The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 December 2019, 08:10 AM   #31
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Rolex owners that are concerned with scratches to the point of plastic wrap are financially in over their heads.
Old 22 December 2019, 08:16 AM   #32
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It's no joke OP, people really buy this
Old 22 December 2019, 08:32 AM   #33
smym18
"TRF" Member

$88
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 09:32 AM   #34
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
There are people wearing their rolex with the bezel protector on, so I would not be surprised that this company is making good business with their customized plastic wraps.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 09:39 AM   #35
Muxi
"TRF" Member

For some people I suppose it’s a process dealing with OCD or other issues. I used to keep some stickers on for a while until I made peace with removing them. It’s probably like the fear of writing checks for higher and higher amounts of cash for a watch. Some people start with 10, 20 and 30 then slowly jump to 50. Buying those 100k watches don’t happen overnight.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 09:40 AM   #36
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Mr Robotto
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 09:43 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
To each his own.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 10:00 AM   #38
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
The car = watch analogy is a horrible one, naive at best.

Rolex owners that are concerned with scratches to the point of plastic wrap are financially in over their heads.

I wish people would buy and enjoy what they can afford.

Funny how your judgement automatically correlates people who are concerned with scratches to the point of plastic wrap are "financially over their heads." THAT seems "naive at best" to me and that's a f###ing understatement.

Plastic wrap on my vehicles or my watches isn't for me and this is a great place for discussion, but why would you somehow come to the conclusion that people who are concerned about protective plastic can't afford the watch(es) they're wearing?

Life's too short to be a judgmental prick, dude. Get over yourself.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 10:38 AM   #39
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
Funny how your judgement automatically correlates people who are concerned with scratches to the point of plastic wrap are "financially over their heads." THAT seems "naive at best" to me and that's a f###ing understatement.

Plastic wrap on my vehicles or my watches isn't for me and this is a great place for discussion, but why would you somehow come to the conclusion that people who are concerned about protective plastic can't afford the watch(es) they're wearing?

The website says “Help protect your investment” ...and my comment is, if you are worried about protecting your investment with plastic wrap, you are in over your head.

The product is injecting the financial aspect.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 10:51 AM   #40
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The website says “Help protect your investment” ...and my comment is, if you are worried about protecting your investment with plastic wrap, you are in over your head.
Exactly my point. As I said, life is too short to be a judgemental prick so get over yourself.
Old 22 December 2019, 10:58 AM   #41
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db7566 View Post
Just got an 114060. First watch over 5 hundred dollars. Scratches on bracelets have never bothered me but the glass always has. Never owned a quality crystal before so not sure how much more durable it is but I could see myself putting film on the crystal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats on the Sub!!!
You'll love it.
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 10:58 AM   #42
getting started
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 126610 LN
My bimmer is wrapped my Rolex is not...
getting started is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 11:05 AM   #43
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I would love to see the owner present this idea on the tv show Shark Tank !!
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 11:27 AM   #44
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
I would love to see the owner present this idea on the tv show Shark Tank !!
O'Leary would probably fall on his knees hearing the owner pitch, he only collects watches as an investment
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 12:00 PM   #45
kyo86sg
"TRF" Member

Why on the grace of the watch gods, do you need to buy a $88+ sticker for your watch? Wear it and enjoy it and not to worry about scratches, its part and parcel of owning a watch.
kyo86sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 12:00 PM   #46
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree. I would never, for any reason, second-guess the financial capacity of any member in this forum. I know someone who keeps stickers on his watches but would gift $70k watches and cars during birthdays etc.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 01:32 PM   #47
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I get that some people may have the fear losing value that you suggest but it’s a huge stretch to make a general assumption about everyone who might go in for this sort of thing.

As far as PPF goes, assuming you don’t have the whole car wrapped you’re fighting a losing battle: the elements are going to chip, fade and degrade your paint over time regardless. Indeed PPF doesn’t even prevent all stone chips, the larger ones will pierce it.

We will probably have to agree to disagree on this one.
I agree with you on all points. What people do with/to their watch is their own business. The same people who say “don’t let your watch wear you” have criticized me for wearing my GMT while mountainbiking.
I can’t stand the look of film on cars. I had it on one new car over a decade
ago and never again. One of the two McLaren F1’s in my city actually gets driven regularly. It has no film on it and its front end is peppered with rock chips. It’s worth in the $18-20M range.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 02:16 PM   #48
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly my point. As I said, life is too short to be a judgemental prick so get over yourself.
What is your point? I missed it.
Old 22 December 2019, 03:19 PM   #49
Rollied
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethiscity View Post
I just don’t understand the stuff. Just one example for me is I swim four times a week (never take my watch off) can you imagine how cheap and disgusting this stuff would make my watches feel after normal use. So now I wrap it in this stuff and I have a sports watch I can’t do sports in? That’s where I (personally of course!) draw the line and call total madness
I think the people who are putting these plastic protective films on their watches would probably not go swimming with their watches to begin with, so....
Rollied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 03:33 PM   #50
nuts070
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I may be mistaken but I imagine the statement is in reference to people who should be directing their finances to securing additional capital but instead splurge on luxury goods that they really couldn’t afford to begin with.

This typically results in not being able to truly enjoy the watch as the resale value becomes a major concern. The focus then shifts to keeping the watch pristine by keeping it in a safe, admiring it in a glass box, wearing it sparingly, wearing it with a band that has a clear protective window, applying protective film.
Still, your argument is non sequitur...
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 04:05 PM   #51
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts070 View Post
Still, your argument is non sequitur...

If you say so
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 04:26 PM   #52
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What is your point? I missed it.
My point was rather direct. Having an opinion on if someone uses a plastic cover or scotch tape for that matter is awesome and this is a great place to discuss it. I’m not a fan of even leaving my stickers on before I leave my AD, but to each his/her own. Whatever floats your boat.

That being said, any human being that blatantly judges another human being’s financial situation and/or his/her financial decisions by saying a person is “financially over their head” based solely on if they choose to cover a Rolex, AP, Timex, or Cracker Jack watch is a judgemental prick and life is way too short to have that attitude towards another human being over something so inconsequential. Especially, when this judgemental prick knows nothing about the other human being’s situation (past and/or present) other than a transparent piece of material that has zero bearing on anything. That was my very direct point.....for the 3rd time.

Hope that helps and have a great weekend!
Old 22 December 2019, 04:29 PM   #53
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My point was rather direct. Having an opinion on if someone uses a plastic cover or scotch tape for that matter is awesome and this is a great place to discuss it. I’m not a fan of even leaving my stickers on before I leave my AD, but to each his/her own. Whatever floats your boat.

That being said, any human being that blatantly judges another human being’s financial situation and/or his/her financial decisions by saying a person is “financially over their head” based solely on if they choose to cover a Rolex, AP, Timex, or Cracker Jack watch is a judgemental prick and life is way too short to have that attitude towards another human being over something so inconsequential. Especially, when this judgemental prick knows nothing about the other human being’s situation (past and/or present) other than a transparent piece of material that has zero bearing on anything. That was direct point.....for the 3rd time.

Old 22 December 2019, 10:51 PM   #54
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

There is zero chance I’d have the patience or the skill to apply those stickers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 11:35 PM   #55
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Notice the majority of their products are for Rolex... What does that say about the Rolex owners at large?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 11:39 PM   #56
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
The scratches don't bother me on a brushed bracelet but would drive me insane on a PCL one but that's why I won't buy a watch with PCL's

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 12:55 AM   #57
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That being said, any human being that blatantly judges another human being’s financial situation and/or his/her financial decisions by saying a person is “financially over their head” based solely on if they choose to cover a Rolex, AP, Timex, or Cracker Jack watch is a judgemental prick and life is way too short to have that attitude towards another human being over something so inconsequential. Especially, when this judgemental prick knows nothing about the other human being’s situation (past and/or present) other than a transparent piece of material that has zero bearing on anything. That was my very direct point.....for the 3rd time.

I think it is clear by the name calling, you are not interested in discussing the product or topic, and I think technically you are judging me ...in post about judgement.

I think the broader topic is the discussion of whether a Rolex can be/should be an investment. The protective film, advertised as "Protect your Investment" is part and parcel to the debate/discussion of whether one can invest in watches and what appreciation or depreciation one might expect.

The other ironic part about your judgmental comment is that it seems you have not clicked the website link.

The website states "Wear-and-tear is one of the biggest causes for depreciation of your investment. Styx Watch Protection safeguards the value of your prized possession for years to come. "

I am reacting to the financial aspect of the "Is Rolex an Investment" discussion and to the will this product/film "Protect my Investment".

I think your point is, it is none of my business how people enjoy their watches, and one can not/should not infer a person's financial situation based on their decisions...to each their own.

The problem is that you are trying to take the financial aspect out of a product that has self-identified Rolex/watches as an investment, and claimed to protect value retention based on the usage of the film.

Anyone who has been around the hobby knows that the economic status of the markets have a far greater impact on the price/value of watches. You can have box and papers, new-old stock, original coffin, hanging tag, AD's diet coke, but if everyone is broke, a clear film on your watch is not protecting you...at all.

This is how people end up at: enjoy your watches, and forget about value, as it is out of your control. Now if you want people to sit back and give bad advice, and watch fellow enthusiasts take a bath on 'can't lose' Rolex 'investments' with a facade of 'investment protection', then I guess...to each their own.
Old 23 December 2019, 02:00 AM   #58
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollied View Post
I think the people who are putting these plastic protective films on their watches would probably not go swimming with their watches to begin with, so....
Fair point indeed. Still a bit mad if you can’t get em wet I say!
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 12:26 PM   #59
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
To each their own. I don't have any stickers on my watches as scratches don't bother me much.

I had clear protective film installed on my car before. It was a pain to maintain and you can't just polish it like a clear coat. 4 years later it looked like crap so I decided to just get rid of it.

The only protective thing I'll use now is one of those glass screen protectors for my phone. It's saved my iphone screen from cracks on several occasions.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 12:54 PM   #60
schonauerd
Banned

Good idea! I’m going to buy this for some of my watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schonauerd is offline   Reply With Quote