The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 February 2023, 03:38 AM   #1
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

a Lange Odysseus vs AP Royal Oak

I love them both, and just like my other post, I am aware getting any of these high-end steel sporty watches from a boutique at a retail is slim to none, anyways to the point, if you were given a chance between these 2 watches, and can only have one which one would you get and why?

To start, I would probably go for the a Lange Odysseus because:

1. I like the fact that Odysseus is not one of Gerald Genta designed watch or one of those that followed that styles
2. I like the fact that a Lange makes far less watches each year, which means exclusivity
3. I like the fact that a Lange is mostly a dress watch company which puts Odysseus in a very special category in their catalog
4. I like the fact that a Lange as a company and Odysseus as a watch is less likely to be noticed from non-watch geeks.
5. I like the fact that Odysseus has the micro adjustable clasp, and has decent WR so I can take it to my 3ft swimming pool to stand in there for like 10-15minutes...
6. I like the fact that a Lange has sons.
7. I like the fact that I am trying to find as much pro's to like Odysseus more than the Royal Oak.

Finally I like the fact that dreaming about choosing between the two beautiful watches. A Lange Odysseus wins on my book just because I think it is more interesting.

Now it's your turn?
aaronkimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 03:53 AM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The case of the Odysseus and the dial (particularly the SS blue dial) is amazing! I like the iconic Lange apertures telling the day and date. But the bracelet is no where near the RO, which is probably the best SS bracelet in the whole industry. Also dislike the fact that Lange doesn’t want to make a full WG bracelet for the WG Odysseus.

I think the Odysseus is a solid A- for Lange’s first sport watch. The bracelet is certainly the only part where it needs to improve. Then it is truly in the big league with the Nautilus and the RO. Personally for me, as an overall package, the Nautilus and RO is still first and second, Odysseus third and VCO fourth. That says a lot about how good the first Odysseus and its untapped potential going forward, considering the VCO as part of the holy trinity has a longer history.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 04:08 AM   #3
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
The case of the Odysseus and the dial (particularly the SS blue dial) is amazing! I like the iconic Lange apertures telling the day and date. But the bracelet is no where near the RO, which is probably the best SS bracelet in the whole industry. Also dislike the fact that Lange doesn’t want to make a full WG bracelet for the WG Odysseus.

I think the Odysseus is a solid A- for Lange’s first sport watch. The bracelet is certainly the only part where it needs to improve. Then it is truly in the big league with the Nautilus and the RO. Personally for me, as an overall package, the Nautilus and RO is still first and second, Odysseus third and VCO fourth. That says a lot about how good the first Odysseus and its untapped potential going forward, considering the VCO as part of the holy trinity has a longer history.
Well said, and I agree mostly, reason I left out the Nautilus is since you can only get those as used (or unworn from secondary market) and I personally (personal preferences) don't like the overall look of Nautilus nor think the Patek has any superiority in watch making most people rank Patek as #1 because of their line up but for Nautilus itself other than the resell value portion, movement isn't superior, finishing isn't superior, design isn't original, really they don't have anything to brag (IMHO). But I do agree RO has best bracelet and has industrial chic general looks, and that bracelet is unbeatable so far.
Old 2 February 2023, 04:40 AM   #4
raclaims
"TRF" Member

The main point that really helps...I wear it often when I'm traveling vs a RO as I presume no one really knows what it is. Plus it's super easy to read and set the day/date and the adjustable clasp is best in biz.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 12:33 AM   #5
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkimk View Post
I love them both, and just like my other post, I am aware getting any of these high-end steel sporty watches from a boutique at a retail is slim to none, anyways to the point, if you were given a chance between these 2 watches, and can only have one which one would you get and why?

To start, I would probably go for the a Lange Odysseus because:

1. I like the fact that Odysseus is not one of Gerald Genta designed watch or one of those that followed that styles
2. I like the fact that a Lange makes far less watches each year, which means exclusivity
3. I like the fact that a Lange is mostly a dress watch company which puts Odysseus in a very special category in their catalog
4. I like the fact that a Lange as a company and Odysseus as a watch is less likely to be noticed from non-watch geeks.
5. I like the fact that Odysseus has the micro adjustable clasp, and has decent WR so I can take it to my 3ft swimming pool to stand in there for like 10-15minutes...
7. I like the fact that I am trying to find as much pro's to like Odysseus more than the Royal Oak.

Finally I like the fact that dreaming about choosing between the two beautiful watches. A Lange Odysseus wins on my book just because I think it is more interesting.

Now it's your turn?
I prefer the Royal Oak to the Lange Odd. Curious though, why the comparison between these two very different watches?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 03:31 AM   #6
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Royal Oak all day
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 03:32 AM   #7
psv
"TRF" Member

I want to like the Lange... but I don't.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 04:13 AM   #8
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

This is one of those odd situations where I would go with the Royal Oak....and I'm not a Royal Oak fan but a huge fan of ALS.

I just don't get the Odysseus. It's a really oddly shaped and awkward "sports" watch. A redesign is desperately in need, starting with the odd lug/case integration.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 04:35 AM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
This is one of those odd situations where I would go with the Royal Oak....and I'm not a Royal Oak fan but a huge fan of ALS.

I just don't get the Odysseus. It's a really oddly shaped and awkward "sports" watch. A redesign is desperately in need, starting with the odd lug/case integration.
Agree, the Odysseus is a weird watch and I am no big Royal Oak fan either.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 05:02 AM   #10
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Easy choice for the Odysseus, RO is so generic these days.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 06:53 AM   #11
serenerabbit
Banned

Watch: VTNR
Royal Oak.
serenerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 07:14 AM   #12
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I prefer the Royal Oak to the Lange Odd. Curious though, why the comparison between these two very different watches?
Oh only reason I chose these 2 as VS is because I like these 2 watches (well I also like VC Historiques 222 but that thing is league of it's own so I didn't add to the comparison....) I wanted to know what others think.
Old 3 February 2023, 07:21 AM   #13
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

I haven’t strapped on the LO so I’ll reserve my judgement, from what I’ve seen photos don’t do it justice.

The RO bracelet is crossing into jewelry, it’s stunning day or night. Forget the watch, AP could simply sell its one bracelet as a stand-alone product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 08:08 AM   #14
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Honestly neither.

I am a Lange fanboy but the Odysseus is too much of a departure for me. The movement is one of my least favorite Lange movements. That being said it's one of the best movements founds in a sports watch most likely. I suspect Lange outsources their bracelet manufacture just like the case. If you buy a Lange you buy it for the movement so for Odysseus money you can get a ALS chrono movement watch which is end game for me.

The 15202 is the ONLY modern Royal Oak in my mind and I have pontificated heavily on owning one. But on the wrist it doesn't look as good on me as it seems it would in my imagination. It is not something I would wear often like a 116500 - the money is in the bracelet and case finishing but it's a scratch magnet, it has lower water resistance, and the 5712 looks way better on my own wrist in terms of an ultra thin case. I love the idea of a Royal Oak but reality didn't meet fantasy for me.

I did recently buy a VC Overseas and I can see why these integrated steel haute horology sport watches are so popular. They straddle a balance between sports watch and dress watch, making them very versatile which appeals to many people, the dream of one watch for everything. However, if you own 10 watches let's say spanning Rolex to Haute Horology, sporty to dressy, there is less appeal to owning a middle ground watch like a Odysseus, Overseas, Nautilus, or Royal Oak. I hope this makes sense.
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 08:10 AM   #15
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
For me without hesitation - the Odysseus would be my choice. I had a chance to try this one on - i really like how understated it looks - hopefully one of these days I'll get to actually own one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4472.jpg (120.1 KB, 908 views)
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 09:02 AM   #16
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
A fine point, very important.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 10:17 AM   #17
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
Honestly neither.

I am a Lange fanboy but the Odysseus is too much of a departure for me. The movement is one of my least favorite Lange movements. That being said it's one of the best movements founds in a sports watch most likely. I suspect Lange outsources their bracelet manufacture just like the case. If you buy a Lange you buy it for the movement so for Odysseus money you can get a ALS chrono movement watch which is end game for me.

The 15202 is the ONLY modern Royal Oak in my mind and I have pontificated heavily on owning one. But on the wrist it doesn't look as good on me as it seems it would in my imagination. It is not something I would wear often like a 116500 - the money is in the bracelet and case finishing but it's a scratch magnet, it has lower water resistance, and the 5712 looks way better on my own wrist in terms of an ultra thin case. I love the idea of a Royal Oak but reality didn't meet fantasy for me.

I did recently buy a VC Overseas and I can see why these integrated steel haute horology sport watches are so popular. They straddle a balance between sports watch and dress watch, making them very versatile which appeals to many people, the dream of one watch for everything. However, if you own 10 watches let's say spanning Rolex to Haute Horology, sporty to dressy, there is less appeal to owning a middle ground watch like a Odysseus, Overseas, Nautilus, or Royal Oak. I hope this makes sense.
Well said, and I respect your opinion, though I personally think this new experimentation from ALS is super great, they moved away from their safe zone that alone is more than enough for me to give them credit, and (I haven't yet actually seen the watch so I can't say what it will be like) but most reviews that they had hands on have said it's much better in person.
Old 3 February 2023, 10:18 AM   #18
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
A fine point, very important.
Yes, this was the most important point of all!
Old 3 February 2023, 10:18 AM   #19
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg43c View Post
For me without hesitation - the Odysseus would be my choice. I had a chance to try this one on - i really like how understated it looks - hopefully one of these days I'll get to actually own one.
What a beauty!
Old 3 February 2023, 10:20 AM   #20
djnick
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak is a dime a dozen, you already know which is the right one to get
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 04:22 PM   #21
DonLee
"TRF" Member

The dial / movement => Odysseus.

The overall watch integration = > Royal Oak.

Depends what you are looking for. i think if i were to get an Odysseus, I'd wear it on a strap. The bracelet integration is off. But I love the big date and big day of the week
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 06:00 PM   #22
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
The dial / movement => Odysseus.

The overall watch integration = > Royal Oak.

Depends what you are looking for. i think if i were to get an Odysseus, I'd wear it on a strap. The bracelet integration is off. But I love the big date and big day of the week
Yeah the integration is off because the Odd bracelet isn't really integrated. It's a sports watch, sort of.... But it's not an "integrated" sports watch.

This is why I was curious about why The Odd was being compared to the Royal Oak. Two very different watches in two different categories.
Old 3 February 2023, 06:18 PM   #23
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah the integration is off because the Odd bracelet isn't really integrated. It's a sports watch, sort of.... But it's not an "integrated" sports watch.

This is why I was curious about why The Odd was being compared to the Royal Oak. Two very different watches in two different categories.
Pretty sure a buyer looking at an Oddyseus would also consider a RO and vice versa, not sure on what planet they aren't comparable.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 08:52 PM   #24
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I love the Royal Oak. It is timeless like a 911, and is so strikingly beautiful. I wish I can get one from the Boutique before my retirement.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 12:03 AM   #25
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Pretty sure a buyer looking at an Oddyseus would also consider a RO and vice versa, not sure on what planet they aren't comparable.
yeah... that's exactly what this thread is about. Yet they are very different watches. Feel like we are going in circles here.
Old 4 February 2023, 09:36 AM   #26
aaronkimk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Pretty sure a buyer looking at an Odysseus would also consider a RO and vice versa, not sure on what planet they aren't comparable.
- I think other's are curious why both different watches (didn't thought that through on my end as I am still new to watch world and still learning)

Quote:
yeah... that's exactly what this thread is about. Yet they are very different watches. Feel like we are going in circles here.
- Thank you, on pointing out those, I'm not really watch savvy so even after your interpretation not sure why Odysseus is not a integrated bracelet watch, because both RO and Odysseus looks to me a SS all on one watch.. Maybe it's some technical term that I am not understanding or something anyways both look beautiful to my eyes, I am more in the beginning phase of watch world, and wants to purchase my first high-end steel sporty watch for the right reason of showing off to my friends...
Old 4 February 2023, 08:09 PM   #27
Bug04
"TRF" Member

In my view, bottom line, two great watches but 15202, despite being a “luxury sport watch”, is way too weak to be in the Olimpo.
Odysseus instead has some weird shapes for my eyes, but overall I like it and it transfer to me an idea of a much solid watch.
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 11:39 AM   #28
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I am sorry but not even in the same league for me. Both brands are my two favorite brands so I do not have any bias towards either. I have owned a few ROs and have handled the titanium Odysseus. I was extremely underwhelmed. The bracelet, dial texture/light play, case finishing etc. Not on the same level. I would take most Lange dress pieces over AP dress pieces.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 07:31 PM   #29
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
I would lean to the Lange as I prefer to be under the radar and more practical but there is no denying the sheer physical beauty of a Royal Oak.

There is nothing quite like on the wrist.

I watched a series on Apple TV called Echo 3 recently where a white dial featured prominently and it was all I could see.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 12:00 AM   #30
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
-
- Thank you, on pointing out those, I'm not really watch savvy so even after your interpretation not sure why Odysseus is not a integrated bracelet watch, because both RO and Odysseus looks to me a SS all on one watch.. Maybe it's some technical term that I am not understanding or something anyways both look beautiful to my eyes, I am more in the beginning phase of watch world, and wants to purchase my first high-end steel sporty watch for the right reason of showing off to my friends...
Haha. Both of those watches definitely have their fan clubs so finding people to impress with either of those options shouldn't be hard. On a serious note, and as has been said many times before, the only thing that really matters is your opinion about it. So the best advice is to get the one you like more... or just settle for both.