The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 January 2019, 09:03 PM   #181
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Not wanting to wear something unloved despite secretly liking it yourself makes sense to me. Kind of like not wanting your mates to see you with a fat chick.

Which then tells a lot about one’s personality...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
belutak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:38 PM   #182
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexYouTube View Post
I've had my YMII YG for over a year now and no one as asked me if I own a yacht or anything like that. I don't think that's a question people get asked cause they are wearing the watch but I could be wrong I guess

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Exactly - how many YMII owners have been directly asked if they own a yacht. My guess is zero.

I love this watch, I tried on the TT the other day.

As stated on here earlier I don't think it's the case of the watch being too big for someone's wrist, it's whether that person can carry it off. After all the Deepsea is the same size, its not like it is the watchmaker "U-Boat" size.

I love the watch and the blue dial. Not really fussed if I'm in the minority, some on this forum have been rather uncouth in their criticism stating that it is "Fugly".

Imagine the outcry if we all said about your Sub Green.

I'm glad it exists.
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:41 PM   #183
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
Imagine the outcry if we all said about your Sub Green.
dude

RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:53 PM   #184
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Great an informative review by the way Kevin. I just subscribed.

Keep up the good work
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 09:55 PM   #185
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
That’s my point. That’s because your watch doesn’t have SUBMARINER in huge letters on the bezel.
Come on man.
We are all wearing very expensive tools which we rarely if ever use for the intended purpose. Do people ask if you are a diver, or race car driver?
My Submariner says “Submariner” right on the dial...nice try, but your point was a swing and a miss.
Old 3 January 2019, 10:25 PM   #186
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
After reading this thread, I've started to look at chrono24 for SS preowned good condition ones. I've even learnt how to set / start the 01-10 min. countdown, use the red chrono hand as a permanent seconds hand and do a fly-back.

However, i realise the addition of an alarm when reaching "00:00" would have been useful, so that you don't have to constantly look at your watch to know how close you are to zero. You would be notified when the time is elapsed, that's when you know you take the pasta and eggs out of the boiling water, stop doing your physical exercises or whatever it is you do with a countdown. Not being notified means you could miss the 00:00 and fail to take action in due time.

I needed an excuse not to buy one .
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:12 PM   #187
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
After reading this thread, I've started to look at chrono24 for SS preowned good condition ones. I've even learnt how to set / start the 01-10 min. countdown, use the red chrono hand as a permanent seconds hand and do a fly-back.

However, i realise the addition of an alarm when reaching "00:00" would have been useful, so that you don't have to constantly look at your watch to know how close you are to zero. You would be notified when the time is elapsed, that's when you know you take the pasta and eggs out of the boiling water, stop doing your physical exercises or whatever it is you do with a countdown. Not being notified means you could miss the 00:00 and fail to take action in due time.

I needed an excuse not to buy one .
Good luck with your search... post a picture on the thread whenever you get one...

Hopefully I will have one in 2 weeks...
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:34 AM   #188
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by in-cog-neeto View Post
this. But in a bad way
+1.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:04 AM   #189
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I find the objections about the YM II surreal “Do you own a yacht?” Are you kidding me? So in that case, have you been or are going to the moon? (Omega moon watch), have you been or, are you going, to 1200 meters below water? (Deepsea), are you or, do you intend to time races? (Daytona), do you or will you regularly dive? (Submariner), do all batman owners monitor dual timezones? Etc...etc...
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:07 AM   #190
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
I find the objections about the YM II surreal “Do you own a yacht?” Are you kidding me? So in that case, have you been or are going to the moon? (Omega moon watch), have you been or, are you going, to 1200 meters below water? (Deepsea), are you or, do you intend to time races? (Daytona), do you or will you regularly dive? (Submariner), do all batman owners monitor dual timezones? Etc...etc...
I agree with this! I don’t own a YMII but some of this dialogue is absolutely laughable! If you don’t like it, perfectly fine, but leave it at that.
How many people drive race cars with their Daytona, or are in Submarine crews...or better yet actually go on off road expeditions with their $100,000 Land Rover?
Comical
Old 4 January 2019, 02:41 AM   #191
drgoro
"TRF" Member

It has become my favorite reference. I have been wearing mine everyday! YG and all.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:44 AM   #192
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ive said it before but the YM (so i guess you could include the YMII) is the only professional watch you can use as intended.

I don't own a yacht but if im on a boat drinking a cocktail with an umbrella in it thats pretty close. Yacht master to me is for a leisurely activities and its a different vibe than the other professionals.

I get far closer to that than racing in a NASCAR event, flying to the moon, diving to a depth that is humanly impossible.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:27 AM   #193
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex

I absolutely love my YMII. It was a grail of mine that I was finally able to obtain. From the feel to the look it appeals to me in so many ways. I didn’t realize how much hate there was for this watch. I feel if more people had some one on one time with this model, they would change their minds. BTW I don’t own a yacht but do have a wave runner and a kayak.
Old 4 January 2019, 03:38 AM   #194
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
I do find that in that pic it's quite hard to tell the time easily.
Took a while to realise its 6:52.
Bit too cluttered for these old eyes.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:49 AM   #195
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post

I absolutely love my YMII. It was a grail of mine that I was finally able to obtain. From the feel to the look it appeals to me in so many ways. I didn’t realize how much hate there was for this watch. I feel if more people had some one on one time with this model, they would change their minds. BTW I don’t own a yacht but do have a wave runner and a kayak.
Nice watch... wear it in good health
Old 4 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #196
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
I do find that in that pic it's quite hard to tell the time easily.
Took a while to realise its 6:52.
Bit too cluttered for these old eyes.
Do you think the new updated hands would make it easier to read?
Old 4 January 2019, 04:17 AM   #197
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
it might just be a mix of the new hands and positioning of where the hands are when I took the pic but it looks pretty easy to me

Old 4 January 2019, 09:50 AM   #198
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I like this thread. It has 176 responses, which means the YM II is a polarizing watch. If we browse through Rolex history we will find many watches that a decade after release, did not sell or, were largely reviled. Can anyone say Daytona? GMT Master?, both these watches never sold when released, nobody wanted them and, they were too polarizing...weird how things change eh?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 09:57 AM   #199
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexYouTube View Post
it might just be a mix of the new hands and positioning of where the hands are when I took the pic but it looks pretty easy to me

Just came across a pic of the YG YMII with blue hands... not sure if the pic was a real deal or a concept
Old 4 January 2019, 10:18 AM   #200
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by belutak View Post
Which then tells a lot about one’s personality...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
People say the same about mopeds too. Something for everyone.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 02:22 PM   #201
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no... it screams YACHTMASTER II in giant text

Is says F-U in a much more low key way by comparison.

They may not be staring, they may be reading the text from across the room
oh wow burn.......

people always stared at my pos pateks, i guess because the time was always off from them being broken!

the funniest thing about the majority posting here and TRF is that if the hype thing was to own a yMII, or it set an auction record the sheep would then love it.

lol
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 10:21 PM   #202
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
oh wow burn.......

people always stared at my pos pateks, i guess because the time was always off from them being broken!

the funniest thing about the majority posting here and TRF is that if the hype thing was to own a yMII, or it set an auction record the sheep would then love it.

lol
Lol true
Old 5 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #203
smym18
"TRF" Member

I like it but would never really want one. I feel like there's just way too much going on.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 04:03 AM   #204
Clasper
"TRF" Member

I don't think it's underrated I actually think it's rated correctly by the majority of people.

Under rate means to underestimate the value or sell short.
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 04:12 AM   #205
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
oh wow burn.......

lol
you totally missed the point.

Its a loud watch. its loud on purpose. Its a niche watch on purpose and therefore cant be underrated. Its as popular as its supposed to be.

My 5524 is one of my favorite watches, because its divisive. I like the fact that you either love it or hate it and I don't get defensive about it. its why i bought it. If you buy a YMII and don't expect it to create strong reactions in both directions, you chose the wrong watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 08:54 AM   #206
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I was Boyds in Philly wearing the YMII a fellow WIS struck up a conversation over the watch, he’d never seen one in the wild, I felt like he wanted the watch to given him an autograph lol. I get the same level of attention in the GT3 or huracan, wanted or not, if that type of attention makes you incomfortable get a sub, BLNR, etc...like those cars, when you drive/wear them you should expect to be noticed.
Old 5 January 2019, 08:56 AM   #207
drgoro
"TRF" Member

The ends of the hands are skeletonized to allow you to read the dial. It’s actually pretty clear to read, unless in direct sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexFan007 View Post
Old 5 January 2019, 09:01 AM   #208
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
If you buy a YMII and don't expect it to create strong reactions in both directions, you chose the wrong watch.
But that's the thing, I haven't run into anyone that has said anything like these forums to me about the watch.

No one has said "that watch is too many colors" or "that watch is ugly" or "it's too loud" or "the YACHT MASTER II on the front is too much"

I'm replying like this because you said "strong reactions in both directions" when the only strong reactions I've seen about this watch has literally been on these forums.

The most I've ever heard anyone say about the YMII (mines or someone else's) in a kinda bad(...?) way is "that watch is too big" or "that watch is too heavy"

most people you see in person say it's a nice watch or nothing at all. So honestly not getting strong reactions in any direction really. Only online. (even my YouTube review has almost 400 views and no negative comments which YouTube is notorious for)

Old 5 January 2019, 09:07 AM   #209
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Simple...most people don’t own a yacht!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 09:12 AM   #210
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Come on man.
We are all wearing very expensive tools which we rarely if ever use for the intended purpose. Do people ask if you are a diver, or race car driver?
My Submariner says “Submariner” right on the dial...nice try, but your point was a swing and a miss.
Submariner on the dial is for model ID, Yacht-master II on the bezel in two inch tall block letters just isn't the same. Someone who doesn't know watches has to look closely to see that the watch says Submariner. Someone has to avert their eyes to miss the YMII name.

Quote:
First the YMII is for a very specific purpose. The complication is pretty wasted otherwise. Subs have long been worn by people who are in the water a lot and not only by divers. Higher water resistance ratings to some are just band guarding for watch preservation.

Omega wasn't designed as the Moon watch and happens to be designated capriciously based on it passing some testing in the '60s. It was designed for racing enthusiasts as was the Daytona. Clearly stop watches have more use than Regatta starters.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote