The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 December 2017, 03:43 AM   #121
Bok88
"TRF" Member

Great post/updates. Keep positive. We can never be too relax in todays environment. Just had a neighbors car stolen from their garage while they were having Sunday dinner. Hope you recover those watches sooner and get thus thieves in jail where they rightfully belong.
Bok88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:05 AM   #122
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks again everyone. Heading to local pawn shops to look at Rolexes.

No, not a real buyer - just doing some shoe leather work.

New list of priorities for next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:19 AM   #123
CalSRQ1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
According to police investigators, that is a top theory. Second theory, an experienced crew. Last theory, a crime of opportunity.

I will share some more detail soon. Right now I am focused on the great support help from everyone. Thank you.

I was just able to hit the PMs people sent - was delayed because of time to respond. I appreciate those who have offered advice and even forwarded pictures/details of the stolen Rolexes. Every little bit helps. People scanning Craigslist, sharing to other watch networks, even Instagram certainly helps. Police also mentioned looking at pawn shops. Of course, I’m “bandwidth limited” for the time being so all the help I get is most appreciated.

In the spirit of helping readers - here are some learnings:

1- Never forget to arm your system.

Even if running what should have been a 30 minute errand. I couldn’t have guessed a family emergency some 2 hours away would have lengthened my task list into a 12-hour ordeal away from home.

On security systems:
Mine has 3 levels and I routinely had it set to level 2 for arming. I won’t cite the “big name” firm I use for monitoring - suffice it to say the best doesn’t matter if you forget.

Three levels? Yes, level 1 is passive “always on” for smoke, CO, and any glass break. This way breaking window glass even sets it off. The thieves used a pry tool to unseat a properly locked lower sash and pressed it inward. (No glass broken) Thus, LE believing it could be pro/experienced crew.

Level 2 is typical for most systems you know about. All wired and wireless sensors armed via keypad. It’s what you would use for nighttime monitoring. We also have proximity sensors for driveway and obscure entry doors. Those wake you up so you can react with, ahem, those hand-things you’d use for personal defense if someone approaches those sensors.

Level 3 is level 2 + full motion detection anywhere in the home. It is designed for times when you are away and nobody is at home. That would’ve cut the time down inside. It triggers instant sirens and a dispatch command.

Our monitoring is prominently displayed curbside at driveway and all entry points. So they knew security systems was here - or may have thought signage was a ruse. Either way - my learning is never let your guard down. This is the first R/B crew break-in since the neighborhood was developed in mid-1990’s. It is easy to be lulled into complacency for those short walks down the lane, or quick errands. Never again.

2- Use massive safe consistent with the value being secured.

In my case I was a serial flipper buying, trading, selling regularly since 2008. Often had many watches. But recently I had reduced to the two I lost. They were grails to keep for life. (A sidebar - when we say “lifetime keeper”, it depends upon whose lifetime - yours, or the watch’s life in your possession)

But, even with just my 2 and my recently deceased wife’s 2, the value was like the 8 or more that had been here a few months ago. So considering the value, a Platona and a DD deserve an 800 lb fireproof safe. Won’t need it now, but you might want one after reading this thread. If this saves one Rolex worth a lot, it is a wise investment.

3- Insurance
This is an area everyone debates and we shall never have unanimous agreement. When I was younger and had mortgages, car loans, etc. the holder of the notes called the tune. We had multiple policies as specified in the contracts. Full coverages all around at very high levels. Riders for the 5-figure items. But not with the past few acquisitions - so Platona & DD are on me.

Yes, you might say “stupid”. But here’s how I look at it...
I retired from years of being overpaid, earning bonuses and stock options leading teams at AT&T. I led, they produced. All of that is now invested and safe. My watch hobby was funded when I retired from active sports car racing. Sold the race cars, trailer, etc - repaid the home account for the original capital outlay - and bought my first Daytona with the left-over funds. I went from being the “nut behind the wheel” into Motorsports leadership in Race Control.

The Platona & DD were self-funded from that first Daytona and 10 years of flipping and trading. All the while rationing profits into the next one or two pieces. I have owned, worn, enjoyed some 50 models of Rolex, Omega, and other brands in serial fashion, a few at a time. I lost some value - $10K + the efforts flipping over 10 years...

But I’ll never lose the memories of owning those 50-ish watches over 10 years. I also made dozens of TRF friends and enjoyed many GTG’s, giveaways (did I mention I won 3rd prize once?) and the fond memories of posts by JJ, Jocke, VTCGuy and dozens of other memorable members.

No burglars can take that from me.

Yes our son will never get Dad’s DD. Our daughter won't have her mom’s diamond dialed OP. The grandkids never get to haggle over a Platona when I take the last checkered flag.

But I’ve got years to go and maybe - just maybe, as slim as the chances are - they will be recovered along with my heavenward wife’s OP’s.

Your help keeping eyes open - alerting your connections - and sharing input/ideas are a true value and most happily welcome.

Sorry for such a long rambling answer to your well-timed question. It is Sunday morning here and I had a few moments to share how much I value you folks. And balance my sense of loss with the rewards I’ve gained here.

Wow. Great post Paul...there’s a complete lesson in there for all of us about life and moving forward. So sorry for this experience but thanks for sharing your experience and educating/making something positive out of it.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:24 AM   #124
jamie mcilhatton
"TRF" Member

Sorry to read this, hope all works out and the criminals are caught.
You sound like a top bloke
All the best Jamie
jamie mcilhatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:26 AM   #125
Lawisme
Banned

I'm so sorry to hear all this. Disgusting...wise words Paul...

I'm not trying be "liked." I'm honest and to the point. That's my role here. But don't take me too seriously. Thanks!
Lawisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:46 AM   #126
Bdiesel570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
According to police investigators, that is a top theory. Second theory, an experienced crew. Last theory, a crime of opportunity.

I will share some more detail soon. Right now I am focused on the great support help from everyone. Thank you.

I was just able to hit the PMs people sent - was delayed because of time to respond. I appreciate those who have offered advice and even forwarded pictures/details of the stolen Rolexes. Every little bit helps. People scanning Craigslist, sharing to other watch networks, even Instagram certainly helps. Police also mentioned looking at pawn shops. Of course, I’m “bandwidth limited” for the time being so all the help I get is most appreciated.

Even if running what should have been a 30 minute errand. I couldn’t have guessed a family emergency some 2 hours away would have lengthened my task list into a 12-hour ordeal away from home.

On security systems:
Mine has 3 levels and I routinely had it set to level 2 for arming. I won’t cite the “big name” firm I use for monitoring - suffice it to say the best doesn’t matter if you forget.

Three levels? Yes, level 1 is passive “always on” for smoke, CO, and any glass break. This way breaking window glass even sets it off. The thieves used a pry tool to unseat a properly locked lower sash and pressed it inward. (No glass broken) Thus, LE believing it could be pro/experienced crew.

Level 2 is typical for most systems you know about. All wired and wireless sensors armed via keypad. It’s what you would use for nighttime monitoring. We also have proximity sensors for driveway and obscure entry doors. Those wake you up so you can react with, ahem, those hand-things you’d use for personal defense if someone approaches those sensors.

Level 3 is level 2 + full motion detection anywhere in the home. It is designed for times when you are away and nobody is at home. That would’ve cut the time down inside. It triggers instant sirens and a dispatch command.

Our monitoring is prominently displayed curbside at driveway and all entry points. So they knew security systems was here - or may have thought signage was a ruse. Either way - my learning is never let your guard down. This is the first R/B crew break-in since the neighborhood was developed in mid-1990’s. It is easy to be lulled into complacency for those short walks down the lane, or quick errands. Never again.

In my case I was a serial flipper buying, trading, selling regularly since 2008. Often had many watches. But recently I had reduced to the two I lost. They were grails to keep for life. (A sidebar - when we say “lifetime keeper”, it depends upon whose lifetime - yours, or the watch’s life in your possession)

But, even with just my 2 and my recently deceased wife’s 2, the value was like the 8 or more that had been here a few months ago. So considering the value, a Platona and a DD deserve an 800 lb fireproof safe. Won’t need it now, but you might want one after reading this thread. If this saves one Rolex worth a lot, it is a wise investment.

3- Insurance
This is an area everyone debates and we shall never have unanimous agreement. When I was younger and had mortgages, car loans, etc. the holder of the notes called the tune. We had multiple policies as specified in the contracts. Full coverages all around at very high levels. Riders for the 5-figure items. But not with the past few acquisitions - so Platona & DD are on me.

I retired from years of being overpaid, earning bonuses and stock options leading teams at AT&T. I led, they produced. All of that is now invested and safe. My watch hobby was funded when I retired from active sports car racing. Sold the race cars, trailer, etc - repaid the home account for the original capital outlay - and bought my first Daytona with the left-over funds. I went from being the “nut behind the wheel” into Motorsports leadership in Race Control.

The Platona & DD were self-funded from that first Daytona and 10 years of flipping and trading. All the while rationing profits into the next one or two pieces. I have owned, worn, enjoyed some 50 models of Rolex, Omega, and other brands in serial fashion, a few at a time. I lost some value - $10K + the efforts flipping over 10 years...

But I’ll never lose the memories of owning those 50-ish watches over 10 years. I also made dozens of TRF friends and enjoyed many GTG’s, giveaways (did I mention I won 3rd prize once?) and the fond memories of posts by JJ, Jocke, VTCGuy and dozens of other memorable members.

Yes our son will never get Dad’s DD. Our daughter won't have her mom’s diamond dialed OP. The grandkids never get to haggle over a Platona when I take the last checkered flag.

But I’ve got years to go and maybe - just maybe, as slim as the chances are - they will be recovered along with my heavenward wife’s OP’s.

Your help keeping eyes open - alerting your connections - and sharing input/ideas are a true value and most happily welcome.

Sorry for such a long rambling answer to your well-timed question. It is Sunday morning here and I had a few moments to share how much I value you folks. And balance my sense of loss with the rewards I’ve gained here.

Wonderful post. In even the darkest of situations there is always light.

Well said. I hope the perp gets caught and your property is retrieved.

Godspeed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"The will to live, will always outweigh the ability to die."
Bdiesel570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 05:56 AM   #127
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
So sad to hear about this situation. There are always positive things that come out of these difficult times. Try to find and focus on them. Be Well.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:16 AM   #128
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Sorry to hear, hope they catch the burglars and hopefully you recover them stolen watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:30 AM   #129
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Sorry the read about this. I can't stand thieves. Sorry to also hear about the insurance situation. It happens.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:52 AM   #130
SeeDweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Awful feeling

Paul, so sorry that your family emergency turned into an even more personal nightmare. We all think about that happening to us . . . and think about how we could prevent it, ... and then we go off to our daily lives and try not to think about it.
Then, it happens! Wow....
My best wishes to you and your family. And I, too, hope the guys are caught, and have to look you in the eye as they're tried...
'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:07 AM   #131
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
So sorry to hear about this!!

Hope it all gets resolved quickly - and they catch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:21 AM   #132
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Paul, so sorry to hear about your loss. I am pulling that you will be able to get them back. You have a great outlook and I admire you for it. Wishing you the best!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 08:24 AM   #133
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
I can't imagine coming home to find my home ransacked and personal items w/ meaning being stolen. Less about the $$, more about the the feeling of being violated by a complete wast of oxygen.

Glad to see that you have the right perspective about the situation. Sincerely hope that you're able to recover your watches and that the scumbag(s) are caught.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:19 PM   #134
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the additional support. Today went better in 3 ways...

First - Interesting pawnshop visit. The closest one has changed hands to the son of the owner I remembered meeting once. I go in and ask to look at Rolex (without saying why) and they don't have any. I look at the rings/jewelry for a shot in the dark. No luck..

The guys are great and I said why I was looking. All 3 say, "Don't repeat that story anywhere else". Because if the next pawn store knew what you were looking for and why, they'd try to get it gone before being stuck for the stolen goods. They also said shops have a resale hold from 30-60 days. So I am looking too early if visiting honest shops. That saved a lot of running around...

Second - my neighbors are all upgrading their security systems and were most grateful that I widely shared my story with them. I could have kept it quiet but felt others may have been hit soon in the future if this raiding crew returned to our little Lane (as police have said is common). I'm grateful they will upgrade and hopefully avoid this themselves.

Third and best - just returned from a birthday dinner I had for my 9 y.o. grandson (it's today) and also an early one for his dad (my son). Now I will share a little detail that just helps me know some things are meant to happen...those presents were in large gift bags in plain sight of these burglars. They never touched them. Inside the one for my son was his new MacBook Air. Inside the other a new "big kid" Erector set worth a lot.

It was a better day...

On the way to the dinner, bought a big 500 lb. safe to be delivered tomorrow.
Tomorrow, meeting with my security/alarm company for upgrades.
Then onto getting contractors for new windows and doors that were damaged - locksmith for re-keying - restoring lost data - lots more to do.

I can't describe the great feeling all your supportive posts give me - they buoy the spirit of TRF as the friendliest place on the internet.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:22 PM   #135
stylinleems
2024 Pledge Member

Paul, so sorry to hear this happened! Hoping that they catch these lowlifes and you get your property back soon!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:27 PM   #136
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:

On security systems:

3- Insurance

Respect
Old 4 December 2017, 12:43 PM   #137
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
PaulG, Your doing the right thing with pawn shops but also check ebay and craigslist. I got mine back from ebay about 5 months after it was stolen.

A little advice on the safe. Be sure to anchor it to both the floor and the wall.
Old 4 December 2017, 12:54 PM   #138
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
Sending positive thoughts and energies your way, Paul.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:04 PM   #139
You
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Hi Paul,

I'm glad you're safe and that you're able to look at the best of it.

You could also look at it like this, the family emergency happened for a reason so you wouldn't be home. If you had been home and the alarm was off and they broke in it could have ended in you being killed. I know the situation is terrible but maybe the family emergency happened for a reason and it saved your life. Just a positive outlook on the situation.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:10 PM   #140
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Just a quick question how much do we all have to donate to get Paul a Rolex for Christmas?
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:32 PM   #141
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
I'm so sorry for your ordeal. I hope you get them back. I'm glad your family is a comfort to you.
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:33 PM   #142
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
I pay around $5/month for my insurance on $19k of watches (2). Definitely worth it and not expensive.
Thats a steal. Usually insurance is approx 1% a year on a rider and can be more than that in many cases. I have never heard of insurance on jewelry coming out to less than 1/3 of 1 % per year.

OP- So sorry for your loss. I hope they catch these low lifes and you get some justice. Best of luck!
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:50 PM   #143
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
i never ever respond to such post as comments such as "sorry to hear" and "Sending positive thoughts" and the like seem somewhat hollow despite the best of intentions. That said your plight strikes a real chord not least in respect to what you have lost and what could have lost and your dreams of handing your collection down. You have certainly made me revisit a few thoughts on security etc.
If there is a positive life does indeed go on and I wish you every success. Your children and grand children have something no watch can ever give them - keep your chin up my freind!
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:59 PM   #144
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
sorry to hear of misfortune sir.
God does not sleep...these wicked ***** will get their due karma...

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:00 PM   #145
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Paul

I'm sick to my stomach about your unspeakable loss and the violation against you, your home and your future heirlooms to family.

My heartfelt prayers are with you.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:05 PM   #146
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the additional support. Today went better in 3 ways...

First - Interesting pawnshop visit. The closest one has changed hands to the son of the owner I remembered meeting once. I go in and ask to look at Rolex (without saying why) and they don't have any. I look at the rings/jewelry for a shot in the dark. No luck..

The guys are great and I said why I was looking. All 3 say, "Don't repeat that story anywhere else". Because if the next pawn store knew what you were looking for and why, they'd try to get it gone before being stuck for the stolen goods. They also said shops have a resale hold from 30-60 days. So I am looking too early if visiting honest shops. That saved a lot of running around...

Second - my neighbors are all upgrading their security systems and were most grateful that I widely shared my story with them. I could have kept it quiet but felt others may have been hit soon in the future if this raiding crew returned to our little Lane (as police have said is common). I'm grateful they will upgrade and hopefully avoid this themselves.

Third and best - just returned from a birthday dinner I had for my 9 y.o. grandson (it's today) and also an early one for his dad (my son). Now I will share a little detail that just helps me know some things are meant to happen...those presents were in large gift bags in plain sight of these burglars. They never touched them. Inside the one for my son was his new MacBook Air. Inside the other a new "big kid" Erector set worth a lot.

It was a better day...

On the way to the dinner, bought a big 500 lb. safe to be delivered tomorrow.
Tomorrow, meeting with my security/alarm company for upgrades.
Then onto getting contractors for new windows and doors that were damaged - locksmith for re-keying - restoring lost data - lots more to do.

I can't describe the great feeling all your supportive posts give me - they buoy the spirit of TRF as the friendliest place on the internet.

Make SURE the Safe is Bolted to the floor with Grade 8 Hardware,No exceptions.500lbs seems like a lot but it still needs to be secured to the Floor,Mine is Bolted right through the Hardwood Floor.I'm sorry to hear about your loss,Thieves suck.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:20 PM   #147
Dr.LJ
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Breitling
So sorry to hear about this. I hope that those burglars will be caught.
Dr.LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:35 PM   #148
jets
"TRF" Member

Hi Paul I just read your story and what had happened. I am sorry about your loss and invasion of privacy at your home. All I can say is you have the right attitude and I think it's part of the reason you've done well in your life. As much as this sucks you'll learn from it and see that these are just things. The memories and all the good things are still there and I hope you get past this with your head held high.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:37 PM   #149
regnant
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about that nasty incident
May you recover the items
Old 5 December 2017, 12:06 AM   #150
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This is actually turning into quite an inspirational thread, Paul, as you are coming across as impressively calm and regally positive. Good on you, Paul.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote