The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2024, 05:35 AM   #1
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Weird RSC rule or not?

I had my oyster bracelet off of my YM 40 for the summer, and was placing it back on. I made a stupid mistake and took the clasp apart, and when re-assembling it, put the folding clasp on incorrectly and got it jammed. Dumb move for sure. I take the bracelet in to the AD. A week later he calls and states the Rolex demands that I send the watch in with the bracelet in order for them to repair it.

I really see no need for this, as I have read stories here about watches coming back from RSC scratched, or otherwise damaged. AD also thinks its strange. Thinking about retrieving the bracelet and just sending it to Rolliworks. Watch is 2 years old and does not need service. Just needs to be unjammed, and I did not want to force it and cause real damage. Is this normal for Rolex to require the watch to fix a bracelet?
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 05:47 AM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I can see why they would want to get it....

Probably confirm the bracelet doesn't belong to a head that has been reported stolen or something similar?

If you're sending it in, just document everything that is on the head, scratches, no scratches... whatever.

They may want to also do it free of charge. I've walked into RSC NYC and they have done me some pretty good solids.
Old 10 January 2024, 05:58 AM   #3
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Weird RSC rule or not?

Did you show them your warranty card? Maybe it’s as simple as they want to reattach the bracelet, for you, so it’s done correctly. I’d send it in.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 07:11 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Take it to an AD with a decent watchmaker and let them fix it. If they cannot fix it, the clasp was damaged and may need to be replaced. If nothing is broken, it is just removing some screws and assembling correctly.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 07:32 AM   #5
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Thinking about retrieving the bracelet and just sending it to Rolliworks.
Please do this. Save your lugs.
Old 10 January 2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
I had my oyster bracelet off of my YM 40 for the summer, and was placing it back on. I made a stupid mistake and took the clasp apart, and when re-assembling it, put the folding clasp on incorrectly and got it jammed. Dumb move for sure. I take the bracelet in to the AD. A week later he calls and states the Rolex demands that I send the watch in with the bracelet in order for them to repair it.

I really see no need for this, as I have read stories here about watches coming back from RSC scratched, or otherwise damaged. AD also thinks its strange. Thinking about retrieving the bracelet and just sending it to Rolliworks. Watch is 2 years old and does not need service. Just needs to be unjammed, and I did not want to force it and cause real damage. Is this normal for Rolex to require the watch to fix a bracelet?
Cut the Ad out and deal with RSC directly. Or cut all them out and use Rolliworks
Old 10 January 2024, 08:01 AM   #7
Insert User Name
"TRF" Member

Can you post a pic...can't imagine someone here can't tell you to fix/unjam it.
Insert User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 08:50 AM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert User Name View Post
This. I can’t even visualize what you’re describing. Unless you’ve broken something it shouldn’t be hard to undo.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 08:56 AM   #9
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

If you look at it from their perspective of brand control, it's not a weird rule. People playing games caused that.

From a user perspective such as you or me, it sounds silly. It makes no sense as only the bracelet needs work.

As many have mentioned, a local watchmaker can probably solve it. Consider finding an AD with a CW21 watchmaker - they'll have parts if needed. And probably be less expensive, stress-free, and one step closer to getting something on your list.
WatchGuy1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 08:57 AM   #10
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Watch being two years old I'm guessing still under warranty? If this is the case Rolex will not do anything with a watch under warranty unless it is completely intact.
Kap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:19 AM   #11
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap007 View Post
Watch being two years old I'm guessing still under warranty? If this is the case Rolex will not do anything with a watch under warranty unless it is completely intact.

True, but wouldn’t he have to pay for this damage he caused? So, that rule would not apply, as the warranty does not apply here.

Kat

Old 10 January 2024, 10:44 AM   #12
Robison347
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue dial sub
I had a similar problem with my wife’s Patek and they insisted on having it sent in, and when I went to retrieve it there was no charge and they told me that should not have happened to the bracelet. There was nothing funny about it at all.

That was at Henri Stern in Manhattan
Robison347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 11:03 AM   #13
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
True, but wouldn’t he have to pay for this damage he caused? So, that rule would not apply, as the warranty does not apply here.

Kat

It's entirely likely they'll find a reason to void his warranty. Ask me how I know.
Old 10 January 2024, 11:04 AM   #14
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
It's entirely likely they'll find a reason to void his warranty. Ask me how I know.

In that case, he should snatch it back, and send it to Rolliworks.

Kat

Old 10 January 2024, 11:20 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Id also like to see a picture of this.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 11:46 AM   #16
GST15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert User Name View Post
I will when I get it from AD
Old 10 January 2024, 11:49 AM   #17
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Id also like to see a picture of this.

Me, too, Brian. It’s hard to imagine, that it couldn’t be easily sorted out. I think I installed a clasp backwards, once. Easy fix, after I called myself a dummy….

Kat

Old 10 January 2024, 11:52 AM   #18
GST15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap007 View Post
I get that, but not asking for warranty work, since I made the mistake
Old 10 January 2024, 11:57 AM   #19
GST15
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm going to pick it up from AD tomorrow, or drop off the watch for them to send in. I did call Rolliworks today. I'm thinking of dropping it off with them before I leave for a cruise, and picking it up a few weeks later on my way home. Again, thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted
Old 10 January 2024, 12:01 PM   #20
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm going to pick it up from AD tomorrow, or drop off the watch for them to send in. I did call Rolliworks today. I'm thinking of dropping it off with them before I leave for a cruise, and picking it up a few weeks later on my way home. Again, thanks for your help. I'll keep you posted

Smart man
Old 10 January 2024, 03:15 PM   #21
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are a few of us that have had bad luck with Rolliworks. Ironically, it involved a bracelet.

Granted, a lot more people have positive experiences.

Yet I've never heard of anyone having bad luck w/ LA Watch Works. Consider them as well.
WatchGuy1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 03:44 PM   #22
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

use rolliworks. They are better than RSC
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 03:51 PM   #23
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Would sure like to see a picture of the damage. I still think there’s a chance that someone here can tell you how to fix it yourself.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 09:12 PM   #24
RichardF
"TRF" Member

I worked for a certified Rolex dealer, this is a normal request. Rolex will install the new band and send you the old band back with the watch. (This is the only part they will send back if asked)
The bottom line is Rolex had to change the way it has done business over the years because of so many people doing all kinds of different things to get over them.
If any of you out there were collecting, buying, trading, selling and or working on Rolex watches back in the 80’s and 90’s like I did you would understand. It was so easy to buy OEM Rolex parts except for dials, and cases you wouldn’t believe it. I remember getting the yellow notice in early 1990 stating we could no longer order OEM parts anymore at the local watch maker suppliers because they could not order them either. Only the guys that had an Official Rolex Cert could order parts from Rolex. That was the beginning of the drying up of Rolex OEM parts and Rolex taking control of their brand.

Quote:

RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote