The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2018, 05:09 AM   #61
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
36mm to 39mm is most comfortable to me. 40mm is ok but I’m really aware of the watch at that size. I’m a fan of, “Wear the watch, don’t let the watch wear you.”
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:25 AM   #62
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
It’s always going to be subjective.
Taste and fashion changes so I will have to wait for that change to buy either or both of the explorers
I must say that in general when it comes to those two models I would tend to rather agree with your opinion of size. The 39mm Explorer looks larger because of the dial which looks much larger than say a Submariner. Maybe a 37mm would fit better.
As for the Exp 2, 40mm would have been nice for that watch but there is some function to it's size and new maxi design. 40mm would have been better but the maxi dial and hands wouldn't have worked at least in that configuration.

I don't think you'll ever see those two shrink, Rolex doesn't necessarily "do" fashion or trends per sé so in the end you'll have to find alternatives or live with them to see if you can get used to size. I personally don't ever think I'll buy another watch over 40mm.

I think ultimately as it relates to the title of your thread, modern Rolex sizing isn't too big. the average is probably an even 40mm across the board, while brands like IWC or Panerai hover consistently above the 45mm range. I tend to think that Rolex as a sports model brand tends to stay more conservative. Even AP or even RM on the high end make very large watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK DeepSea View Post
It takes a pretty pretentious person in 2018 to comment on the appropriateness or style of a watch based on occasion or formalwear.

Few of any care about what watch someone may have on.
I don't know if this is a joke or an insult. Pretentious is something I've never been considered lols. I don't honestly care whether you wear a G-Shock in a tux and my statement was not even my hardline opinion but an observation of the climate of the membership here. I personally would wear any watch Rolex makes with a tux, especially something as striking as an LVC or Sub LB, just for the contrast.

Search the forum on what people think a dress watch is and what many believe to be the ideal size and whether a dive watch is okay for formal wear. What you will see is a host of varying opinions and perspectives, none of which I would consider "pretentious", those types of folks don't last around here.

Pretentious I would say is outright making assumptions about someone based on one post.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:26 AM   #63
AK DeepSea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
I totally disagree with this. Different watches have their place at different times and for different events.

In fact, one should not wear a watch at all with formalwear (black or white tie).

Rules are important for different occasions, otherwise everything is just a free for all with no rhyme or reason.
Yeah but there are no rules in 2018. This is not the early 1900s anymore. As long as your junk is covered, you can basically get away with anything. I’ve seen more than my fair share of GShocks at formal events hosted and worn by quite “distinguished” people.
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:29 AM   #64
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
well after owning a few vintage Rolexes I do think my hulk is getting big indeed.
Old 12 December 2018, 05:29 AM   #65
AK DeepSea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I must say that in general when it comes to those two models I would tend to rather agree with your opinion of size. The 39mm Explorer looks larger because of the dial which looks much larger than say a Submariner. Maybe a 37mm would fit better.
As for the Exp 2, 40mm would have been nice for that watch but there is some function to it's size and new maxi design. 40mm would have been better but the maxi dial and hands wouldn't have worked at least in that configuration.

I don't think you'll ever see those two shrink, Rolex doesn't necessarily "do" fashion or trends per sé so in the end you'll have to find alternatives or live with them to see if you can get used to size. I personally don't ever think I'll buy another watch over 40mm.

I think ultimately as it relates to the title of your thread, modern Rolex sizing isn't too big. the average is probably an even 40mm across the board, while brands like IWC or Panerai hover consistently above the 45mm range. I tend to think that Rolex as a sports model brand tends to stay more conservative. Even AP or even RM on the high end make very large watches.

I don't know if this is a joke or an insult. Pretentious is something I've never been considered lols. I don't honestly care whether you wear a G-Shock in a tux and my statement was not even my hardline opinion but an observation of the climate of the membership here. I personally would wear any watch Rolex makes with a tux, especially something as striking as an LVC or Sub LB, just for the contrast.

Search the forum on what people think a dress watch is and what many believe to be the ideal size and whether a dive watch is okay for formal wear. What you will see is a host of varying opinions and perspectives, none of which I would consider "pretentious", those types of folks don't last around here.

Pretentious I would say is outright making assumptions about someone based on one post.
That comment wasn’t directed at you. It was a response to your opinion.

VERY few people notice what watch people are wearing. Those that do are in slim to no company. Certainly not enough company to have a reasonable conversation with anyone else at said event.

While you yourself may notice and critique what one person is wearing. I guarantee nobody else cares.

Take a chill pill bro.
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #66
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivayash View Post
Funny I raised this exact point the other day but in the name of elegance vs vulgarity.

I fully agree with you. Smaller cases are more elegant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Oysterquarz is great! Funky, yet somehow elegant. I love it!
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:56 AM   #67
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
A lot of oversized watches just look silly on so many.i prefer 36-40. Exceptions SMP and the Overseas Chronograph.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #68
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK DeepSea View Post
That comment wasn’t directed at you. It was a response to your opinion.

VERY few people notice what watch people are wearing. Those that do are in slim to no company. Certainly not enough company to have a reasonable conversation with anyone else at said event.

While you yourself may notice and critique what one person is wearing. I guarantee nobody else cares.

Take a chill pill bro.
I stand corrected sir. I feel the same for the most part. However, in our world of WIS, unfortunately watches seldom go unnoticed and some people for whatever reason have a certain stance on what a certain watch is.

I like the age of horology we live in, precious metals on rubber, exotic materials on leather, diamonds on elastomer....in 1950 this would be an abomination. Today a rose gold AP on rubber or a gold Daytona on leather look spectacular in a suit.

You are correct that the average person doesn't know or care. Up to this day I still haven't heard anyone speak about someone's choice of watch on a celebrity red carpet event, like we hear about necklaces, rings and shoes. Yet some people(not me) would swear there is a "correct" watch for such and such occasion. Life is too short, I have real issues to navigate.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:00 AM   #69
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Rolex sells DJs down to 31mm and OPs down to 26mm if you want a smaller watch.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:06 AM   #70
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
I have owned both old and new models, the modern ones certainly feel better on the wrist and more aesthetically pleasing to me.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:08 AM   #71
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
Uniqlo! I was in looking at some athletic wear... never would have considered buying work clothes there but I loved these pants so much I had to have em!

Thanks!!
Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:11 AM   #72
shivayash
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1998 16610 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Mas View Post

Thanks. I just got it this evening. I LOVE it.

shivayash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:12 AM   #73
Xerxes77
Banned

I think now Rolex make watch for every wrist.
I like new model!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:17 AM   #74
R G
Banned

I think generally speaking, I prefer smaller watches.

I’m sort of an in-between size with approx 6.75 wrist and the right shape that allows me wear older vintage pieces up to 40/41ish.

I always get stuck with my DJ41. Sometimes I look at it and think I wish I had the 36mm and other times I look at it and think I wouldn’t want it in a smaller iteration.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 06:46 AM   #75
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Rolex sells DJs down to 31mm and OPs down to 26mm if you want a smaller watch.
Really? - wow!
I actually want a smaller explorer and explorer2 same as the current design but a more modest size
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:01 AM   #76
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
For me, the modern maxi-case Rolexes have a time and a place. I call them "fun" watches for when some real wrist presence is what you are going for.

The best wearing modern sport Rolexes to me are: DaytonaC and 39 mm Explorer 1. Slimmer lugs, slim profile. 5 digit Subs and GMTs have this as well.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:07 AM   #77
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nope, not at all. Plenty of range in the line up today, which incidentally is quite popular, too. Seems like Rolex knows what the modern consumer wants.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:08 AM   #78
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Mas View Post
Oh, I wholeheartedly disagree!

The OysterQuartz is elegant, yet profoundly funky.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:11 AM   #79
shivayash
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1998 16610 Sub
Are you American?
I’m guessing funky is not a compliment.

shivayash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:14 AM   #80
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I am wearing my smaller watches much more today. I like the 36mm size and hope the Day-Date 36 gets the new movement and bracelet this coming year.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:16 AM   #81
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
Am I alone in wishing Rolex would down size some of its watches?

I love the design and modern build quality of both the explorer l & ll but both feel 3mm too large.
I hope we will see a return to a more classic size from Rolex
3mm is not something that is noticeable on someone else's wrist. You only notice it because you are zooming in on your own wrist.

If you like the overall design, buy it and enjoy it. I assure you after a few weeks of wearing it and getting used to the size, you won't find it to be too big.

With that being said, I prefer the overall looks of the 16570 over 216570 myself.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:13 AM   #82
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivayash View Post
Are you American?
I’m guessing funky is not a compliment.

Funky is one of those words, like bad, sick, etc., that can be used positively or negatively, depending on context.

Old 12 December 2018, 09:16 AM   #83
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
3mm is not something that is noticeable on someone else's wrist. You only notice it because you are zooming in on your own wrist.
I have to disagree with that. Three millimeters sounds really small, but those three millimeters can somehow transform a beautifully proportioned watch into a monstrosity.

Old 12 December 2018, 09:22 AM   #84
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I love them all, big or small

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:32 AM   #85
boatbasin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600,TTDJ,PTYM
All of my sport watches are 40mm or bigger, but I don't like dress watches that big. Classics like the DD in YG look better to me in 36mm, bigger than that is too flashy.
boatbasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:35 AM   #86
zengineer
"TRF" Member

There simply is no right answer here.

You can have a 6.5 inch roundish wrist or a 8.0 inch flat wrist.

A white dial 42mm Nomos with no bezel will wear dramatically different than a black dial 42mm fat bezel Breitling Superocean.

I think certain Rolex watches are bigger than they would ideally be, the Skydweller is an example that comes to mind but if I had an 8.0 inch wrist and not my remarkably average 7.25 inch wrist I'd feel differently.

And to top it all off, we all have different ideas of how a watch should fit. I think when you see a wrist shot and can't tell if it's on a strap or a bracelet it's beyond too big. Others say the lugs are not technically overhanging by all that much so it's perfect.

If anything, Rolex along with Grand Seiko seems to be one of the few companies who haven't gone crazy with bigger and bigger watches

And I think everyone knows the whole "it's all about the lug to lug" thing
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:35 AM   #87
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I love them all, big or small
Great photos, nice BMW. Who makes the stove?
ROLMARINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:35 AM   #88
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I disagree. The only watch which I feel looks better smaller is the datejust. 36mm is the right size for that watch, not 41.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:40 AM   #89
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
Great photos, nice BMW. Who makes the stove?
We went with Thermador appliances

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 09:51 AM   #90
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I have a 7.5" wrist , and think 40mm is about the sweet spot for watches & most of my watches are 40mm .But the 36mm DJ is just so comfortable to wear & to me ,has the all important wrist presence without having to shout about it .And remember just like most things in life your taste & style changes over time , so wear whatever size watch or attire you feel comfortable with .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (167.0 KB, 131 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote