The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 January 2020, 06:24 AM   #1
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

ETA 2836-2 Issue (Damasko DH3.0)

Hi All,

I’ve been having an odd, and very sporadic, issue with my Damasko. I’m curious if anyone has experienced something similar with either Damasko or any other watch with this particular ETA movement.

Watch runs fine and seems to be keeping time within spec. It also seems to be holding the appropriate power reserve. I’ve sent it back to Damasko once under warranty and they could not replicate the issue. They said all appears to be in good order.

Issue is, randomly, when winding the watch it feels like something is binding. Sometimes it happens when the watch is already running and I give it a wind, sometimes it happens when the watch has stopped completely. It may happen after a full 40-50 turns of the crown, or (like today) it may happen after 10-20 turns of the crown. Most of the time it doesn’t happen at all. There is no consistency to this issue.

However, when it does happen, it becomes extremely difficult to continue winding. Difficult enough that I don’t bother winding any further for fear of damaging something. As stated, it feels like gears have locked up. Even if I try to overcome the resistance and continue winding, it doesn’t “break free.” I can still pull the crown out to both positions to set day, date and time. If i leave the watch alone for a while the problem resolves itself (until next time).

Been googling for a bit and have found other issues, but none like mine described above. Watch is still under warranty so may send it back again, but that was a bit of a waste last time. Any thoughts from the community?

Thanks.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 07:47 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Automatic ETAs are renowned for not liking being hand wound. The componentry isn’t the most robust, since it’s only designed for getting the watch started, then the auto mechanism does the job of winding it up the rest of the way.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 07:09 AM   #3
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

My only experience with ETA movements (prior to Damasko) was my Sinn. Never had this winding issue, or any others for that matter, with that watch.

Note to self, wind less and wind more gently with the Damasko.

Thanks for the reply.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote