The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 February 2023, 09:35 PM   #61
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I started in watches in 2002 when I left Purdue. At the time the submariner was overpriced at $4,000 with its stamped clasp and hollow links compared to the fully machined 300m omega diver I ended up buying for $1,600

Rolex sports models would typically sell at Jomashop for 5% off MSRP and no tax collected back then.

I used to see all of the 5-digit Rolex in the case at the mall at millennia in Orlando and just walked on by. I should have bought them out instead of funding a Roth IRA that would sh*t the bed 5 years later.
Old 2 February 2023, 09:40 PM   #62
Grim Reaper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTmatt View Post
Bingo. When almost every model was available every day and you lost money walking out the door most people didn’t want them.
I suspect that you have the answer right there.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 02:21 AM   #63
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Pure nostalgia!

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 09:57 AM   #64
MJZRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
If I had a Time Machine, I'd go back and load up on Apple and Tesla stock, make some strategic bets and not worry too much about today's prices.
MJZRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 10:19 AM   #65
TimeAfterTime
"TRF" Member

I'm actually surprised that the prices were that high back in 2015, especially for the OPs. One was 5,150 pounds and other two were 5,500 pounds. I did the conversion to Canadian Dollars and, at the current exchange rate, works out to $8379 CAD and $8948 CAD. The current list price in Canada for the Oyster Perpetual is $7,200 CAD. That is cheaper even after adding the 13% HST (sales tax).

How do the current the UK list prices compare?
TimeAfterTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 12:52 PM   #66
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZRolex View Post
If I had a Time Machine, I'd go back and load up on Apple and Tesla stock, make some strategic bets and not worry too much about today's prices.
Old Biff, is that you?
(back to the future, in case you don't get the reference) .
Old 3 February 2023, 01:04 PM   #67
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beep Beep View Post
there are many other goods that I would dream of paying at the prices of a few decades ago

I don’t even think it was the prices, more the fact that they were available to purchase. It’s only the price hikes over the past year that have made things seem more outrageous.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 01:12 PM   #68
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Time Machine needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAfterTime View Post
I'm actually surprised that the prices were that high back in 2015, especially for the OPs. One was 5,150 pounds and other two were 5,500 pounds. I did the conversion to Canadian Dollars and, at the current exchange rate, works out to $8379 CAD and $8948 CAD. The current list price in Canada for the Oyster Perpetual is $7,200 CAD. That is cheaper even after adding the 13% HST (sales tax).

I don’t see any OP’s I don’t think. I see three Milgauss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 01:16 PM   #69
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They’re not OPs, they’re 3 Milgauss. The old discontinued white dial and the other two now.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 04:48 PM   #70
TimeAfterTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
They’re not OPs, they’re 3 Milgauss. The old discontinued white dial and the other two now.
Okay, my bad. The Milgauss is currently $11,050 CAD.
TimeAfterTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 07:22 PM   #71
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:

As others have said, not OP’s. To answer the other question, if I look at the black sub date or BLNR, U.K. MSRP including tax is up just over 50% since 2015.

That’s in a period where inflation’s been about 25-30%. The rest is most likely devaluation of the GBP which is why our MSRP has spiked so much in the last 14 months or so (20% ish.)
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 12:41 AM   #72
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Purchased my first Rolex in 2017--classic Submariner. AD offered me a GMT at a discount but I didn't know much about Rolex and thought it was strange with multi-colored bezel. Now GMTs are the foundation of my collection along with divers. And I believe we will never see those days again.
As a commercial airline pilot I see security agents wearing Submariners as was a maintenance guy in Minneapolis the other day. Love that folks are wearing their watches in all conditions! -14 this morning!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 12:44 AM   #73
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
When I bought my first in 13/14 I remember going to the store and trying out like 7 or 8 different watches. Case was full of everything it seemed like. Every sports model was there for the taking. Hard to believe what it has turned in to these days. I thought the Apple Watch might kill the luxury Swiss watch market. Instead it went totally in the opposite direction and you have to bribe the ADs just for the chance to buy one. Crazy stuff.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 06:38 AM   #74
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles4133 View Post
It's only the price hikes over the past year that have made things seem more outrageous.
Agreed, when the currency gets devalued by 10% it means you need to pay 10% more to keep 'stability'.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote