The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2022, 06:34 AM   #1
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

What "upgrade" is Breitling USA doing?

I sent my Breitling in for service back in March. It was supposed to be returned to me on May 16 according to their scheduled. When I didn't hear from them I sent an email asking how my servicing was coming along. They did get back to be quickly and said; "Starting tomorrow we will be conducting a system upgrade until June 7th. During that time, we will not be shipping any product out."

I got that on the 17th so starting today they aren't shipping any serviced watches for three weeks. Does anyone know what they are doing in the Connecticut facility? I miss my watch.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:41 PM   #2
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

My watch came yesterday, it must have just made the cut off. It looks good and they gave me a polishing cloth. I'm not at all happy with the timing. It was running 2 seconds fast when I sent it in. It now runs 10 seconds slow. As a certified chronometer 3 seconds slow is the limit.
I'll contact them Monday and ask for a shipping label to send it back for a proper timing.

The watch had a MSRP of $7,100 plus tax. I paid $800 with tax and shipping for a complete service. The only parts replaced were the gaskets and bezel spring. If this was a mechanical Timex I would be fine with 10 seconds a day slow.

Breitling is supposed to be a high precision Swiss Watch; so 10 seconds is 233% off from being high precision by Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres standards. If Breitling wants to be on par with the big boys they must do better. I have a 50 year old Day Date that hasn't been serviced in 12 years and it runs 2 seconds slow, it needs a cleaning.
Old 22 May 2022, 11:53 PM   #3
B01fan
"TRF" Member

I would not send in a watch that was running +2 a day unless there were other issues.
B01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 06:08 AM   #4
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B01fan View Post
I would not send in a watch that was running +2 a day unless there were other issues.
It had other issues. The bezel took so much torque to turn I could not move it more than a few degrees. Manually winding the watch required so much torque it was giving me blisters. I'm surprised I didn't break something. They replaced the bezel spring and gaskets, those were the only parts replaced.
The bezel and manual winding are now smooth and my fingers don't hurt. I had the watch for about 10 years.

I'm going to take all my watches to the watchmaker who serviced my Day Date. He was recommended by Rolex when they told me they would charge more to service my old Day Date than a new one would cost. He has a passion for watchmaking, he told me he could make parts for watches if them become unavailable. 12 years ago he charged me $250 including tax. I'll bet he can do a complete service in an hour with his eyes closed.
Old 23 May 2022, 11:26 AM   #5
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
In my situation I send them my watch back in February and they told me that service time will be in around 2 months. But I received my watch back at the beginning of May and they told me that delay was because of covid.
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 02:53 PM   #6
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post
..they told me that delay was because of covid.
Covid is the catch all for most of the problems, Putin is the cause of the rest.

They told me two months and that's when I got it back. I wish they took another day to time it better. Except for the timing they did an OK job.

What was the timing on your watch when you got it back?
Attached Images
File Type: gif IMG_18803.gif (215.4 KB, 696 views)
Old 3 June 2022, 11:08 AM   #7
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Breitling is a scam beware. I should have known they were less then honest when they said my watch had a dent in the bezel; a dent in a rubber bezel.
They will not time it to the standard that the label on the dial proclaims. It kept better time before I sent it in. I will only use local independent watchmakers going forward.

I should have read the reviews before I over paid for a poor quality repair. I consider myself lucky, my watch is working and keeping time. Keeping time like a $60 Invicta.
Old 3 June 2022, 12:20 PM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Im sorry your are having that experience. I have owned 2 breitlings, one for about 15 years and the other for 2. They had the ETA movements and ran like +3-5 per day max. My bother had a few breitlings as well and never had any issue. I have found them to be as reliable as any of my rolex or omega watches.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 02:17 PM   #9
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

The watch is OK, it was running two seconds fast when I sent it in for servicing. The bezel would not rotate and manual winding was broken. Those problems were fixed but it now runs 10 seconds slow. As one can see in my picture the second hand on of the chronometer does not line up with the 12.

For $800 I expect the watch to be like new when I get it back. I should have read the reviews about factory repair.
Old 8 June 2022, 01:33 AM   #10
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

The play is under revue.

I just received a return shipping label from Breitling. They may make it right. If so I will be a fan boy again.
Old 26 August 2022, 02:38 AM   #11
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

After 1/2 a year and two trips to Breitling my watch has finally been serviced to Swiss chronometer standards. They did a complete service again; this time replacing the chronograph's second hand. At rest it points to 12:00 o'clock.
Old 26 August 2022, 05:03 AM   #12
JRedford
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a clown show, perhaps George Kern should focus his efforts here.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
JRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 02:14 PM   #13
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRedford View Post
Sounds like a clown show, perhaps George Kern should focus his efforts here.
From reviews I have read about that facility I'm lucky it only cost more time and effort than it should have.

The watch was finally serviced properly and is back where it belongs. I can condone the expense, $850 for a service no extra parts. I cannot condone it coming back running 10 seconds slow and the chronograph second hand pointing a second past 12.

If the watch was serviced the first time like they did the second time I would give them a glowing review. I would now suggest caution before anyone sends their Breitling to Connecticut for servicing.

The watch is a very good watch, the problem is in Connecticut.