The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2024, 04:46 PM   #1
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Resistance to Magnetic Fields 3135 vs 3235

Hey All

Getting back in the the Rolex game and I am hearing about this small (lol) change to the 3235.

I see alot of upside and some teething issues and holdouts as one would expect.

My current watch, Oris ProPilot has been magnetized a few times and other than the Milgauss, are the professional watches with the 3235 have anywhere near the same resistance with the new upgrades?

Between the new escapement of the 3235 and the updated Parachrom spring, what kind of magnetic resistance can we expect? Is it comparable to Omegas aging Si14 8500 movement?

Does it compare to the now discontinued Milgauss?
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 06:55 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apdl View Post
Hey All

Getting back in the the Rolex game and I am hearing about this small (lol) change to the 3235.

My current watch, Oris ProPilot has been magnetized a few times and other than the Milgauss, are the professional watches with the 3235 have anywhere near the same resistance with the new upgrades?

Between the new escapement of the 3235 and the updated Parachrom spring, what kind of magnetic resistance can we expect? Is it comparable to Omegas aging Si14 8500 movement?

Today like most modern day watches Rolex are made mainly from S.steel or precious metals and in conjunction with nickel, brass or beryllium, bronze or Glucydur balance wheels so they are very anti-magnetic to begin not sure if the screws used are ferrous metal.Myself worked in the Steel industry for almost 30 years working with and around very very powerful electromagnets capable of lifting 10-15 tones, plus lots computers in control centre. And I never ever had any problem with Rolex or any other mechanical watch getting magnetised. I used to work with and repair high powered radio transceivers but owing to poor health thats now on stand by, but they did put out a quite strong magnetic field again never had a problem with any Rolex oyster or any other mechanical watch getting magnetised.

And even the older Nivorax hairsprings used in most of the Swiss industry including Rolex for the past 50 years were very antimagnetic now according to Rolex the parachrom hairsprings are not magnetic,although there are other things in movement that could get magnetised, IMHO magnetised is often used as a cop out for just simple regulation but to demagnetise any watch is a very very very simple process to do.Even your own body puts out a magnetic field same for every electrical device in your home.Now anyone with any common brain sense grey matter would know never put any mechanical watch directly on any powerful magnet thats common sense as everyone should know.Today the Swiss standard test to be called anti-magnetic watches which most all Swiss watches are today, they have to pass a test including all Rolex.This is to withstand a strong magnetic field of 4800 Amps per meter,and to keeps on running with a maximum deviation of 15- 30 seconds per day.Now this test I am 100% sure that 99% of all watch wearers would never subject or come into contact with such a strong magnetic field so doubt any difference over the 32 series to 31 series..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 07:24 PM   #3
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's a really good question. I haven't seen any published study based on comparative measurements between different movements. Of course many people will have an opinion about this topic. I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex were researching watches that can work reliably in very high magnetic fields.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 01:29 AM   #4
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC
Actually 4,800 a/m is 60 gauss. That is not a lot. The METAS Omega watches withstand 15,000 gauss.
I have had modern Rolex watches slowly get magnetized but as said, easy to fix.

Ali
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 02:47 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post
Actually 4,800 a/m is 60 gauss. That is not a lot. The METAS Omega watches withstand 15,000 gauss.

Ali
But in the real world just like the extreme D/R on dive watches they will never be used by man or superman in water.Same for the 15000 gauss watches extremely doubtful if anyone would come into contact with that strong magnetic field.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 January 2024, 03:44 AM   #6
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Get a cheap EMF reader, you can get them for $10. Test out different materials to see what if anything will block a magnetic field, you will be disappointed.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 03:58 AM   #7
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
Quote:
What upside do you see?
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 04:02 AM   #8
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input
@padi56 I work with small neodymium magnets. Like you mention you would have to be an idiot to touch your watch with a magnet and I agree. However, accidents do happen and I have done it twice only realizing it after. Since, I have cleared my desk of magnetics but the fear is real.
Old 9 January 2024, 04:29 AM   #9
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Thank you all for the input
@padi56 I work with small neodymium magnets. Like you mention you would have to be an idiot to touch your watch with a magnet and I agree. However, accidents do happen and I have done it twice only realizing it after. Since, I have cleared my desk of magnetics but the fear is real.

You can buy a watch demagnetizer, on Amazon for $10.00.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 04:54 AM   #10
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
You can buy a watch demagnetizer, on Amazon for $10.00.

Kat

Yes! I have one and its worked okish from -60sec/day to -8sec/day mind you this is on an Oris (modified Sellita SW220-1) that was running about -2sec/day
Old 9 January 2024, 05:03 AM   #11
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC
Being a scientist, biochemist and person always testing things, I have a gauss meter. Sitting here the earth is giving me a 0.5 G reading. Computers, phones, speakers and a great many other things easily put out 4,800 a/m if you are right up to it. Distance matters as does the time of exposure. Since we are always moving, it would take more time and shorter distances to adversely effect your watch. The conclusion is: do not worry about it. And, if it happens, the fix is easy. Next topic...

Ali
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 05:32 AM   #12
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Yes! I have one and its worked okish from -60sec/day to -8sec/day mind you this is on an Oris (modified Sellita SW220-1) that was running about -2sec/day

I guess it’s not surprising that the watch movement won’t go back to its pre-magnetized accuracy. I have a Timegrapher, and periodically test the accuracy of my watches.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 05:44 AM   #13
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Everyone knows, all you need to do is drop your watch in a glass of water, magnets can’t work down there
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 05:52 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I guess it’s not surprising that the watch movement won’t go back to its pre-magnetized accuracy. I have a Timegrapher, and periodically test the accuracy of my watches.

Kat

Well Kat in well over 50 years of owning various Rolex watches some used and sometimes abused working a real tool watches.Never felt the need for timegraphers and never had a watch magnetised but must be honest never been anal in checking any of my watches to the exact second.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 January 2024, 06:11 AM   #15
Rollieboo69
"TRF" Member

What happens off you work near a MRI?
Rollieboo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 06:33 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieboo69 View Post
What happens off you work near a MRI?
You would use common sense and anyone working near any MRI machines would not be allowed to wear anything made from metal that could get magnetised.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 January 2024, 07:16 AM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

Ali
Great information
I always wondered how it equates but never pursued it and it explains and contextualises it when I see watches that are resistant up to 4,800 a/m(I have one as my dress watch).
Then we see how that compares with the modern Omega Co-axials.

From my own experience.
I unwittingly magnetised a freshly serviced Rolex with an early 3130 in it and a Nivarox Hair spring. The watch was running in an absolutely superb fashion until I was doing a deep Spring clean around the house and I moved a pair of loudspeakers which had fairly substantial drivers in them.
The exposure time wouldn't have been particularly long, but the watch must have been within range of and passed through the magnetic flux of the magnets and certainly long enough to magnetise the movement.
It wasn't until I looked at the time later in the day that it was many seconds fast.
All credit to Rolex and the dealer I work through, they sent it back to Rolex where they confirmed it was magnetised and simply degaussed it, then returned it free of charge. The round trip was interstate as well and it usually incurs a charge for handling whenever one sends a watch in for a quote for service.

It's the first and only time in my life that I have magnetised a watch and it highlights just how quickly and easily it can happen.

I do wonder how the early 3130 with the Nivarox Hair spring compares with the 3130 with a Parachrome Hair spring in terms of resistance to magnetism
Of course Rolex says it's an improvement, as one would naturally expect.
I'm not so sure a late 31xx movement with the Parachrome Hair spring would be any different to any 32xx movement that's fitted with the same type of Hair spring.

The important thing to note in this, is the fact that there is likely to be a considerable difference between an early 31xx movement with the Nivarox Hair spring and the later 31xx movement with a Parachrome Hair spring.
It's one major reason why I have late 31xx movements based on my previous experience with magnetism.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 07:24 AM   #18
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
Everyone knows, all you need to do is drop your watch in a glass of water, magnets can’t work down there
Like a limpet mine?
Old 9 January 2024, 07:31 AM   #19
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Good topic.
There shouldn’t be any teething issues after almost 7 years since the introduction of the new caliber. Only upsides
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 07:34 AM   #20
Bregow
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ali
How do you fix it?
Bregow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 12:11 PM   #21
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post

Good topic.
There shouldn’t be any teething issues after almost 7 years since the introduction of the new caliber. Only upsides

Excellent topic and good contributions with plenty to chew on

Regarding the teething issues.
There has to be teeth to start with. At least something other than at the say so of the marketing men.
Perhaps we are looking at the first "Rolex toothless tiger"
Old 9 January 2024, 12:14 PM   #22
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregow View Post
How do you fix it?
It's very simple with a degausser.
They can be purchased online for a relatively small sum of money and anyone can basically do it
If I recall correctly. The official Rolex service procedure states that degaussing should be performed at the start of the process.
It makes sense really