The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2018, 12:34 AM   #121
Speed
"TRF" Member

All BLNRs Sold In Classifieds Guys !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
Might be true might be false. Fact of the matter is all the BLNRs in the classifieds are marked as SOLD today.

And....now what?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #122
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
You really think that the forums or the stupid threads are bigger than the market ?
No, I don't think so. I just think the threads are stupid on it's own merits. I don't care about the market. I just care about having a good feeling wearing a watch on my wrist...and hope the majority of the threads revert to positive energy and about owning and wearing a watch on the wrist, instead of safe queen images and market discussions.

Its better being a WIS than a MIS*)

Market Idiot Savant.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:13 AM   #123
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I may be the only one who doesn’t care for this watch. I passed on it 3 times, twice at my AD and once in the airport in Dubai.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:53 AM   #124
Mat K
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Subc, Polar
Still loads of new ones for sale on eBay UK around 9k
Old 12 December 2018, 02:59 AM   #125
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Actually my post made me a bit sad so I thought back to when I was hunting and saving up to buy my first real Rolex, a sub, and I was overjoyed that I finally had one and I took hundreds of pics that first week from all angles. Contrast to now and I have barely taken any new pics of any of my watches in the last few months and that is not good. It is natural to get a bit blasé as you go deeper in this hobby but the hype makes it worse.

The hype is a huge turn off I agree... BUT, I’ve found that spending time on other subsections of TRF (the non-Rolex ones) has mitigated the Rolex “fatigue”. I’ve owned many brands but whenever I hold a Rolex and put one on, there is still something that feels so right and so special about it. Taking a vacation now and then from the majority of the Rolex threads helps bring those feelings back. At least for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:05 AM   #126
ALF61
"TRF" Member

I remember being a college student back in the early ´80s. The bookstore had a huge sale on opening one day. Everybody had bundled up to ask for the latest and greatest calculator from HP. An old lady was among us in the crowd, and when she heard everybody shouting for the HP, she ordered her younger guy to buy one of those too "because everbody wanted one". Obviously this lady had absolutely no use for a scientific calculator she didn´t even know what it was for much less use one, but she bought one and in the process a needy student was left without one.

This stuff applies to Rolex watches nowadays, and it is a natural phenomena. Everybody wants one and they could careless about wearing it or not. They are collectible valuables these days.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:32 AM   #127
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually my post made me a bit sad so I thought back to when I was hunting and saving up to buy my first real Rolex, a sub, and I was overjoyed that I finally had one and I took hundreds of pics that first week from all angles. Contrast to now and I have barely taken any new pics of any of my watches in the last few months and that is not good. It is natural to get a bit blasé as you go deeper in this hobby but the hype makes it worse.
Neil I am on the same page as you. A few weeks ago I picked up a 126660 and I haven't done an incoming thread which is a first.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:45 AM   #128
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Quote:
Must say sometimes I look at my Rolexes and wonder what the fuss is all about. The more hyped they get, the less interesting I find them, just too unjustified, so glad I'm content and out of this rat race.
For me, and I suspect many others, it's not about the hype, it's about how drop-dead gorgeous the last few years of Rolex design has been. If you ask me, that's what's stimulating interest, not speculation:

500C - I waited decades praying for Rolex to put a black bezel back where it belonged.

DJ41 - Couldn't wait for Rolex to correct the size issue and bring this powerhouse back to life.

BLRO - The combination of the retro styling via the Pepsi bezel and Jubilee bracelet finally made the GMT different enough from my Sub's to justify its inclusion in my collection.

Something that's getting lost in all of this mania is that Rolex has done an outstanding job in breathing new life into the line. To me, this is the second golden age of Rolex design, you can jump straight from the 70's to the last 5 years and see the really first big changes in these models after 40 years of subtleties. I flipped from a vintage collector to a modern collector practically overnight because the new versions are finally different enough (some might say superior) to the classics.
ROLMARINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:01 AM   #129
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
The hype is a huge turn off I agree... BUT, I’ve found that spending time on other subsections of TRF (the non-Rolex ones) has mitigated the Rolex “fatigue”. I’ve owned many brands but whenever I hold a Rolex and put one on, there is still something that feels so right and so special about it. Taking a vacation now and then from the majority of the Rolex threads helps bring those feelings back. At least for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1. This current state of Rolex has, in one way or another, created a sense of disinterest in people (myself included).

Wholeheartedly agree, it's a great time to learn about and get interested in other brands. I love my Rolex watches, but I'm not going to sit by my phone, twiddling thumbs while awaiting that AD call. I'm not going to lament empty Rolex cases at the ADs and boutiques. Im not going to waste my time pontificating the Rolex "strategy".

If you truly enjoy horology, and not just brand image a d status, you can find beauty and value in the countless other brands that make fantastic watches.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:05 AM   #130
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
No, I don't think so. I just think the threads are stupid on it's own merits. I don't care about the market. I just care about having a good feeling wearing a watch on my wrist...and hope the majority of the threads revert to positive energy and about owning and wearing a watch on the wrist, instead of safe queen images and market discussions.

Market Idiot Savant.

Post should be stickied. This non-stop business analysis of jewelry is pointless.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:14 AM   #131
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
If you ask me, that's what's stimulating interest, not speculation:

500C - I waited decades praying for Rolex to put a black bezel back where it belonged.

DJ41 - Couldn't wait for Rolex to correct the size issue and bring this powerhouse back to life.

BLRO - The combination of the retro styling via the Pepsi bezel and Jubilee bracelet finally made the GMT different enough from my Sub's to justify its inclusion in my collection.
I agree and might i add they also did well with the SD 126600.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:07 AM   #132
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
I agree and might i add they also did well with the SD 126600.
Yes, definitely. Rolex really nailed it these past few years.
Old 12 December 2018, 05:32 AM   #133
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Market Idiot Savant.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:54 AM   #134
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:

Market Idiot Savant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Post should be stickied. This non-stop business analysis of jewelry is pointless.

Let's hope next year the situation will drastically change!
Old 12 December 2018, 06:23 AM   #135
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Well said. I’ve started to read about JLC abit more as the reverso is starting to intrigue me.
That's a great watch with a great Art Deco polo history, came close to buying one myself.

Quote:
Something that's getting lost in all of this mania is that Rolex has done an outstanding job in breathing new life into the line. To me, this is the second golden age of Rolex design, you can jump straight from the 70's to the last 5 years and see the really first big changes in these models after 40 years of subtleties. I flipped from a vintage collector to a modern collector practically overnight because the new versions are finally different enough (some might say superior) to the classics.
Indeed, can't deny Rolex have had a brilliant Basel year after year recently and I think their retail's reflect the watch's worth, that's why when I look at my watch and then its current market price I do shake my head.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:30 AM   #136
bronzeband00
Banned

no way! Am checking it out myself
bronzeband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:01 PM   #137
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
[QUOTE=PepsiGMY

I'm telling you...just wait and see. Rolex is not discontinuing the Batman.[/QUOTE]

You may be right. Jake Elrich self styled Rolex afficionado of Rolex magazine.com is calling it fake news: Batman didn't die.

Oh, doesn't matter I am entering the 3rd year of my waiting list. Number 100,123rd in line.

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:28 PM   #138
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Jake Elrich self styled Rolex afficionado of Rolex magazine.com is calling it fake news: Batman didn't die.
Old 12 December 2018, 12:34 PM   #139
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:

Never dies.
Just gets SOLD.

Hilarious GIF. Thanks
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:39 PM   #140
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Seems to be some on sale in the classified section!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:52 PM   #141
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
...you can jump straight from the 70's to the last 5 years and see the really first big changes in these models after 40 years of subtleties.
I submit it's the last 13 years. I think the GMT-Master IIc that debuted in 2005 incorporated everything we associate with modern sports Rolex models: supercase, maxi-dial, ceramic insert in the bezel, solid end links in the bracelet, fully milled clasp, and Easylink extension. The Sub followed suit in 2008, adding the Glidelock and a re-engineered bezel action. The DSSD the same year became the brand's flagship über-diver. The first large-case DD and DJ (with modern bracelets) in 2008 and 2009. The Explorer redesign in 2010. The Exp. II redesign in 2011. Daytona goes ceramic in 2011. The Y-M got the updated bracelet in 2012 and started introducing new dial colors. Arguably the last big leap prior to the 32xx movement was the advent of the bi-color ceramic bezel in 2012 with the BLNR. Definitely a lot going on prior to the last five years.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:57 PM   #142
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post

Never dies.
Just gets SOLD.

Hilarious GIF. Thanks
That scene from the 1966 movie always made me laugh because it was so ridiculous, so to stumble on that gif tonight was a true treat. My wife and kids had no idea why dad was laughing so hysterically. Whoever made that was genius.
Old 12 December 2018, 01:04 PM   #143
ROLMARINER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I submit it's the last 13 years. I think the GMT-Master IIc that debuted in 2005 incorporated everything we associate with modern sports Rolex models: supercase, maxi-dial, ceramic insert in the bezel, solid end links in the bracelet, fully milled clasp, and Easylink extension. The Sub followed suit in 2008, adding the Glidelock and a re-engineered bezel action. The DSSD the same year became the brand's flagship über-diver. The Explorer redesign in 2010. The Exp. II redesign in 2011. The Y-M got the updated bracelet in 2012 and started introducing new dial colors. Arguably the last big leap prior to the 32xx movement was the advent of the bi-color ceramic bezel in 2012 with the BLNR. Definitely a lot going on prior to the last five years.
Yes, agreed.

What we know about Rolex is that we're probably locked in on the design of the core Sport models for the next 20-30 years with only subtle changes here-in. So while many of us wish we were alive and of buying-age in the mid 1950's when all these references were first launched, I submit that we are currently experiencing the same renaissance right now and watching Rolex going out with a flourish with the redesigns of the Sky Dweller, Daytona, DJ41, and GMT II in recent years.

That's how I feel as I buy these modern references for the first time. Feels like what 1955 must have felt like to our forefathers.
Old 14 December 2018, 12:07 AM   #144
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Something has clearly changed. See BNIB now listed for almost 14k and used for near 13k
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote