The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 January 2023, 02:20 AM   #1
Lashenden
"TRF" Member

1959 Rolex Precision Restoration Help, Please

Hi, new member here. I've recently inherited my father's 1959 gold-cased Rolex Precision. This was his 21st birthday watch and he wore it daily for many years until it broke. When I received the watch it was totally seized up and has now gone off to Stephen Hale for an expensive restoration. While it's in the queue, I have a few questions for the community:

The watch originally had a leather strap but this was was long ago replaced with an aftermarket elasticated gold-plated metal bracelet (ugh!). I now want to return the watch to it's manufactured condition, so how can I find out the original strap designs and finishes for 1959 model? Also, I'm evidently going to have to find a gold Rolex buckle; what was the usual spec for 1959 gold buckles - 9ct gold or gold plate, etc? How were these marked? Are there variations, or 'correct' design features that I need to be aware of?

Hale's don't want to get involved in these aspects of the refurbishment so I'd be grateful to get some pointers on where to source Rolex straps and buckles in the UK.

Lastly Stephen Hale asked me whether or not I wanted the case re-polished. What are people's thoughts on re-polishing vs original condition for watch cases? I intend to keep and sometimes to wear the watch when it's complete.

All advice gratefully received.
Lashenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 03:30 AM   #2
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Try reposting in Vintage discussion - those guys know everything.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:27 AM   #3
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I'm not a fan of polishing the case on my Tudor Submariner. I like the scars. However, if your watch and story were mine......I would want it to look like new when i got it back on my wrist. Just my thoughts as you asked for them.

Best to you and your watch......................
Old 30 January 2023, 08:27 AM   #4
eatt_river
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashenden View Post
Hi, new member here. I've recently inherited my father's 1959 gold-cased Rolex Precision. This was his 21st birthday watch and he wore it daily for many years until it broke.

Lastly Stephen Hale asked me whether or not I wanted the case re-polished. What are people's thoughts on re-polishing vs original condition for watch cases? I intend to keep and sometimes to wear the watch when it's complete.

All advice gratefully received.
Congrats on your inheritance (I wish my Dad would be as connoisseur in fine watches than yours…)
I would not accept case repolishing for the sake of sentimental value (those scratches are what your Dad seen daily…). For the rest I can’t comment since I am still new to Rolex world.
eatt_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 08:54 AM   #5
Nick9
"TRF" Member

There have been plenty of changes in the strap world since 1959, but rather than trying to figure out what might have been on it, if it were me I’d just look for a standard old-time design, and then spend some time on the dozens of choices you’ll have in material, colour, stitching, etc. to find one that you like with the watch. Visit a store that sells lots of straps and take your time.

Remember that straps don’t last forever.

From time to time, vintage Rolex buckles come up for sale here. You’ll need some patience.

You can also get straps and buckles from an authorized Rolex dealer, but make sure you are sitting down when they tell you the cost.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 01:44 PM   #6
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Hard to advise without pictures but my 2c:
- Don't spend too much time trying to find the exact period correct leather strap. Just find something you like the aesthetic on. Straps always meant to be replaced when worn.
- Polishing depends on the current state of the watch. If already polished, a tune up is not a bad idea. If your watch is unpolished or in lightly polished condition and not too beat up, better move would be to keep as is.
- Make sure your watchmaker outlines the services they'll provide so you can decide what you want / don't. My own rule of thumb is modify as little as possible on the outside. Some changes may be required to get the watch working again, which is usually ok but save the original parts (e.g. crown and crown tube replaced, crystal replaced).
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:14 PM   #7
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Is it a reference 1014, 34mm smooth bezel no date drilled lugs steel caseback? Nice watch and it should stand up to a polish, if you can find someone who knows how to do the polish correctly. Finding a buckle should be no problem but...don't get the solid gold buckle. Get the plated. It's about the ONLY time I accept plated anything is Rolex buckles but it's just not worth it for the solid 18K.

Nice watch, good luck!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 08:45 PM   #8
Lashenden
"TRF" Member

The watch is already with the repairer so I can't send pictures unfortunately. It has a 9ct gold case, arabic numerals, no date and a gold caseback. I forget to measure the diameter but it's would imagine it's the standard 34mm. I checked the estimate and in addition to a full service, it's going to receive a new gold winding crown, new winding stem and have the barrel bushed. They also mention 'hairspring manipulate' - I have no idea what that means.

I'll keep an open mind on plated buckles; my question was focused on design of the buckle as much as materials; is there much variation over the decades? Does a 1950's buckle look significantly different to a 1980s one, for instance? I don't know much about watches, but I do have some experience restoring classic cars and firearms - each community has its own standards and bugbears - the 'just choose a strap you like' attitude wouldn't go down well in parts of the classic car community for sure!
Lashenden is offline   Reply With Quote