The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2018, 10:10 PM   #1
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
DSSD Being Discontinued: Prices & Demand

Numerous sources from Europe (ADs) typically reply (to requests for availability of the JC DSSD) that orders/deliveries for DSSD are now closed and that the DSSD is being discontinued (i am thus guessing that had this been true the DSSD discontinuation is taking effect after Basel this year as the DSSD is still on the main website of Rolex).

I was wondering and that is the point of this thread:

How will the prices and demand of DSSD and DSSD JC be affected had this info been true? What say you?

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:15 PM   #2
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
Numerous sources from Europe (ADs) typically reply (to requests for availability of the JC DSSD) that orders/deliveries for DSSD are now closed and that the DSSD is being discontinued (i am thus guessing that had this been true the DSSD discontinuation is taking effect after Basel this year as the DSSD is still on the main website of Rolex).

How will the prices of DSSD and DSSD JC be affected had this info been true?
What do you think?

SD4k prices went through the roof and all of a sudden a lot of people loved a watch they could buy at a discount at every AD everywhere. Seems to hold true for DSSD as well, I think the value will be in the fact that it was such a bold move, having said that there are a lot of them out there. JC less so of course.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:16 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Prices will only go up IMO.

This piece is very tough to get in certain parts of the world and prices here seems to be holding there own to slightly premium to retail. Just my

Btw, when did you sell yours?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:24 PM   #4
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrader View Post
What do you think?

SD4k prices went through the roof and all of a sudden a lot of people loved a watch they could buy at a discount at every AD everywhere. Seems to hold true for DSSD as well, I think the value will be in the fact that it was such a bold move, having said that there are a lot of them out there. JC less so of course.
As far as JC is concerned i think it will go through the roof in a short time and DSSD in black dial will do later in time as there are a few around so there is resistance.

Also my guess is the same will happen with the 116600 in the longer term but it needs time as the 126600 which is a superior model imo is still hard to get so focus is on that.

I guess the price jump effect will be more imminent with the JC though.

Old 6 March 2018, 10:26 PM   #5
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Prices will only go up IMO.

This piece is very tough to get in certain parts of the world and prices here seems to be holding there own to slightly premium to retail. Just my

Btw, when did you sell yours?
Couple of years ago but i will be trying to get it back in the future if prices do not become prohibitive (not by selling the 126600 though)

Old 6 March 2018, 10:57 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If it happened this year, I would think prices on the D-Blue would go through the roof. Market and demand will determine how high. I'm just glad I have one now rather than later.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:15 PM   #7
tng11
"TRF" Member

Of course, as soon as I unloaded my D-Blue this is what would happen.

Bought it originally as in investment but I determined the money would be better in something I could wear (i.e the SD43).
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:24 PM   #8
madgpol
"TRF" Member

For the black it might come down to the type of dial you have. MK1 dial was only around for a year I believe
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:33 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Probably go to UK price of 12K, but not selling fast here, it's still a niche watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:35 AM   #10
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Probably go to UK price of 12K, but not selling fast here, it's still a niche watch.
But WF was only buying for 9K (i.e. below RRP) for a brand new and stickered one a few weeks back...
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:48 AM   #11
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Not surprising. I've never actually seen one being worn and there always seems to be one sitting at any AD I've visited.

"Got any subs, SD43?"
"No but we have the DSSD - you can get 10% off!"

This is a much more obvious cancellation than the BLRO GMT. Only a few hardened desk divers can pull off the DSSD, the market is surely minuscule.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:01 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Not surprising. I've never actually seen one being worn and there always seems to be one sitting at any AD I've visited.

"Got any subs, SD43?"
"No but we have the DSSD - you can get 10% off!"

This is a much more obvious cancellation than the BLRO GMT. Only a few hardened desk divers can pull off the DSSD, the market is surely minuscule.
The already small market for the watch, due to price, was slaughtered by the release of the sd43 which has the very desirable cyclops (to the average rolex buyer who seeks the classic rolex look).

Old 7 March 2018, 01:04 AM   #13
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
The D Blue would probably settle around $15k USD for excellent condition. The black DSSD would maybe move up $500-$1k from current pricing
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:07 AM   #14
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
D-Blue would command $20k + IMO, and thats being conservative. But the best deal at the moment would be the black dial.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:59 AM   #15
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Is the Deep blue disco still speculation or almost a proven fact ? ) I love mine and will never sell. I love it just as much as my 16710 Coke but consider it much more valuable. Seeing both side by side and you get an idea of the superiority in construction.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 02:03 AM   #16
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

JC is a highly sought after while still in production, goes for a premium on the grey market. Which make me guess it going through the roof when no longer produced!

It goes for $14K+ on grey market now which makes me think it will hit $15k-$16k right off the bat then creep up to around $20k a year or two later
Look at the Pepsi (which is a much more popular watch) prices now are 200% what it sold for new!!

That should give you an idea
Old 7 March 2018, 02:09 AM   #17
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
JC is a highly sought after while still in production, goes for a premium on the grey market. Which make me guess it going through the roof when no longer produced!

It goes for $14K+ on grey market now which makes me think it will hit $15k-$16k right off the bat then creep up to around $20k a year or two later
Look at the Pepsi (which is a much more popular watch) prices now are 200% what it sold for new!!

That should give you an idea
OK, but the pepsi has a much wider market niche, is cheaper and still affordable. My question though is the JC a given for immediate disco ? there were not that many made and this fact is what usually dictates a market value for these watches.
Old 7 March 2018, 02:17 AM   #18
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Is the Deep blue disco still speculation or almost a proven fact ? ) I love mine and will never sell. I love it just as much as my 16710 Coke but consider it much more valuable. Seeing both side by side and you get an idea of the superiority in construction.
I cannot confirm the validity of the claims but one of the ADs even went as far to claim (to me) that Rolex has notified them of the watch being discontinued. I have not seen any proof of this neither did i ask how they were notified but i am sure Jocke can make one such letter

Bad thing is it seems many of us are going to regret selling the watch. I am one of these fools that "need" something when they cannot have it.

Old 7 March 2018, 02:19 AM   #19
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK, but the pepsi has a much wider market niche, is cheaper and still affordable. My question though is the JC a given for immediate disco ? there were not that many made and this fact is what usually dictates a market value for these watches.
Totally agree. That’s why I said it’s more popular than the JC. I don’t expect the JC to reach 200% but history gives a glimpse of the future here, with the trend and speculations

I think the rarity of the JC being produced in less numbers for shorter time (if indeed discontinued this Basel) offsets the popularity of the Pepsi that was produced for much longer, at much higher numbers
Old 7 March 2018, 02:24 AM   #20
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Totally agree. That’s why I said it’s more popular than the JC. I don’t expect the JC to reach 200% but history gives a glimpse of the future here, with the trend and speculations

I think the rarity of the JC being produced in less numbers for shorter time (if indeed discontinued this Basel) offsets the popularity of the Pepsi that was produced for much longer, at much higher numbers
I totally agree and i predict (after pressing my belly) that 116600 and JC 116660 are going to multiply by many times in value in 20-30 years costing an arm and a leg to get a decent one.

Old 7 March 2018, 02:25 AM   #21
ALF61
"TRF" Member

OK guys this prompted me to call my AD. He sold a JC to me in October and we had been discussing how another one of his clients wanted one so he put one on order. Rolex sends mostly anything he asks for as he sells to non flippers he just told me that the watch is not coming in his next shipment. He has received no notifications but there it is. Evidently at the very least it is becoming hard to find in new orders. My advice if you want one and see one at the AD take it !
Old 7 March 2018, 02:26 AM   #22
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK guys this prompted me to call my AD. He sold a JC to me in October and we had been discussing how another one of his clients wanted one so he put one on order. Rolex sends mostly anything he asks for as he sells to non flippers he just told me that the watch is not coming in his next shipment. He has received no notifications but there it is. Evidently at the very least it is becoming hard to find in new orders. My advice if you want one and see one at the AD take it !
Thanks for the contribution man!

Old 7 March 2018, 02:28 AM   #23
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

How will the prices and demand of DSSD and DSSD JC be affected had this info been true? What say you?
D Blue currently sitting around £11,500 ($16k) on the grey market and I recon it will plateau at around £15k ($21k)

Black is still selling for less than retail and I can't see it increasing much if discontinued, even though its a fantastic piece.

My own thoughts are that the difference between black and D blue dials will be huge, with the D Blue becoming very sought after but still quite niche.

I don't quite buy that the SD4K price has sky rocketed. Its still sitting below that of the SD43 on the secondary market depsite being discontinued last year. Iconic have just knocked £500 off their (arguably overpriced) one as it wasnt selling.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 02:28 AM   #24
grimps
"TRF" Member

I picked up the black dial one in Amsterdam a few months ago for 20% Off the UK retail price , theyvhad two in the window so they’re not too hard to get hold of
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 02:30 AM   #25
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
D Blue currently sitting around £11,500 ($16k) on the grey market and I recon it will plateau at around £15k ($21k)

Black is still selling for less than retail and I can't see it increasing much if discontinued, even though its a fantastic piece.

My own thoughts are that the difference between black and D blue dials will be huge, with the D Blue becoming very sought after but still quite niche.

I don't quite buy that the SD4K price has sky rocketed. Its still sitting below that of the SD43 on the secondary market depsite being discontinued last year. Iconic have just knocked £500 off their (arguably overpriced) one as it wasnt selling.
Spot on for the black DSSD and 116600 Scott but i believe 116600 is a watch that will increase in value in the long term. 126600 is currently overshadowing the 116600 as a new and "unattainable" piece. When the dust settles (years down the road) the 116600 will go nuts. Again i pressed my belly for this prediction so...

Old 7 March 2018, 03:12 AM   #26
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
My AD had one in October, another one at the end of January and has told me if I want one, I would be called for the next one if I gave a 50% deposit. I spoke to him on Sunday and he did not mention that it was discontinued.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 03:16 AM   #27
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
My AD had one in October, another one at the end of January and has told me if I want one, I would be called for the next one if I gave a 50% deposit. I spoke to him on Sunday and he did not mention that it was discontinued.
I did notice the thread you started. I was told the same thing (leave a deposit) by one employee at one of the ADs i enquired. The majority of ADs though responded to me that it is not in production anymore.

Will be very interesting to see what the truth is although i get the feeling that the info is not just a rumor.

Old 7 March 2018, 03:50 AM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
But WF was only buying for 9K (i.e. below RRP) for a brand new and stickered one a few weeks back...
Yup, I think that indicates they move slow so they won't pay a nice bid on them as they don't want the risky sitting stock, they already have a lot of Hulks and BLNRs that are turning over slowly so their offers have fallen, but ofc they will not lower their huge sale prices, not unless they are really forced to in time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #29
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
DSSD is being discontinued. How will the prices and demand of DSSD and DSSD JC be affected had this info been true? What say you?
I'll tell you what the Hong Kong dealers are saying
✓ Get Ref 116610LN + 116610LV.
Apparently these are the watches that matter at the moment. If Hulk is discontinued , the HK Grey market sellers are going to immediately markup the price of a BNIB to HK$ 100000 ( or US 12766 based on today's FOREX). What about its elder sibling, Mr Kermit 16620lv ? The same dealers are going to peg Kermit at US$19 K. Period! In the second scenario if Hulk is still in production after the announcement of the new Sub 126610LN , the price of the Hulk is going to drop but will remain above HK$84000 ( US$ 10723)
✓ Now the second part of the story is interesting. If Ref 116610 LN is discontinued and replaced with Ref 126610 LN , then the current SubC prices are going to shoot up like the Burj Khalifa! Funny! First time I've even heard Chinese dealers actually commenting on the tallest building in the world !. Their advice? Get the Ceramic Sub now ( Date or No Date)
✓ What about the Ref 116660 D-Blue? I'll just offer my thoughts based on what's going on in Malaysia. A couple of my seller friends are offering BNIBs at between US$ 12.5K and 13.5K . What if you want to sell your BNIB/ LNIB D-Blue ? I was surprise to learn that seasoned buyers are only going to offer you a consistent US$ 11 175 all cash. Don't ask me how they came to this figure. There's also a glut of preowned in KL going for something like US11-12K (D-Blue) and US $9.0-9.5K ( black or regular version). I mean most of the second hand 116660 D Blue i've seen are LNIB, rarely worn because owners assumed prices will shoot up through the roof or in most instances, the Ref 116660 was too big on the wrist, many owners I know just traded and switched to the SD43. You won't believe it if I told you there's a second hand watch gallery in down town Kuala Lumpur right now that has 10 LNIB D-Blues in the glass display cabinet! Even if D-Blue is discontinued, I honestly dont anticipate a dramatic increase in value , more likely a snail paced appreciation. People will be focusing their attention on SD43 (like Hong Kong) and the newer models. So D-Blue needs another important triggering factor to jack up the price even higher -> That stimulus is Iron Jim @ James Cameron and you know what I mean. Incidentally there was a Rolex DJ41 ad today on page 5 of "The Star" , Malaysia's leading newspaper celebrating four Oscar winning directors all wearing Rolex watches including Iron Jim who was spotting the D-Blue
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:29 AM   #30
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Not to pop any balloons but it is isn’t going to happen.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote