The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2021, 11:28 PM   #1
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Honest question - why buy at boutique versus AD?

If you're one of the people who prefer boutiques over ADs - Something I have always wondered - why? I certainly understand an AD over gray for warranty, peace of mind, etc. - but with an AD offering the watch right in person as well, including full warranty - plus a discount that is almost always in the 4 figures, why would you pay the thousand(s) extra for boutique experience?

I get the boutiques are (usually) nice - but so are nicer jewelry store ADs. I've been to the flagship Madison Ave boutique many times and am always treated great, free drinks, etc. - so you can get the "boutique experience" without paying thousands more. I could buy a brand new B at my local AD, still get treated very well, drinks, etc. - and use the thousands for a trip to NYC and experience the boutique too.

Am I crazy?
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 02:07 AM   #2
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
having never bought at a boutique, i have heard it's because you get "perks"
which definitely wouldn't do it for me
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 10:46 PM   #3
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Before Georges Kern took over at Breitling the boutique experience was extremely different here in the States. When I first started buying watches at the boutique I was granted access to certain numbers when watches were Limited Editions. I have several watches that are the actual #1/xxxx. Pretty neat if you are into specific numbes.If I do not think that you would have as much access to that if you went to an AD. After purchasing a few watches at the boutique I was invited to fly with the Breitling Jet Team when they toured the States back in 2015/2016. It was a wonderful experience that I would have never been able to experience otherwise. Breitling also provided a trip to the Reno Air Races for my wife and I back when Breitling used to sponsor the event. I have been invited to many local events and have had the opportunity to meet and converse with numerous "celebrities".

Recently, Breitling has cut back on these types of promotions as Kerns goes with his "squads" to promote the watches. As per Kerns, actual numbered Limited Editions are too much of a hassle and will no longer be offered. Going forward, I think that you would be able to do much better visiting an AD when it is time to buy, or better yet, buy pre-owned!!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 10:52 PM   #4
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Boutiques especially Breitling and Omega don’t offer discounts. They never have in my experience. I can’t speak for the whole country just for the boutiques in Florida. Now not getting a discount may not be a big deal to some people especially those that would pay $70,000 for a 5711 but for me paying $6800 for a full retail $10,000 watch is nice. That can only be done at an AD.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 11:20 PM   #5
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Honest question - why buy at boutique versus AD?

I think the allure of a boutique is the hope of dealing with better-trained sales reps. Also, post-sale attention if one needs it.

Perhaps a little edge on getting the next “hard to get” watch in the brand’s line-up, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 02:22 AM   #6
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Never purchased at Boutique, as there is no discount, and a few trinkets will not entice me to pay MSRP when you can get 20 to 25% off at AD. AD and Breitling do send me swag after the purchase anyway.

Rolex is different story, as I am happy to pay MSRP for my desired reference, since in recent years, there is no discount. I thoroughly trust both my Rolex and Breitling AD's, and have been treated fairly.

Except for a few vintage date just's that I bought from a neighbor, I only buy from AD, never from grey market sellers. No offense to anyone who does, but I refuse to play that game.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 03:10 AM   #7
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Sometimes the boutique limited editions are not readily available at AD's nor other limited editions like the Heritage '57 Rainbow 1 and II limited to 250 and 1,000 respectively. Sometimes it is just timing in that newer models might first be available at a Boutique. For general models though, there is no real difference between the two other than price which others have mentioned where discounts are more readily available at ADs.
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:34 AM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Maybe my opinion is aggressive, but boutiques exist mostly for advertising/brand awareness and to capture low hanging fruit; people who do not know any better. The whole purpose of a boutique of any brand is to show off brand image, have a presence in a city, and use both of those factors to get people excited about a model and pay full price for it.

Let’s be honest, most people with disposable income who decide one day that they want to buy a Breitling don’t know that discounts exist or which ADs carry their models. If they want a Navitimer, they look for the “Breitling store.” They walk in, see all the aviation gear, see a few celebrities wearing Breitlings, and then pick one out of the display. Since there’s no scarcity for Breitling, surely every model is available at any given time. The boutique then gives them something to drink, a hat, they feel special.

Most of us, serious collectors who purchased their first luxury watch years ago, are over this. In fact, being treated this way might make me cringe a little. I once walked into an Omega boutique and got a lecture about James Bond for 5 minutes because I was looking at a Seamaster for a second. Serious collectors don’t care about this sort of thing. Most people don’t know that Rolex makes models other than a Submariner.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 07:42 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

To get a $20 hat included.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 01:56 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Well, I have never been to a boutique and I am not into "LE's" either.
Heck - one look at how I dress and they would likely lock the door in front of me. Heh.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 02:50 AM   #11
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I always buy Breitling at my local AD. I get substantial discounts and great service. I sometimes trade watches and my AD treats me very well in that aspect. Don't think I can get that at a Boutique. But must confess, I've never been to one.
In fact I'm headed there today to finally perge my collection of Rolex and Tudor pieces.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:40 PM   #12
aff1
Banned

While the AD offers discounts and all, I think the boutique offers expertise and an opportunity to get a new piece earlier than others.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:29 PM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like Breitlings and I own one but I'd be aiming for 40% off MSRP to pull the trigger on one of the more popular models and more for a less popular model, so that would mean grey or a willing AD. I wouldn't mind a hat, though.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:00 PM   #14
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

you can get 40% off at a dealer?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 12:19 AM   #15
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Breitling boutiques are for the uneducated consumer. No way would anyone pay full retail; for a breitling. I have had 3 purchased at discount and sold 2 and took a bath selling those.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 01:17 AM   #16
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
you can get 40% off at a dealer?
I routinely get a discount on any Breitling from my local AD. It's not 40% though.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 01:34 PM   #17
Talbel
"TRF" Member

I guess every experience is different. I just bought a Navitimer Rattrapante at a Breitling boutique. Great service from a very knowledgeable sales person, a pretty solid selection of watches and a nice discount. All in all, a great experience.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 12:07 PM   #18
amindu
"TRF" Member

Are you allowed to disclose ADs here? I am in the market for a ice blue NAVITIMER B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 and would like to get it from one that offers upto 40% off? Thanks
amindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 02:01 PM   #19
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by amindu View Post
Are you allowed to disclose ADs here? I am in the market for a ice blue NAVITIMER B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 and would like to get it from one that offers upto 40% off? Thanks
I doubt anyone is getting 40% off at an AD. 20 - 25% is more the norm. I like Saltzman's in Newport RI. Fair discounts, and if you don't live in RI, no sales tax.
Good luck
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:56 AM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

No one gets 40% off a Breitling from an AD and certainly not at a boutique for a current production model. High end of normal is going to be 25%. You may be able to get north of that from an AD that is looking to liquidate the new discontinued Navitimers that they have in stock. I have seen 40% off new old stock Breitlings at ADs (but these are mostly cheaper or less desirable models). I got a Navitimer Chrono-Matic that had been sitting in a safe somewhere since 2008, had been serviced recently, and given brand new papers and warranty certified by Breitling as "new old stock" for a fraction of what it cost at MSRP. Granted, this was an unpopular model even during its production. I bought it because the price was almost a no-brainer and I wanted something retro in my collection.

If it's not a rush, there will be flood of these new Navitimers into the grey market by summer at around 6kish used. I personally think they are significantly overpriced at MSRP. Breitling wants almost 10k for stainless steel.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 06:06 AM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Breitling boutiques are for the uneducated consumer. No way would anyone pay full retail; for a breitling. I have had 3 purchased at discount and sold 2 and took a bath selling those.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 07:11 AM   #22
isgrb
"TRF" Member

I just bought a barely used, second-hand Super Chronomat and am really loving it so far. So much so that I’ve been eyeing other models to add to the collection so the typical discount stats with ADs has been helpful to read through. Sounds like the discounts Omega used to give.

I’m a regular buyer at my AD but have never bought a Breitling there before, will shoot for 25%.
isgrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 04:59 PM   #23
ertihan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
Before Georges Kern took over at Breitling the boutique experience was extremely different here in the States. When I first started buying watches at the boutique I was granted access to certain numbers when watches were Limited Editions. I have several watches that are the actual #1/xxxx. Pretty neat if you are into specific numbes.If I do not think that you would have as much access to that if you went to an AD. After purchasing a few watches at the boutique I was invited to fly with the Breitling Jet Team when they toured the States back in 2015/2016. It was a wonderful experience that I would have never been able to experience otherwise. Breitling also provided a trip to the Reno Air Races for my wife and I back when Breitling used to sponsor the event. I have been invited to many local events and have had the opportunity to meet and converse with numerous "celebrities".

Recently, Breitling has cut back on these types of promotions as Kerns goes with his "squads" to promote the watches. As per Kerns, actual numbered Limited Editions are too much of a hassle and will no longer be offered. Going forward, I think that you would be able to do much better visiting an AD when it is time to buy, or better yet, buy pre-owned!!
Oh man! I really wish I was around when that cool stuff was going on! Yeah, nowadays you mostly just get some free gifts like a hat or a t-shirt or sometimes something pretty cool like a bomber jacket or a watch roll. But I've never really heard of any events at the boutique which is a huge shame. I would have loved to go to those!

I suppose in the end, I started my Breitling journey at a boutique so I just kinda... kept going? I guess I COULD shift over to an AD but I'm lazy and besides, I kinda like it there. The staff is super chill and they all know me now so I kinda like going just to sort of hang out.

And while I'm not super sold on the whole "squad" thing, I do think Kerns is doing good work, especially with the new Navitimers and Premiers. They're going overall in a good direction, but I'd love to get some of those events back!
ertihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 12:04 PM   #24
ColtFletcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 3729/1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I routinely get a discount on any Breitling from my local AD. It's not 40% though.
My last two AD Breitling purchases were 35% off list, but that was 5-6 years ago.