The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 February 2023, 01:49 AM   #31
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I will buy nothing from Lange after they screwed me on an allocation.

Told me I'd get one after buying a Zeitwerk.

Bought a zeitwerk.

"Sorry bro no allocation 4 u"

Oh ok thanks.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 01:48 PM   #32
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I personally don't like either one, but the Lange is far superior quality, although I think the AP has a better bracelet. I tried the SS Odysseus on and the bracelet just looked odd to me. I think one on rubber without the lug link would look good, but I think Lange changed the design so that you can't do that unless you got one of the early models. I also wish they would have gone with a sweep seconds instead of a sub seconds, as it is a sporty watch.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 05:52 PM   #33
Lukla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
Honestly neither.

I am a Lange fanboy but the Odysseus is too much of a departure for me. The movement is one of my least favorite Lange movements. That being said it's one of the best movements founds in a sports watch most likely. I suspect Lange outsources their bracelet manufacture just like the case. If you buy a Lange you buy it for the movement so for Odysseus money you can get a ALS chrono movement watch which is end game for me.

The 15202 is the ONLY modern Royal Oak in my mind and I have pontificated heavily on owning one. But on the wrist it doesn't look as good on me as it seems it would in my imagination. It is not something I would wear often like a 116500 - the money is in the bracelet and case finishing but it's a scratch magnet, it has lower water resistance, and the 5712 looks way better on my own wrist in terms of an ultra thin case. I love the idea of a Royal Oak but reality didn't meet fantasy for me.

I did recently buy a VC Overseas and I can see why these integrated steel haute horology sport watches are so popular. They straddle a balance between sports watch and dress watch, making them very versatile which appeals to many people, the dream of one watch for everything. However, if you own 10 watches let's say spanning Rolex to Haute Horology, sporty to dressy, there is less appeal to owning a middle ground watch like a Odysseus, Overseas, Nautilus, or Royal Oak. I hope this makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense more so if you own 20-30 watches. But can't help looking at "new" watches including RO and Oddy. Haven't seen Oddy in person but RO bracelet is amazing and the price in secondary market is coming down to more reasonable level.
Lukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 06:56 PM   #34
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Neither. I dislike the Odysseus’ bracelet / lug integration and I find the RO very generic, AP’s decision to fit their 15550 with outsourced Vaucher movements not helping either. The Overseas is great, but moved it on - just a little big for most wrists, especially on bracelet, with those lugs flaring out. I was on the list for an Antarctique but cancelled my pre-order as I wasn’t convinced the value is there. So it looks like no more ss integrated sportswatch for me then :-).
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 10:30 PM   #35
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I personally don't like either one, but the Lange is far superior quality....
Meh.... that's a personal opinion. Both are very well made. Neither is superior to the other, let alone far superior.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 09:09 AM   #36
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

I changed my Odysseus WG to an OEM leather strap and it make all the difference. The rubber strap feels 'sticky' and doesn't anchor the watch. After the change I went from considering selling to being one of favorites in my collection.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 04:16 PM   #37
phiberoptiks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Neither. I dislike the Odysseus’ bracelet / lug integration and I find the RO very generic, AP’s decision to fit their 15550 with outsourced Vaucher movements not helping either. The Overseas is great, but moved it on - just a little big for most wrists, especially on bracelet, with those lugs flaring out. I was on the list for an Antarctique but cancelled my pre-order as I wasn’t convinced the value is there. So it looks like no more ss integrated sportswatch for me then :-).
Check out the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda or the Tonda Skeleton, in person the thinness really blows it away.
phiberoptiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 03:43 AM   #38
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptiks View Post
Check out the Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda or the Tonda Skeleton, in person the thinness really blows it away.
Can second this. The Tonda PF (micro rotor) is still the best wearing watch I've ever had on my wrist. I've not owned all these but a selection that I think the PF wears better than - 4500/7900v, 116500, 124060, 15202, 15500, 5711, 5712 to name a few. Really fantastic piece.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 07:22 AM   #39
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
Can second this. The Tonda PF (micro rotor) is still the best wearing watch I've ever had on my wrist. I've not owned all these but a selection that I think the PF wears better than - 4500/7900v, 116500, 124060, 15202, 15500, 5711, 5712 to name a few. Really fantastic piece.
Me too on most of this. 5711/5712 May be a bit too far though
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 08:10 AM   #40
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Lange treat their customers appallingly. I wouldn’t by another although their output is fabulous and I (still) love the Odysseus.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2023, 08:55 AM   #41
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Lange OD is just not my taste. I much prefer their other models like the 1815.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 12:32 AM   #42
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Dial, movement, Lange >>> AP
Case, bracelet AP >>>> Lange
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 03:36 AM   #43
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Dial, movement, Lange >>> AP
Case, bracelet AP >>>> Lange
I don't know about case, but bracelet, yeah I agree.

But apart for the Ody, I think AP just has more experience as their bracelets span many models.

If ALS gets its act together and come out with more sports bracelet models or a "reasonably" priced sports model, then we'll see. I would never count ALS out in this regard.

Some older Lange 1s were made with bracelets that were hand designed, but phased them out as they were too expensive and labor intensive to make.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote