The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2018, 10:46 PM   #1
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Hodinkee Magazine

Anyone here subscribe to it? Looks like there are only 3 issues so far and a 4th coming spring 2019. Those who have it, do you enjoy it and is it worthwhile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Anyone here subscribe to it? Looks like there are only 3 issues so far and a 4th coming spring 2019. Those who have it, do you enjoy it and is it worthwhile?

I am a Hodinkee fan - in general.

However, I was sorely disappointed in Issue #1. The font was tiny, photo layout reminiscent of an Apple photobook project, and articles were not compelling.

They also printed a transcription of the Talking Watches episode with Alton Brown. LOVED the video, but I did not need to pay $27 to re-read it.

Not a good value. I don't see re-reading it, nor leaving it on my coffee table.

I have not purchased any more issues. I just don't see the value / point.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:50 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My wife was in the magazine industry and it was so decimated by the internet that she had to retire early. I am surprised people are starting magazines in this environment.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:17 AM   #4
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
My wife was in the magazine industry and it was so decimated by the internet that she had to retire early. I am surprised people are starting magazines in this environment.
I cannot fault them for trying. Their product is more like a soft-cover book Vs. a Magazine. However, the photos, paper quality, shelf-life would have to be significant for the price they are charging. Few to no ads if I recall...so that contributes to the price.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
The Hoodinke magazine represents everything that has gone wrong with hoodinke as they arrive to their 10th anniversary: a pretentious, overpriced, redundant product that insults the intelligence of its potential customers.

Hoodinke was nice at the beginning. Now they are victims of their own success. Just witness is ridiculous markups in everything (they now people can use the internet to compare prices, no?), the pretentiousness, and the huge conflict of interest that they now have as retailers but also "journalists ".

And don't get me started on their 10th anniversary event in NYC. Yes Hoddinke: people like being treated terribly since that way the event feels more luxe. Great formula, keep at it.
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

^ Have to agree. Hodinkee originally felt like an enthusiast’s club that was personal and fun. Now it’s so pompous, pretentious, preaching, self-aware and “trend setting” (in order to sell their own stuff), it’s all pretty unbearable.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:06 PM   #7
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I am sure there is some pretentious gilt dial Tiffany stamp in-house NATO strap reasoning behind selling a magazine.

“No this, my friend, is a magazine”
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:11 PM   #8
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

The Houston Centurion Lounge had free copies of the Hodinkee magazine for a while. I would pay up to $10 for it. Any price above it, I'd rather get free catalogs from AP or Lange in the mail. They have pretty pictures of watches, too.
I like Hodinkee but get annoyed with them a lot, so much that I unfollowed them on Instagram to avoid their stories. Also not a fan of their constant promotion of Apple products, especially the Apple watch. They probably get a nice kickback from Apple but it defies much of what we as watch geeks stand for.
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 09:23 PM   #9
akendo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
If you’re looking for a good coffee table watch magazine, can’t recommend Revolution enough. Good diverse writing with some great origin pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
akendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:24 PM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akendo View Post
If you’re looking for a good coffee table watch magazine, can’t recommend Revolution enough. Good diverse writing with some great origin pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, exactly what I'm looking for and just something to browse on occasion other than TRF for our passion. I'll check this one out and thanks all for the feedback, clear no here!

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:34 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have purchased all three editions of the magazine and have enjoyed each. I subscribed, as I like the magazine, and it is a slight savings. The price is expensive and could be prohibitive for some but it is not enough to stop me from buying. I also purchase Revolution magazine and The Rake and pay enough to get your attention. I enjoy them so it is not just about price but how much you enjoy an item.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:05 PM   #12
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

I've enjoyed them when I've read them, but also have never paid out of pocket for them. Lucky enough to grab them at the Centurion lounges when travelling.
FrmrHoss is offline   Reply With Quote