The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 November 2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Bideez
"TRF" Member

Certificate advise on a GMT 1982

Wondered if any of you guys could answer a question. During the 80's would rolex have issued a Garantie for a GMT that was standard and not of COSC certificate ?

The reason I ask is that I have recently acquired a beautiful GMT root beer with box and papers. All looks and feels right, the watch and numbers match the certificate and the certificate is stamped from the retailer which also matches the stamp on the booklet but its a standard Garantie and not a COSC certificate which one would normally expect with a GMT.
I even contacted the original retailer that still exists and they confirmed they would have retailed said watch.
I am aware that lots of anomalies exist and guarantees and attention to detail were not as they are now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Bideez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 07:07 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideez View Post
Wondered if any of you guys could answer a question. During the 80's would rolex have issued a Garantie for a GMT that was standard and not of COSC certificate ?

The reason I ask is that I have recently acquired a beautiful GMT root beer with box and papers. All looks and feels right, the watch and numbers match the certificate and the certificate is stamped from the retailer which also matches the stamp on the booklet but its a standard Garantie and not a COSC certificate which one would normally expect with a GMT.
I even contacted the original retailer that still exists and they confirmed they would have retailed said watch.
I am aware that lots of anomalies exist and guarantees and attention to detail were not as they are now.

It was from the late 1960 early 1970s that the written COSC certificate was stopped. Certification is on the dial and on the red plastic tag that originally came with that watch expect the red tag was lost and of no real importance today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideez View Post

Yes.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Bideez
"TRF" Member

Much appreciated, thanks
Old 23 November 2017, 05:23 PM   #5
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I was working for an AD at the beginning of the 80s and all Rolex Certificates where without a separate COSC paper.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
There used to be two separate warranty types for watches without COSC certification (like the Sub 5513) and ones with COSC certification (most other models). Is that what you're referring to?

Two examples just grabbed from the web, one in English, one in French, but you get the idea.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 12:02 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
In answer to the question, chronometer watches came with a chronometer certificate with both the Garantie at the top and the chronometer certification at the bottom.

During the 1980s, receiving a paper with the Garantie only for a GMT 1675 or 16753 is not common or normal.

Place a good photo of it here, to include both the front and the back. Make sure the document number is visible in the lower right corner so the paper can be dated.

I'd like to see the paper.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 02:05 AM   #8
Bideez
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this.
Enclosed are some pics of my root beer. I have been advised that around this time written warranty papers (non COSC) were sometimes used but would like some clarification.
The watch is correct (inspected AD) and I have also contacted the store that is stamped on the receipt book and Garantie and although they changed the name they confirmed that the watch would have come from them.
I just wondered if the watch would have had a COSC receipt as well. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (113.0 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5899.JPG (125.1 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5900.JPG (70.0 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5901.JPG (97.6 KB, 273 views)
Old 12 December 2017, 02:08 AM   #9
Bideez
"TRF" Member

further pic
Old 12 December 2017, 02:11 AM   #10
Bideez
"TRF" Member

close up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5902.JPG (116.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 12 December 2017, 07:01 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The document number - 572.02.100 - is correct for a watch sold during the time frame for the given serial number of 7230717.

The punched number 0000160 is a country code given as Great Britain (as found on several resources documenting country codes).

Lastly, it is not uncommon to find hand written warranty or warranty/COSC documents from the 1970s and 1980s. Occasionally you will find a hand written garantie document with a GMT or other COSC certified watch. These documents were a formality back then, simply a warranty document like any other warranty document included with a purchase - whether back then or today. Due to the collect-ability of vintage Rolex, collectors have placed added values on accessories and original warranty papers which are highly coveted by most collectors today.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:53 PM   #12
Bideez
"TRF" Member

Thank you,

This has been really helpful. I purchased the watch a few months back and love it! having a full set is a real bonus too.

Thanks again for your time
Old 13 December 2017, 06:51 AM   #13
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
I’m looking for a rootbeer may I ask you how much you have paid for the rootbeer.
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 10:05 PM   #14
Bideez
"TRF" Member

Hi
I'd rather not say how much I paid as I may sell at some point :-).

They range considerably in price. £6-£8k without box and papers , Ive seen them between 8-12k with box and papers.

Hope this helps