The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 January 2020, 10:52 PM   #1
xrole
"TRF" Member

Need help identifying this Rolex please...

Hi guys. So, my colleague has an older Rolex and I have never seen anything like it before. It's a 'Rolex Oysterdate Precision' with the serial code 78350 19 engraved on the back and the face has a lovely blue and white colour. I have Googled and I can't seem to find any other information about it!

Can anyone help me please? :)

Pics below (that I took today):

Quote:

xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It has 19mm lugs so most likely its a 34mm watch. The dial and hands are aftermarket garbage. Most likely its a model 6694 manual wind watch. Sellers modify this model all the time because aftermarket parts are so plentiful. Thats why you cant find anything on Google because it never left the Rolex factory in this configuration.
78350 is the bracelet model.
Old 16 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
There are several things that make me question its authenticity.

I am not an expert however.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 11:00 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
In horology terms today a California dial refers to a dial face that consists of half Roman and half Arabic markers.Now this style dial dates back to the 1930s when Panerai used it on there Marina Militare and divers watches.Now some of these watches were refurbished by a company based in California using this style of dial hence now the so called California dials.Rolex made some watches with California dials and I believe there were some genuine Tudors with the California dial but made for the then at that time commonwealth market only.But most you see today on places like Ebay are re-finished dials and did not start like that from factory and the posters watch is a refinished dial.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 11:59 PM   #5
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
It has 19mm lugs so most likely its a 34mm watch. The dial and hands are aftermarket garbage. Most likely its a model 6694 manual wind watch. Sellers modify this model all the time because aftermarket parts are so plentiful. Thats why you cant find anything on Google because it never left the Rolex factory in this configuration.
78350 is the bracelet model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In horology terms today a California dial refers to a dial face that consists of half Roman and half Arabic markers.Now this style dial dates back to the 1930s when Panerai used it on there Marina Militare and divers watches.Now some of these watches were refurbished by a company based in California using this style of dial hence now the so called California dials.Rolex made some watches with California dials and I believe there were some genuine Tudors with the California dial but made for the then at that time commonwealth market only.But most you see today on places like Ebay are re-finished dials and did not start like that from factory and the posters watch is a refinished dial.
Ahhhh I see, thanks guys. I asked the person and they said that the person they were given it by said that the outer glass was smashed some time ago, so I am guessing that this was likely when it was given a new cosmetic. I have no idea if the rest of the watch in general is authentic or not.

Thanks for clarifying, it makes sense now as to why I can't find it. :)
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:15 AM   #6
doogan
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity, is a 78350 bracelet different from a 7835?
doogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:18 AM   #7
doogan
"TRF" Member

A quick search answered my own question. 78350 is solid links and 7835 folded over...
doogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:46 AM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The dial is a repaint and another consideration is that it may have been a Tudor that got promoted by the redailer. :) Very common on eBay specials. Have the case back pulled to confirm it's a Rolex.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:55 AM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
The dial is a repaint and another consideration is that it may have been a Tudor that got promoted by the redailer. :) Very common on eBay specials. Have the case back pulled to confirm it's a Rolex.
A tudor would be engraved on the outside of the case back. The OPs looks like a 6694 case back with the bulbous shape.

Here is the back of a 6694
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6694.jpg (59.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 17 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #10
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
A tudor would be engraved on the outside of the case back. The OPs looks like a 6694 case back with the bulbous shape.

Here is the back of a 6694
As we know, case backs are not sacrosanct. :) Checking the movement is just common sense with an unknown watch.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote