The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2017, 05:04 AM   #31
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Nice thanks for sharing
Glad you enjoyed it, Danny
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 06:32 AM   #32
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Thanks! Your experience sounds incredible there! The freedom and joy of owning a plane must be out of this world! Where did you end up flying the most? What was the longest flight?
Many of our flights were sunrise or sunset flights over the north Georgia/North Carolina mountains. We made a lot of day trips to different airports for the "$200.00 Hamburger".
Loved flying into Gastons beside the White River in Arkansas. Some of the absolute best trout fishing (especially in Oct.) in the lower 48. Turf field, lots of fun.
Many trips from PDK (Chamblee,Ga) to New Smyrna Beach, FL.
Many to Shelbyville,TN. Ashville, NC. Savannah, GA

Would have to break out the log book to remember them all. It was a great experience all around.

Longest would be from PDK to Wellington, KS. This trip was for the 180 H.P. Engine upgrade and installation of long range fuel tanks. Great upgrades. Increased speed, gross weight increase, increased ceiling, and decreased take-off roll. http://www.airplains.com

A few years later my brother-in-law purchased a new King Air 350 and hired a full time pilot. Never piloted the King Air, but had many trips in it around the country hunting and fishing. Sold the Cessna for a tidy profit. One of the only times I've ever profited financially from a hobby or recreational item.

Have fun and stay safe.
Old 28 August 2017, 09:11 AM   #33
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
Many of our flights were sunrise or sunset flights over the north Georgia/North Carolina mountains. We made a lot of day trips to different airports for the "$200.00 Hamburger".
Loved flying into Gastons beside the White River in Arkansas. Some of the absolute best trout fishing (especially in Oct.) in the lower 48. Turf field, lots of fun.
Many trips from PDK (Chamblee,Ga) to New Smyrna Beach, FL.
Many to Shelbyville,TN. Ashville, NC. Savannah, GA

Would have to break out the log book to remember them all. It was a great experience all around.

Longest would be from PDK to Wellington, KS. This trip was for the 180 H.P. Engine upgrade and installation of long range fuel tanks. Great upgrades. Increased speed, gross weight increase, increased ceiling, and decreased take-off roll. http://www.airplains.com

A few years later my brother-in-law purchased a new King Air 350 and hired a full time pilot. Never piloted the King Air, but had many trips in it around the country hunting and fishing. Sold the Cessna for a tidy profit. One of the only times I've ever profited financially from a hobby or recreational item.

Have fun and stay safe.

Incredible stories there, thanks for sharing that with me! Man oh man, I'm sure you'll take a trip down memory lane the second you take a peek at those log books!

I'm going to have a thorough look at that link you shared, seems so cool! I like the idea of long range tanks and increased service ceiling! Reading about all of this and researching is somehow almost as much fun as being at the airport! The smell of that burning fuel from a plane pulling up beside the hanger as we finished the pre-flight has remained with me in the best of ways!

Thanks again and I'll be sure to stay safe out there!!
Old 28 August 2017, 02:29 PM   #34
moyski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that Garmin G1000 in action in a few YouTube videos. Learning with the traditional analog instruments seems best but I feel as if the layout of the G1000 makes things much easier. I'll eventually get there, some day lol. Having a larger screen for navigation seems best.
Oh yeah! The G1000 would definitely spoil you! I feel that system is so much better than a lot of commercial planes flying right now!

But learning from analog instruments first is best! We have to learn how to crawl before learning how to walk!
moyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 03:07 PM   #35
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I'm doing everything I can to be better prepared for the next session. The airport closure for the 4 weeks is just around the corner, they're extending one of the runways and doing some maintenance. https://www.liveatc.net/ is a neat site someone point out to me, to get used to that aspect of things.

Also, for what the G1000 cost it should be nothing short of incredible! lol
Old 29 August 2017, 12:13 AM   #36
hangoveryang
"TRF" Member

Wow! Congrats on the big leap you've had!
Can't wait for my PPL to start too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hangoveryang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 12:18 AM   #37
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! I have had my PPL for a few years now and flying is one of my favorite things in the world. Training was very fun and challenging at times, but so rewarding. I also find it is a great for of stress relief. After a long day, I can zip over to the airport, throw open the hangar and just cruise around to clear my head. I live in a rural area, so we don't have a ton of air traffic. Some days, it can be silent up there. My dad and I share a Piper Cherokee. Looking to upgrade soon!
Old 30 August 2017, 01:46 AM   #38
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangoveryang View Post
Wow! Congrats on the big leap you've had!
Can't wait for my PPL to start too!

Thanks! So many days later and I'm seeing it more clearly each day just how much this has changed my life! It's all I can think about!

I'm spending a lot of my down time researching to learn more etc. Liveatc.net is helping me get used to that aspect of it. My next time up should be less overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Congratulations! I have had my PPL for a few years now and flying is one of my favorite things in the world. Training was very fun and challenging at times, but so rewarding. I also find it is a great for of stress relief. After a long day, I can zip over to the airport, throw open the hangar and just cruise around to clear my head. I live in a rural area, so we don't have a ton of air traffic. Some days, it can be silent up there. My dad and I share a Piper Cherokee. Looking to upgrade soon!
Thanks!!! Man, you're so lucky to be on an area like that! As you can see, where I flew sort of is too, especially further North. That being said though due to the fact it was a Friday at 13:00 there wasn't as much traffic as the Saturday I'll bet.

I'll never forget looking down 1,500 feet at that helicopter as the instructor pointed to it and told me to watch out for it as I turned towards the lake.

Just thinking about my experience served as a wonderful stress reliever! I sit at my cubicle and think of this to maintain my sanity lol.

The more people into this I get to know, the better. I want to check out some of the events like air rallies in the future. For now my focus is on studying until I'm back up in the air thought.
Old 30 August 2017, 09:34 AM   #39
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Thanks for sharing!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 03:31 PM   #40
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

No problem, Alex!
Old 14 December 2017, 03:03 PM   #41
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Love this thread as I have been considering getting my private pilot cert.
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 06:41 PM   #42
MonBK
Banned

Brings back so many memories.

Spent countless Hr's in Piper Cub, 152, 172 and Bell Jet ranger (in that order).
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 09:42 PM   #43
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

OK everybody, let's see if you remember the end number of the first plane you ever soloed. Me first, N8135C, a Piper Cherokee.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:40 PM   #44
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
That’s very cool Rommel. Thanks for sharing the experience with us. I’m sure you’ll pass with flying colors.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:58 PM   #45
toomann
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
N30748 - Allegro 2000 light sport

Currently fly piper Cherokee 180 6303J

Safe flying!
toomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 01:07 AM   #46
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Congrats! Pretty soon you’ll be up to what I used to do. Did they have any F-18s to rent?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 01:35 AM   #47
function12
"TRF" Member

I soloed with 5.4 hours. It was a very scary experience being by myself the first time. It was in a Cessna 152. You sure did hear a lot of different sounds when you were flying solo.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:11 AM   #48
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
In my college days I was accepted into Army Aviation. However , my student teaching wound up taking preference over flight training. Good thing because after graduation went to Vietnam. I would have been a helo pilot. Many fatalities among them. I did get to put 19 hours flight time on them traveling between outposts. First time I wore my flak jacket. Sgt told me to sit on it not wear it.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 08:59 AM   #49
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige_Swiss View Post
Love this thread as I have been considering getting my private pilot cert.
You should totally do it! At least go get your introductory lesson out of the way! You'll never regret even doing just that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Brings back so many memories.

Spent countless Hr's in Piper Cub, 152, 172 and Bell Jet ranger (in that order).
That's awesome, Mon! I had no idea you've spent time in those planes. I'm certain you'll have a few good stories to share! Those are always great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
OK everybody, let's see if you remember the end number of the first plane you ever soloed. Me first, N8135C, a Piper Cherokee.
Yes! Would love to know what most people did their first solo flight in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
That’s very cool Rommel. Thanks for sharing the experience with us. I’m sure you’ll pass with flying colors.
Thanks, Rich! When the time comes I'm certain I will too Waiting and doing it all at once to avoid having gaps in between, don't want to be rusty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomann View Post
N30748 - Allegro 2000 light sport

Currently fly piper Cherokee 180 6303J

Safe flying!
Nice! Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Congrats! Pretty soon you’ll be up to what I used to do. Did they have any F-18s to rent?
I wish, Paul! It's always been a dream of mine and it'll be nice to one day have. I'm sure you've got quite a few incredible stories as well from your experiences! Incredible achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by function12 View Post
I soloed with 5.4 hours. It was a very scary experience being by myself the first time. It was in a Cessna 152. You sure did hear a lot of different sounds when you were flying solo.
Wow! One thing I can say was it all happened so quickly, even on the first time. 5.4 hours, you certainly picked up on it quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
In my college days I was accepted into Army Aviation. However , my student teaching wound up taking preference over flight training. Good thing because after graduation went to Vietnam. I would have been a helo pilot. Many fatalities among them. I did get to put 19 hours flight time on them traveling between outposts. First time I wore my flak jacket. Sgt told me to sit on it not wear it.
Wow, now that's quite the story there! Although one wouldn't think to sit on it vs. wearing it, this makes perfect sense!
Old 16 December 2017, 10:46 AM   #50
mph57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
N757WV, C-152, 1982...stuck with it...now B777
mph57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 09:34 AM   #51
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

I love this thread. Is there a pilot thread around? Great photos as well.
Old 4 January 2018, 11:38 AM   #52
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I love this thread. Is there a pilot thread around? Great photos as well.
Glad you enjoyed it, John It sure would be nice to have a topic on TRF catering to aviation nuts.
Old 4 January 2018, 11:41 AM   #53
eman1200
"TRF" Member

Any more flights since the intro ride?
eman1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:36 PM   #54
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
My first solo Navy 3E048 A T34C-Mentor. April of 1985. 3”Echo” was the squadron Identifier (VT-3) and 048 the tail number. I did four landings at an outlying field in Alabama, Brewton if I remember correctly, then flew back and landed at North Whiting field in Milton Florida. The whole flight was maybe 90 minutes... I have pictures of it on one of my old computers and will post it soon. Never forget that.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:46 PM   #55
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Any more flights since the intro ride?
I haven't been back yet. Was focusing on other things and ultimately decided (for the most part) to wait until I'm ready to complete the PPL all in one shot (limiting any gaps in between). It's always a part of who I am and what I'm into though! Reading up on things and preparing myself is almost as much fun as actually being at the airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My first solo Navy 3E048 A T34C-Mentor. April of 1985. 3”Echo” was the squadron Identifier (VT-3) and 048 the tail number. I did four landings at an outlying field in Alabama, Brewton if I remember correctly, then flew back and landed at North Whiting field in Milton Florida. The whole flight was maybe 90 minutes... I have pictures of it on one of my old computers and will post it soon. Never forget that.
That sounds awesome, Paul! I really hope you manage to find those images and post them! It's nice hearing peoples stories and other past memories! Although I've done just the one flight with an instructor so far, it's been life changing for me. I'll never forget that first time and find any tips or stories very helpful
Old 4 January 2018, 01:12 PM   #56
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

I downloaded the app LiveATC Radio that y'all posted and I literally stayed connected to it for like an hour on my visit to some of my stores which are a further drive out in my territory. Its crazy the traffic some of these airports get. JFK and LAX have been saved to favorites along with my local airports. I will admit that the one intimidating factor besides actually flying is radio communication. Thats what I am worried about the most. I will be scheduling my intro flight sometime this month. I am anxious to begin.
Old 4 January 2018, 02:14 PM   #57
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I downloaded the app LiveATC Radio that y'all posted and I literally stayed connected to it for like an hour on my visit to some of my stores which are a further drive out in my territory. Its crazy the traffic some of these airports get. JFK and LAX have been saved to favorites along with my local airports. I will admit that the one intimidating factor besides actually flying is radio communication. Thats what I am worried about the most. I will be scheduling my intro flight sometime this month. I am anxious to begin.
Once you get the hang of things it's a lot less of a worry. Luckily at this stage your instructor takes care of all that but no doubt good to begin preparing yourself. Someone sent me that link in a PM and listening to it really helped me become more comfortable with it.

The controls are very sensitive and the moment sensory overload hit me was shortly after taking the controls, taking direction from the instructor, beginning my first turn (ever), getting a radio notification from ATC about local traffic (a Helicopter that was 1,500 feet below us), the instructor asking me if I heard that, then asking me if I see the other aircraft, me holding the controls and looking down to the side, spotting it and gripping the controls tighter as we fly apart.

Yeah lol, certainly something that gets simple with time but that was indeed a memorable moment! No doubt spend as much time on LiveATC. It took me a while to try the different channels at airports like Toronto Pearson International (YYZ).
Old 4 January 2018, 02:31 PM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Great thread Rommel
Old 4 January 2018, 03:40 PM   #59
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Great thread Rommel
Glad you enjoyed the thread Thanks for having a look
Old 4 January 2018, 04:23 PM   #60
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Once you get the hang of things it's a lot less of a worry. Luckily at this stage your instructor takes care of all that but no doubt good to begin preparing yourself. Someone sent me that link in a PM and listening to it really helped me become more comfortable with it.

The controls are very sensitive and the moment sensory overload hit me was shortly after taking the controls, taking direction from the instructor, beginning my first turn (ever), getting a radio notification from ATC about local traffic (a Helicopter that was 1,500 feet below us), the instructor asking me if I heard that, then asking me if I see the other aircraft, me holding the controls and looking down to the side, spotting it and gripping the controls tighter as we fly apart.

Yeah lol, certainly something that gets simple with time but that was indeed a memorable moment! No doubt spend as much time on LiveATC. It took me a while to try the different channels at airports like Toronto Pearson International (YYZ).

All of those things sound intense. I look forward to the first sensory overload and I will definitely post the first experience. Maybe that aviation thread should be created.