The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 February 2022, 05:07 AM   #1
Guppydriver
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
What % discount does Bell & Ross actually become an OK buy?

TL;DR
What kind of discount would you require to purchase a B&R (assuming there was a model you like?

First off ...

I've always been a "movement first" kind of guy. I have a humble collection, but almost all my pieces contain in house movements.

I do appreciate off the shelf movements and the art of independent design, but I think watches with base ETA or Sellita mechanics should be priced accordingly. A good example is my Longines Heritage Diver that I adore. I paid under 2K new from a dealer. Beautiful watch, fair price.

However, what I can't stand is when certain brands use base OTS movements in watches and price them well above comparable models with in house designed and manufactured movements. Usually I don't even bother to look at brands brands like this, but there is one exception...B & R.

I don't know why, perhaps it's the aviation theme, but a few of their pieces really speak to me. I don't want them to, but they do. Anyway, I tried on both a BR-05GMT and a BRV293 the other day and I loved how they fit and felt. I would love to buy one, but there is no way in hell I'm paying $5400 bucks for a movement I could find in a $800 watch, if nothing else, out of principle. I think the BRV293 retailed for like $3600 or something, slightly less offensive, but still silly to me. If these were more "Oris priced" (a brand i respect greatly), I think I would be all over it.

Anyway.... objective style aside (please no...I wouldn't but that POS for a penny posts), what discount do you guys/gals think would make a B & R purchase more easy to rationalize from a price/value standpoint? I'm really curious...
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:39 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Talk to the AD and see what's possible. Love my first-release BR03-92 with ETA movement, and have been torture testing it for over a decade. She's never been serviced and still keeps great time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 08:10 AM   #3
Guppydriver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Talk to the AD and see what's possible. Love my first-release BR03-92 with ETA movement, and have been torture testing it for over a decade. She's never been serviced and still keeps great time.

I'm afraid I'd be laughed out of the building...lol.

Knowing there are travellers GMT's out there for around 4K (BBGMT GS SBGM221), I would be probably need about 30% off to justify the movement.
I'm kind of holding out hope that Omega actually introduces a proper sport GMT that can't be substituted as a hockey puck, but I really like the B&R.
Old 11 February 2022, 10:13 AM   #4
rlj676
"TRF" Member

I think big discounts are possible. Have you checked what new go for on chrono24?

I’m of a similar mindset and would like one, but at a huge discount haha.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:17 PM   #5
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I don’t think anyone can put a hard number on it. I guess you’ll know the acceptable price when you can pay the money for the watch and still respect yourself in the morning.

Although I respect the hell out of in-house movements, I also see an ETA movement as a value add. It will save you a lot of money in servicing costs over the years.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 11:40 PM   #6
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I don’t think anyone can put a hard number on it. I guess you’ll know the acceptable price when you can pay the money for the watch and still respect yourself in the morning.

Although I respect the hell out of in-house movements, I also see an ETA movement as a value add. It will save you a lot of money in servicing costs over the years.
I agree. I have two Breitling's in my collection, both with ETA 2824-2 movements.
Both consistently run at + 1 to 2 spd. In time keeping, just as good as any of my Rolex,Omega, or Cartier. While I respect in house movements, and the time and resources involved in R&D, I do not shy away from a ETA, especially if it has been modified, as Breitling does.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 12:43 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
...but I really like the B&R.
Then you know what you should do.

If it is just the price, then guess you might be the type to value currency over love and enjoying life. Hope not, yet maybe this post is a bit of a 'wake up' call. Just get it and be happy.

But I'll warn you, some see the B&R within my collection and they... i don't care, as the BR03-92 is a truly fun piece! Remember, it's been over a decade of abuse here and is still going strong and keeping accurate time. In fact I'll wear it today just for you

Face.jpg

Lume.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12 February 2022, 04:23 AM   #8
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I’ve had a BR03-92 since 2012, my current one is the ceramic blue. They are fun and distinctive watches.

I’d recommend getting one on the second hand market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 08:37 AM   #9
Guppydriver
2024 Pledge Member

Great input, I appreciate it.

The more I think about it, the more I actually think I may look at gray. I’ve never purchased anything gray, but being that they have ETA movements than can be serviced affordably by pretty much anyone, even if something goes wrong and needs repaired, I still may come out ahead.

I think what I’m going to do is find the best secondary price I can find and then for kicks and giggles, head over to the dealer and let them know of my value concerns and see what they can do. If they can maybe meet me at gray plus a hundred or two dollars, I’ll think I buy from them, if not maybe I’ll try secondary. I’ve purchased multiple pieces from my dealer (Omega, GO, Seiko) so I think I have a little leverage for them to throw me a decent bone this time.
Old 12 February 2022, 09:05 AM   #10
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Great input, I appreciate it.

The more I think about it, the more I actually think I may look at gray. I’ve never purchased anything gray, but being that they have ETA movements than can be serviced affordably by pretty much anyone, even if something goes wrong and needs repaired, I still may come out ahead.

I think what I’m going to do is find the best secondary price I can find and then for kicks and giggles, head over to the dealer and let them know of my value concerns and see what they can do. If they can maybe meet me at gray plus a hundred or two dollars, I’ll think I buy from them, if not maybe I’ll try secondary. I’ve purchased multiple pieces from my dealer (Omega, GO, Seiko) so I think I have a little leverage for them to throw me a decent bone this time.
Exactly what I’d do.

I did find the gray price on what I was eyeing (ceramic diver br03 92) was no discount at all… but that is a limited piece I guess. I’ve seen great deals on other models.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 08:27 AM   #11
carfanatic991
"TRF" Member

On my family’s recent trip to Paris. Picked up BR-05(time and date only) at an AD for 30% off. My collection only consist of Rolex and Tudor, thought I’d get something different and French as a memento for a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carfanatic991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:06 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!