The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2022, 04:52 AM   #1
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

The SuperOcean 42 is too big for me

I have a 6.25 wrist. Too big. Also not sure I like the slanted bracelet. Added to it the poor movement, and it's a no for me. But glad I got to try it on.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 08:47 AM   #2
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Yea. Not even close. Good choice
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 09:00 PM   #3
RolexUwe
"TRF" Member

The movement is not poor at all; it's just not in-house. An in-house movement doesn't make a watch superior, as there are more expensive watches that use ETA movements. In this case, it's the venerable Selitta movement. In my collection I have in-house B01s, B20s ("Tudor-Breitling exchange program"), B17s (ETA 2824-2) and they're all fantastic. The B17s (whether Selitta or ETA) are durable, reliable and inexpensive to maintain. For a watch like this, I would have zero issue with a movement like this... in fact, it would be preferred over an in-house due to its durability and lower cost of service. It all boils down to what makes you smile, so don't be afraid to buy a Breitling with a non in-house movement. If you do, you'll miss out on a lot of fun!
RolexUwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 09:13 PM   #4
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexUwe View Post
The movement is not poor at all; it's just not in-house. An in-house movement doesn't make a watch superior, as there are more expensive watches that use ETA movements. In this case, it's the venerable Selitta movement. In my collection I have in-house B01s, B20s ("Tudor-Breitling exchange program"), B17s (ETA 2824-2) and they're all fantastic. The B17s (whether Selitta or ETA) are durable, reliable and inexpensive to maintain. For a watch like this, I would have zero issue with a movement like this... in fact, it would be preferred over an in-house due to its durability and lower cost of service. It all boils down to what makes you smile, so don't be afraid to buy a Breitling with a non in-house movement. If you do, you'll miss out on a lot of fun!
I agree with this 100%. I have an Avenger as well as a SuperOcean, both with ETA 2824-2. Both are as accurate as my Rolex watches,.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 10:02 PM   #5
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
I agree with this 100%. I have an Avenger as well as a SuperOcean, both with ETA 2824-2. Both are as accurate as my Rolex watches,.

I follow

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 05:35 AM   #6
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Agree regarding the movement. My Avenger Seawolf runs superbly well.
Regarding the slanted bracelet, it’s one of the comfiest and best designed bracelet out there in my opinion. Each to their own though
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 06:16 AM   #7
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

I agree with everyone else for the most part and I'll also add that it doesn't look too big.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 05:48 AM   #8
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I have about 6.3” wrist and thought it was fine. Is agree it’s decent movement but should be cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2022, 05:01 AM   #9
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:

I completely agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 05:24 AM   #10
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

What turns me off isn't the fact that it's not in-house but the short power reserve. Also with that much real estate I wanted to have a date complication, obviously without ruining the authentics.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 05:30 AM   #11
ArsenX
Banned

Well it’s down to your choice. If it’s not okay with you then there’s no reason to settle.

ArsenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2022, 04:01 PM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I wore Breitling B17 movements for decades. Extremely accurate and tough. When I purchased my 1st SO with a Sellita I was sorely disappointed. Not near as accurate, very short power reserve. Not a Breitling tuned ETA by any stretch of the imagination.

I never purchased another, never will. I purchased several Longines with there L888.4 and .5 movements. Superb movements with truly outstanding accuracy. Big difference between ETA and a Sellita.

In fact, I won't consider any watch no matter how much I may like it that is equipped with a Sellita. Just me, but had nothing but problems.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2022, 07:10 AM   #13
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Sharp looking watch and I’m considering it myself as my next watch. As others have mentioned, the movement is not an issue. Love the design of this one
Old 9 October 2022, 04:18 AM   #14
Guppydriver
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I don't have an intrinsic issue with the movement per se, but the cost of the watch being comparable to one that invested the time, effort, and money to develop an in house movement is what turns me off a little. A two to three thousand dollar watch with a base SW or ETA movement and I'm all in, but in a 5K watch, not so much. It's a reliable movement but the 38 power reserve is the glaring deficient stat. It is a pretty watch though, I think the turquoise is striking in particular.

I had a Longines heritage diver with an ETA movement and it was incredibly accurate and it was a gorgeous compressor style diver. I thought it was well worth the retail minus 20% I paid for it a few years ago.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 04:40 AM   #15
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
I have very similar wrist size. I dont think its too big. Im wearing much larger watches and its fine. You have to wear it for few days and you will be fine. And this one its very nice. Good choice
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 04:55 PM   #16
breitlingaddict
Banned

I did try the SuperOcean 42 once and had same feeling.
breitlingaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 02:41 AM   #17
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I totally agree there is nothing inherently wrong with ETA or Sellita movements - they're durable workhorses, with plentiful spares, and simple/cheap servicing by any competent watchmaker. No arguments there.

What I DO have a problem with are the prices that Breitling are currently putting on their ETA/Sellita pieces. This SO is one example, and the new Chronomat GMT is another. The GMT comes in at £4,700 in the UK and runs a Sellita/ETA movement. For £3,170 (over £1,500 less) you can buy a Tudor Black Bay Pro with a full manufacture, "true" GMT movement with 70 hours PR.

I fully appreciate that in-house/manufacture doesn't automatically mean "better", but (to use the tired old car analogy) I personally wouldn't spend Ferrari money on something that just looks like a Ferrari, but runs a nice reliable 2 litre Ford engine. To me it's about value for money, and at the moment Breitling are failing that test with their non-in-house stuff when you look at the competition.
Old 6 April 2023, 02:28 PM   #18
sgt2460
"TRF" Member

Beautiful colors but I can understand the concern with size. I typically stay away from anything that’s lug to lug hangs over my wrist.

sgt2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 07:55 AM   #19
WatchmeTimepiece
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Ranger
you nailed the whole purpose of trying something on. Finding the things you don't like, so you can narrow down the things you do.
WatchmeTimepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2023, 10:05 AM   #20
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It does look big on you in your photo. But wide-angle photos do that with watch wrist shots. No big deal on the movement not being in-house. ETA and Sellita are super movements.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2023, 10:31 PM   #21
Errol_V
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I’m not really digging the new SuperOcean design. It’s trying to do too much and is sized a bit large to my liking. Old ones are nice though. ��
Errol_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 02:47 AM   #22
michaelmclees
"TRF" Member

It's like the new SuperOceans have 2 bezels. It's a super bizarre look.
michaelmclees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 08:26 AM   #23
jdb8298177
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai- 0100
I personally like a biger watch due to my wrist being a 8

jdb8298177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 03:48 PM   #24
michaelstack2248
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling