The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2019, 10:06 AM   #301
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
one thing that i am very happy about is that i never spent a single dollar on 'creating relationships'. with ADs at least:::))))
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:17 PM   #302
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
Sometimes we tend to over-complicate things...

Seems to me there is one, and exactly one, scenario in which a person pays msrp at AD for a nautilus: they walk in to an AD, they leave payment for the exact msrp as stated on the Patek website, and they walk out with a brand new nauti on their wrist. Nothing more, just exactly that.

Any other scenario by definition means a premium over msrp was paid: whether the premium is paid directly in the form of a higher price, or whether it is paid indirectly in the form of a coerced bundle or package deal with another watch or other items...all of that means unequivocally that a premium over msrp was paid - the premium is just deflected onto another item, that's all. But make no mistake, a premium got paid. End of story, full stop.

Which is perfectly fine: you want the watch, you pay the going price in whatever form or whatever bundle it may be rendered, and now you have the watch.

To each their own. In the end, it's all good if YOU'RE good with it (and causes no harm). It's a nice watch, enjoy it, be happy with it.

Agree. But most of those who take the latter approach will never openly admit they see it this way. Again, which makes this behavior interesting to me. It's as if they would feel inferior to admit they bought a bunch of crap to get what they wanted at msrp. Which again, if I had that sort of money to be able to do and not care, I would have no problem saying.... I don't give a F and I can. Over in the Rolex section people have no beef being open about buying from grays and paying premiums, why do those here look at it differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:51 PM   #303
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
The reason for the nautilus craze is precisely because people care about what others think. That’s why they’re buying them, it’s not like it’s a new watch or design that just came out. It’s an image thing. Trying to get people to admit that would be more difficult than getting them to admit they paid double msrp.
When the 5711 was first released I didn't understand why anyone would buy such an ugly watch, and the cost was ridiculous. I didn't know much about watches but people who did wrote great things about the 5711 and I like to follow the advice of knowledgable people, so I bought one. I hardly ever wore it because it was so ugly but when I did I got a lot of compliments, and then the price in the resale market went through the roof. Now I love my 5711. I admit it, I care what other people think.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:55 PM   #304
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
Seems to me there is one, and exactly one, scenario in which a person pays msrp at AD for a nautilus: they walk in to an AD, they leave payment for the exact msrp as stated on the Patek website, and they walk out with a brand new nauti on their wrist. Nothing more, just exactly that.
And that is what the majority of forum members are doing, they don't buy anything but what they want and it's from an AD at no more than MSRP.
Moreover, you will find that most members don't see a Nautilus as the pinnacle of Patek and the thought of being asked to buy other goods to get one is ludicrous and an affront to all Patek Philippe brand values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Agree. But most of those who take the latter approach will never openly admit they see it this way. Again, which makes this behavior interesting to me. It's as if they would feel inferior to admit they bought a bunch of crap to get what they wanted at msrp. Which again, if I had that sort of money to be able to do and not care, I would have no problem saying.... I don't give a F and I can. Over in the Rolex section people have no beef being open about buying from grays and paying premiums, why do those here look at it differently?
Have you never thought that perhaps the reason forum members don't admit to doing this is because it isn't very common - the PP section is full of many passionate watch collectors with the ability to forge strong relationships and the thought of buying something we don't want is simply not on the radar.

When it does happen and is brought to the forum's attention all hell breaks lose with strong passion being shown - unfortunately this then leads to members such as Karl getting banned.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 06:26 PM   #305
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Proud to admit that I do not care what other people think.

I buy what I want. And I wear what I buy.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:39 PM   #306
baglady
"TRF" Member

Prices are definitely softening, and my evidence is weak offerings from the Gray Market. I’ve offered to sell a Nautilus that could come into my possession for a pretty decent (in grey market terms) price and the offers to buy it from me have been tepid at best.

When the buy/sell spreads widen usually something breaks on one side or the other, and odds are on the sell price breaking.
baglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 08:18 PM   #307
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I thought I was having a 5 some tbh...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 08:18 PM   #308
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
Prices are definitely softening, and my evidence is weak offerings from the Gray Market. I’ve offered to sell a Nautilus that could come into my possession for a pretty decent (in grey market terms) price and the offers to buy it from me have been tepid at best.

When the buy/sell spreads widen usually something breaks on one side or the other, and odds are on the sell price breaking.
Then the next debate will be Wheres the floor...
Old 22 October 2019, 08:33 PM   #309
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Then the next debate will be Wheres the floor...
3.8k for the white and 4.2k for the blue?
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 08:34 PM   #310
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
3.8k for the white and 4.2k for the blue?
Back to being poor
Old 22 October 2019, 09:04 PM   #311
TJMike
Banned

I don't know what they were at the peak, but the Aquanaut (strap) is getting no or very few buyers at $33k.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:14 PM   #312
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Nautilus prices softening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
And that is what the majority of forum members are doing, they don't buy anything but what they want and it's from an AD at no more than MSRP.
Moreover, you will find that most members don't see a Nautilus as the pinnacle of Patek and the thought of being asked to buy other goods to get one is ludicrous and an affront to all Patek Philippe brand values.

Have you never thought that perhaps the reason forum members don't admit to doing this is because it isn't very common - the PP section is full of many passionate watch collectors with the ability to forge strong relationships and the thought of buying something we don't want is simply not on the radar.

When it does happen and is brought to the forum's attention all hell breaks lose with strong passion being shown - unfortunately this then leads to members such as Karl getting banned.

Isn't very common? So all those watches being sold on the secondary market are ending up where? And all of these AD's have conditioned so many to have spend prerequisites in order to get a Nautilus or bundle with something else. And that's all for no reason? Sorry, not buying it. Are you saying those are all ending up in the hands of people who are not true "enthusiasts"? If so, this may be why people won't admit it, because some like you may cast that judgement?

Old 22 October 2019, 09:18 PM   #313
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Isn't very common? So all those watches being sold on the secondary market are ending up where? And all of these AD's have conditioned so many to have spend prerequisites in order to get a Nautilus or bundle with something else. And that's all for no reason? Sorry, not buying it. Are you saying those are all ending up in the hands of people who are not true "enthusiasts"? If so, this may be why people won't admit it, because some like you may cast that judgement?

U seem stuck on this bro...not sure why it matters
Old 22 October 2019, 09:20 PM   #314
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
When the 5711 was first released I didn't understand why anyone would buy such an ugly watch, and the cost was ridiculous. I didn't know much about watches but people who did wrote great things about the 5711 and I like to follow the advice of knowledgable people, so I bought one. I hardly ever wore it because it was so ugly but when I did I got a lot of compliments, and then the price in the resale market went through the roof. Now I love my 5711. I admit it, I care what other people think.
That is very honest, I was similar not really a fan of the blue 5711 when I saw it so I passed, but then the RG came out and that was everything I was looking for so I'm glad I waited for the watch I really wanted, to trade them back then would have cost me £3/4K as well.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:21 PM   #315
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That is very honest, I was similar not really a fan of the blue 5711 when I saw it so I passed, but then the RG came out and that was everything I was looking for so I'm glad I waited for the watch I really wanted.
Lol do u even own a non Gold watch?
Old 22 October 2019, 09:25 PM   #316
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have passed no comment on anyone buying a piece at any price, I have simply answered your question about 'Forum' members not coming forward about buying pieces at 2x or 3x retail.
Old 22 October 2019, 09:29 PM   #317
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Have you never thought that perhaps the reason forum members don't admit to doing this is because it isn't very common - the PP section is full of many passionate watch collectors with the ability to forge strong relationships and the thought of buying something we don't want is simply not on the radar. ::

You said this above, why I ask that. So forum members are passionate watch collectors with the ability to forge strong relationships and do not buy things they do not want. So the buyers who buy from grays at high prices and who buy in bundles or have forced spends are what?

Old 22 October 2019, 09:41 PM   #318
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You said this above, why I ask that. So forum members are passionate watch collectors with the ability to forge strong relationships and do not buy things they do not want. So the buyers who buy from grays at high prices and who buy in bundles or have forced spends are what?

Why are you conflating the two for no good reason, you asked about Forum members and why they don't admit to paying above MSRP. I have given you my thoughts and for some reason you think it follows I am making a comment on people who do pay above MSRP and who aren't on the Forum.
Old 22 October 2019, 09:46 PM   #319
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
My name is Jin.. I am a Patekaholic. I have paid above MSRP multiple times for Aquanaut/Nautilus.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:53 PM   #320
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
My name is Jin.. I am a Patekaholic. I have paid above MSRP multiple times for Aquanaut/Nautilus.
:
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:54 PM   #321
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
The follow up question by some will be... Why are u so proud to have paid more. Why u showing off. U think u better than me? Lol

Love u Jin

U all know I joke.
Old 22 October 2019, 10:24 PM   #322
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... and we are all your sponsors. Or more like anti-sponsors as no-one will ever give you encouragement to really quit!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 22 October 2019, 10:33 PM   #323
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why are you conflating the two for no good reason, you asked about Forum members and why they don't admit to paying above MSRP. I have given you my thoughts and for some reason you think it follows I am making a comment on people who do pay above MSRP and who aren't on the Forum.

So to be clear, you are saying forum members do not buy things they do not want to get what they do or buy from grays at a premium? And this meets your definition of an enthusiast? That's precisely what you said and why I think many will not admit they did either.

Thanks, Jin. We know you ballin over there and don't GAF. No judgement here, enjoy! If I could do it, I would!

Old 22 October 2019, 10:56 PM   #324
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So to be clear, you are saying forum members do not buy things they do not want to get what they do or buy from grays at a premium? And this meets your definition of an enthusiast? That's precisely what you said and why I think many will not admit they did either.
I think you need to re-read what I have said - you have used the word 'enthusiast' not me.
I have made no comment on anyone doing anything except to suggest that the lack of people owning up to buying bundles and paying over MSRP might be because amongst forum members it isn't very common. You seem to be getting very vexed over this issue.
Old 22 October 2019, 10:59 PM   #325
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think you need to re-read what I have said - you have used the word 'enthusiast' not me.

I have made no comment on anyone doing anything except to suggest that the lack of people owning up to buying bundles and paying over MSRP might be because amongst forum members it isn't very common. You seem to be getting very vexed over this issue.

Sorry, "passionate watch collectors".

Ok, got it. So the reason people don't own up to it here is because nobody actually does it.

Old 22 October 2019, 11:02 PM   #326
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry, "passionate watch collectors".

Ok, got it. So the reason people don't own up to it here is because nobody actually does it.

I did say 'not very common' amongst Forum members rather than 'nobody'.
Old 22 October 2019, 11:11 PM   #327
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I did say 'not very common' amongst Forum members rather than 'nobody'.

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, not trying to be a D. Just generally a very inquisitive person, probably should have been a therapist.
Old 22 October 2019, 11:21 PM   #328
Fat_ninja
Banned

Old 23 October 2019, 12:31 AM   #329
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Lol do u even own a non Gold watch?
Ha, at one time that blue Sub was actually my beater watch, but the last 5 watches I have bought have been SS; Rolex, PP, VC, Breitling, Omega.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:33 AM   #330
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Ha, at one time that blue Sub was actually my beater watch, but the last 5 watches I have bought have been SS; Rolex, PP, VC, Breitling, Omega.
Ah. I’ve always thought of u as a gold man :)