The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 February 2023, 01:23 AM   #91
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I wasn’t actually doing Dry January. I already don’t drink. But co-sign most of above — Alcohol over time can make it harder to enjoy things without alcohol. As for what constitutes an “alcoholic” I think that’s a loaded term that inevitably leads to quibbling over who really counts as one.
Agree. The term has a variety of interpretations. But the medical professions do define it and classify it is a disease that requires a treatment program. Unfortunately, there is a stigma associated with the term that people fight to avoid, which delays their acceptance that they have the disease.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 02:00 AM   #92
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I like to have a couple pilsners while cooking dinner. Only problem is that I will do that whether I am cooking or not lol and then on the weekend a couple turns into 4-6 and within a few months I am drinking 3-4 on a weeknight. I am never drunk but sure enjoy getting a buzz and keeping it. I don't drink before dinner time but that hasn't stopped me from gaining weight or abusing alcohol by all accounts. I have scaled back in the last couple years as I have a toddler and worry about the optics from his perspective. Even so I don't like the optics of me having 2 beers a day at dinner time. If I can drink with my wife only I will be fine. She manages to have 2 maybe 3 drinks a week. For now the plan is to stay dry until I am back to my college weight which would require 2 more months by my estimates.
I was the weekend warrior type, didn't really drink much during the week. My social circle gets together on the weekends and it usually turns into enabling drinking. Being around them sober during January was still fun so I don't see the need to go back at this point.
Old 2 February 2023, 02:07 AM   #93
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Not so. Get out of your alcohol fueled malaise. Expend your horizons. Explore. There is life outside of the bottle. You will find it once you choose to leave the booze behind.
That’s shockingly ignorant and pretentious. Very presumptuous as well. I’ll throw in judgmental just for the fun of it.

And if you’ve been reading the thread, I stopped drinking September 1st. Since then, I’ve had three occasions where I’ve had drinks. Not sure 3 occasions in 5 months can be classified as an alcohol fueled malaise.

I’ll leave it here simply because I realize the type of person I’m speaking with already. And I realize an actual discussion is not realistic based on your responses. See that…I can be judgmental too.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 02:52 AM   #94
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That’s shockingly ignorant and pretentious. Very presumptuous as well. I’ll throw in judgmental just for the fun of it.

And if you’ve been reading the thread, I stopped drinking September 1st. Since then, I’ve had three occasions where I’ve had drinks. Not sure 3 occasions in 5 months can be classified as an alcohol fueled malaise.

I’ll leave it here simply because I realize the type of person I’m speaking with already. And I realize an actual discussion is not realistic based on your responses. See that…I can be judgmental too.
Classic defensive response. Your posting history on this forum says otherwise.

Good luck.
Old 2 February 2023, 03:15 AM   #95
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Classic defensive response. Your posting history on this forum says otherwise.

Good luck.
And a classic internet warriors response.

You are obviously a banned member from the past. And clearly you have experience on the topic and are simply jaded because you lost your battle and couldn’t handle yourself.

It’s okay dude. Not everyone has your problems.

And I don’t need luck. But I do appreciate the sentiment. Even though I realize it’s empty as people such as yourself enjoy watching others fail.

Old 2 February 2023, 03:31 AM   #96
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Agree. The term has a variety of interpretations. But the medical professions do define it and classify it is a disease that requires a treatment program. Unfortunately, there is a stigma associated with the term that people fight to avoid, which delays their acceptance that they have the disease.
Most doctors today would use the term Alcohol Use Disorder, which captures a wide variety of people and drinking behaviors. Experts also say not to eat pizza that’s been sitting out for 2 hours, not to have a ground beef burger less than medium well, and that anyone who drinks a bottle of wine has engaged in binge drinking. Maybe all that stuff is true, maybe it’s not. This is an Open Discussion forum, not a conference of clinicians updating the DSM-5
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 03:55 AM   #97
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the years of alcohol (ab)use people lose the ability to respond appropriately to a lot of every day emotions and situational responses. For many people that stay off the sauce it comes back with time and new experiences. Some people do need to replace the chemical dependance with another, more healthy dependence. Everyone is different.

The take away is that sobriety is the best path for alcoholics. Time spent away from the booze allows one to recognize all the excuses that they used to justify their drinking.

Dry January isn’t all alcoholism. Plenty of folks only drink heavily due to all the holiday gatherings. January is a good long month to get back to normal. And having a dry January gives us all the opportunity to support each other in a cause.
Currently downing a few thousand calories of carbs before I go blast my heartrate up to 200BPM for an hour and a half to feel alive for a bit. Its 23 degrees out today.

Definitely one of those people who had to replace their dependence.

It's tough somedays.

Noradrenaline/betadrenaline are far better highs than anything you can buy. Still costs me ~$40/ride in electrolytes, amino acids and food though. Not including equipment costs and gas to the trailhead. Minimum 3 times a week.

85% of people relapse within their first year of treatment.

Took me half dozen tries, 2 rehab visits, & 6 months in a sober living home before I managed to get my first year.

If it were fun, or easy, more people would do it.

I applaud anyone who tries. Some days are extremely boring in my opinion. But a boring day sober is still better than my best day was in Rehab lol

The sad reality is, my sobriety cost more than a Platona, and the wait list was just as long. Most don't have the time or funds/insurance to get there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230201_111630_(750_x_500_pixel).jpg (109.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230201-111310_Connect.jpg (115.5 KB, 179 views)
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 05:31 AM   #98
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And a classic internet warriors response.

You are obviously a banned member from the past. And clearly you have experience on the topic and are simply jaded because you lost your battle and couldn’t handle yourself.

It’s okay dude. Not everyone has your problems.

And I don’t need luck. But I do appreciate the sentiment. Even though I realize it’s empty as people such as yourself enjoy watching others fail.
Attacks, lies, and manipulation. Your bitter response is a common red flag.

Think about your responses. You claim to be a positive influence, yet on this topic you are insecure, intransigent, and out to destroy anyone who would question you.

You can’t beat the demon until you recognize you have a problem.

All the best.
Old 2 February 2023, 05:57 AM   #99
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Attacks, lies, and manipulation. Your bitter response is a common red flag.

Think about your responses. You claim to be a positive influence, yet on this topic you are insecure, intransigent, and out to destroy anyone who would question you.

You can’t beat the demon until you recognize you have a problem.

All the best.
This is actually comical.

Not defensive at all. And I have not lied one time.

Here’s proof:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=883883

And I have openly stated any time I have had a drink, which was literally 3 times since September 1st.

Attacks? Yeah, I’ll respond appropriately to someone projecting their own weaknesses. I have every right to defend myself.

I said “incorrect” to your post. I didn’t say more because I knew where it would go. But you went there anyway. You could have started a discussion. Maybe asked me why I thought your presumptuous statement was incorrect.

Instead, you attacked me and projected your own problems and experience in your response.

Go back, look at what transpired with an open mind. I responded to your vitriol. It’s that simple. So again, who is attacking and manipulating? You sir. I think that’s clear.

And no bitterness in any of my responses. Annoyance, yes. Bitterness, no. Just calling you out for what you clearly are. Which sadly you project on others.

Old 2 February 2023, 06:34 AM   #100
Maleg
"TRF" Member

I hear ya. For me it was flying airplanes. It took a couple years to not feel drawn back into it. Stick with it. It’s the best gift you’ e ever given yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Currently downing a few thousand calories of carbs before I go blast my heartrate up to 200BPM for an hour and a half to feel alive for a bit. Its 23 degrees out today.

It's tough somedays.

Noradrenaline/betadrenaline are far better highs than anything you can buy. Still costs me ~$40/ride in electrolytes, amino acids and food though. Not including equipment costs and gas to the trailhead. Minimum 3 times a week.

Took me half dozen tries, 2 rehab visits, & 6 months in a sober living home before I managed to get my first year.

I applaud anyone who tries. Some days are extremely boring in my opinion. But a boring day sober is still better than my best day was in Rehab lol

The sad reality is, my sobriety cost more than a Platona, and the wait list was just as long. Most don't have the time or funds/insurance to get there.
Old 2 February 2023, 07:27 AM   #101
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I hear ya. For me it was flying airplanes. It took a couple years to not feel drawn back into it. Stick with it. It’s the best gift you’ e ever given yourself.
Hey wait a minute.

Aren't you just reciting the plot from Top Gun.
Old 2 February 2023, 07:58 AM   #102
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My time off has resulted in a real exit from boozing.

I had two occasions recently where I decided to celebrate. The audit ending being one of them. The other was much more somber.

On both occasions I decided I simply don’t enjoy it anymore. And the dirty feeling I got, lasted into the next morning and beyond. I’m almost disappointed about it. I was hoping I could enjoy a few drinks from time to time.

Part of the challenge though, with feeling better during dry January, is you eventually find that new equilibrium. Once that sets in, things become a bit boring again. The great feeling just feels normal. Then you drink, and you just feel worse. At least this is my experience.

I decided to quit reefer too. That was actually easy. I just stopped. Had one night, one of the drinking nights, where I took a hit or two, and I simply didn’t like that either.

So I’m done. And I’m bored. But it’s better than feeling like crap. My skin is better, and all the benefits I had mentioned before have remained but mostly leveled off.

I do take a certain pride in that I quit successfully. I love going out with customers and watching them drink. It’s a powerful feeling knowing you can do what most cannot.

Now it’s just a focus on health.
A couple things, Superdog. You won't be bored for long, as nature abhors a vacuum. I know, because I was saying the exact same thing to friends and relatives when I quit drinking. Your schedule will fill up with activities that interest you, and don't revolve around drinking or your friend's drinking.

As I posted earlier, I didn't take the no reefer pledge, but honestly, once I was sober and enjoyed that, all desire for weed, etc was just gone.

I see you did drink a few times and I suppose that's part of learning to stay dry, but you're closer than you think to being completely sober as you realize and see that you can do what most others cannot. That is remain sober. It is a great feeling. I quit cold turkey September 17th, 2016. No regrets, for sure.

You'll see soon enough. Every day is awesome and a new adventure.

Remember: Never Question The Decision.

Keep it up!
Old 2 February 2023, 09:38 AM   #103
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post

It's tough somedays.

The only time my HR got that high was the first time I skydived. I thought it would burst out of my chest. I just got back from the gym right now. I ran just under two miles on the treadmill, starting out at 5.6MPH and gradually increasing to 6.5. My max HR was in the mid 150s, and dropped 49 beats within two minutes of stopping. Resting is around 50. I thought I was in pretty decent shape, but seeing your numbers I feel like an advertisement for type II Diabetes medicine.

I congratulate you both on your sobriety and physical fitness
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 12:18 PM   #104
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
The only time my HR got that high was the first time I skydived. I thought it would burst out of my chest. I just got back from the gym right now. I ran just under two miles on the treadmill, starting out at 5.6MPH and gradually increasing to 6.5. My max HR was in the mid 150s, and dropped 49 beats within two minutes of stopping. Resting is around 50. I thought I was in pretty decent shape, but seeing your numbers I feel like an advertisement for type II Diabetes medicine.

Max heart rate goes down by about 1 bpm with age. 330ci is under 30.
Old 2 February 2023, 09:05 PM   #105
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I’m done. And I’m bored. But it’s better than feeling like crap. My skin is better, and all the benefits I had mentioned before have remained but mostly leveled off.

I do take a certain pride in that I quit successfully. I love going out with customers and watching them drink. It’s a powerful feeling knowing you can do what most cannot.

Now it’s just a focus on health.
Been 19 years for me. It takes a while, but you soon realize life unfiltered is more than enough to cure boredom, and life itself is a great teacher for folks like us.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 10:14 PM   #106
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

Thank you Paul, I wish I were like you and never touched the crap in the first place. That level of insight is brilliant in my opinion.

150s sounds extremely healthy to me. That is what most health and fitness coaches are going to have you target during training. If you want to bump it up a bit, push yourself to your max running pace until you're out of breath, then keep going until you're about to trip. Then dial it down to your walking pace, allow HR to recover, then repeat.

I basically do that on my bike, and my heart rate kind of hops between 160-200 and stays in between that range

There's a bit of preparation to get there. Beyond eating a bunch of carbs, I usually down a liter of ph water, a nuun hydration tablet, and blue powerade before eating. Then drink a monster and 1425-2850MG of Amino acids in my car before pulling my bike off the roof.

It's all about the training and partially due to age as Star Ferry pointed out. Theoretically our Max HR is 220-age. Which when I analyze the data its saying 196-202 max for me over the last few training sessions. I've recorded as high as 227 in a crit race ÷/- whatever error % this garmin watch has. Almost all my training is zone 4/5 though which is probably not recommended. I just like the feel good endorphins, and it is fun seeing what the human body is capable of.

I did take a few months off as I hate the cold, and I had half a dozen crashes last season that really messed up my hips, some muscles in my thigh and my right knee. My resting heart rate is 47-50 at the moment. After I got the flu around new years, it never quite came back down again. I have some work to do. I'm feeling good and strong though already. Didn't think it would come back this quick.

I would totally recommend Roctane Amino Acids before any workout though. Helps so much with muscle fatigue
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 03:12 AM   #107
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
A couple things, Superdog. You won't be bored for long, as nature abhors a vacuum. I know, because I was saying the exact same thing to friends and relatives when I quit drinking. Your schedule will fill up with activities that interest you, and don't revolve around drinking or your friend's drinking.

As I posted earlier, I didn't take the no reefer pledge, but honestly, once I was sober and enjoyed that, all desire for weed, etc was just gone.

I see you did drink a few times and I suppose that's part of learning to stay dry, but you're closer than you think to being completely sober as you realize and see that you can do what most others cannot. That is remain sober. It is a great feeling. I quit cold turkey September 17th, 2016. No regrets, for sure.

You'll see soon enough. Every day is awesome and a new adventure.

Remember: Never Question The Decision.

Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
Been 19 years for me. It takes a while, but you soon realize life unfiltered is more than enough to cure boredom, and life itself is a great teacher for folks like us.

Appreciate the comments guys. Thank you, and agree. But thanks for the encouragement. It is great appreciated.

I do feel compelled to explain a little bit further about the "bored" comment. And I really don't want to start the back and forth again, so I am going to be as sensitive to others as possible.

When I was a kid I saw Silverado. Still one of my favorite movies. Not sure why, but one line in the movie really stuck out with me. Kevin Kline looked at a Saloon and stated "my favorite place on earth is a Saloon".

I can relate to that. For years my fun place was sitting at a bar. Not drinking heavily per say, but hanging out at the bar having dinner and drinks. But I would sit there for hours meeting people. I did this while single, I would go with friends or a girl. Or I would go alone and meet girls or whatever. Then I did it with my wife. Then I did it single again.

And to be clear, I stopped drinking because of health reasons. My pancreas does not work very well. I have to take enzymes before every meal because my body does not digest fat very well. I am on a low fat diet as a result. I also have gout. Drinking exacerbates gout. But my diet is further limited due to the gout in general.

So when I say I am bored, it is because life as I knew it changed. My fun and happy place is no longer. My enjoying a big meal or a big steak is no longer. My enjoying a glass of wine and having a chat is no longer. I don't sit down to big meals. I don't enjoy conversations or meeting new people over drinks. Reading a book with a glass of wine is no longer. Snowy nights with a little bit of whisky is no longer.

Quitting booze was harder due to the change of my lifestyle than it was for actually quitting booze. I enjoyed all those actives above.

And yeah my new lifestyle gets boring. I hang out at home much more and I focus on fitness that much more. I enjoy both. Fitness was always a hobby. But life is different and far more boring.

I actually had my body composition done yesterday. In the last 5 months, I have lost 2.5% body fat and put on 4lbs of muscle. I love fitness and I am seeing gains like I never have before. I am loving it. But going to sleep at 9:30 and being at the gym by 5:30 is boring.

So when someone says, without knowledge of anyone else's life, that they need to get a new hobby, I think that is incorrect. I like my hobby's very much. But my life is most certainly boring in comparison to what it was.

Fact is, my life changed for the better. I am very happy. But without question, it is boring in comparison.

Everyone is different. And some folks need the program, which I respect. It is a great program. I have many friends that are living great lives because of AA. I am having lunch with a couple that met in AA this very Saturday. I did not go to any meetings. I do not believe I had a problem. I do not have a desire to drink. I have a desire to be in the "scene". I simply liked it. I enjoyed the lifestyle very much.

I am very happy now too. I adapt pretty easily to most things. And I love focusing on fitness and on myself. But for certain, my life is far more boring than it was. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is a good thing.

I hope that makes more sense and does not trigger anyone. My goal was not to upset anyone. My goal was simply to add color to the original boring comment I made, and maybe even help some others understand different perspectives.

Old 3 February 2023, 03:29 AM   #108
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Interesting thread. I’ve been thinking about stopping alcohol for good recently, motivated by its overall negative health effects. It’s a significant carcinogen, for one. Reading through has nudged me along to a decision. I particularly like the phrase referred to by Langnam: Never Question the Decision.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 03:54 AM   #109
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
Interesting thread. I’ve been thinking about stopping alcohol for good recently, motivated by its overall negative health effects. It’s a significant carcinogen, for one. Reading through has nudged me along to a decision. I particularly like the phrase referred to by Langnam: Never Question the Decision.
me too. it is a great quote.

Old 3 February 2023, 04:16 AM   #110
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think you kind of nailed why drinking is so difficult for most people to stop. Because it's so tied into culture and socializing. I worked in a Cheers type bar for 4 years and it's still probably the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

My wife stopped drinking fairly recently, and I never drank a lot, but our favorite places on vacation were sitting at bars having dinner instead of at tables, because we got to meet and converse with a lot of people. Often we will still sit there and she has says she doesn't have a problem with it, but for some it can be impossible to sit there nursing a soda water and have it the same social get together.

Rearranging ones social life can be difficult and perhaps far less fun, but when alcohol is a "problem", we just have to do it.

Good for you Seth and others, and I hope the substitutions you make can return the same social interaction and fun.
Old 3 February 2023, 05:39 AM   #111
Star Ferry
Banned

I think a nice thing about Dry January or any hiatus, is it can “reset” the relationship with alcohol. For example, somebody in a rut of drinking 3 or 4 nights a week, every week, can interrupt that habit. Even if they do start drinking again, it might become once or twice a week or even less going forward.

In reality, there are people doing dry January who should probably never drink again. For example, those who’ve been fired from jobs for drinking, or have suffered criminal or acute medical consequences from drinking. But it can also just be a break and a reset
Old 3 February 2023, 05:45 AM   #112
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
… our favorite places on vacation were sitting at bars having dinner instead of at tables …
This is exactly my wife and I.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 05:52 AM   #113
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I think a nice thing about Dry January or any hiatus, is it can “reset” the relationship with alcohol. For example, somebody in a rut of drinking 3 or 4 nights a week, every week, can interrupt that habit. Even if they do start drinking again, it might become once or twice a week or even less going forward.

In reality, there are people doing dry January who should probably never drink again. For example, those who’ve been fired from jobs for drinking, or have suffered criminal or acute medical consequences from drinking. But it can also just be a break and a reset
Agree. It can be an opportunity for reflection.

A coworker quit in dry January a few years ago. She realized she was planning her business travel around hotels and restaurants with bars. She would stay many miles away from a client to be nearer to the watering hole. I don’t know if she would have realized the connection had she not taken a month off as part of a group observing dry January.
Old 3 February 2023, 08:13 AM   #114
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post

I can’t take credit for “Never Question The Decision.” Once I quit drinking, I was scanning websites and found one called Hip Sobriety. The founder tattooed the initials NQTD on her knuckles as a reminder.
She wrote quite elegantly about the phrase, and as you can tell, it really stuck with me. Really helped me through the early months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 February 2023, 09:52 AM   #115
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Little late to this party but I started my “dry month” this past Sunday. Went to a local all-you-care-to-drink beer festival with my wife and friends on Saturday the 28th. As anticipated we all drank way too much, but where my wife and friends got sick and had two day long hangovers, I drank just as much, didn’t get sick and went to work the next day like nothing happened. That next day I was a little boastful as they were all “down for the count” but then I realized it’s not a good thing I drink regularly enough to not be violently hung over after a night like that. When my wife said she wanted to take a break for February I couldn’t jump on the wagon fast enough. Tough part is my birthday is this month, but I think I can still enjoy it without the booze.

Going to Punta Cana in mid march so might have some beers on the beach while I’m there, or maybe by then I won’t care to. Time will tell.

P.S. glad to be on the wagon with Seth and my other friends here!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 09:58 AM   #116
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We also enjoy sitting at the bar sometimes instead of at the table.

Dry January (into a damp February ) has been nice but it's definitely not something that will turn into stone cold sober for me.

Generally speaking, the wife and I would have a drink or two each weekend, as well as on vacation - and we enjoy it.

Lighter drinking for us - even lighter than before? Sure. Total stoppage? Nah.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 10:21 AM   #117
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Little late to this party but I started my “dry month” this past Sunday. Went to a local all-you-care-to-drink beer festival with my wife and friends on Saturday the 28th. As anticipated we all drank way too much, but where my wife and friends got sick and had two day long hangovers, I drank just as much, didn’t get sick and went to work the next day like nothing happened. That next day I was a little boastful as they were all “down for the count” but then I realized it’s not a good thing I drink regularly enough to not be violently hung over after a night like that. When my wife said she wanted to take a break for February I couldn’t jump on the wagon fast enough. Tough part is my birthday is this month, but I think I can still enjoy it without the booze.

Going to Punta Cana in mid march so might have some beers on the beach while I’m there, or maybe by then I won’t care to. Time will tell.

P.S. glad to be on the wagon with Seth and my other friends here!
Right on my brother.

Wish I had the wolf emoji on this site.

Old 3 February 2023, 10:36 AM   #118
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Even now I’m rarely at a table. Still prefer the bar.

I enjoy the social spect of it. I just go out a lot less. And drink water instead.

Old 3 February 2023, 10:54 AM   #119
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Dry January

Quote:
Even now I’m rarely at a table. Still prefer the bar.

I enjoy the social spect of it. I just go out a lot less. And drink water instead.

I can relate….my social life, as with most folks, most of the time involved alcohol before I quit. I shut it down for awhile after I quit because I was not “confident” enough to go back to the same social situations without alcohol involvement, as I’m naturally a shy person, and alcohol gave me the “non-shy” factor to be social in any situation.
What happened naturally over time was….I became WAY more confident as a person because I was proud of who I was, what I have done, and I’ll handle any social situation now… eagerly! As I said before, my fitness level improved, even though I was doing triathlons before quitting, my body is in better shape visually and internally at 54, vs when I was playing baseball in college.
My hobbies are still the same now, but I’m without a doubt a better, more confident person after becoming sober, and I actually have a favorite part from an Eminem song (I’m not afraid) that I relate to very well. Hopefully you’ll relate to it as well.
…..

No more drama from now on, I promise
to focus solely on handlin my responsibilities as a father
So I solemnly swear to always treat this roof, like my daughters
and raise it, you couldn't lift a single shingle on it!
Cause the way I feel, I'm strong enough to go to the club or the corner pub, and lift the whole liquor counter up
Cause I'm raising the bar
I'd shoot for the moon but I'm too busy gazin at stars
I feel amazing and I'm
I'm not afraid (I'm not afraid)
To take a stand (to take a stand)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 08:55 PM   #120
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I woke up and had a bit of a chuckle this am, thinking of this thread.

I went across the street last night to my favorite restaurant. I sat at the bar, as always.

I ran into an old friend and we caught up for a few minutes. She was meeting up with three other friends. They ended up sitting next to me. My friend who was next to me moved closer and says, “oh my god, I’m switching seats with my girlfriend, she thinks you are so hot”. I was close to finishing up. I chatted with her friend as I finished my decaf coffee, without desert, I’ll add, as I’m avoiding all unnecessary sugar to avoid in inflammation.

Anyway, I go home instead of hanging out as I just wasn’t feeling it. I did two loads of laundry and was thrilled I got that much done. Then I read a book. I almost never take melatonin, but I figured it was Friday night. And I wasn’t very tired.

I timed the melatonin perfectly. I read in bed until I fell asleep with the book on my chest. I woke up an hour later to pee and turn my light off.

I was thrilled to sleep through the night. I woke up with my dog snuggling me as it’s coooolllldddd out. My digestive system rewarded me for good food choices. I was again thrilled and at that point thinking of this thread.

Yeah. My life is boring.

I’m not saying I don’t like it. Please don’t read into that. I’m genuinely super pleased right now. Drinking ginger tea and waiting until the gym opens at 7:00.

But yeah, that was my Friday night, and I would not choose another way to spend it. But yeah, boring.

And I swear on my dog eyes, that was my exact night last night.