The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 January 2020, 09:29 AM   #1
watchknut
Banned

Holy Moly this 6542 is Hot!

Finally got around to testing the 6542...

Pretty hot.

Anyone else have similar readings?
watchknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
That level of radiation is actually harmful if you’re wearing it 8 hours a day.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 09:50 AM   #3
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Yeah.. They are hot.

Every geiger is different though.

Old 11 January 2020, 09:51 AM   #4
watchknut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Yeah.. They are hot.

A buddy shared his and it was 172! I really wonder on the readings...seems crazy for them to be all over the board.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11 January 2020, 01:35 PM   #5
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Holy Moly this 6542 is Hot!

As a Navy Nuke, I had not heard of Sv, but I know rem, so I looked it up and 1 rem = 100 Sv

Doing the math:

119uSv/hr = 1.19urem/hr

An average person in the US receives around 1rem/3yrs or 333mrem/yr

There are approximately 8766 hrs/yr

1.19urem/hr x 8766hr/yr = 10,432urem/yr, which is only 10.4mrem/yr or 3.1% of the average American’s average radiation exposure per year.

Bottom line - radiation from these watches are almost background noise and nothing to be concerned with.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), which sets the safety limits for radiation workers, allows up to 5 REM per year (10 CFR Part 20). That’s 15 times higher than the average American.

Those government limits are for whole body radiation, which the watch does not give, but even if it were to be whole body equivalent, 119uSv/hr worn 24/7/365 (never removed) would only deliver 0.2% of the federally mandated radiation exposure limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 02:18 PM   #6
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchknut View Post
A buddy shared his and it was 172! I really wonder on the readings...seems crazy for them to be all over the board.

Thanks for sharing.

If you live at sea level and your buddy lives in Denver, that could account for reading disparities.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 02:36 PM   #7
watchknut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
As a Navy Nuke, I had not heard of Sv, but I know rem, so I looked it up and 1 rem = 100 Sv

Doing the math:

119uSv/hr = 1.19urem/hr

1.19urem/hr x 8766hr/yr = 10,432urem/yr, which is only 10.4mrem/yr or 3.1% of the average American’s average radiation exposure per year.

Bottom line - radiation from these watches are almost background noise and nothing to be concerned with.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), which sets the safety limits for radiation workers, allows up to 5 REM per year (10 CFR Part 20). That’s 15 times higher than the average American.

Those government limits are for whole body radiation, which the watch does not give, but even if it were to be whole body equivalent, 119uSv/hr worn 24/7/365 (never removed) would only deliver 0.2% of the federally mandated radiation exposure limit.

Thank you for mathematical explanation...I am not gifted in that area, so your insight is greatly appreciated.

I feel much better now...I was honestly a bit concerned as I was unsure what to think.
Old 11 January 2020, 03:29 PM   #8
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post

Doing the math:

119uSv/hr = 1.19urem/hr

No. 1 rem is 0.01 Sv. Thus 119 uSv/hr is 0.0119 rem/hr. Thus in 8776 hours you’re getting 104 rem, although realistically it would probably be 1/3 that if you wear it 8 hours a day 365 days a week. So let's say 33 rem. That would be 100x the average person and 6x the NRC safety limit.

However, I would argue that since the watch is concentrated on the arm, that would be more dangerous than whole body. Your arm is being bombarded with the radiation. I’m not saying watchknut will have a tumor tomorrow (especially since his is only 42 uSv/hr) but I would be very wary of wearing the watch frequently. You’re basically getting 100x the dose an average person gets, while also being concentrated on the arm. There’s a reason why the bakelites got recalled....

Further information, from wikipedia, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...chart-XKCD.svg

As you can see maximum dose for radiation workers is 50 mSv. If you wear your watch @ 119 uSv/hr you would reach that dose in 420 hours. In 8 hour blocks thats approximately 52 days.

Watchknut I follow you on instagram and know that you have a varied rotation so I think you'll be okay.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 05:57 PM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Unfortunately, Frank's calculations are correct, and I don't think you can write off the exposure as negligible. I am not someone who over-reacts to things like this, but it may be worth limiting the wrist time of that watch (e.g. a few times a month), especially if you have any known risk factors or family history.
Old 11 January 2020, 07:17 PM   #10
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Wow, these watches are dangerous... better just send them all to me!
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 07:55 PM   #11
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
No. 1 rem is 0.01 Sv. Thus 119 uSv/hr is 0.0119 rem/hr. Thus in 8776 hours you’re getting 104 rem, although realistically it would probably be 1/3 that if you wear it 8 hours a day 365 days a week. So let's say 33 rem. That would be 100x the average person and 6x the NRC safety limit.

However, I would argue that since the watch is concentrated on the arm, that would be more dangerous than whole body. Your arm is being bombarded with the radiation. I’m not saying watchknut will have a tumor tomorrow (especially since his is only 42 uSv/hr) but I would be very wary of wearing the watch frequently. You’re basically getting 100x the dose an average person gets, while also being concentrated on the arm. There’s a reason why the bakelites got recalled....

Further information, from wikipedia, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...chart-XKCD.svg

As you can see maximum dose for radiation workers is 50 mSv. If you wear your watch @ 119 uSv/hr you would reach that dose in 420 hours. In 8 hour blocks thats approximately 52 days.

Watchknut I follow you on instagram and know that you have a varied rotation so I think you'll be okay.
Thanks for doing the math Frank.

Always wondered about this.
Old 11 January 2020, 10:53 PM   #12
watchknut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post

Thanks!

And yes, it get very little wrist time, and when I wear to work, it spends most of the time on the desk.
Old 11 January 2020, 11:26 PM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

Astounding, remarkable and just a little scary..............

I think I will opt for collecting a 1675 with pointed crown guards

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 01:01 AM   #14
Cmmatthews
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red SD
Shouldn’t it be measured from the case back to get a better sense of what is being absorbed by the body?
Cmmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #15
roh123
"TRF" Member

When dicussing how dangerous radiation is you need to take into account if it is alfa, beta or gamma radiation. Watches are relatively safe as long as the radium stays in the case. Most dangerous on a 6542 is the bezel as it is just capseled by plastic which easily cracks and you risk inhaling the dangerous stuff. Just wearing a hot watch should be fairly safe even if I personally wouldn’t wear these kind of watches reguarly. Just feels wrong.
Old 16 January 2020, 06:57 AM   #16
Rolexator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Yeah.. They are hot.

The measurement is wrong in this picture, this is why. Since the Mullard-tube sits under the Geiger and not on the tip you need to hold it over the watch to measure the radiation correctly.
Rolexator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 07:14 AM   #17
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexator View Post
The measurement is wrong in this picture, this is why. Since the Mullard-tube sits under the Geiger and not on the tip you need to hold it over the watch to measure the radiation correctly.
Well.. The pic was taken to show the watch and reading.
Old 19 January 2020, 11:34 PM   #18
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Like a doc told me. We are all terminal. I bet there is something else than a watch that will kill us all. Keep and enjoy! Rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Member of Red Sox Nation

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:07 AM   #19
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchknut View Post

Thanks for sharing.
Your buddy should throw his into an incinerator!
Old 22 January 2020, 02:28 AM   #20
cads83
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 18k
Nice one
cads83 is offline   Reply With Quote