The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 14 January 2021, 06:24 PM   #1
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Rolex GMT Master II 126710 BLRO review and long term impressions

Rolex GMT Master II 126710BLRO

I purchased the Rolex GMT Master II BLRO from my local AD in June 2020 and have been wearing it as part of a rotation for a little over half a year. These are my own impressions of the watch in terms of form and function.

Timekeeping
A watch’s primary function is timekeeping which in the case of the BLRO is up to 3 time zones simultaneously (local, destination, reference). Whenever I purchase a new watch, I check its timekeeping by comparing the time against an atomic clock (time.gov) twice a day for a week. I repeat this process annually to monitor for significant deviation and gauge a watch’s health. It is a rudimentary method that serves my purpose well. At the time of purchase, the BLRO maintained -0.4 sec/day. Upon writing this review, rechecking for deviation yielded a changed result of -0.5 sec/day.

Watch case
The BLRO is constructed with 904L steel. The factory finish of the watch case is a mixture of high polish bilaterally on the case sides and brushed on the top surface of the lugs.

The GMT bezel is also constructed of 904L steel with a knurled edge (akin to the Rolex Submariner). The bezel’s side surface is beveled and brushed while the top outline surrounding the ceramic insert is polished. The bezel rotates bidirectionally in 24 set click positions meaning it cannot be used as a makeshift timing instrument unlike previous generations of GMT Masters with 120 click bezels. The tactile sensation of rotating the bezel is smooth-mushy with a definitive click which is vaguely audible.

Steel bezel with 24hr ceramic insert

The combination of high polish and brushed surfaces of the watch case allows for distinct contrast that accentuates its shape.

Case dimensions
Diameter - 40mm
Lug to lug length - 48mm
Lug width - 20mm
Case thickness - 12.5mm

The sapphire crystal is flat with a beveled edge and set slightly taller than the bezel. It lacks anti reflective coating on either side of the crystal. This, combined with the shiny black dial can cause glare effects under numerous lighting conditions which makes photography quite challenging but does not affect time telling.

Dial, hands, & hour markers
The BLRO dial features time and date functions set against a shiny black lacquer dial. The seconds, minute, hour, GMT hands, as well as the applied hour markers are outlined in white gold and adequately filled with Rolex’s proprietary luminescent paint “Chromalight”. The body of the 24 hour hand is painted red.

Cyclops and date window

The signature Rolex cyclops is positioned right above the date window and subtly magnifies the date. The date window has a beveled edge and takes the place of where the hour marker would be at the 3 o’clock position.

Hour markers, seconds, minute, hour, and GMT hands

The dial is surrounded by a minute track that is primarily indexed in white with intermittent thicker(barely) lined indexes at 5 minute intervals. Under poor lighting conditions, the lines appear uniform and it can be difficult to distinguish between the 5th interval lines among the remaining lines of the minute track.

Minute track

The overall combination of white timing elements set against the gloss black dial results in a strong contrast allowing the user to read the time in various lighting conditions.

The dial is decorated in the usual Rolex fashion with the branding below 12 o’clock and model name with superlative COSC designation above 6 o’clock.

Rolex crown & wall of text

Movement
The heart of the BLRO is the Rolex Caliber 3285 which replaces the previous generation’s 3186. It features new designs over its predecessor including innovative chronergy escapement which is essentially a modified Swiss lever escapement using lighter components that allows improved energy transference from the mainspring. Speaking of the mainspring, it’s length is increased and fits into a larger barrel. The combination of the aforementioned enhancements result in an increased 70 hour power reserve.

Also, Rolex’s paraflex shock absorber (a modified KIF) supposedly improves shock absorption but is kinda overkill as the previous generation already had ample shock absorption.

Rolex caliber 3285

(From Rolex)

Functionally, a fully wound mainspring lasts the full 70 hours as advertised. The date wheel snaps to the next date around midnight. The winding of the rotor is buttery smooth and neither audible nor tactile while on the wrist.

Crown
The BLRO has a larger sized crown than its predecessor. The entirety of the crown has a has a high polished finish. The brand’s signature 5 pointed crown is embossed on the cap with 3 bars below it denoting that the crown utilizes the triplock design, which is essentially 3 o-rings that prevent water and dust intrusion via the crown tube. The crown pulls out to 3 positions for winding, setting local time, and a third hacking position to set the reference (GMT) time. Pulling the crown out to any of the 3 positions is a simple endeavor as each position has a distinct position with a tactile click. With regard to winding the movement, the tactile sensation is slick and barely audible.

Crown front and side view

Bracelet
The bracelet is a modern Rolex jubilee bracelet design with 3 middle links in high polish, brushed outer links, and high polished flanks.

Jubilee bracelet

The bracelet wears very comfortably on my 6.5in wrist, has ample spacing between the articulating links for breathability (to not catch hair) and the 5 link design allows for added flexibility. Removable links are secured by screws and blue Loctite is recommended for added security.

The clasp is a sports style Oysterlock similar to the one used in the Explorer that is a clamshell design with a flip lock that keeps it securely shut.

Clasp closed and open

Within the clasp is the useful adjustment feature “Easylink” which is easily deployed for on the fly adjustment (+/- 5mm). If additional adjustment is needed, a micro adjustment system is hidden within the clasp and requires the use of a tool such as the Bergeon 7825 to make adjustments in increments of 3mm up to 9mm.

Easylink deployed, un-deployed and micro adjustment

Water resistance
The BLRO is water resistant to 100m/330ft or 10 bar which is more than adequate for a sports style watch.

Final remarks
Functionally, this is a capable timekeeper that will serve very well as daily timepiece but shines as a traveller’s wrist companion due to its ability to track multiple time zones with relative ease and with style.

Aesthetically, the watch captivates the eye with features that are well defined by the masterful combination of brushed and highly polished surfaces. This aspect, paired with the multifaceted nature of the jubilee bracelet results in a commanding presence as the watch captures light in a myriad display. Oh but it doesn’t stop there. The 1 - 2 punch is followed by a knockout blow as captive eyes are further subjected to the iconic red blue combo of the GMT bezel ensuring a wide smile as one glances for the time.

With regard to fit, the decision to pair the GMT Master II with a jubilee bracelet was much to the chagrin of proponents of the “tool watch ideal” but don’t be fooled. The jubilee may appear “fancy” but is assuredly as robust as it’s oyster counterpart with the added benefit of flexibility and comfort. Having worn the past iteration of the jubilee bracelet for years, I am certain that this is better designed and better built but it remains to be seen if it will withstand the test of time.

The BLRO is a true modern successor to the watch I grew up admiring as a child staring at my father’s collection. Alas, I cannot have the original as it has been inherited by another. Nevertheless, I am more than happy to make new memories with my own.

The “past” and the “present”

Superluminova and Chromalight
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:09 AM   #2
jhew
"TRF" Member

excellent review and very nice photos!
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:39 AM   #3
rrschmieder
2024 Pledge Member

Great review - really quite an icon in the Rolex collection.
rrschmieder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 08:37 AM   #4
holdingon
"TRF" Member

congrats! Very hard to get at the AD...how long did you have to wait?
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:19 PM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
congrats! Very hard to get at the AD...how long did you have to wait?
6 months from the time I requested.
Old 16 January 2021, 02:26 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great review Nick, thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time to post this.

I love my BLRO too. I think it’s one of, if not the best SS Rolex reference
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:37 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great review Nick, thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time to post this.

I love my BLRO too. I think it’s one of, if not the best SS Rolex reference

Thanks TBone! I have to admit, you and Brian’s wrist shots on daily WRUW threads certainly contributed to this addition to my collection
Old 18 January 2021, 10:17 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Thanks TBone! I have to admit, you and Brian’s wrist shots on daily WRUW threads certainly contributed to this addition to my collection

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 21 January 2021, 08:25 AM   #9
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Now thats a write up!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:12 AM   #10
Heater3000
"TRF" Member

Awesome review. And now a question, how did you find the bezel colors, mainly the blue portion? On the BLNR, I feel the blue is almost too ‘bright’ at least in pics. How does this appear in real light? Thanks in advance
Heater3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 04:45 PM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater3000 View Post
Awesome review. And now a question, how did you find the bezel colors, mainly the blue portion? On the BLNR, I feel the blue is almost too ‘bright’ at least in pics. How does this appear in real light? Thanks in advance

I have read that there are variations in colors of the bezel due to the manufacturing process so this may not apply to every BLRO.
I tried to capture the different “blue” hues that I see in this picture by exposing 1 section of the blue in daylight.

BLRO Bezel color gradient based on light exposure

Note the change in hue from 12 to 6 counter clockwise as the blue descends into shade.

In bright daytime light the blue half of the bezel appears pastel blue to me like it shows between 0400 and 0600
Old 22 January 2021, 05:19 PM   #12
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
I have read that there are variations in colors of the bezel due to the manufacturing process so this may not apply to every BLRO.
I tried to capture the different “blue” hues that I see in this picture by exposing 1 section of the blue in daylight.

BLRO Bezel color gradient based on light exposure

Note the change in hue from 12 to 6 counter clockwise as the blue descends into shade.

In bright daytime light the blue half of the bezel appears pastel blue to me like it shows between 0400 and 0600
Love the colors. Great review!
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 09:43 PM   #13
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Excellent review, Nick. Very well written and comprehensive. 👍🏼👏🏼👍🏼🍻

I’ve been ambivalent about adding the BLRO to the collection but the pull of the red and blue has been getting stronger.
sgwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 09:52 PM   #14
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Excellent review, Nick. Very well written and comprehensive.

I’ve been ambivalent about adding the BLRO to the collection but the pull of the red and blue has been getting stronger.

Do it! Singapore is a tough market. I wish you good luck
Old 28 February 2021, 12:19 AM   #15
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Nice review and excellent photography. Thanks for taking the time and for sharing your thoughts.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 10:12 AM   #16
Rcvoelkel
"TRF" Member

Great write up and great looking watch!
Rcvoelkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 11:39 AM   #17
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Bravo. Well done. Terrific review.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 04:00 PM   #18
djdm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-C
Very informative review. Thanks for sharing!
djdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2021, 04:03 PM   #19
Shibata
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Great review. Thanks!
Shibata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 05:24 AM   #20
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdm View Post
Very informative review. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
Bravo. Well done. Terrific review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibata View Post
Great review. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Nice review and excellent photography. Thanks for taking the time and for sharing your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcvoelkel View Post
Great write up and great looking watch!

Thank you everyone! Glad you enjoyed the read.
Old 7 March 2021, 09:15 PM   #21
Flat4Boxer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Great review! Thanks for taking the time to post it up!

126660 DSSD
OMEGA Planet Ocean
Flat4Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 02:33 AM   #22
erinbeckerton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Rolex GMT Master II 126710BLRO

I purchased the Rolex GMT Master II BLRO from my local AD in June 2020 and have been wearing it as part of a rotation for a little over half a year. These are my own impressions of the watch in terms of form and function.

Timekeeping
A watch’s primary function is timekeeping which in the case of the BLRO is up to 3 time zones simultaneously (local, destination, reference). Whenever I purchase a new watch, I check its timekeeping by comparing the time against an atomic clock (time.gov) twice a day for a week. I repeat this process annually to monitor for significant deviation and gauge a watch’s health. It is a rudimentary method that serves my purpose well. At the time of purchase, the BLRO maintained -0.4 sec/day. Upon writing this review, rechecking for deviation yielded a changed result of -0.5 sec/day.

Watch case
The BLRO is constructed with 904L steel. The factory finish of the watch case is a mixture of high polish bilaterally on the case sides and brushed on the top surface of the lugs.

The GMT bezel is also constructed of 904L steel with a knurled edge (akin to the Rolex Submariner). The bezel’s side surface is beveled and brushed while the top outline surrounding the ceramic insert is polished. The bezel rotates bidirectionally in 24 set click positions meaning it cannot be used as a makeshift timing instrument unlike previous generations of GMT Masters with 120 click bezels. The tactile sensation of rotating the bezel is smooth-mushy with a definitive click which is vaguely audible.

Steel bezel with 24hr ceramic insert

The combination of high polish and brushed surfaces of the watch case allows for distinct contrast that accentuates its shape.

Case dimensions
Diameter - 40mm
Lug to lug length - 48mm
Lug width - 20mm
Case thickness - 12.5mm

The sapphire crystal is flat with a beveled edge and set slightly taller than the bezel. It lacks anti reflective coating on either side of the crystal. This, combined with the shiny black dial can cause glare effects under numerous lighting conditions which makes photography quite challenging but does not affect time telling.

Dial, hands, & hour markers
The BLRO dial features time and date functions set against a shiny black lacquer dial. The seconds, minute, hour, GMT hands, as well as the applied hour markers are outlined in white gold and adequately filled with Rolex’s proprietary luminescent paint “Chromalight”. The body of the 24 hour hand is painted red.

Cyclops and date window

The signature Rolex cyclops is positioned right above the date window and subtly magnifies the date. The date window has a beveled edge and takes the place of where the hour marker would be at the 3 o’clock position.

Hour markers, seconds, minute, hour, and GMT hands

The dial is surrounded by a minute track that is primarily indexed in white with intermittent thicker(barely) lined indexes at 5 minute intervals. Under poor lighting conditions, the lines appear uniform and it can be difficult to distinguish between the 5th interval lines among the remaining lines of the minute track.

Minute track

The overall combination of white timing elements set against the gloss black dial results in a strong contrast allowing the user to read the time in various lighting conditions.

The dial is decorated in the usual Rolex fashion with the branding below 12 o’clock and model name with superlative COSC designation above 6 o’clock.

Rolex crown & wall of text

Movement
The heart of the BLRO is the Rolex Caliber 3285 which replaces the previous generation’s 3186. It features new designs over its predecessor including innovative chronergy escapement which is essentially a modified Swiss lever escapement using lighter components that allows improved energy transference from the mainspring. Speaking of the mainspring, it’s length is increased and fits into a larger barrel. The combination of the aforementioned enhancements result in an increased 70 hour power reserve.

Also, Rolex’s paraflex shock absorber (a modified KIF) supposedly improves shock absorption but is kinda overkill as the previous generation already had ample shock absorption.

Rolex caliber 3285

(From Rolex)

Functionally, a fully wound mainspring lasts the full 70 hours as advertised. The date wheel snaps to the next date around midnight. The winding of the rotor is buttery smooth and neither audible nor tactile while on the wrist.

Crown
The BLRO has a larger sized crown than its predecessor. The entirety of the crown has a has a high polished finish. The brand’s signature 5 pointed crown is embossed on the cap with 3 bars below it denoting that the crown utilizes the triplock design, which is essentially 3 o-rings that prevent water and dust intrusion via the crown tube. The crown pulls out to 3 positions for winding, setting local time, and a third hacking position to set the reference (GMT) time. Pulling the crown out to any of the 3 positions is a simple endeavor as each position has a distinct position with a tactile click. With regard to winding the movement, the tactile sensation is slick and barely audible.

Crown front and side view

Bracelet
The bracelet is a modern Rolex jubilee bracelet design with 3 middle links in high polish, brushed outer links, and high polished flanks.

Jubilee bracelet

The bracelet wears very comfortably on my 6.5in wrist, has ample spacing between the articulating links for breathability (to not catch hair) and the 5 link design allows for added flexibility. Removable links are secured by screws and blue Loctite is recommended for added security.

The clasp is a sports style Oysterlock similar to the one used in the Explorer that is a clamshell design with a flip lock that keeps it securely shut.

Clasp closed and open

Within the clasp is the useful adjustment feature “Easylink” which is easily deployed for on the fly adjustment (+/- 5mm). If additional adjustment is needed, a micro adjustment system is hidden within the clasp and requires the use of a tool such as the Bergeon 7825 to make adjustments in increments of 3mm up to 9mm.

Easylink deployed, un-deployed and micro adjustment

Water resistance
The BLRO is water resistant to 100m/330ft or 10 bar which is more than adequate for a sports style watch.

Final remarks
Functionally, this is a capable timekeeper that will serve very well as daily timepiece but shines as a traveller’s wrist companion due to its ability to track multiple time zones with relative ease and with style.

Aesthetically, the watch captivates the eye with features that are well defined by the masterful combination of brushed and highly polished surfaces. This aspect, paired with the multifaceted nature of the jubilee bracelet results in a commanding presence as the watch captures light in a myriad display. Oh but it doesn’t stop there. The 1 - 2 punch is followed by a knockout blow as captive eyes are further subjected to the iconic red blue combo of the GMT bezel ensuring a wide smile as one glances for the time.

With regard to fit, the decision to pair the GMT Master II with a jubilee bracelet was much to the chagrin of proponents of the “tool watch ideal” but don’t be fooled. The jubilee may appear “fancy” but is assuredly as robust as it’s oyster counterpart with the added benefit of flexibility and comfort. Having worn the past iteration of the jubilee bracelet for years, I am certain that this is better designed and better built but it remains to be seen if it will withstand the test of time.

The BLRO is a true modern successor to the watch I grew up admiring as a child staring at my father’s collection. Alas, I cannot have the original as it has been inherited by another. Nevertheless, I am more than happy to make new memories with my own.

The “past” and the “present”

Superluminova and Chromalight
Wow, firstly I love how well done your review is. I do not think you missed a single aspect of that beautiful watch. I have been eyeing down a GMT lately especailly now that I can get a new one with either jubilee or oyster. Still undecided as I barely know much about the actual function of the watch. I saw this article on the GMT and learned quite a bit about how I can track the times zones although I do not see much use for myself.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ime-zones.html
"it was designed to help the company’s pilots stave off the worst effects of jetlag by allowing them to keep track of both GMT time (UTC) and the local time in their eventual destination." Although I do not see myself actually using these funcitons all that much I think the aesthetics behind this model would drive me to buy it all by itself. What are you thoughts on the funtions application to everyday use?
erinbeckerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 09:00 AM   #23
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbeckerton View Post
Wow, firstly I love how well done your review is. I do not think you missed a single aspect of that beautiful watch. I have been eyeing down a GMT lately especailly now that I can get a new one with either jubilee or oyster. Still undecided as I barely know much about the actual function of the watch. I saw this article on the GMT and learned quite a bit about how I can track the times zones although I do not see much use for myself.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ime-zones.html
"it was designed to help the company’s pilots stave off the worst effects of jetlag by allowing them to keep track of both GMT time (UTC) and the local time in their eventual destination." Although I do not see myself actually using these funcitons all that much I think the aesthetics behind this model would drive me to buy it all by itself. What are you thoughts on the funtions application to everyday use?

Thank you for your feedback!

For day to day use, the GMT function is useful if you have a need to track multiple time zones, need a makeshift compass, or live in an environment where you need to track day/ night.

I would have loved for this watch to have a 120 click bezel to be used as a timer. However as it is a GMT master, the 24 set positions of the bezel makes tracking other time zones a cinch.

Personally, I use it to keep track of PST, CST and GMT +8 as I have family members in Chicago and Hong Kong.
Old 30 April 2021, 08:08 PM   #24
wjed
Banned

Watch: Datejust
Great review. Thanks!
wjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 01:18 AM   #25
wjed
Banned

Watch: Datejust
Great review! Thank you
wjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 12:36 PM   #26
kg19989
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD 16600 Z Series
Awesome review. I was going to write one until I read yours. It would look like a 1st grader's next to an English professor's! Well done.
kg19989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 04:43 AM   #27
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg19989 View Post
Awesome review. I was going to write one until I read yours. It would look like a 1st grader's next to an English professor's! Well done.

Thank you. Im sure your composition will be fine.

You should write a review!!! It would be your thoughts on the watch and I and others would appreciate and enjoy reading it!
Old 5 June 2021, 11:16 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Just re-reading your review Nick. I keep posts like this in my favourites and come back to them from time to time.

I know how much time something like this takes to create. Really well done, thanks again
Old 11 June 2021, 01:54 PM   #29
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Just re-reading your review Nick. I keep posts like this in my favourites and come back to them from time to time.

I know how much time something like this takes to create. Really well done, thanks again

Thank you Brian! It feels good to know that this review has been helpful to some and an enjoyable read for others!
Old 25 April 2022, 10:26 PM   #30
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Excellent review. Reason this forum is great.