The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2007, 02:17 AM   #1
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Watch Service Horror Stories - Places to avoid

Well someone asked me a question which intiated my typing up all this information, so I thought, "why not start a places to avoid thread" -

Please post up any stories you may have - maybe it will help out others.

I daily wear a GMT 1675 two-tone (TT) with a TT jubilee band that my grandmother gave me when my grandfather passed away. When I received it, it had the original matte brown dial (I guess it as original - had the T for tritium) and really faded brown bezel insert. I knew it needed to be serviced and unfortunately, I took one of my colleague's (who also has a Rolex) suggestions to get it serviced at the local San Diego Sak's 5th Ave. watch repair shop.

My grandfather did alot of sailing and the dial and hands had really bad sun exposure to the point of looking like little flakes were starting to or were going to start chipping off. The repairman suggested that I at least replace the hands, but somehow he slightly damaged the dial in the process (serious nightmare - needless to say I was really bummed). I was able to get an identical replacement dial on ebay that the repairman paid for and still have the original hands and dial (albeit slightly chipped). Because this was my first Rolex service experience, he must have been aware of how naive I was a charged me the full Rolex service price by saying that all Rolex repairshop had to charge the same as a RSC. lol - I fell for it.

To add insult to injury, the watch stopped after two years.

Moral of this story - stay away from San Diego Sak's 5th Avenue if you value your Rolex

However, there is a light at the end of this dismal story:

When the watch stopped, I decided to send it in to the Beverly Hills RSC to have it serviced and fully restored because at this point the dial tritium and hands superluminova really clashed IMO. It came back looking fantastic (and it is nice to be able to read the time at night now with the superluminova). I didn't know that they were going to replace the matte brown dial with the rootbeer dial, but I like it alot too. I had a great experience with BH RSC.

Now that have been wearing it for awhile in its new style, I think the browns go really well with the 18K gold and the watch looks great!

Pics below

bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Lovely Watch bwalkervintage
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2007, 04:00 AM   #3
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
It may not the Saks to avoid but that particular person, I hope they do not work at BH RSC one day!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2007, 01:14 PM   #4
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
It may not the Saks to avoid but that particular person, I hope they do not work at BH RSC one day!

The Saks watch repair in San Diego is owned by the individual who worked on my watch. He by and large does the majority of the work on the watches that pass through there.

Quote:
Thank you so much, I'm just happy that it all worked out in the end.
Old 20 February 2007, 02:27 AM   #5
----

When I had my Rolex serviced at Rolex Canada in Toronto, they did a great job! I was very pleased with the service and the work that was done.

I have read many stories that involve just about every major brand you can name. I tend to favour the official route of the brand's service center if I can, and would only go to someone local for regulation or something of that nature.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.
Old 20 February 2007, 02:34 AM   #6
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstylianou View Post
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Carl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16753
Great looking TT and glad to hear of the outcome. I'm new to the forum and the many details of the Rolex, which have eluded me all of these years I've worn my TT 1675. Although I've sent mine to Rolex several times over the years for servicing, no one has mentioned restoring the luminescence. Was there anything special in requesting the superluminova, or is it part of a restoration package?
Thanks!
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2007, 04:11 AM   #8
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Was there anything special in requesting the superluminova, or is it part of a restoration package?
Thanks!
From what I understand, you basically have two options for restoring the luminescence:

1) Have Rolex replace you hands and dial with new ones (what I did).

2) Use an aftermarket service to specifically just put in new luminescence on your dial and hands (have no idea about this or the cost and true feasability of it). I know some on this forum have had it done, but in my eyes, one could potentially get have a problem with quality workmanship, whereas with a replacement Rolex dial and hands, workmanship is guarenteed.
Old 23 February 2007, 04:42 AM   #9
Carl
"TRF" Member

I'll stick with your advice and have the factory perform the work... yours looks great. I wasn't aware they would have dials to fit the older watches (mine's a '78).
Old 23 February 2007, 05:09 AM   #10
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
I'll stick with your advice and have the factory perform the work... yours looks great. I wasn't aware they would have dials to fit the older watches (mine's a '78).
Thanks!

I will warn you that the serious collectors think that having the original dial (even if it is old and tired) will increase the value of the watch.

I personally am more interested in the function, because I don't plan on ever selling it.
Old 24 February 2007, 08:15 AM   #11
Carl
"TRF" Member

I'm with you on functionality. Just returned from overseas deployment which reminded me again of the feable luminoscity of the old tritium, which sets me on a quest each time I return. This time it's a new factory dial!
Old 10 March 2007, 01:00 AM   #12
lohanette
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Good service.

I've had my Rolex GMT master II 2 1/2 years now and it's been in service for a clicking winder (clicking sound when tightning), time speeding up, stopping twice and re-lubing.
I didn't have to pay a penny as they said cause the watch is in such good condition.
lohanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2007, 08:22 AM   #13
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
How long is the standard Rolex warranty these days?
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2007, 12:07 AM   #14
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
How long is the standard Rolex warranty these days?
2 years
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2007, 12:19 AM   #15
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
If I bought a Rolex from a private owner & it was still under warranty, would a Rolex Service Center honor it? Just curious, I am in the market for a lady Date Just & the one I'm looking at was sold 18 months back, & the warranty papers have the AD's name stamped on it.
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote