The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 December 2018, 01:26 AM   #1
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
MVMT Watches - Millenial Rolex?

You've probably seen the TV ads: two young guys start the minimalist MVMT watch brand because "watches are overpriced!." "Join the movement."

Except MVMT watches are roughly double the price of Orient or Timex watches with similar look and quartz movement. And now they produced their first automatic (with a low-end Miyota movement) that is being compared to Rolex.

Search on MVMT and Rolex on Youtube.

Except the big secret is that MVMT is not really a Millenial microbrand anymore. They were bought out by Movado to give Movado access to the Millenial market.

Millennials (not all, but many) prefer a minimalist design to luxury goods.

MVMT: the Millenial Rolex.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
MVMT: the Millenial Rolex.
Not for me.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #3
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Millenial here, although I do like wearing minimalistic things, I just can't stand mvmt watches. I love the aesthetics and the history of a Rolex.
Old 15 December 2018, 01:33 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

I did specify some but not all. But good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
Millenial here, although I do like wearing minimalistic things, I just can't stand mvmt watches. I love the aesthetics and the history of a Rolex.
Old 15 December 2018, 02:03 AM   #5
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Just noticed Alpha M, a kind of youtube celebrity did a video about "5 Ways MVMT Watches are BETTER Than ROLEX!"
Not a single response was pro-MVMT. A lot of people are saying Alpha M lost his creditability with this video.

Without disrespecting MVMT, it's not and will not be in the Rolex league or anywhere close to that.
Old 15 December 2018, 02:08 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Uber = game change. MVMT = same ol', same ol'.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:14 AM   #7
Rolliex
"TRF" Member

his follow up video, "It was meant to be a joke" come on Alpha M you will sell your soul for the right price.
Rolliex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:17 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Well said, Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Uber = game change. MVMT = same ol', same ol'.
dP
Old 15 December 2018, 02:19 AM   #9
locutus49
Banned

ALPHA M has a large following among Millennials. No wonder they think MVMT is their Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
Just noticed Alpha M, a kind of youtube celebrity did a video about "5 Ways MVMT Watches are BETTER Than ROLEX!"
Not a single response was pro-MVMT. A lot of people are saying Alpha M lost his creditability with this video.

Without disrespecting MVMT, it's not and will not be in the Rolex league or anywhere close to that.
Old 15 December 2018, 02:19 AM   #10
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
I see more millenials going towards Shinola, than MVMT
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:20 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

I'll wear my Rolex, thanks.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:23 AM   #12
locutus49
Banned

And don't forget Nixon.

My problem with MVMT is their advertising highlights their microbrand status (which appeals to Millenials) but in reality, they are owned by Movado, which MVMT keeps secret so as not to tarnish their "two guys made them in their garage" image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
I see more millenials going towards Shinola, than MVMT
Old 15 December 2018, 02:25 AM   #13
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
I am happy young people are wearing watches period!!
Old 15 December 2018, 02:26 AM   #14
Star Ferry
Banned

The video was promotional. No millenials actually think MVMT is a subsitute for (or competitor of) Rolex

This whole thread feels like an excuse to feel superior to people who buy cheap quartz microbrands
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:27 AM   #15
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I saw a commercial on TV for MVMT last night. Marketing hype to me. I’ve never heard of the company until then. I was under the impression millennials mostly shunned watches...they have the time on smart phones.
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:31 AM   #16
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Seems like the most affective millennial advertising tagline is "buy while wearing your cubby pants and never have to leave the couch", whether it's a car or keeping your hair.

As long as I don't have to leave the couch.................
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:34 AM   #17
Daveh3196
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers
Like them or not you have to respect, at least according to press info, two twenty somethings who built a brand via social media and sold it for millions. Wish I had come up with that idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daveh3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:44 AM   #18
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

MVMT in its beginning made Instagram their primary focus before Instagram became what it is today probably putting every penny they had into that platform. They were one of the first to do those cool lifestyle images with scenery and helicopters, skyscrapers etc. They pioneered imagery and influenced heavily "watch social media" after that. You see Watchanish and many other watch personalities taking a page straight out of their book. With that being said, their watches are probably $5.00 to make overseas and sold at a $100-300 price point.

Now they were able to fit Movado's mix as they failed miserably targeting a younger audience with Movado Bold. Seems like the intent is to go after that crowd. Im not a millennial nor I'd be interested in their products. Good business, perhaps mixed with hard work and luck but way too much of a stretch to compare to Rolex.

PD: Go to your local coffee shop and I wouldn't doubt seeing many young people with their MVMT sipping soy lattes and eating avocado toasts...
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:51 AM   #19
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

This is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh3196 View Post
Like them or not you have to respect, at least according to press info, two twenty somethings who built a brand via social media and sold it for millions. Wish I had come up with that idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:54 AM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Great post.

The funny thing about MVMT's one automatic movement (low-end Miyota) is that viewed through the exhibition back, you basically see a large steel back with a skeleton rotor. No color or interesting parts. Why put an exhibition back on that movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerivers1961 View Post
MVMT in its beginning made Instagram their primary focus before Instagram became what it is today probably putting every penny they had into that platform. They were one of the first to do those cool lifestyle images with scenery and helicopters, skyscrapers etc. They pioneered imagery and influenced heavily "watch social media" after that. You see Watchanish and many other watch personalities taking a page straight out of their book. With that being said, their watches are probably $5.00 to make overseas and sold at a $100-300 price point.

Now they were able to fit Movado's mix as they failed miserably targeting a younger audience with Movado Bold. Seems like the intent is to go after that crowd. Im not a millennial nor I'd be interested in their products. Good business, perhaps mixed with hard work and luck but way too much of a stretch to compare to Rolex.

PD: Go to your local coffee shop and I wouldn't doubt seeing many young people with their MVMT sipping soy lattes and eating avocado toasts...
Old 15 December 2018, 02:56 AM   #21
locutus49
Banned

I don't feel superior; I AM superior to watch geeks who wear fashion brands like MVMT or Daniel Wellington. j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
The video was promotional. No millenials actually think MVMT is a subsitute for (or competitor of) Rolex

This whole thread feels like an excuse to feel superior to people who buy cheap quartz microbrands
Old 15 December 2018, 03:09 AM   #22
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I wonder if the MVMT founders themselves own at least one Rolex.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:19 AM   #23
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I've had many conversations about MVMT and other similar brands. I just can't get behind a watch company that isn't really a watch company. I mean, what percentage of the time, effort, and money actually went into the WATCH?? I tell people, "MVMT isn't a watch company, they're a marketing company." Wear what you want, but don't expect me to get all excited when you showoff your MVMT to me.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:21 AM   #24
Hands90
"TRF" Member

That's a nice thought... NO
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:23 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post

That's probably because you don't "have a significant stock portfolio with a strong dividend stream".
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:24 AM   #26
Burlington
"TRF" Member

To each their own, but I’ll stick with what I have

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #27
locutus49
Banned

On a positive note, if MVMT or Michael Kors introduces young people to watches, then it is a gateway drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
To each their own, but I’ll stick with what I have
Old 15 December 2018, 04:01 AM   #28
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I'm a millennial and cant stand MVMT watches but I can appreciate a business model where two guys started their own company buying cheap Chinese watches and marketing the hell out of them on social media and getting over 1,000,000 watches sold. Proves social media as an amazing marketing platform and a leading reason to the increased demand for Rolex, PP, AP, RM, etc.

Just looking in my office we have about a dozen millennials and 4 of them have MVMT watches. I asked why MVMT vs. other similar brands or saving up for a rolex. Their answer...they saw it on Instagram and thought they looked cool. They also said they could never afford a rolex because they are too broke yet they all make between $75k-$100k+ They choose to spend their money in the moment for immediate gratification and a company like MVMT through their social media ads and "influencers" appeal to this demographic perfectly.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:02 AM   #29
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
......MVMT isn't a watch company, they're a marketing company.
Precisely.

MVMT is just an example of good marketing. It could have been any product, they just chose $1 watches drop shipped from China as an easy sell. Those Chinese companies will put what ever you want on the dial, and order enough and the price per unit becomes very reasonable.

MVMT may bring some new people into the world of watches, but if I had bought one for $200 and then saw the exact same watch on Alibaba for $1 (minus MVMT on the dial) I'd feel scammed, and therefore very sceptical about watches in the future.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:07 AM   #30
locutus49
Banned

Millennials think MVMT watches are special, and they aren't the type to research watches or they would have bought an Orient Bambino. As someone said, it is all social media marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Precisely.

MVMT is just an example of good marketing. It could have been any product, they just chose $1 watches drop shipped from China as an easy sell. Those Chinese companies will put what ever you want on the dial, and order enough and the price per unit becomes very reasonable.

MVMT may bring some new people into the world of watches, but if I had bought one for $200 and then saw the exact same watch on Alibaba for $1 (minus MVMT on the dial) I'd feel scammed, and therefore very sceptical about watches in the future.