The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2017, 06:04 AM   #91
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I've had . . . the one's I can remember

176 (twice!)
183 G

eventually sold them all. For some weird reason I'd still probably say Panerai is my favourite brand, if I were asked.

Got fed up with the size eventually and also some of the watering down of the brand and their design decisions. (Understandable for a viable business)

I probably would only consider a 512 now for the right price.

A couple of my favourites . . . god dam I miss the strap changing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3219.jpg (131.3 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0332.jpg (93.4 KB, 513 views)
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 01:06 PM   #92
Preeble
"TRF" Member

Had my first Rolex (coke) before being bit hard by the Panerai bug (first was an 88). What actually brought me back to Rolex ironically was reading about Panerai’s history. I think these two brands complement each other nicely and I enjoy following/reading about both - both brands also have vibrant communities that enjoy watch talk.
Misc: Omega SMP 2296.80.00, Kobold Seal Tactical, B&R BR02, C&S Buceador
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 02:26 AM   #93
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
I have a PAM422 - really fell for the domed crystal, manual wind with 3 day power reserve on back preserving the clean sandwich dial. Very different dive watch in collection - never got to wet though:), great piece to play with after market straps. More of a casual watch - wear it on Fridays in the office sometimes, but mostly with flip flops on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 04:21 PM   #94
Regardless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I just acquired my first rolex less than a month ago, but had worn Panerai to work for several years now. Depends on the model you would wear, but I think Panerais work great with smart casual attire.

I actually have the 233 that you're considering. It's a favorite for many. Put on a black alligator and it looks great on a suit, put on any other strap and it works with smart casual. I also had the 372, and have a 329 (bracelet model) as well. They all work great for smart to business casual. Just really depends on the strap you match them up with.

*Edit - I see OP has gotten the 233, congrats!
Regardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 05:20 PM   #95
Betta01
"TRF" Member

Me..2 Rolex Daytona n a 10yrs old Pam 213

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 06:16 PM   #96
kn_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex/Pam
Love my PAM24, as well as my Rolex watches.

IG: @kn_watches
kn_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 09:25 PM   #97
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (276.9 KB, 441 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 10:17 PM   #98
OpulenTimepieces
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot Big Bang SS
I'll be honest... just starting to build my collection but have a 2 tone Datejust 34 mm (my first ever watch given as a birthday gift) and now I have the Rolex and a PAM 213 Rattrapante

OpulenTimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 11:55 PM   #99
moorery2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Love Panerai. Fit and finish and build quality is impeccable. The strap changing always gives it a new look.

I really like this look, good job!
moorery2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 02:59 AM   #100
luvan12
"TRF" Member

I have never owned one but lately I've been thinking about buying one.

Don't have much experience with them so I would have to do some research on them
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 04:02 AM   #101
HOHO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Blue
I have owned a 359, 437 and a 441 but moved them all to freshen up the collection.

I have a 346 on the way as we speak!
HOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 06:05 AM   #102
GT500
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I have only 5

Please don't sneeze lol
GT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 11:40 AM   #103
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Five for me as well....(so far)....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watches-13.jpg (228.5 KB, 415 views)
Old 4 November 2017, 12:12 PM   #104
Cigarlvr07
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I still have the following PAMS 448,000,380, 127 and 422 and to be honest nothing gets the wrist time like my Rolex watches. I use my Pam’s like dress watches even though they are built like tanks they do scratch with the shinny surfaces and the reason we love them being big. I am a picky collector so would drive me nuts if I didn’t keep them that way. Mater of fact the 448 I haven’t been able to wear and still new in the safe again I feel to dressy for every day use.With that said they are fantastic watches
Cigarlvr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 12:38 AM   #105
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD.Daytona.SD.Subs
I have always been a rolex guy, and picked up a few Panerai when they got popular from around 2004-2007. I owned a 183 Black Seal, 196 Daylight, 127 (1950) 190 Black Seal 8 Days and Pam 24 Sub... Over the years traded them all back up for Rolex.

Currently I own a DayDate, and DSSD.
I recently caught the Panerai bug again.
Been looking for a nice Pam Sub. Picked up a beituful Pam 243. Kinda the super sub. Great price from Patrick. Also just ordered a Pam 561, OTW from Patrick OCROLEXGUY
Love the clean white look of the 561. So I have an auto with the 243 and 8 day winder with the 561. Best of both worlds with Panerai... Auto and Winder....

And here is incoming :

DarthSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 05:48 AM   #106
Octaviancb
"TRF" Member

I'm a big guy (6'6 270) and for me, I kinda need to have a relatively large watch on my wrist. What kept me away from the Sub was that it just looked almost dainty. Then I came across and bought the DSSD (on my wrist, it looks like a Sub on most other people's) and i like it better than the 43 SD. That said, I also have a PAM 422 on a dark walnut croc strap with pseudo-patina stitching to match the sandwich dial. It doesn't get that much wrist time in the warmer months, but now that it is getting cold, i'm wearing more often. And the way the light bends on the domed crystal against the rose gold hands looks amazing. Its like they are floating and that is something that always makes me smile.
Octaviancb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 05:51 AM   #107
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Pam 312
Old 13 November 2017, 09:16 PM   #108
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Of course. PAM 504 composite. Don't think this one was such great success for Panerai but i am very happy with the watch and love how it looks. It's also a great counterpoint to most of my other watches.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 10:10 PM   #109
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaviancb View Post
I'm a big guy (6'6 270) and for me, I kinda need to have a relatively large watch on my wrist. What kept me away from the Sub was that it just looked almost dainty. Then I came across and bought the DSSD (on my wrist, it looks like a Sub on most other people's) and i like it better than the 43 SD. That said, I also have a PAM 422 on a dark walnut croc strap with pseudo-patina stitching to match the sandwich dial. It doesn't get that much wrist time in the warmer months, but now that it is getting cold, i'm wearing more often. And the way the light bends on the domed crystal against the rose gold hands looks amazing. Its like they are floating and that is something that always makes me smile.
Welcome aboard and I know the feeling you're describing
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:13 AM   #110
ryanm
Banned

Watch: Rolex IWC Panerai
Also a 312 and 505 owner, both great....although currently trying to sell the 312
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:49 PM   #111
sdimi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
I originally bought a 40mm PAM 48 in the early 2000s as my first non-beater watch. Since then I've flipped a large number of 44mm PAMs, but still wear my original one in rotation with my Pepsi GMT several times a week.

The 40mm ones may not be popular on some forums, but in real life its nice to have a cool watch that fits perfectly. I agree with the notion that PAM is the ultimate strap watch, while Rolex is my favorite bracelet watch.
I agree. I purchased a PAM310 (40mm) in 2010. I've since purchased a bunch or Rolex's but the 310 still gets wrist time on rotation. I like that it's substantially different from a Rolex and looks good on rubber or leather. I like the Rolex's on their bracelets.
sdimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:00 PM   #112
josephvman
Banned

I saw a print ad for Panerai back in '97 or '98, and read up on the history of the company and was intrigued. At that time I believe there was only one dealer in the country, Chatel & Co. in Carmel, CA. As I recall there were only a handful of models, Luminor Base and Marina's with either black or white dials, a GMT, a Submersible that you could get in either steel or titanium, a Radiomir, and a chrono with an odd case shape (not a Luminor or cushion style case). I called Chatel and ordered a PAM63 , the GMT (numerals painted on the bezel and a black tapestry dial, gorgeous!), and I think I paid well under $2k for it back then!

I got a lot of comments on that watch, mostly about the size, which was only 44mm but that wasn't common twenty years ago. I alternated that watch with a vintage 5513, and ended up trading it for a titanium Panerai submersible, and also got a 40mm PAM on a bracelet (don't recall the reference, but it had a stunning blue dial). I added a few others, and when the PAM127 was announced I was able to place a deposit and get one of those. The brand was still an up-and-comer at that point, but the Paneristi website was going full-force and they seemed to get sort of collectible very quickly. I rarely wore the 127, as the 47mm was just way to big for me to pull off, and a few years later eventually sold it for nearly three times what I paid for it, which was shocking. At that time I realized that my favorite Panerai was the classic black dial Luminor Marina handwind, and bought a PAM111 the first year it was available, an E-series. It's just the essence of the brand, and the PAM that I saw in the original print ad that got me interested.

I still have that watch, but rarely wear it now, as I've really come back to collecting Rolex's and Tudors, with a Patek and Omega or two. I've not paid attention to the recent Panerai offerings over the past 5-6 years, as their collection has just gotten way too big with too many special editions (trying to out-Hublot Hublot!). Frankly the exploding popularity of the brand really began to turn me off, as I saw more and more of them on the wrists of guys who knew absolutely nothing about watches or the history of the brand. A couple of friends have recently bought new models that are part of their historic line, and seeing them on the wrist has re-engaged my interest a bit. Now I'm looking at something with the 1950 case, probably an 8-day GMT. I rarely check in on this forum, but I've definitely got the bug!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 09:08 AM   #113
WatchObsess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I saw a print ad for Panerai back in '97 or '98, and read up on the history of the company and was intrigued. At that time I believe there was only one dealer in the country, Chatel & Co. in Carmel, CA. As I recall there were only a handful of models, Luminor Base and Marina's with either black or white dials, a GMT, a Submersible that you could get in either steel or titanium, a Radiomir, and a chrono with an odd case shape (not a Luminor or cushion style case). I called Chatel and ordered a PAM63 , the GMT (numerals painted on the bezel and a black tapestry dial, gorgeous!), and I think I paid well under $2k for it back then!

I got a lot of comments on that watch, mostly about the size, which was only 44mm but that wasn't common twenty years ago. I alternated that watch with a vintage 5513, and ended up trading it for a titanium Panerai submersible, and also got a 40mm PAM on a bracelet (don't recall the reference, but it had a stunning blue dial). I added a few others, and when the PAM127 was announced I was able to place a deposit and get one of those. The brand was still an up-and-comer at that point, but the Paneristi website was going full-force and they seemed to get sort of collectible very quickly. I rarely wore the 127, as the 47mm was just way to big for me to pull off, and a few years later eventually sold it for nearly three times what I paid for it, which was shocking. At that time I realized that my favorite Panerai was the classic black dial Luminor Marina handwind, and bought a PAM111 the first year it was available, an E-series. It's just the essence of the brand, and the PAM that I saw in the original print ad that got me interested.

I still have that watch, but rarely wear it now, as I've really come back to collecting Rolex's and Tudors, with a Patek and Omega or two. I've not paid attention to the recent Panerai offerings over the past 5-6 years, as their collection has just gotten way too big with too many special editions (trying to out-Hublot Hublot!). Frankly the exploding popularity of the brand really began to turn me off, as I saw more and more of them on the wrists of guys who knew absolutely nothing about watches or the history of the brand. A couple of friends have recently bought new models that are part of their historic line, and seeing them on the wrist has re-engaged my interest a bit. Now I'm looking at something with the 1950 case, probably an 8-day GMT. I rarely check in on this forum, but I've definitely got the bug!
Great story man! You came a long way lol! Hope you will find satisfaction in rediscovering Panerai. For me it's a bit the same as I went over most brands and find Panerai suits me the best.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
WatchObsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 07:41 PM   #114
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
I have always been a rolex guy, and picked up a few Panerai when they got popular from around 2004-2007. I owned a 183 Black Seal, 196 Daylight, 127 (1950) 190 Black Seal 8 Days and Pam 24 Sub... Over the years traded them all back up for Rolex.

Been looking for a nice Pam Sub. Picked up a beituful Pam 243. Kinda the super sub. Great price from Patrick. Also just ordered a Pam 561, OTW from Patrick OCROLEXGUY
Love the clean white look of the 561. So I have an auto with the 243 and 8 day winder with the 561. Best of both worlds with Panerai... Auto and Winder....

And here is incoming :

I have 561 too as my one a only Panerai. I like variety so I enjoy Rolex, IWC, Breitling and other brands.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:42 AM   #115
tegee26
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post

And here is incoming :

Love your Panerai timepieces and sweet saltwater reef tank in the background, which is my true hobby outside of collecting watches.

ATB
tegee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 06:48 AM   #116
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
I started with Panerai before making my way over to Rolex. I've always loved the unique style/look of the brand and the strap culture is fun. I started with a 112, then onto a 233, and now landed on a 372. The 372 checks all the right boxes for me and probably be the only Panerai I need for the time being. Sometimes I wish it was 44mm but I guess a little 47mm from time to time never hurt anybody

Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 05:00 PM   #117
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have just noticed 561 pic above being on a watch winder? 561 is a manual wind watch...
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 09:45 PM   #118
azcii
"TRF" Member

I did own a Milgauss and a Hulk, but sold both. Now I'm a full time Panerista.
azcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 12:16 AM   #119
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Count me in on that one!! I feel they are definitely on par with one another.
paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2018, 08:28 AM   #120
cfoxtrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Add one more to the tally. First Panerai is en route.
cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote