The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2022, 01:42 PM   #61
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like a great time capsule!
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:49 PM   #62
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
I’m no spring chicken, like a lot of you guys here…. And, at this rate I’ll drop dead before I see a grandchild! �� My now adult children aren’t pumping out kids young like we did in our generation…..My time frame is arbitrary and hopefully at my grandkids entry into their young adult lives…
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
PM watch for a 20 yr old??? How about a sub or GMT? Seems pretty excessive
Quote:
How many can people can afford to turn a PM Daytona into a "Safe Queen" for 20 years. AND resist strapping it on your wrist?

That's my goal!

Of course in 20 years said Queen, will be a gift, to my first born Grandchild, not the investment aspect.
I’m a bit confused.

From the first post, I assumed the Daytona was purchased when the 1st grandchild was born, and I thought “a birth year watch is a really nice gift.”

But did question a PM watch for a 20 yr old since the kids (at my age, anyone in their 20’s or younger is a kid) on social media flaunting PM Rollies seem pretty useless.

But reading the later posts, there’s not yet a grandchild?

In any case, it’s your money, and whatever makes you happy is what matters most even if it makes little sense to others.
This entire forum is dedicated to people spending what many others regard as excessive amounts of money on what those others consider to be pointless objects.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:55 PM   #63
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m just not that guy Don but I know collectors out there like you. Do whatever makes you happy.

I do indeed have a friend who’s dad purchased a zenith Daytona and kept it NIB. He has it and has also chosen to keep it NIB. So nobody has worn the damn thing. I find it criminal and tell him often haha
Old 23 May 2022, 02:11 PM   #64
dlrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Like wise but to some now Rolex watches are little more than £$€ object things.
dlrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:45 PM   #65
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Another passion of mine is Corvettes. I’ve owned, restored from ground up and driven them thousands of miles. Earning the highest awards on the planet. I am very lucky to have found a very low mileage (17,300 at purchase) ‘71 Big Block 4 sp. As I pulled away from the seller I turned and said, “ no one will see this car for sale in the next 20 years.” Now some 18 years later with a total of 18,500 miles on it, I’ve almost made my goal!

I do buy and hold! lol 😂
As a long time Vette owner (been driving them since the 70’s), this actually makes me sad, why have something this special and just not drive it…. That’s the bad part of this. It was meant to be enjoyed, not stored. I’ve never sold a vette that had less than 50k and many with more than that.

Just my 2 cents.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:56 PM   #66
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
The consensus here is clearly opposed to the idea, and the large majority here also flipped the question towards the investment aspect....It can be said, they probably can't afford to do this.....

This one line I do think hits the grand slam:

"This entire forum is dedicated to people spending what many others regard as excessive amounts of money on what those others consider to be pointless objects."

Unless an unforeseen event occurs and my wife or I, find the need for these funds, it will sit in my safe (which isn't easily accessed), collecting dust....

Some may remember the history of my WG Daytona journey, and how the first one I purchased broke after only 52 days on my wrist. I do truly believe this was a sign, showing my disrespect for what I had. At that time, it was just a watch, worn with no real regard for how precious or artistic these small machines are. Yes, there are other manufacturers and one of a kind timepieces, but I like Rolex brand for as long as I can remember....

I do thank every single post here, it's the individual thoughts and ideas I love to listen to and learn!

Only 225 months to go!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 09:58 PM   #67
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
As a long time Vette owner (been driving them since the 70’s), this actually makes me sad, why have something this special and just not drive it…. That’s the bad part of this. It was meant to be enjoyed, not stored. I’ve never sold a vette that had less than 50k and many with more than that.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't fret, there's ALWAYS one Vette, being driven! And driven hard!

Like my Rolex, there's always one on my arm, being driven!
Old 23 May 2022, 10:06 PM   #68
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I remember your journey in buying your Daytona.

I’ve come back to this thread because another two issues have come to my mind with the said watch you’re putting away.

#1 is it’s an oyster flex. I’m not sure if rubber will start to Deteriorate after twenty years of sitting in a safe?

#2 is that the gold will inevitably patina so the watch will not look new anyway.

Just for food for thought.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:11 PM   #69
WastedYears
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine was gifted his grandfather's gold day-date. He never wears it because it's gold and far too blingy for his life style - and he is a graphic designer for VR interfaces in his early 40s.

Don't get your grandkid a watch he might appreciate when he goes into retirement age. Don't get him a watch that you would wear. Get him a Sub, or better yet an Explorer.
WastedYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:13 PM   #70
JohnnyW
"TRF" Member

Why not do something a bit more classy and buy a good bottle of Macallan's to put away? You could even buy a case to cover you if you have more than one grandchild.
JohnnyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:21 PM   #71
amsterdamfats
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116503
Quote:
How many can people can afford to turn a PM Daytona into a "Safe Queen" for 20 years. AND resist strapping it on your wrist?

That's my goal!

Of course in 20 years said Queen, will be a gift, to my first born Grandchild, not the investment aspect.
I'll just wear it until then!
My son will probably wear it too.........

then the grandkids!!!

by that time i hope to have the lv too!!!
amsterdamfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 10:22 PM   #72
DonRickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I remember your journey in buying your Daytona.

I’ve come back to this thread because another two issues have come to my mind with the said watch you’re putting away.

#1 is it’s an oyster flex. I’m not sure if rubber will start to Deteriorate after twenty years of sitting in a safe?

#2 is that the gold will inevitably patina so the watch will not look new anyway.

Just for food for thought.
Not an Oyster Flex, full metal WG 116509

The WG might tend to age the same as my WG Blue Stoned High School ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyW View Post
Why not do something a bit more classy and buy a good bottle of Macallan's to put away? You could even buy a case to cover you if you have more than one grandchild.
Google Octomore 6.3…. I have several in the cellar…
Old 23 May 2022, 10:37 PM   #73
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Sorry but I don't really get it. If I was 20 years old I'd probably want the latest model, on the other hand my Grandfather giving me his watch that he loved I could see the sentiment and sacrifice.

I wear a ring that both my grandfather and father wore, it's 9 Karat gold and not even worth the price of a spare link of one of my watches, but its the most important thing I own.

Keeping it in a safe neither gives the sentimental value or the watch he would probably want at the time.

Also, I don't know your family circumstances but you may have to source a 3 or 4 more if the grandkids keep coming, I don't think many kids believe that the first born should get handed the lions share these days.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:01 PM   #74
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Despite the fact that you clearly stated its a PM watch I somehow assumed it was the SS model. I am even more convinced its not a great idea. I personally think that whilst its a beautiful watch the non ceramic version looks a bit dated and that's now, not 20 years time. I'd definitely rather the SS ceramic. Of course this is personal opinion, but that's what this is all about since you don't know your grandchild's tastes.
Also you may have a granddaughter, that's a heavy watch to wear (not meaning to offend any ladies, my wife thinks my DD is far to heavy but is fine with a TT DJ).
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:10 PM   #75
bullies
"TRF" Member

What about the rest of the, potential, grandkids?
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:14 PM   #76
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Great idea, go for it. They are just watches, more will be made and it's just a chunk of metal. I wish my Dad had done the same.

I am holding out for a Green OP from an AD and I'll put it in my safe as well for my son.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:27 PM   #77
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's the things you can't see that, well, you can't see.

The more I live my life, the more I understand that the harder I try to force the future into my little dream world, the farther it moves away from it.

But, hey, to each his own.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 11:37 PM   #78
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullies View Post
What about the rest of the, potential, grandkids?
That's what I was thinking. What if there are a few more grandkids? What will Don give to the other grandkids, just from an equitable view? What if more than one of the grandkids wants the watch? What if one of the grandkids wants the watch to wear and another wants the watch to sell? What if grandkid number one is not into the watch, but grandkid number three is?
Old 23 May 2022, 11:59 PM   #79
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogan View Post
I think the watch would mean more to your grandchild if you wore and enjoyed it and then passed it on.
this.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 12:59 AM   #80
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m just not that guy Don but I know collectors out there like you. Do whatever makes you happy.

I do indeed have a friend who’s dad purchased a zenith Daytona and kept it NIB. He has it and has also chosen to keep it NIB. So nobody has worn the damn thing. I find it criminal and tell him often haha
Patek’s tagline to the perverse extreme!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 01:36 AM   #81
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:

That's my goal!

I have bought a 116505 it has a blank card and full stickers ,its been that way for 8 years , Not sure why but its for a special occasion in the future
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:00 AM   #82
melhk
"TRF" Member

What's the point ? As mentioned, there is not much sentimental value if it's just been sitting in a safe...

It's also highly likely that your grandson won't even care much about a dated old watch in 20 years and will probably sell it straight away. But to each is own.
melhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:45 AM   #83
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I look at this from a bit different perspective. I find it perplexing how the older generations seem to be so attached to leaving so many "things" to the next generation...not realizing the next generation usually doesn't care at all about the same "things" that a previous generation did.

As Boomers are retiring and passing away, the world is now awash in big bulky dark china hutches/buffets, hope chests, full sets of display china complete with a gravy boat, real silverware sets, grandfather clocks, wedding clocks, and other things that the next generation just don't want (but the original owners thought would be a great thing to hand down over generations). Folks can now hardly give that stuff away.

There is a good article about it here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...125-story.html

My point is, while it's a wonderfully nice thought in theory, it's likely not so much so in practice (The "feel good" part of it probably more so for the giver, less likely so for the recipient - even a fancy Rolex watch).
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 08:47 AM   #84
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Do we have our new number wait game? Instead of 9 days later we have 225 months to wait!
Hopefully I am still walking this earth and wearing my timepieces.
Old 24 May 2022, 09:04 AM   #85
VegasBaby
Banned

Quote:
I posted this for this very reason! To show that to me it’s not all $$$$! I look at these as Artwork. Say the kids aren’t into watches, this art will still help them in their life’s journey. The right to wear sell or otherwise is 100% up to them, just like my children that will receive my properties!
I would think it would mean so much more to your grandchild to know that his grandpa wore and enjoyed this watch.
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 09:43 AM   #86
Alexexec
"TRF" Member

I would totally wear the crap out of it like I do with all my watches and hand it down as is, chances are they will appreciate a lot more knowing that’s been used by you on the regular
Alexexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 10:34 AM   #87
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
In 20 years of no use at all, The movement will need a serious service. That is if it's not seized up completely. Definitely plan on having it serviced before you gift it.

With my children and grand children I started them out on inexpensive watches so they could learn how to tell time. I would ask them what time it was. Then over the years as there intrest grew in watches I would gift them something better each time.

One of my sons has no interest, my youngest son (40 years old) loves mechanical watches and has several now. I also have a nephew ( member of TRF) that I have gifted many to. He is as infected as bad as I am and is in engineering school in Tennessee. My niece just recently received a watch from me graduating ASU as a gift. She absolutely loves it.

I have no problem gifting to my kin. But I enjoy seeing them get excited about watches that I started them on. 3 years ago I planted the same "seed" with my youngest grand son.

My enjoyment comes from seeing them wear and enjoying a watch I gave them. They will receive my collection when I'm gone. That way I know they will get some good use.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2022, 11:18 AM   #88
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Just my 2 cents but you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if your grandchild has no interest in watches and/or Rolex. I remember proudly showing my first Rolex to a friend who shrugged his shoulders and made some disparaging remark. I also bought what I thought was a cool watch for a younger family member and, although he acted appreciative, I have never seen him wear it or mention it again. He wears his Apple watch daily though.

Do you plan on keeping this a secret from him or her for 20 years?

Maybe considering your interest in cars, a promise to buy him or her a car for their 21st birthday and spend the early years bonding over this idea. Or find out what they like as they develop and focus on that.

Of course, time spent and memories built together will be more meaningful than any of this.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote