The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 May 2022, 07:20 AM   #1
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

P.9010 vs. P.900

As a new guy to the brand, which would be the superior movement? Both seem widely used. Read the Perezscope blog and it appears the P.900 is based on the Cartier 1847MC, not sure about the other?
GMT_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 07:41 PM   #2
pereztroika
"TRF" Member

Both calibers are ValFleurier creations but the P.9010 is exclusive to Panerai. The P.900 on the other hand is a downgraded version of Baume & Mercier's "Baumatic" which in turn is based on Cartier's 1847MC. The P.900 has only three days of power reserve whereas the "Baumatic" has five. The Panerai version has now been further downgraded by removing the hacking seconds mechanism and any discernbile finishing.

There seems to be a push within Richemont to use the "Baumatic" in as many of their brands/watches as possible. The caliber is basically Richemont's very own ETA automatic movement.

Cheers
Jose

Instagram: @perezcope
pereztroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:03 PM   #3
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pereztroika View Post
Both calibers are ValFleurier creations but the P.9010 is exclusive to Panerai. The P.900 on the other hand is a downgraded version of Baume & Mercier's "Baumatic" which in turn is based on Cartier's 1847MC. The P.900 has only three days of power reserve whereas the "Baumatic" has five. The Panerai version has now been further downgraded by removing the hacking seconds mechanism and any discernbile finishing.

There seems to be a push within Richemont to use the "Baumatic" in as many of their brands/watches as possible. The caliber is basically Richemont's very own ETA automatic movement.

Cheers
Jose
Man on a mission
Old 5 May 2022, 03:44 AM   #4
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

Thanks Jose! So I take it would the P.900 be more of an entry level movement compared to the P.9010 then?
Old 5 May 2022, 08:53 AM   #5
pereztroika
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT_lover View Post
Thanks Jose! So I take it would the P.900 be more of an entry level movement compared to the P.9010 then?
Absolutely. The P.900, or OPXXXIV as it was called before, was initially only used in 38mm Luminor Due dress watches. Now they are using it even in 44mm Submersibles. Keep in mind the 44mm Luminor has the P.9010 instead. The direction is imo very clear. The P.900 could replace the P.9010 completely at some point.

Cheers
Jose

Instagram: @perezcope
pereztroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 12:23 PM   #6
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely. The P.900, or OPXXXIV as it was called before, was initially only used in 38mm Luminor Due dress watches. Now they are using it even in 44mm Submersibles. Keep in mind the 44mm Luminor has the P.9010 instead. The direction is imo very clear. The P.900 could replace the P.9010 completely at some point.

Cheers
Jose
Appreciate the help. Considering the new green submersible so good to know. Had a Santos with the 1847MC.
I have a watch on order (PAM01298) with the P.9100, is this subject to the same downgrades of the P.9010? Seems like an interesting movement to me with center seconds and center jumping minute for the chronograph.
Old 1 July 2022, 09:14 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Cheers
Jose
Your article was very good, thank you for the information
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 08:49 AM   #8
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
I think you meant to say the Baumatic/P900 has 3 day PR ... same as the P9010

The P900 is what you will find in the 1074 Bronze Sub, which is a request/attempt to offer a smaller bronze to Panerai buyers ... the P9010 is what you will find in the 47mm blue dial 671 (which is the last of the special editions bronzo subs ... so far) and the next bronze 47mm model is the 968 with the ceramic bezel and will still come with the P9010, hacking or not .. who cares? Who in our modern times really needs hacking or date in a watch that is made to be underwater??? Like why the date window in the Deepsea if you are not going to put a cyclops on that DW??? ... that little date windows just looks anemic!

Anyhow ... hope this clarifies a bit. As to which movement is best??? .. Well, sometimes it's not that easy to judge ... it's not about whether a movement is made by someone else vs the brand. In the early days, Panerai used movements from JLC and Zenith ... which one can argue are superior in craftsmanship to their in-house movements. So, I would say the P900 with Baume ebauches are as good as Panerai inhouse P9010 ... give or take a ruby here and there ;)

Quote:

Cheers
Jose
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 02:25 PM   #9
Trenden
"TRF" Member

I have the new eSteel 44mm submersible with the P900 movement and when I pull out the crown and move the time backwards a little the small second hand stops. I checked and others have confirmed this is normal for the P900 movement. Thus...it's easy to set the time precisely.

I'll also note that I have a 15 year old 111 that does not hack and I never really missed the feature. Still love the watch and wear it a lot.
Trenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 02:00 AM   #10
Foxiness
"TRF" Member

jeez.. a sub $1k Tissot even hacks and has better finishing on the movement
Foxiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:06 AM   #11
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Having owned various Panerai's over the years, I can tell you that they aren't known for their movements!! I had a PAM312 with display caseback and in-house P.9000 movement, and it really wasn't all that spectacular in terms of performance or to look at!!

Having said this, there is a deliberate push to "downgrade" their movements by reducing the movement finishing and removing the hacking seconds (this I truly am pissed at, and will get back to in a min). If I had to guess, this is likely what is leading to the solid casebacks in many of these watches.

About the hacking seconds, I am currently a PAM1313 owner and thinking of getting a Submersible 683 - so going from a P.9010 to P.900. I am most annoyed at my current watches lack of hacking seconds. In most YouTube videos for the Submersible 683, I see that the seconds are hacking.... but then when reading about the P.900 movement, folks make note that it is not.

So does anyone know for sure?? This is an important point for me as lack of hacking seconds is annoying AF!!!! So before I purchase, thought I would get folks' input. Thanks
paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:04 PM   #12
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Makes me laugh that some WIS here are throwing a hissy fit at hacking seconds when the vast majority of Panerais don't even have a minute track on the dial.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 08:27 PM   #13
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Which translates to the fact you can only set your watch every 5 Min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote