The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 September 2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Mithrilbike
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos Blue
GMT Master II second hands changed?

I am new to this forum and seriously looking at GMT Master II's from several trusted sellers. I just saw a scary youtube video on how good fake Rolexes are so I'm a bit skittish.
So I started comparing photos of the watches for sale and a photo from the Rolex brochure for the watch and the second hands seem slightly different. I do trust these sellers and I am in no way questioning their honesty. In fact I am almost sure the watches are indeed genuine and I know the sellers stand behind that. But I just wanted to tap into the the collective wisdom out there on this forum and get your opinions.
In my view the second hands on the watches for sale are slightly longer, extending into the word "Swiss" at the 6 o'clock position. Also they seem to be a darker color than the Rolex photo, although the lighting is different too. The 24 hour hand also seems darker in the border of the triangle than the Rolex photo--probably just the lighting again.
I have heard that Rolex makes tiny changes in the hands sometimes. So maybe this is just a newer second hand than in the sale watches? What are your thoughts on these differences? I know I can just buy new from an AD but it is a lot more expensive and these are great sellers from what I can tell. The first photo is from Rolex.com.
After more review the second hand is definitely shorter in the Rolex photo which you can tell from the lumiscent dot which is clearly closer to the block at six oclock in the sale watches.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (57.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (63.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0164-1.jpg (63.0 KB, 168 views)
Mithrilbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 12:03 PM   #2
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
There are tiny differences sometimes which is why you hear of the term "mark" for dials for example
The 116710 is not known for many changes since its inception in 2007
They have however had problems getting the magnification right on all the gmt ceramic models they all seem to be different, rolex will correct that for you if you send it in free of charge, its a well known glitch

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 12:37 PM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The top picture doesn't look right and is probably a picture of a watch that has only existed in digital form.

Rolex has published ads that have such images in them and errors have been pointed out by members.

When looking at pictures of watches you are interested in buying, you should be certain that you are looking at a photograph of an actual watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 12:39 PM   #4
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

It's tough to say from the pics, obviously the lighting can be the source of the color differences. The one thing I noticed is the 24 hour hand itself (the stem) seems fatter on the Rolex photo.

A complicating factor though when looking at official Rolex photos is that I seem to recall discussion that they are often photo shopped, in some cases to a high degree. If you search I think there is a video showing the process in time lapse. I'm not sure, it may be only for magazine ads and not the official website, but I don't know this for certain.
Old 13 September 2015, 12:46 PM   #5
hunterp27
Banned

Watch: WG 18039 Day/Date
The watch picture you've posted by a trusted seller is actually more correct than the photo you pulled from Rolex marketing literature. Sometimes the watches in the photos are actually photoshopped and are always rendered from a digital origin. You are 110% safe buying from a TRF trusted seller. To your comment regarding the replicas. Yes there are some very very close replicas out there now, but if you share enough high quality photos with me and many other TRF members, we can always find something that gives it away. Buy here and/or at an AD, and you will be safe
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 03:03 AM   #6
Mithrilbike
"TRF" Member

Sirs
Thanks for the information, which was great and very helpful.
Old 19 September 2015, 03:06 AM   #7
Mithrilbike
"TRF" Member

Now that I look again the Rolex.com photo does look artificial and the green stems on the 24 hour hands do look thicker on the real watches.