The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2018, 08:14 PM   #61
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
But to answer the OP's question, I will remember the Sub C as a fantastic watch with lugs only a mother could love

For the record, I think a ceramic-bezel Sub with SD43 proportions would be pretty nice. I already have the current SubC, so something different would be interesting (although actually getting hold of one is another matter). I just honestly don't think that's where Rolex will go. But I've been wrong before. I didn't see this year's SS Pepsi coming at all.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:11 PM   #62
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post

For the record, I think a ceramic-bezel Sub with SD43 proportions would be pretty nice. I already have the current SubC, so something different would be interesting (although actually getting hold of one is another matter). I just honestly don't think that's where Rolex will go. But I've been wrong before. I didn't see this year's SS Pepsi coming at all.
It would be nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new sub.jpg (123.7 KB, 112 views)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:56 PM   #63
roro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 216570
Interesting thread. Based on evolutions that have occurred to the cases of other sports models like the Explorer II (40mm to 42mm) and the Sea-Dweller (40mm to 43mm), I would venture to say that Rolex is trying to give each product line a unique personality of its own while covering more case size options.

All these watches used to have 40mm cases with very similar dial designs (with the exception of the polar Explorer II). It seems that the current models are more "differentiated" vs. their predecessors.

The only size missing in the lineup is a 41mm Rolex sports watch. Could 41mm be the next evolution of the Submariner case design? It would make sense. Only a subtle increase in size, more in line with "modern" dive watch proportions and different to the GMT II case. Of course many die hard purists would object to such a move. As for the supercase debate, its really anyone's guess but the fact that Rolex has "redesigned" the lugs on the GMT II may be a clue.
roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:15 PM   #64
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
The supercase sub c is the best watch rolex produces imo and that's how I would remember it
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:29 PM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
As a damn fine modern Rolex

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:28 AM   #66
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
I'll remember it as the one that killed the last sport model.

14060M life
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:33 AM   #67
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony8959 View Post
All this talk lately of watches getting redesigned cases and new movements has me wondering how the current versions (114060 & 116610) of the Sub will be viewed once the redesign takes place. Most of us can agree it’s a modern classic and being the first iteration with a ceramic bezel it will have a firm place in history. But, to me a redesigned case (thinner lugs), red submariner text, and better movement would improve on this versions few shortcomings (if you can call them that). In my eyes making it perfect and possibly making some forget about these current references. What do you think?

*disclaimer: I am an owner of the 116610

Red Submariner text?

I think only the folks on this forum give a hoot about red text on a dial.

The throngs of regular Joes simply wanting a new shiny “Rolex” don’t know about that or thick / thin lugs...maxi plots, glide lock etc.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 02:52 AM   #68
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

On balance I’d agree they will stick with the super case and have a change of movement. If they were going to change the lug width on the GMTs they would have done it on the Pepsi. They didn’t. A slimmer lugged 40mm Sub makes no sense against the current GMT. The Sub has always been marketed as more of a robust watch than the GMT hence the all matt finish compared to the polished centre links of the GMT. So a smaller silhouette does not sit right. Moving it up to 41m seems unlikely as you would have a size difference between the two models when they have traditionally been the same size. Then you would have a 41m Sub and a 43m SD both with cyclops lenses, not a huge difference between them? The depth rating is a red herring (pardon the weak joke) as not many people really take them in th shower let alone dive with them.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 02:55 AM   #69
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
The ugliest Submariner. So I will remember it
+1. Boat anchor?
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:09 AM   #70
Maiden
"TRF" Member

As the most perfect, beautiful modern interpretation/evolution of the original 1953 submariner.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 10:09 AM   #71
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
It would be nice
I've often wondered what the current SubC would look like if it had an innerhorn width (endpiece width) of 22mm instead of 20mm (and a taper down to 17mm at the clasp, instead of 15mm), keeping everything else the same - or in other words, put the SD43 bracelet on the SubC. That would make the lugs technically narrower, while keeping the case dimensions the same. I think it would still be a chunky, squared case, but would the lugs look as proportionally "fat"? In an end-to-end pic with the SD43, it looks like the width of the Sub's case at the lugs is slightly wider than the SD's, indicating it could take the SD's bracelet fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6e0999d184068a3e10c49bba530fe0e5(for-web).jpg (218.2 KB, 53 views)
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 10:25 AM   #72
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
The 43 has better dementions.
If the sub had the same dementions, but not size, it would be so much better.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 11:37 AM   #73
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And what would be a better movement, is not the cal 3135 one of the greatest most accurate and long lasting movements on this planet.Its changed very little since introduction in 1988 and powered countless millions of Rolex watches how can any movement be better.
Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony8959 View Post
Very well said.. there’s not much to improve on this current movement. It probably would just improve power reserve.
....and Yes!!!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote