The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 September 2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
What do you think of redials? Modern Paul Newman

https://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/da...%2fnotepad.htm

I saw this watch and thought it was just awesome. It recreated the aesthetic of the famous Paul Newman dial but you get all the benefits of a modern Daytona. That means its automatic, water resistant, and has the great bracelet. I know it doesn't have the investment potential or cache of the original PN but I think its phenomenal. What are the thoughts here?
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 08:59 AM   #2
RolexAuthority
Banned

That's actually quite a nice looking dial as it goes very nicely done indeed and not gawdy as some are
RolexAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 09:01 AM   #3
VerticalHorizon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I think it looks fantastic!
Old 15 September 2015, 09:07 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It is tempting but it is a franken with a fake dial and not modded so not for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 09:15 AM   #5
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The dial definitely misappropriated the Rolex trademark and coronet icon. As such it is a fake and I'd steer clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 09:20 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not for me. OCD leads me to be picky about aftermarket stuff.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 09:43 AM   #7
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The big thing I have a problem with is price and resale.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 09:49 AM   #8
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Looks really nice but not for me. For all the same reasons stated above.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2015, 10:43 AM   #9
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Way overpriced, i dont know why people think these modifications command higher prices!

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
https://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/da...%2fnotepad.htm

I saw this watch and thought it was just awesome. It recreated the aesthetic of the famous Paul Newman dial but you get all the benefits of a modern Daytona. That means its automatic, water resistant, and has the great bracelet. I know it doesn't have the investment potential or cache of the original PN but I think its phenomenal. What are the thoughts here?
i like it! its not a garish mod. but at $15k, its ambitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It is tempting but it is a franken with a fake dial and not modded so not for me.
i hear you but i think its a modded dial, not a fake dial. the seller states its the rolex dial but modded by them. they also mention rolex has nothing to do with the mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The dial definitely misappropriated the Rolex trademark and coronet icon. As such it is a fake and I'd steer clear.

i don't think its a fake because there's isn't a modern one to fake. the seller states its the modded original dial; i'm just playing devils advocate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderl712000 View Post
Way overpriced, i dont know why people think these modifications command higher prices!
agree. maybe they're assessing the market? i've seen 20y old daytonas with ice blue coatings sell for $15k so this might be a fair ask.

should be interesting to see if it sells but others have done their own renditions too... i prefer the black.

http://stupiddope.com/2014/04/11/bla...an-first-look/

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2014/04/...a-paul-newman/

(i'm also on the fence on whether this is a watch-out post... maybe open discussion is more appropriate?)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 03:19 AM   #11
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

i hear you but i think its a modded dial, not a fake dial. the seller states its the rolex dial but modded by them. they also mention rolex has nothing to do with the mod.

i don't think its a fake because there's isn't a modern one to fake. the seller states its the modded original dial; i'm just playing devils advocate here.

(i'm also on the fence on whether this is a watch-out post... maybe open discussion is more appropriate?)

I can see your points about using the word "fake". Maybe "unauthorized replica" is more apt - but unwieldy.

Had they left off the trademarks, it'd just be a custom dial.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 04:41 AM   #12
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
It is fake full stop!

If any Rolex branded part which is not Rolex authorized is used it is a counterfeit. Any trade with such a watch is illegal.

Any further discussion is superfluous.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 08:04 AM   #13
Watchurself
"TRF" Member

That with a black ceramic bezel would look amazing..
Watchurself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltzar View Post
It is fake full stop!

If any Rolex branded part which is not Rolex authorized is used it is a counterfeit. Any trade with such a watch is illegal.

I'm not buying that.

Rolex has never gone after Bamford or Pro-Hunter.

True, Rolex won't service such watches unless they can return them to original, but I've never heard of these watches being considered counterfeit.

Now, as far as I'm concerned an aftermarket dial is counterfeit.

These watches have repainted original dials.

But, hey, I don't live in Switzerland.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 02:32 PM   #15
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
What do you think of redials? Modern Paul Newman

I Luv the look of the 6239, 6263, 6264 and 6265 but could not wear one that was "redialed" or not all original Rolex and unadulterated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di59iCDPEmo

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 03:25 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
It is fake full stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I'm not buying that.

True, Rolex won't service such watches unless they can return them to original, but I've never heard of these watches being considered counterfeit.

Old 16 September 2015, 04:56 PM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
It is fake full stop!

You are saying that if I modify my original Rolex parts to change the look, it makes it fake, and illegal? There are several members here who have modified their watches (PVD, bezel insert number paint, etc.). You're saying we should call the cops on these guys?

Extending your notion to other products, it would be illegal to apply a custom paint color to my car.

As long as any mod's to the original parts are fully disclosed to a potential buyer, I don't see any dishonesty in it.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 06:11 PM   #18
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
If Rolex didn't licence the possibility of customizing a a part of a watch bearing the trademark it is counterfeit. I supose pro hunter has such a licence from Rolex.

Destroying your own watch is up to you.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 06:16 PM   #19
wmoore
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116263, 79280
IMHO the problem is not the guy modding his own piece, the problem arises several owners down the line where the truth can get blurred. We see the same thing in my other hobby, the muscle car market, 1st owner it is a clone, second owner a possible recreation and finally by the third or fourth owner it is represented as original to some well funded but less than well informed buyer.
I will never understand why a person will shell out big money without spending a small amount to verify the originality of his potential purchase.
Just my 2 cents
Wayne
wmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 01:23 AM   #20
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I really liked it. I don't think its fake...its like any Bamford, pro hunter etc. Its a modified dial just like AMG used to modify Mercedes before Mercedes actually bought AMG. Anyway...i think its cool and not a fake Rolex by amy means. I wish the company would make dials like that again. Until they do this is the only option. I don't get why its in the watch out section. Putting a Panda dial on a SS Daytona is not that different and Rolex won't service that either. Regardless...I'm a bit bummed now because the watch sold and it wasn't to me...
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 11:41 AM   #21
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
If Rolex didn't licence the possibility of customizing a a part of a watch bearing the trademark it is counterfeit. I supose pro hunter has such a licence from Rolex.
You need to provide a citation, if you are to be taken seriously.

I will admit that I'm wrong in a heartbeat with some proof.

Quote:
Destruction is in the eye of the beholder and basically, when Bamford and Pro-Hunter buy a watch it is theirs to do with as they please, including modifying it and then selling it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 01:54 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You are saying that if I modify my original Rolex parts to change the look, it makes it fake, and illegal? There are several members here who have modified their watches (PVD, bezel insert number paint, etc.). You're saying we should call the cops on these guys?

Extending your notion to other products, it would be illegal to apply a custom paint color to my car.

As long as any mod's to the original parts are fully disclosed to a potential buyer, I don't see any dishonesty in it.

Quote:

whatever you do, don't visit the modified rolex thread....

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=159394

Quote:
You need to provide a citation, if you are to be taken seriously.

I will admit that I'm wrong in a heartbeat with some proof.

Destruction is in the eye of the beholder and basically, when Bamford and Pro-Hunter buy a watch it is theirs to do with as they please, including modifying it and then selling it.
classy.
Old 17 September 2015, 04:55 PM   #23
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
You are can modify your stuff as much as you like. What kooltzar is saying is that as soon as you sell it and you have modified parts with applied trademarks on them you might be in trouble. Putting a Rolex crown on a Seiko is fine unless you sell it. Modifying a dial as it is is probably fine. Removing trademarked items like the crown, totally repainting the dial, then reapplying the crown and print Rolex on it might actually be sketchy if you want to sell it even if the dial plate is original.

Neither Bamford nor Pro Hunter has modified the Rolex text or the crown on the dial and are clear as far as I know.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 08:10 PM   #24
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
I'm not buying that.

Correct...I am very good friends with US President of Bamford and they can't keep up with demand regardless if people here don't like watches. They sell very well and for a lot of money - fact.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 08:30 PM   #25
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
Quote:

...........what?
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2015, 09:57 PM   #26
drifter01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
... Putting a Rolex crown on a Seiko is fine unless you sell it. Modifying a dial as it is is probably fine. Removing trademarked items like the crown, totally repainting the dial, then reapplying the crown and print Rolex on it might actually be sketchy if you want to sell it even if the dial plate is original...
A) Putting a Rolex crown on a Seiko is fine as long as bother are genuine items. The Rolex crown (if you are talking about the winding crown and not the coronet) is marked with the Rolex logo and is genuine, as is the Seiko watch. The is no infringement nor counterfeiting involved. It is just a mixing of genuine parts to create something custom.
B) So if I remove the Ford logo on my car to do a custom paint job, and then put the Ford emblem back on I am counterfeiting? I can legally remove logos and return them to the original piece over and over again...nothng illegal. It is only illegal when I apply the logo to a non-genuine part.

Dave
Ace of Clubs
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." - Hunter S. Thompson
drifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2015, 07:40 AM   #27
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
A) Putting a Rolex crown on a Seiko is fine as long as bother are genuine items. The Rolex crown (if you are talking about the winding crown and not the coronet) is marked with the Rolex logo and is genuine, as is the Seiko watch. The is no infringement nor counterfeiting involved. It is just a mixing of genuine parts to create something custom.
B) So if I remove the Ford logo on my car to do a custom paint job, and then put the Ford emblem back on I am counterfeiting? I can legally remove logos and return them to the original piece over and over again...nothng illegal. It is only illegal when I apply the logo to a non-genuine part.
I did mean the coronet, the same word "crown" is used for both the crown and the coronet on the dial in Swedish.

I did not say that I also agreed that it is or should be illegal. I was trying to clarify.
If you compare it to buying a Picasso painting, repaint it totally with your own artwork and reapply his signature, then you see my point maybe. This is fine unless you try to sell it.

I think both the car and painting analogy is somewhat bad, but one is clearly OK and one is not to me.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote