The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2010, 05:38 AM   #1
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
New MacBook Air Models

The apple event, "Back to the Mac," introduced 2 new Macbook air models an 11.6 and 13.3 with basically the internals of the iPad. My issue with my Macbook Air was the 2 plastic hinges. My MBA hinges broke and eventually broke my MBA in half! A known design flaw. So, both new models are completely unibody including the hinges. Will any of u guys be getting the newly designed Air? Btw Did apple say the net book made no sense? Why an 11.6 MBA for $999?
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 05:50 AM   #2
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
funny how steve jobs said before that netbooks are just cheap laptops and are not good for anything. now comes the new mba. lol

price is definitely better. now i'm debating for the iPad or this. i think i would wait for a front facing camera on the new version of iPad next year. but then again the galaxy tab is coming out on 11/11. there's going to be a lot of tablets this year. great for consumers.
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Interesting.

I'm still glad I went with the Lenovo X301 (that is now discontinued, but can be had via. E-bay, Lenovo's Outlet, etc.).
The X301 is SUPER thin, plus it has 3 USB ports, 128GB SSD HD, battery that lasts 8+ hours, and a DVD/CD drive to boot. It has a 13.3" screen as well.
True, it doesn't look as good as the MBA, but it can do more IMO.

IMO, I'd get an iPad before I'd get a new MBA.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
At $999, the 11" is the same price as an ipad with a few accessories like keyboard, case and stand. Not sure why anyone would choose the ipad.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 06:51 AM   #5
mach330
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
At $999, the 11" is the same price as an ipad with a few accessories like keyboard, case and stand. Not sure why anyone would choose the ipad.
wifi iPad with 64G is $699 so not quite the same price. if you only use it for internet, not sure if the mba is worth the price for me.
Old 22 October 2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
wifi iPad with 64G is $699 so not quite the same price. if you only use it for internet, not sure if the mba is worth the price for me.
Wifi+3G is $829, then add a KB, case, stand.
Old 22 October 2010, 07:04 AM   #7
mach330
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wifi+3G is $829, then add a KB, case, stand.
mba can't do 3g tho. so apples and oranges. that and like i said. if you only want to use it for surfing. i don't need a kb or any of that other stuff. i do like the front camera of mba.

i do agree. i would rather get a regular macbook than pay $1K for a surfing device.
Old 22 October 2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Mac-Apple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
I had the first gen Air , and it was the biggest waste of 1600$ , I have the unibody Macbook pro 13.3 ,and couldn't be happier. The air is super overpriced.
Mac-Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 07:06 AM   #9
mach330
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Apple View Post
I had the first gen Air , and it was the biggest waste of 1600$ , I have the unibody Macbook pro 13.3 ,and couldn't be happier. The air is super overpriced.
was the original mba 64G too? so now that it's $1K. do you still think it's overpriced?
Old 22 October 2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
mba can't do 3g tho. so apples and oranges. that and like i said. if you only want to use it for surfing. i don't need a kb or any of that other stuff. i do like the front camera of mba.

i do agree. i would rather get a regular macbook than pay $1K for a surfing device.
But I can use Bluetooth or USB to tether it with my 3G cell phone (without a pay-as-you-go data plan separate from my phone), which everyone already has, so back to apples and apples.
Old 22 October 2010, 07:58 AM   #11
mach330
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But I can use Bluetooth or USB to tether it with my 3G cell phone (without a pay-as-you-go data plan separate from my phone), which everyone already has, so back to apples and apples.
that's why i would say you're still comparing to iPad wifi. I can do the same with my phone to tether wifi iPad same as you're doing to any laptop. i don't need a 3G iPad for comparison.
Old 22 October 2010, 08:07 AM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

I have the previous 13.3" screen Macbook Air and it is just awesome.
I'm very surprised that the new 13.3" model has the identical processor (2.13Ghz) as my model that is almost a year old.
Thus there is no reason I can see to want to upgrade.

P.S. I just got the new (yet to be released) Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and am very impressed.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 08:36 AM   #13
mikey
"TRF" Member

Some people don't know they can tether their (any) smartphone data signal to the WiFi only iPad model and actually save $. My ipad solution was the Bluetooth apple keyboard that is perfect for the iPad. No plastic hinges to worry about anymore.
Old 22 October 2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Mac-Apple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
Quote:
was the original mba 64G too? so now that it's $1K. do you still think it's overpriced?
To my recollection , it was 80 gb. The macbook pro can be had for 1099 when on sale at best buy. I don't see anything special about the Air other than it being thin. The MBA is not worth it in my opinion.
Mac-Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2010, 09:31 AM   #15
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that's why i would say you're still comparing to iPad wifi. I can do the same with my phone to tether wifi iPad same as you're doing to any laptop. i don't need a 3G iPad for comparison.
Good point. I would buy neither.
Old 22 October 2010, 09:47 AM   #16
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
I was thinking about iPad after wifey got one last May, but I have to admit that the 11in air looks as a very tempting option
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 12:53 AM   #17
smartson
"TRF" Member

I have a first gen MBA for over 2 years and it serves brilliantly as a laptop, except for a not so brilliantly battery life. Have been thinking about getting iPad as a travel companion, but I know I won't leave home without the MBA so I dropped the iPad idea. Besides, I like comfortably resting the MBA on the lap to read, rather than holding the iPad with a tired wrist.

With improved battery, the new MBA will be my upgrade path.
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 01:48 AM   #18
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

I really dislike Apple on so many levels that I refuse to buy any products...I own 2 ipods both of which were gifts
neillfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 02:05 AM   #19
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfrith View Post
I really dislike Apple on so many levels that I refuse to buy any products...I own 2 ipods both of which were gifts
Care to elaborate a little ?

While I don't own ANY Apple products (just my iPhone 4), lately I have been seriously considering replacing all of my PC's at home with Macbooks.
Something about the way the OS is compared with vista and 7.
Old 23 October 2010, 02:29 AM   #20
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Care to elaborate a little ?

While I don't own ANY Apple products (just my iPhone 4), lately I have been seriously considering replacing all of my PC's at home with Macbooks.
Something about the way the OS is compared with vista and 7.
With the handheld devices I hate the insane levels of control they put on them, first they overcharge you for the equipment and then they tell you how to use it. It's my phone/mp3 player/tablet let me use it how I want!!! The fact that you can only get apps from one place gets on my nerves, at least with android you have choice.

I'm in the IT hardware business and I know the base cost of the equipment and they massively over price but their marketing teams have done such a good job at brainwashing people that they think an 11" computer with only 1 USB port is actually worth $1000 whereas other manufacturers are charging $400+ for practically the same hardware (just a little fatter ), they even got people believing that a phone that can't multitask is better than one that does and when they made a phone incompatible with peoples' hands it was their fault for having hands. Neither my BlackBerry or my Android need a rubber band round the edgeto work

Don't get me wrong their kit looks nice but I can't see the value for money in the aesthetics.

The OS is very good but it's based on Unix which is what Linux is based on and you can get better software completely free of charge on the internet (Ubuntu or other flavours of Linux are distributed free of charge), you can even skin it so it looks EXACTLY like the Mac OS if you don't like the already very pleasing skin.

I won't even start on Steve Jobs thinly veiled attacks on his competitors

As you can imagine I could go on and bore everyone for hours on this so I'll stop now before I get myself worked up and turn into a WB cartoon with steam coming out of my ears.

Sorry for the essay
neillfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 04:48 AM   #21
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 23 October 2010, 05:04 AM   #22
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With the handheld devices I hate the insane levels of control they put on them, first they overcharge you for the equipment and then they tell you how to use it. It's my phone/mp3 player/tablet let me use it how I want!!! The fact that you can only get apps from one place gets on my nerves, at least with android you have choice.

I'm in the IT hardware business and I know the base cost of the equipment and they massively over price but their marketing teams have done such a good job at brainwashing people that they think an 11" computer with only 1 USB port is actually worth $1000 whereas other manufacturers are charging $400+ for practically the same hardware (just a little fatter ), they even got people believing that a phone that can't multitask is better than one that does and when they made a phone incompatible with peoples' hands it was their fault for having hands. Neither my BlackBerry or my Android need a rubber band round the edgeto work

Don't get me wrong their kit looks nice but I can't see the value for money in the aesthetics.

The OS is very good but it's based on Unix which is what Linux is based on and you can get better software completely free of charge on the internet (Ubuntu or other flavours of Linux are distributed free of charge), you can even skin it so it looks EXACTLY like the Mac OS if you don't like the already very pleasing skin.

I won't even start on Steve Jobs thinly veiled attacks on his competitors

As you can imagine I could go on and bore everyone for hours on this so I'll stop now before I get myself worked up and turn into a WB cartoon with steam coming out of my ears.

Sorry for the essay
Ok, you've made some good points
Old 23 October 2010, 06:02 AM   #23
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I think it looked pretty good, might get one as a "second" computer... Or just get an iPad when that comes out here in Finland... Damn component shortage!!!
Old 23 October 2010, 11:06 AM   #24
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Im sooooo close buying a Mac PC i5.....but im just scared that after couple of months something will come out at a cheaper price...
Old 23 October 2010, 11:32 AM   #25
mikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
Im sooooo close buying a Mac PC i5.....but im just scared that after couple of months something will come out at a cheaper price...
Cheaper price with Apple? You mean 2X the price. Snow Leopard 10.6 came out last year at $29 and now iLife 11 is $49
Old 24 October 2010, 12:37 PM   #26
prc117f

Quote:
Portability etc. I really like my 64GB 3G model and not having to carry an annoying laptop makes it worth it. I do not take a keyboard or stand though, just the case and ipad.

It is a quality item, I do my main work on a Mac Pro tower :) I can never go back to PCs and windows. Apple stuff is real nice OS X etc.. fit and finish. (ie open up the inside of a Mac Pro vs a PC)
prc117f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 12:41 PM   #27
prc117f

Quote:
funny how steve jobs said before that netbooks are just cheap laptops and are not good for anything. now comes the new mba. lol

price is definitely better. now i'm debating for the iPad or this. i think i would wait for a front facing camera on the new version of iPad next year. but then again the galaxy tab is coming out on 11/11. there's going to be a lot of tablets this year. great for consumers.
netbooks had horrid low quality screens, poor performance,components etc. you cannot compare the new macbook air to one of those bogstandard netbooks.

Although I do not have a use for a Macbook Air it is a nice laptop for those who have a use for one.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:53 PM   #28
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
I don't have crystal ball, but based on pricing history, Apple held its product price much firmer than other tech maker (could be good or bad, depending on how you see it). Before I brought my dual core iMac last year, I waited 8 months for price drop at every Apple release. They didn't and I couldn't wait any more. Even if I wait till now, the price would not have changed much.

In terms of price, a Mac can be more expensive when there are many low end PCs around. But when you compare a Mac to a quality made PC, one with high end display, top quality keyboard & mouse, the price difference becomes smaller. I am a cheap guy and started using PC since my past life, I still think the Mac worth it. Of course things may change when Apple becomes evil, like many other giant corps....my 2 cents.
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2010, 12:57 PM   #29
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Having NEVER used a Mac. OS before, I cannot say if it is in fact better than Windows. I'm afraid if I go to my local Apple store and play around with a MacBook Pro, I may want one :) :)
Old 24 October 2010, 01:04 PM   #30
prc117f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Having NEVER used a Mac. OS before, I cannot say if it is in fact better than Windows. I'm afraid if I go to my local Apple store and play around with a MacBook Pro, I may want one :) :)
I have used windows since they shipped in two version (386 and 286 editions) :)

I switched in 2006 and never looked back. It is much better than windows, even Windows 7. Once you go Mac you never go back. My advice is to just take the plunge and go for it. Life is too short to mess with windows and (Dell/HP etc..)