The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2019, 02:07 PM   #121
ispep
"TRF" Member

I was traveling and dropped by ADs in the Malaysian and Singapore airports. No sports models available , But now the cases will show the sports with a large sign saying “not for sale “ .

It’s frustrating however I’m very content and happy with what I already have . Maybe it’s a good thing none of the watches I want to buy are not in stock . Helps me save my money .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ispep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 03:38 PM   #122
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
Rolex is putting AD in bad situations. You walk in, display cases practically empty. My friend who is a manager at a AD told me it’s supply and demand. Rolex can’t make the watches fast enough.
Your manager wouldn't even know what comes in on a Rolex shipment. Only what the owner says comes in. Who does the account?

Rolex created ~1M watches in 2015. ~750K in 2016. What makes you think they suddenly started cutting their production by 25%?

And since 2016, funny enough, no one knows how many Rolex watches are produced. They could be producing 1M, but they're definitely not releasing them.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 07:00 PM   #123
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Yesterday’s trip turned out very well for me, but it’s been almost 2 years in between success stories.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 07:25 PM   #124
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have stopped visiting AD unless I receive a call to buy a watch I requested.

There is nothing in-store (not a fan of TT and Cellini models).
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 09:47 PM   #125
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I see this very differently, so I’m interested in what you think they should do differently?

In my experience, the AD’s are looking after loyal customers as best they can, mine certainly has been very good to me and I appreciate them for that, and it has made me even more loyal. I very nearly missed out on a Patek because I was honest with a PP AD and said that I would never buy any jewellery or Rolex from them, because I’m loyal to my local jeweller and Rolex dealer. This isn’t me being a slave to my AD, it is just the way I like to operate, I’m an inherently loyal person and I enjoy long term relationships based on mutual respect.

The AD’s could treat everyone equally of course, and simply work on a first come first served basis; I assume (maybe incorrectly) that this is what you think they should do? But then what...

The current spike may well disappear tomorrow and we may well be back in a world of discounts on Rolex professional models (I doubt this very much, but it’s possible). But I don’t see how the AD’s will regret their current approach? Loyal customers like me will still buy from them, and our long term relationship will continue.

What they would regret, is not favouring their loyal customers and treating them the same as ‘new business’. They will regret this because when the spike is a distant memory (I repeat, I can’t see this happening but let’s go with it), the loyal customers that once were, will go elsewhere because they will feel like their loyalty hadn’t been rewarded. And to make it worse, the ‘new business’ will go to grey dealers where they were before the spike!

I know my AD hates turning away business and finds it distressing having to say ‘no’ to tens of people every day, it goes against the grain of any sales organisation, but they have no choice.

I’m sure there are bad AD’s with bad sales people with bad attitudes, and maybe my AD is an exception, but I truly wouldn’t do anything different to what they are doing.

I simply can’t get my head around people complaining about lack of supply, it’s a premium product in high demand, this is what happens. I’m on with it.

I agree that ADs will want to give their valued customers first dibs. But, once their valued customers decline to buy (which is how unsold inventory ends up in the safe), then the watch should be put in the display case and sold first come, first serve.

But, let’s get real, the ADs won’t do that because they’d rather force the FOMO customers into purchasing bundles of unwanted jewelry and unwanted watches.

So, if the AD wanted to take care of valued customers and new customers, they could. They just choose not to.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 09:49 PM   #126
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonthree View Post
They can care less you got your Daytona else where as they can sell all they get easily. Most dont even take your name or contact if you are looking for the hot watches.

Well it’s no skin off my teeth. When I walk into a shop now days I don’t even bother with looking at Rolex, the 6 digits with the giant lugs and excessive wrist presence don’t interest me at all. If a shop has some vintage pieces, that will get my attention but I have always loved watches and have owned many brands and there are folks like omega (with there renewed 321 movement), breitling (with the navi reissue), IWC (with smaller case sizes and in-house movements) and Seiko and GS have my attention. So there is no loss to me.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 10:26 PM   #127
KFP55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I see this very differently, so I’m interested in what you think they should do differently?

In my experience, the AD’s are looking after loyal customers as best they can, mine certainly has been very good to me and I appreciate them for that, and it has made me even more loyal. I very nearly missed out on a Patek because I was honest with a PP AD and said that I would never buy any jewellery or Rolex from them, because I’m loyal to my local jeweller and Rolex dealer. This isn’t me being a slave to my AD, it is just the way I like to operate, I’m an inherently loyal person and I enjoy long term relationships based on mutual respect.

The AD’s could treat everyone equally of course, and simply work on a first come first served basis; I assume (maybe incorrectly) that this is what you think they should do? But then what...

The current spike may well disappear tomorrow and we may well be back in a world of discounts on Rolex professional models (I doubt this very much, but it’s possible). But I don’t see how the AD’s will regret their current approach? Loyal customers like me will still buy from them, and our long term relationship will continue.

What they would regret, is not favouring their loyal customers and treating them the same as ‘new business’. They will regret this because when the spike is a distant memory (I repeat, I can’t see this happening but let’s go with it), the loyal customers that once were, will go elsewhere because they will feel like their loyalty hadn’t been rewarded. And to make it worse, the ‘new business’ will go to grey dealers where they were before the spike!

I know my AD hates turning away business and finds it distressing having to say ‘no’ to tens of people every day, it goes against the grain of any sales organisation, but they have no choice.

I’m sure there are bad AD’s with bad sales people with bad attitudes, and maybe my AD is an exception, but I truly wouldn’t do anything different to what they are doing.

I simply can’t get my head around people complaining about lack of supply, it’s a premium product in high demand, this is what happens. I’m on with it.

Not at all suggesting they sell on a first come first served basis. But, what is preventing them from selling a couple of watches to me (or other customers in "line" who have requested them) vs. selling all of the supply to grays and only those spending $100k+? And my AD literally said he can't even get a Sub for a customer who has spent $800k on jewelry this year, which is of course obnoxious...but it's what I've been told more than once. Maybe limit sales to 1 watch/new customer, then when the list is exhausted, start over?

If they go your route, sure, they make a very concentrated group of existing customers happy, but they don't grow their customer base. They've missed out, with me personally, on $50k or so of sales this year alone. Maybe it doesn't matter today, but when the market eventually normalizes, they're going to regret not taking the opportunity to grow their customer base
Old 24 October 2019, 11:44 PM   #128
SeaDweller1220
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, Daytona, GMT-C
This thread makes me appreciate my local AD sales guy.
Bought my first Rolex in 2006 to reward myself for getting my dream job (same job my dad had that made us move from Norway to USA in 1978) which was a SeaDweller. sitting in the case Got 20% off too back then. LOL
As time went on I visited he always remembered me when I stopped by as they are in a shopping Mall and I bough my second watch around 1 year later (an 26mm OP) for my wifes 50th. He tells me that since I have bought a few watches and I told him my dad had bought one from them 15 years ago. He will put me on the SS Daytona list. I had no idea that there were lists to buy watches. Guess I was still a NUBIE?
Got the call within 6 months, back then they were $7900.
Started making more $$ and thought I'd like another Rolex and the GMT2-C caught my eye. Still was in the case back then 2010 and got another $20% off that watch.
Figured 3 watches was the limit....for a while.
Then the bug caught me!!!!
My AD asked if I wanted to be put on his list for hard to get watches I think what's there to lose?
Walked by the AD while shopping for Christmas gifts in 2012? AD tells me they have a Green Sub, and since I was there I could buy it. As they were going to call me.
Then I get the call 1.5 years later they have a Deep Blue DSSD if I wanted it.
Then they tell me they have a Batman coming in.
In early 2018 He asks me if I liked the Daytona C and puts me on the list, I figure its going to be a while, within 6 months I get the call.
Figured that was it.
Got the call 1 month ago if I wanted to get on the Pepsi list. I said SURE WHY NOT. My AD texts me last week, "hey we have a Pepsi coming In and I think they will pick you!!!"
I asked that was fast? He said the store manager picks who gets the watch and it's not by how much you spend, it's entirely up to her. And she likes me and my wife as we stop by and say Hi whenever we are at the mall.
Picked it up on Sunday.
He tells me they have $300-400K spenders that just buy watches that I jumped in front of on the list. He tells me I am the only one in their store that has received Batman, Pepsi and Daytona-C.
Never considered myself as a very likeble guy???? Must be because of my wife!!!!
So, in conclusion I have nothing but happy experiences with my AD.
Shame how other AD's treat their customers from what I have read here.