The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 February 2023, 03:57 AM   #1
Tim I
"TRF" Member

Source for replacement bracelet link?

Hello, I just registered today, and this is my first post. I’m not a watch collector per se, but I have an old (early 50’s, I think) stainless Rolex Oyster Perpetual that my dad gave me 30 years ago. It’s always been my favorite watch, and was my daily wear watch until a couple years ago when one of the bracelet links broke. My watch guy here in Denver didn’t have a source for a replacement, so the watch went in the drawer and I’ve been wearing my old Waltham. I would really like to get my Rolex back in service! I’m wondering if someone could recommend a source for the link I need.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex face small.jpg (71.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex broken link small.jpg (54.7 KB, 179 views)
Tim I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 07:08 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
These older folded link bracelets can be rebuilt, although I don't think that Rolex still provides parts for them.

We mention Rolliworks in Florida a lot when it comes to fixes and repairs as they specialize in Rolex bracelets. Give them a call.
Old 4 February 2023, 10:30 PM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Trying to figure what you need..

You are showing an early Rivet bracelet and it appears that you need the other blade (not shown on the picture), is this correct? Not a link?

In your picture, you can still see one of the two connector loops still attached to the existing blade.

Do you have other pictures?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 11:27 PM   #4
Tim I
"TRF" Member

Oops! Yes, I did send a picture of the wrong blade. Please see below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex broken blade.jpg (155.6 KB, 152 views)
Old 4 February 2023, 11:44 PM   #5
TimeToGo

You could send an email to Rolliworks, as mentioned originally, and see if they can weld that back since you have the missing loop.

I am wondering if it may be even cheaper to get a different bracelet altogether.

Do you know the size of the ends, 19mm 20mm ?
Old 5 February 2023, 12:12 AM   #6
Tim I
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure where to measure. Measuring here with my dial caliper (and converting inches to mm) I get 17.6 mm:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Width at bracelet attachment.jpg (63.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 5 February 2023, 01:00 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

My watchmaker has a bunch of spare parts for rivet bracelets, and he is also on the Front Range. At one time I was considering buying a bracelet that was missing some parts so I asked him if he would be able to repair it, and this is what he sent me. Lots of blades, spare links (expandable and non-expandable), clasps, etc. Some used, some NOS. I don't know the sizes of what he has, but if he has used things up over the years, I'm guessing they were mostly for the 20mm bracelets and he probably has lots left for the smaller ones.

Old 5 February 2023, 01:50 AM   #8
TimeToGo

It would be the opening between the lugs.

Do you know the watch model number. This and the serial number would be found between the lugs. Don't know if you have ever removed the bracelet.
Old 5 February 2023, 05:08 AM   #9
Tim I
"TRF" Member

TimeToGo, I had the serial number at one time, but can't seem to find it. I can see the model number 6084.

Dan S., I'd love to try to get this fixed locally, if possible. Would you mind sharing the name of your watchmaker?

Thanks to all!

Tim
Old 5 February 2023, 05:36 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim I View Post
TimeToGo, I had the serial number at one time, but can't seem to find it. I can see the model number 6084.

Dan S., I'd love to try to get this fixed locally, if possible. Would you mind sharing the name of your watchmaker?

Thanks to all!

Tim
I would be happy to share his contact info privately.
Old 5 February 2023, 08:01 AM   #11
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I would be happy to share his contact info privately.

Old 5 February 2023, 11:35 PM   #12
Tim I
"TRF" Member

Thank you, Dan S.! Could you send it to me through the forums's private messsage function?
Old 6 February 2023, 12:17 AM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim I View Post
Thank you, Dan S.! Could you send it to me through the forums's private messsage function?
Sure, no problem, just shoot me a message.
Old 6 February 2023, 03:57 AM   #14
Tim I
"TRF" Member

Message sent.
Old 20 December 2023, 04:51 AM   #15
Tim I
"TRF" Member

Back again, and still trying to get my Rolex back in service. The local watchmaker Dan S so kindly referred me to had sold off all his parts. I sent to Rolliworks for a repair estimate but didn't hear back, so I've been watching eBay, hoping that an appropriate useable blade will come up. One of my problems is that I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. The lugs on my watch (early '50s Oyster bubbleback) seem to be 19 mm, and the blade 12 mm wide and ~38 mm long. The unbroken blade is dated 4/55 and the broken blade has no markings at all. (The broken blade is the one with 2 narrow lugs on each side.) I've seen some blades for sale that seem to be the right size, but the "linear extrusions" (not sure of the proper terminology) on the blades are narrower than on mine. I assume these are a later design? Of course I'd like to get a "correct" replacement blade, but at this point I'd be happy with whatever works. (I'm not really a watch guy. I just love my old Rolex and want to be able to enjoy it again.) I would appreciate any advice on where else I might look and/or the proper terminology to communicate exactly what I need.
Old 20 December 2023, 01:48 PM   #16
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I'd consider contacting Rolliworks again and I'd also try an old school watchmaker like Bob Ridley. He might have something old for you. Don't give up!
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 02:12 PM   #17
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Do you see a reference number anywhere on the clasp and bracelet, 7205 is what I'd expect. Note that you may need to buy an entire clasp.
Old 20 December 2023, 02:13 PM   #18
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

This might work. Maybe you can get some measurements from the seller. The part that is damaged appears to be the part you don't need. But check for yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32529646750...Bk9SR5K-7NaQYw

Edit: Sorry, this one is newer, I just looked at your first photo and noticed that you have a small logo bracelet. But this is the idea. You can search for entire clasp assemblies and just replace the whole thing. Or maybe as you search through all the listings you will find the exact part you need. But the small logo clasps are not common, so it might be easier to replace both blades or the whole clasp assembly. You could also replace the whole bracelet for about $700-$800. The typical 7205 bracelet are not crazy expensive.
Old 22 December 2023, 03:05 AM   #19
Tim I
"TRF" Member

Thanks, to all. I don't see any number on the bracelet. I'll try Bob Ridley and see if he can help. I do have the lug that broke off the blade. Is laser welding a reliable fix, or should I continue to try to find a good replacement blade? Most clasps of that vintage that I've seen on eBay have had the same broken lug that I'm dealing with, so it must have been a fairly common problem. It seems like it wouldn't be a difficult part to reproduce, so I'm surprised that Rolex (or the aftermarket) wouldn't offer parts support for their vintage models.
Old 22 December 2023, 04:50 AM   #20
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Based on your measurement, the lug to lug width seems to be 19mm. Perhaps the bracelet was replaced at some point with a slightly smaller 17mm. You might consider just sending in the whole bracelet to Rolliworks for a complete overhaul. Quite sure they can fix it and make it look like new. Yes, I know this has already been suggested but I don't see a follow up to that suggestion. It would probably be about $600-700 or as Dan suggested get a whole 7205 bracelet on EBAY for about the same price. Although, it may need a rebuild too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266567964069
This one with 19mm ends that as you can see the last link matches the width of the end link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/145159704948?
Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote