The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 September 2020, 07:17 PM   #1
drrd
"TRF" Member

1938-39 Rolex - Any help with ID model?

This was left to me by my grandma thirty years ago and belonged to her partner who died maybe fifty years ago. Never worn it as it's too small but I thought I might try and find out something about it.

It's about 34mm case size and 19mm lug width. Auto winds and runs (a bit slowly).

Serial is 63xxx which on a quick search seems to put it at 1938 to 1939.

I had a chat with a Rolex SA I know. He said it was interesting that it has the mercedes hands but predates the Explorer and he wasn't sure of the model.

So just wondering if any forum members here can give insight into what this is.

Any help appreciated

drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:26 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would want to look inside the case back and at the movement before I would say anything definitive about your heirloom.

I don't believe this to be of 1930's vintage.
Old 30 September 2020, 03:35 AM   #3
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Looks very similar to a 6150, from the 50s. Some differences in dials but the crown is the same, case looks the same and dial is very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:44 AM   #4
330ci
"TRF" Member

this is mid to late 50's, beyond that Idk what it is. but it's rare, and valuable. that gilt dial is in remarkably good shape.
330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:35 AM   #5
drrd
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

Regarding the age I remember my Rolex SA was um-ing and ah-ing a bit. He thought the serial was late 30's but said the hands didn't fit and I recall he did err towards 50s by the end - it was pre-COVID we last spoke and he had a quiet spell in the afternoon and we had a look through some catalogues for a while. He even phoned someone at the London or Kent RSC for a chat about it.

The reason I spoke to my Rolex guy was just that I was looking to get it serviced so it keeps better time. The size is no use to me which is why it's sat in a cardboard box for decades but my three daughters are getting older and I think they would quite like to wear it occasionally.

It probably does keep good enough time for an evening out so I could leave it alone. If I do try and get it serviced though I thought best to try and get some idea of what it is (and maybe see if it's worth pampering it).

My local AD are apparently authorised by Rolex to work on current models except maybe Daytona/YMII/Sky-D. They didn't offer to try and service this for me but I could ask them to open it and get a picture of the movement, if that would be useful?
Old 30 September 2020, 04:37 AM   #6
dhknola
"TRF" Member

That is a very cool watch!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:40 AM   #7
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Don't know what it is but it's quite charming! Notice the super long minute hand
ocN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:41 AM   #8
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
You may have something very special and valuable here. I recall reading about Brevet stuff in the past, but I am very uneducated on it.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:42 AM   #9
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Thanks for the responses so far.

Regarding the age I remember my Rolex SA was um-ing and ah-ing a bit. He thought the serial was late 30's but said the hands didn't fit and I recall he did err towards 50s by the end - it was pre-COVID we last spoke and he had a quiet spell in the afternoon and we had a look through some catalogues for a while. He even phoned someone at the London or Kent RSC for a chat about it.

The reason I spoke to my Rolex guy was just that I was looking to get it serviced so it keeps better time. The size is no use to me which is why it's sat in a cardboard box for decades but my three daugthers are getting older and I think they would quite like to wear it occasionally.

It probably does keep good enough time for an evening out so I could leave it alone. If I do try and get it serviced though I thought best to try and get some idea of what it is (and maybe see if it's worth pampering it).
You're going to have to find an independent to service it.

what are the 4 digits between the 6 oclock lugs? that will be the model number.
This appears to be something special, you could likely sell this and buy a new rolex for each of them if this turns out to be all original and possibly still have money left over.
330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 04:54 AM   #10
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
You're going to have to find an independent to service it.

what are the 4 digits between the 6 oclock lugs? that will be the model number.
This appears to be something special, you could likely sell this and buy a new rolex for each of them if this turns out to be all original and possibly still have money left over.
There are 5 digits between the 6 o clock lugs. Is it ok to post the whole serial number? I wasn't sure.
Old 30 September 2020, 05:26 AM   #11
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
What a lovely piece, would look great on a black croc
Old 30 September 2020, 05:49 AM   #12
CTech
"TRF" Member

A serial number of 63XXX dates this to somewhere around 1954 to 1955. Rolex made a lot of changes to this type of watch in that period and so, if it is important to find out exactly what this is, every detail of the case, case back, dial, hands and movement will be important.

As others have said, the best information will come from the inside of the case back where there should be a model number and a date stamped into the inside of the case back. Obviously, at this point you will also have access to the movement and an expert could then identify it.

Prior to that, look for a 4 digit model number on the case. Some of the information given to you is confusing and the 5 digit number (63XXX) at the 6 o'clock position is the serial number. It should also say MODELE DEPOSE or something similar at that position.

The 12 o'clock position should have BREVET + with the 4 digit model number underneath.

Having the model number from the case would be a big step forward in identifying what this is.

Bear in mind that there has been a long time when these were not valued very much and so there may have been many changes to the watch over that period to change its appearance. That means the dial and/or hands may not have been original to the watch and so it is premature to try and make any guesses to its value unless we can understand what the watch was like when it left the factory and what has happened to it in the intervening years.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:16 AM   #13
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
A serial number of 64XXX dates this to somewhere around 1954 to 1955. Rolex made a lot of changes to this type of watch in that period and so, if it is important to find out exactly what this is, every detail of the case, case back, dial, hands and movement will be important.

As others have said, the best information will come from the inside of the case back where there should be a model number and a date stamped into the inside of the case back. Obviously, at this point you will also have access to the movement and an expert could then identify it.

Prior to that, look for a 4 digit model number on the case. Some of the information given to you is confusing and the 5 digit number (64XXX) at the 6 o'clock position is the serial number. It should also say MODELE DEPOSE or something similar at that position.

The 12 o'clock position should have BREVET + with the 4 digit model number underneath.

Having the model number from the case would be a big step forward in identifying what this is.

Bear in mind that there has been a long time when these were not valued very much and so there may have been many changes to the watch over that period to change its appearance. That means the dial and/or hands may not have been original to the watch and so it is premature to try and make any guesses to its value unless we can understand what the watch was like when it left the factory and what has happened to it in the intervening years.
Thanks that's useful.

I've found the model number hiding under the strap, just below Brevet+ as you said - it's 6284.

When I Google this I don't see any similar hands/dial configurations. If anything my hands/dial looks like a 50s Sub to me.

This has been really useful anyway. It seems the next step is to get it opened and gather some more information. Maybe this watch had a face lift at some point in it's life :)

Might be a while with things as they are at the moment but hopefully I can post back soon with some movement and caseback shots.
Old 30 September 2020, 06:27 AM   #14
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Very, very cool! I wonder if possibly it was a special order back when placed. Rolex may have accommodated a 6284 to be fitted with sport dial and hands...Way cool piece and following to see what transpires.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 07:05 AM   #15
winst
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, am looking forward to seeing what more you can find out about it.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 07:14 AM   #16
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I agree with 6284, as the OP stated 34mm and 19mm lugs, which killed the notion of 6150. Beautiful watch! Check if the dots still glow in the dark - they should as this should be a radium dial. Yes, 1954-1955, not late 30s. Cal 1030 movement. If all original, the value of the watch is in the dial and the hands - never mess with them.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 07:25 AM   #17
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED, OP39,PAM
Beautiful watch, the bracelet is somewhat distracting.
BaliBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 07:32 AM   #18
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliBryan View Post
Beautiful watch, the bracelet is somewhat distracting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
What a lovely piece, would look great on a black croc
Yes a strap upgrade is definitely needed.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:38 AM   #19
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I agree with 6284, as the OP stated 34mm and 19mm lugs, which killed the notion of 6150. Beautiful watch! Check if the dots still glow in the dark - they should as this should be a radium dial. Yes, 1954-1955, not late 30s. Cal 1030 movement. If all original, the value of the watch is in the dial and the hands - never mess with them.
Thanks, looked up the cal 1030 so now I have some idea of hopefully what to expect when it's opened up.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:40 AM   #20
drrd
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! This has been really informative and I feel motivated to find out some more about the watch.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:22 AM   #21
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

The only way to know if that dial is original Rolex is to remove the dial from the movement and look at the back of the dial. The construction of the dial and any marking on the back will give you an answer. Its hard to know if the dial was original to that watch unless you have some documentation of a special order.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:32 AM   #22
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The only way to know if that dial is original Rolex is to remove the dial from the movement and look at the back of the dial. The construction of the dial and any marking on the back will give you an answer. Its hard to know if the dial was original to that watch unless you have some documentation of a special order.
unless they reprinted an old Rolex dial, but they usually have a small cut outs
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 08:43 AM   #23
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, it would take some real detective work.
Old 1 October 2020, 11:13 PM   #24
adam78
"TRF" Member

6284 has a semi-bubbleback movement, I don't think it would be a cal. 1030. The dial (which appears original, but would need higher resolution to confirm) is an interesting oddity. These were experimental and transitional years for Rolex, when many features were present overlapping tool and non-tool watches. This dial is simliar to those on the first Submariners, but sized for a 34mm watch.
Old 2 October 2020, 06:17 AM   #25
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

1938-39 Rolex - Any help with ID model?

This is very interesting. Don’t do anything until you find out what it is.

You should post these images and data over in the discussion forum at vintage Rolex Market. I’ll do so if you want me to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 12:01 PM   #26
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The chances of that dial not being original are one in 10 million.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 12:05 PM   #27
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
The chances of that dial not being original are one in 10 million.
You would be surprised at how many fake dials came out of the 80s Bubbleback craze
Old 2 October 2020, 12:05 PM   #28
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unless the OP is some kind of a shady character...which is doubtful

Let's be honest...you can tell a true GILT dial from a gold printed dial in about 3 seconds.

We're assuming this has a little bit of history here...it wasn't discoverd yesterday.

This is very typical with the ligher colored 6 o'clock marker. Similar to the 6202 Turn O Graph Dials from the era.

I'm REALLY doubting that there is any funny business going on here.

I would show that dial to Eric Ku...

This would be an EXCEPTIONALLY rare dial in a very original watch and probably worth quite a bit to the right person.
Old 2 October 2020, 12:07 PM   #29
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would be surprised at how many fake dials came out of the 80s Bubbleback craze
And they magically got perfectly patina'd flat gilt hands and big bubble seconds....

And what would be the point...on 300.00 watch? The hands would be worth more than that watch on a 600.00 or 6202 TOG or 6204 sub at the time.
Old 2 October 2020, 12:16 PM   #30
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice - potentially one of a kind (in a good way).
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote