The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 April 2009, 03:08 AM   #91
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Green is just not my colour and 40mm is too small.

Green is my lucky colour, when it first came out i had to get one

The 40mm is small compared to Panerai, but with the maxi dial it has a feel of a bigger watch over the standard submariner, hopefully next year we'll see a 42mm submariner hitting the shops

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 03:19 AM   #92
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
I think the new Submariner is still 40mm, right?
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 05:01 PM   #93
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Hey Heru Thats just fine with me :) Your my friend for who you are not what watch you prefer! And always will be:thu mbsup::agr ee:
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 05:30 PM   #94
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Hey Heru Thats just fine with me :) Your my friend for who you are not what watch you prefer! And always will be:thu mbsup::agr ee:
Thanks Brotha!!!
Still waiting here, you will join us soon...
Old 30 April 2009, 06:06 PM   #95
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
So help me out guys, what's the deal w/ PAM's and brushed cases (or lack thereof)? I'll admit I don't know a lot about specific models, but every time I see one that interests me it appears to be a high polished case which makes me quickly move on. Just like Breitling, there seems to be a lot of models I would consider until I see the high polished cases...sorry guys, I'm just not a fan of that look. Are there brushed examples to consider?

I guess I'm happy to finally find a watch (DSSD) that stopped my constant looking at other watches. Like pretty much 99% of WIS, I seemed to constantly be looking for another watch. No sooner than I strapped a new one on my wrist, within no time the honeymoon was over and I had to keep looking. I can honestly say my DS has answered the call of everything I love in watches. I don't really envy those out there that are buying new watches and yet seem to be looking for another before they even get a chance to take off the protective plastic. For some reason that seems to be the case with most PAN owners. Is that suppose to be a good thing?

To those that say Rolex hasn't really offered anything amazing w/ the 'limited' upgrades, I say not so. The modern PAN's we're talking about here are unique and provide some fresh ideas, but I wouldn't say Rolex has watched PAN's growth over the years and not answered the call.

While I don't particularly like a lot of the new Rolex designs with regard to looks/fashion statement, I say Rolex has made GREAT advances that started with the GMT-IIC and has continued with the DS & new Sub. PAN is a different beast all itself, but Rolex has stepped up its game significantly and I personally believe we as Rolex lovers have companies like Panerai to thank.

Take the DS for example & compare it to the old SD or Sub. While I love the classic Sub, like most of you PAN fans, I longed for something a little larger than 40mm. At 43mm the DS fit the bill perfectly. I've owned watches from 45-48mm and while they are interesting, after a while I will admit anything over 44mm seems to grow old. +1 to Rolex on the perfect size.

While some might not prefer the new ceramic bezel, I love them. I can attest to the fact that they handle hits & abuse EXTREMELY well. Just ask one door jam in my house, a vintage car's metal bumper that was getting polished in my driveway and (believe it or not) a chipped plate while doing dishes. All took some abuse from the ceramic bezel, yet the bezel looks as good as day one. +2 to Rolex on a ridiculously tough material.

Lets not forget about the new ball bearings of the bezel. I use to laugh when I took the bezel off of my LV and saw the tiny metal 'pin' that kept the bezel from turning clockwise. What a joke IMO...the feel and construction of the new design is simply amazing. +3 to Rolex on a superb mechanical improvement.

In my eyes, the DS's domed crystal is a work of art. Over 6 months of ownership I still find myself mesmerized at how the slight dome reflects light and magnifies the dial at slight angles. +4 to Rolex for adding form/art to function.

The solid bracelet is hands down as good as they come. I didn't really think I could tell a difference until I recently handled my ex-SubLV. Instantly I could feel the difference in that the solid bracelet adds confidence and a feeling of sturdiness that was missing from the previous bands. +5 to Rolex for improving on the strength while maintaining a true classic in the oyster design.

The clasp clip and safety latch of the new clasp is simply amazing. If you have not inspected one up close, you don't know what you're missing. From the micro springs that bend ever so slightly to the micro ball bearings that give way when pressed on the sides, gone are the days of metal-on-metal scraping and worn out/stretched clippings. Even if you've handled one, I recommend you check out the released skeleton design schematics to get a true understanding of what goes into the new clasps. The amount of working parts might just surprise you. +6 to Rolex for finally improving upon probably one of the biggest complaints in Rolex history.

I'm no horologist, so I can't do justice to talking about the merits of the updated blu-hairspring and other movement improvements. But if the reports are true & accurate, then I applaud Rolex for taking a proven workhorse of a movement and upgrading it to provide greater defense of both magnetic interferences and shock trauma. +7 to Rolex for not being afraid to prove that regardless of how good something might be, there is always room for improvement.

The new blue lume and Maxi markers provide hours of clear nightly viewing. My first Rolex was a SD a few years ago. It replaced my SMP Chrono as a daily wearer and I quickly determined that the SD couldn't hold a candle to Omega wrt lume. That was a big deal breaker for me as I wear my watches when I sleep and refer to them throughout the night when I wake to check time. I found w/ the SD I had to literally place my nose against the glass to read the time. This issue led to my selling of the SD for a LV. But, with the DS (as w/ the IIC and new Sub-C), the Maxi is here to stay. No longer do I complain about Rolex coming in second to Omega in the lume category. +8 to Rolex for adding size, yet maintaining the simple elegance of the classic Rolex sport dial.

And finally, lets not forget about the Glidelock. I don't have to go into detail regarding the utter genius of this invention. The only thing I can say is why didn't anyone think of this concept years ago? It seems so simple now that it's been invented, yet obviously no other company thought of it prior to Rolex. If you're like me that prefers a watch on a metal bracelet (which I realize probably the majority of you Pan fans are not), then I don't have to tell you how great this design is. +9 to Rolex for developing & bringing to market an idea that has escaped every watch maker/designer since the beginning of time.

So that's my take on the 'slight' improvements offered. While I agree that Pan's have a lot of appeal, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon that Rolex has been sitting on the sidelines refusing to offer any type of improvements. The improvements are significant and right in front of our faces and I think it's easy to overlook them because many are relatively 'stealth'. As anyone that has operated behind enemy lines can attest - Stealth is Good...Really Good! Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 06:29 PM   #96
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
... Glad you like your watch! :)
Matrim604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 06:40 PM   #97
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim604 View Post
... Glad you like your watch! :)
How could you tell? I didn't realize I typed so much until I hit 'post'...sorry guys for the novel...I need to get some sleep!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 06:42 PM   #98
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Thanks Brotha!!!
Still waiting here, you will join us soon...
When I gots the dough man .. when i gots the dough
One Day
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 09:02 PM   #99
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
When I gots the dough man .. when i gots the dough
One Day
I'll wait, Buddy!!!
Old 30 April 2009, 09:03 PM   #100
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
How could you tell? I didn't realize I typed so much until I hit 'post'...sorry guys for the novel...I need to get some sleep!
Rolex is Rolex...The Most Popular Watches In The World.
Old 1 May 2009, 03:27 AM   #101
Matrim604
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha no need to apologize, DSSD is a superb watch, and your post was actually a fairly good read. But yeah, I kept scrolling down expecting it to end at some point but just never did! :) j/k. You should stick a couple pics in it and repost it in the Reviews section.
Matrim604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2009, 05:43 AM   #102
chenx15
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess I'm happy to finally find a watch (DSSD) that stopped my constant looking at other watches. Like pretty much 99% of WIS, I seemed to constantly be looking for another watch. No sooner than I strapped a new one on my wrist, within no time the honeymoon was over and I had to keep looking. I can honestly say my DS has answered the call of everything I love in watches. I don't really envy those out there that are buying new watches and yet seem to be looking for another before they even get a chance to take off the protective plastic. For some reason that seems to be the case with most PAN owners. Is that suppose to be a good thing?

Cheers.

I hear you moby! the SS daytona white face did that for me. Isn't Panerai's greatest move is by staying within Radiomir and Luminor models? all in all i think that is one reason i can't jump to the dark side because my SS daytona just amazes me all the time and my GMTIIC just cements my rolex loyalty. then again that PAM88 is really amazing
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2009, 01:51 PM   #103
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
I hear you moby! the SS daytona white face did that for me. Isn't Panerai's greatest move is by staying within Radiomir and Luminor models? all in all i think that is one reason i can't jump to the dark side because my SS daytona just amazes me all the time and my GMTIIC just cements my rolex loyalty. then again that PAM88 is really amazing
Many of us on PDF@TRF have been in your position.Eventually ,you will buy that first PAM, its just a question of time.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2009, 02:06 PM   #104
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

I am thankful some don't connect with PAM. It is hard enough to get Panerai's...
Old 1 May 2009, 02:14 PM   #105
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBJIV View Post
I am thankful some don't connect with PAM. It is hard enough to get Panerai's...
i thought the same several times.
if it's popular as rolex the prices will be much worst.
Old 1 May 2009, 03:25 PM   #106
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBJIV View Post
No comment...
Old 2 May 2009, 07:36 AM   #107
housemad
Banned

Watch: Graham chr.GMT O/S
Panerai hit Asia right now...It will be like Louis Vuitton...Every Asian will own a few soon!!
housemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2009, 04:57 PM   #108
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Good work Moby.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2009, 05:26 PM   #109
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by housemad View Post
Panerai hit Asia right now...It will be like Louis Vuitton...Every Asian will own a few soon!!

With only around 35000 produced each year it's not really too much of a worry, although for Panerai fans it would be a nightmare as the prices would rocket, again

Rolex are a completely different ballgame to Panerai, but the two of them easily work within the same market as they produce different styles of watches, it's easy to own both a Rolex and a Panerai without worrying that they look similar, or do the same job.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2009, 06:37 PM   #110
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So help me out guys, what's the deal w/ PAM's and brushed cases (or lack thereof)? I'll admit I don't know a lot about specific models, but every time I see one that interests me it appears to be a high polished case which makes me quickly move on. Just like Breitling, there seems to be a lot of models I would consider until I see the high polished cases...sorry guys, I'm just not a fan of that look. Are there brushed examples to consider?

To those that say Rolex hasn't really offered anything amazing w/ the 'limited' upgrades, I say not so. The modern PAN's we're talking about here are unique and provide some fresh ideas, but I wouldn't say Rolex has watched PAN's growth over the years and not answered the call.

While I don't particularly like a lot of the new Rolex designs with regard to looks/fashion statement, I say Rolex has made GREAT advances that started with the GMT-IIC and has continued with the DS & new Sub. PAN is a different beast all itself, but Rolex has stepped up its game significantly and I personally believe we as Rolex lovers have companies like Panerai to thank.

Take the DS for example & compare it to the old SD or Sub. While I love the classic Sub, like most of you PAN fans, I longed for something a little larger than 40mm. At 43mm the DS fit the bill perfectly. I've owned watches from 45-48mm and while they are interesting, after a while I will admit anything over 44mm seems to grow old. +1 to Rolex on the perfect size.

While some might not prefer the new ceramic bezel, I love them. I can attest to the fact that they handle hits & abuse EXTREMELY well. Just ask one door jam in my house, a vintage car's metal bumper that was getting polished in my driveway and (believe it or not) a chipped plate while doing dishes. All took some abuse from the ceramic bezel, yet the bezel looks as good as day one. +2 to Rolex on a ridiculously tough material.

Lets not forget about the new ball bearings of the bezel. I use to laugh when I took the bezel off of my LV and saw the tiny metal 'pin' that kept the bezel from turning clockwise. What a joke IMO...the feel and construction of the new design is simply amazing. +3 to Rolex on a superb mechanical improvement.

In my eyes, the DS's domed crystal is a work of art. Over 6 months of ownership I still find myself mesmerized at how the slight dome reflects light and magnifies the dial at slight angles. +4 to Rolex for adding form/art to function.

The solid bracelet is hands down as good as they come. I didn't really think I could tell a difference until I recently handled my ex-SubLV. Instantly I could feel the difference in that the solid bracelet adds confidence and a feeling of sturdiness that was missing from the previous bands. +5 to Rolex for improving on the strength while maintaining a true classic in the oyster design.

The clasp clip and safety latch of the new clasp is simply amazing. If you have not inspected one up close, you don't know what you're missing. From the micro springs that bend ever so slightly to the micro ball bearings that give way when pressed on the sides, gone are the days of metal-on-metal scraping and worn out/stretched clippings. Even if you've handled one, I recommend you check out the released skeleton design schematics to get a true understanding of what goes into the new clasps. The amount of working parts might just surprise you. +6 to Rolex for finally improving upon probably one of the biggest complaints in Rolex history.

I'm no horologist, so I can't do justice to talking about the merits of the updated blu-hairspring and other movement improvements. But if the reports are true & accurate, then I applaud Rolex for taking a proven workhorse of a movement and upgrading it to provide greater defense of both magnetic interferences and shock trauma. +7 to Rolex for not being afraid to prove that regardless of how good something might be, there is always room for improvement.

The new blue lume and Maxi markers provide hours of clear nightly viewing. My first Rolex was a SD a few years ago. It replaced my SMP Chrono as a daily wearer and I quickly determined that the SD couldn't hold a candle to Omega wrt lume. That was a big deal breaker for me as I wear my watches when I sleep and refer to them throughout the night when I wake to check time. I found w/ the SD I had to literally place my nose against the glass to read the time. This issue led to my selling of the SD for a LV. But, with the DS (as w/ the IIC and new Sub-C), the Maxi is here to stay. No longer do I complain about Rolex coming in second to Omega in the lume category. +8 to Rolex for adding size, yet maintaining the simple elegance of the classic Rolex sport dial.

And finally, lets not forget about the Glidelock. I don't have to go into detail regarding the utter genius of this invention. The only thing I can say is why didn't anyone think of this concept years ago? It seems so simple now that it's been invented, yet obviously no other company thought of it prior to Rolex. If you're like me that prefers a watch on a metal bracelet (which I realize probably the majority of you Pan fans are not), then I don't have to tell you how great this design is. +9 to Rolex for developing & bringing to market an idea that has escaped every watch maker/designer since the beginning of time.

So that's my take on the 'slight' improvements offered. While I agree that Pan's have a lot of appeal, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the bandwagon that Rolex has been sitting on the sidelines refusing to offer any type of improvements. The improvements are significant and right in front of our faces and I think it's easy to overlook them because many are relatively 'stealth'. As anyone that has operated behind enemy lines can attest - Stealth is Good...Really Good! Cheers.
Yes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9548.jpg (207.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 2 May 2009, 06:52 PM   #111
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
They hit Asia a couple years ago. Maybe since 2003-2004.
The most POPULAR model in Asia is Luminor Marina aka 111.
Old 2 May 2009, 09:27 PM   #112
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Yes...
Old 2 May 2009, 09:59 PM   #113
housemad
Banned

Quote:
They hit Asia a couple years ago. Maybe since 2003-2004.
The most POPULAR model in Asia is Luminor Marina aka 111.
That probably why all Panerai dealers in the rest of the world only have 3 or 4 in the showcase... since China discovered Panerai!!!
Old 2 May 2009, 10:06 PM   #114
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
That probably why all Panerai dealers in the rest of the world only have 3 or 4 in the showcase... since China discovered Panerai!!!

BTW Panerai opened Boutique in Shanghai in very first year.
Old 2 May 2009, 10:08 PM   #115
housemad
Banned

My friend told me all showcase are empty in China...just the black pig figures inside alone!
Old 2 May 2009, 11:28 PM   #116
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
My friend told me all showcase are empty in China...just the black pig figures inside alone!
So do in Jakarta AD...
Every item come, always sold out.
That's why I love Pannie.
Old 2 May 2009, 11:43 PM   #117
VazLube

Quote:
Yes...
And I present you this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Dm15eQBYL._SL500_.jpg (47.4 KB, 37 views)
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 12:10 AM   #118
Trurolexer
Banned

I'm just wondering is that really leopard fur in the dial?
Old 3 May 2009, 12:30 AM   #119
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm just wondering is that really leopard fur in the dial?
Unlikely.
Old 3 May 2009, 12:37 AM   #120
Trurolexer
Banned

To be honest the bling watches is not fo me...
Rose gold is OK, but diamond is difenetely NO.