk.

Also probably has a service crystal (I can't tell from these photos) which I'd want changed back to an original crystal...that's another $200-275 plus installation costs.

So again, it really comes back down to "is it worth $22K to you". Only you can answer that. For me, if everything is as it seems, I would want the price to in the mid/high teens to make room for some parts correction and work.
Old 13 October 2018, 04:24 AM   #11
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
I just want to get out of the way that I'm no vintage expert nor do I play one on TV. I own later 1680 Red Sub (3.7M) so what I know is based on what I've learned researching my own 1680 Red and see prices in the past couple years.

So to start off, I think hard to say what's a "fair" price because a lot of depends on how bad you want it. Plus the market is a bit crazy right now so who knows if this is the new normal or just a spike? Also, I think lot of people on TRF who have 1680 Reds probably bought them back when prices weren't so crazy so that probably colors their opinion on what is a "fair" price. It's more about what you're willing to pay for one right now.

To me, that looks like a nice example. Lugs and crown guards look thick and even (at least based on those photos). The dial/hands and even the pip have nice matching patina. The pip having patina is odd because I thought those service inserts came with Luminova pips...maybe it's a older one or the pip was replaced with a Tritium one, dunno for sure. I would UV light test it to make sure it's not filled with matching color paint. Either way, I'd want to get a proper insert and that's gonna be anywhere from $1300 to $3000 (at least that's the range I've been seeing as of late) so you might want to consider that in your pricing.

I'm guessing that bracelet is probably a newer 93150 with 580 end links which makes for a nicer wearing 1680 but a proper 9315 plus 280/380 end links would be original to the watch. My 1680 Red came with a 93150/580 combo and while it would be nice to find a 9315 w/280 or 380 end links, I'm not going out of my way (or too deep into my wallet) in order to secure one. I've taken on the "if I find it for a good price, great, if not, whatever..." sort of mindset with that....mostly because I think the folded link bracelets are junk.

Also probably has a service crystal (I can't tell from these photos) which I'd want changed back to an original crystal...that's another $200-275 plus installation costs.

So again, it really comes back down to "is it worth $22K to you". Only you can answer that. For me, if everything is as it seems, I would want the price to in the mid/high teens to make room for some parts correction and work.
you pretty much covered most of what I was going to say in terms of parts. Later bracelet which is no big deal and has little effect on the value. 9315's pop up for around 2k in great condition, you could get 800 to 1k for the bracelet that's fitted on the watch now, to offset the replacement cost.

The service insert had it's pearl changed to be more pleasing to the eyes which is common for vintage watches with service inserts. Correct MK3 inserts are all over the map, condition will dictate price on those in the end. I see them from 1500 to north of 3k for super mint and super fat fonts. I'm sure you can find one in the middle of that range for around 2k.

I think the watch looks nice. The seller isn't going to go for "high teens" on this piece, I can guarantee it.

Market is dry and this is a quality piece. I think 25k cash offer could get you the watch. But thinking the seller is going to come down 12k in price is a stretch.

I wouldn't expect the market to come crashing down in a few years, but it will level off i'm sure.

Pay what you feel comfortable with, sometimes you have to pay a little bit more for a watch that doesn't have any issues.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 05:29 AM   #12
Rvltn123
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful specimen. Agree that the insert is distracting, but not a deal breaker. Neither is the bracelet. Love the matching patina.
Rvltn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 05:34 AM   #13
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Market is dry and this is a quality piece. I think 25k cash offer could get you the watch. But thinking the seller is going to come down 12k in price is a stretch.
Oh I was going based on a $22K price based on the later posts by the OP...I misconstrued as that being a $22K asking price. If we're talking a $30K asking from the original post, then I agree that getting it down to $18K would be unrealistic. Based on a $30K ask, $25K would be reasonable but at $25K, I'd want the period correct bezel, bracelet and end links. That's just too much money if you want to "correct" this 1680 (IMO).
Old 13 October 2018, 05:52 AM   #14
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I was going based on a $22K price based on the later posts by the OP...I misconstrued as that being a $22K asking price. If we're talking a $30K asking from the original post, then I agree that getting it down to $18K would be unrealistic. Based on a $30K ask, $25K would be reasonable but at $25K, I'd want the period correct bezel, bracelet and end links. That's just too much money if you want to "correct" this 1680 (IMO).
I agree it is all too much money. But it seems to be what the market will bare today.

The bracelet currently on the watch will offset the cost because the OP could get a grand for it.

I feel like finding a piece that is exactly what you're looking for is very hard, esp in today's market. Every piece will have a flaw. Some are correctable and some flaws are not.

The alternative is for the OP to wait it out until another one pops up on the market. It might be a little more polished and might have some other small flaws, it's the risk of passing on a piece you already like..

Sometimes those risks payoff and sometimes they don't.

I wouldn't want to be in that watch for more than 22-25k personally in today's market. 30k is too much. But depending on how bad you want this particular piece, that will determine what you will need to spend to get it.

see where you can make a deal happen. Best of luck to the OP and please let us know what the outcome is?
Old 13 October 2018, 06:27 AM   #15
116710er
"TRF" Member

SubKing- Your analysis makes perfect sense. On the scale atrocities that has happened to other 1680's (including my own which suffers from a highly over polished case), this one has very minor, easily correctable (but not cheap) issues.

OP, good luck brotha, I hope you get what you want!
Old 13 October 2018, 06:53 AM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
you pretty much covered most of what I was going to say in terms of parts. Later bracelet which is no big deal and has little effect on the value. 9315's pop up for around 2k in great condition, you could get 800 to 1k for the bracelet that's fitted on the watch now, to offset the replacement cost.

The service insert had it's pearl changed to be more pleasing to the eyes which is common for vintage watches with service inserts. Correct MK3 inserts are all over the map, condition will dictate price on those in the end. I see them from 1500 to north of 3k for super mint and super fat fonts. I'm sure you can find one in the middle of that range for around 2k.

I think the watch looks nice. The seller isn't going to go for "high teens" on this piece, I can guarantee it.

I wouldn't expect the market to come crashing down in a few years, but it will level off i'm sure.

Pay what you feel comfortable with, sometimes you have to pay a little bit more for a watch that doesn't have any issues.
Personally, I believe the watch is high based on what it is. I would expect it to be totally correct to include the bracelet for $25,000 and then it is still high.

Jinson has a gorgeous meters first for sale at $26,000 and it is all correct.

You can what you pay for! I'd take a vintage 1960s meters first before the later feet first at close to the same price.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 07:15 AM   #17
116710er
"TRF" Member

Yeah for basically the same money, a clean and correct MF would be a better buy me thinks..

krlyuzh over on VRM has a 1973 Mk.VI for $19.8K...Comes with a USA C&I Rivet bracelet dated 1975...he says it's correct but I thought the 73's would have come with a folded link bracelet with a no-date clasp...at least that's what I've been looking for for my '73...
Old 13 October 2018, 07:49 AM   #18
Antognoli
"TRF" Member

Can definitely find a better example for 30k if you were to spend 30k on one...thats box/papers territory.
Antognoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 06:55 PM   #19
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you very much. Your assessment largely matches the details provided by the seller that the insert and armband were replaced in earlier service. He did not mention the crystal was changed though.
Old 13 October 2018, 06:56 PM   #20
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you very much.
Old 13 October 2018, 07:00 PM   #21
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Personally, I believe the watch is high based on what it is. I would expect it to be totally correct to include the bracelet for $25,000 and then it is still high.

You can what you pay for! I'd take a vintage 1960s meters first before the later feet first at close to the same price.
26k for a meters first would be a good price.
Old 14 October 2018, 12:16 AM   #22
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

Jinson is asking 27,500 in his listing.

It is indeed very nice, however I am the one who is in the group that wouldn’t spend a huge premium on meters first for that small detail. (Not to say the premium isn’t justified in the market) it’s just personal preference. A nice mf or ff or equally pleasing to me, unless tropical is a factor then that’s a different story.

I stand by my original evaluation that I would prefer to be 22-25k giving today’s market. Spending the higher end of that range would be if I had to have that particular piece and didn’t want to lose out.

I think the OP should see if he can score the other piece first for 22k. I think it’s a nice watch with nice case and nice patina, 22k seems like he would be sitting well and it might be a price the seller can live with.

I think if OP looks for a different piece with lower a lower price tag, it could have some other small flaws that will hurt the value.

Part of the risk/excitement of the hobby
Old 14 October 2018, 10:33 PM   #23
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jinson is asking 27,500 in his listing.

It is indeed very nice, however I am the one who is in the group that wouldn’t spend a huge premium on meters first for that small detail. (Not to say the premium isn’t justified in the market) it’s just personal preference. A nice mf or ff or equally pleasing to me, unless tropical is a factor then that’s a different story.

I stand by my original evaluation that I would prefer to be 22-25k giving today’s market. Spending the higher end of that range would be if I had to have that particular piece and didn’t want to lose out.

I think the OP should see if he can score the other piece first for 22k. I think it’s a nice watch with nice case and nice patina, 22k seems like he would be sitting well and it might be a price the seller can live with.

I think if OP looks for a different piece with lower a lower price tag, it could have some other small flaws that will hurt the value.

Part of the risk/excitement of the hobby

Thank you again.

I think I am trying to get it down to 20K. Is it a better price?
Old 15 October 2018, 02:32 AM   #24
Rvltn123
"TRF" Member

Have you tried Bob's Watches? They have some at the lower $20s range.
Rvltn123 is offline   Reply With Quote