The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2019, 12:26 PM   #61
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Not sure why people are saying this is a OCD none issue. In my opinion it would be like Porsche putting the emblem on the hood of their cars crooked. It would never leave the factory that way. The coronet is suppose to be Rolex's logo and brand, the fact they are okay making watches with the logo upside down or sideways is remarkable to me.
Interesting.
You reference a car manufacturer putting their badges upside down. Keeping in mind that a car has a dedicated up and a down.
The last time I checked the logo on the dial of all Rolex watches is up in it's main orientation.

How do you reconcile the vast majority of car manufacturers logo on each of the hub caps not pointing in the right direction whenever the vehicle is stationary. This also includes Porsche.
To that, why is it that people on this forum keep going on about this issue regarding Rolex watches, but neglect to carry on about it with regard to other brands?
Why is Rolex continually being singled out for special mention?
Is it because some of the people who are attracted to the brand on this forum are peanuts?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 02:06 PM   #62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Interesting.
To that, why is it that people on this forum keep going on about this issue regarding Rolex watches, but neglect to carry on about it with regard to other brands?
Why is Rolex continually being singled out for special mention?
Is it because some of the people who are attracted to the brand on this forum are peanuts?
This is something that happens when people buy an aspirational item (or something they can barely afford) that has been way over sold as amazing.

I noticed this when I was a mechanic for BMW. We called it 3 Series disease. People buying 100k+ cars wouldn't blink an eye if there was an issue, but the person that just stretched their budget to get that base model Bimmer, well, they'd acted as if a personal assault was perpetrated against them if the car developed a rattle or failed to make their wildest dreams come true.

These posts about Rolex not meeting mythical levels of perfection feel very familiar to me.
Old 22 October 2019, 02:14 PM   #63
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 View Post
This is something that happens when people buy an aspirational item (or something they can barely afford) that has been way over sold as amazing.

I noticed this when I was a mechanic for BMW. We called it 3 Series disease. People buying 100k+ cars wouldn't blink an eye if there was an issue, but the person that just stretched their budget to get that base model Bimmer, well, they'd acted as if a personal assault was perpetrated against them if the car developed a rattle or failed to make their wildest dreams come true.

These posts about Rolex not meeting mythical levels of perfection feel very familiar to me.
Barking up the wrong tree.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:01 PM   #64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Perhaps. I'm fatigued from all the perfection posts and it manifested here where the OP could have been interpreted lightheartedly.

I wouldn't mind it they all lined up. I have one that does and I am a little hesitant to sent it in for service knowing that if it's replaced, it's likely not to be anymore.
Old 22 October 2019, 03:48 PM   #65
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Only Skydweller lines up.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:51 PM   #66
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Every time I see a thread related to this I tell myself to go see if any of mine are upright. I looked at all of my watches, AP, Rolex, Omega, Hamilton, and not one is perfectly aligned. The horror.

I’m teasing, I can imagine how it would bug some people. But for me I don’t notice it and it doesn’t affect performance so it doesn’t bother me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:59 PM   #67
SearChart
TechXpert

Mine doesn't line up, and I don't care.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:42 PM   #68
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Looks lined up perfectly Bas.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 06:33 PM   #69
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

All mine are different and I don’t care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 06:59 PM   #70
ttman333
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller 43
Maybe I got lucky but my SD43 lines up "true". Would post a picture but have no idea how to!
ttman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:18 PM   #71
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Not sure why people are saying this is a OCD none issue. In my opinion it would be like Porsche putting the emblem on the hood of their cars crooked. It would never leave the factory that way. The coronet is suppose to be Rolex's logo and brand, the fact they are okay making watches with the logo upside down or sideways is remarkable to me.
I'd argue a closer analogy would be someone complaining because when they parked, the logos in the wheel centres didn't all line up.

Rolls Royce have a fix for this. As do Rolex with PM Sky Dwellers (something for which I believe they have a patent)

PM Sky Dwellers aside, the positioning of the logo will change depending on

1) How tight your crown is screwed in
2) Wear on the gasket

Because of this, no matter where Rolex set the positioning to, it will change over time, so I have to guess that its not something that watch makers generally consider necessary on watches with screw down crowns.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:40 PM   #72
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I'd argue a closer analogy would be someone complaining because when they parked, the logos in the wheel centres didn't all line up.

Rolls Royce have a fix for this. As do Rolex with PM Sky Dwellers (something for which I believe they have a patent)

PM Sky Dwellers aside, the positioning of the logo will change depending on

1) How tight your crown is screwed in
2) Wear on the gasket

Because of this, no matter where Rolex set the positioning to, it will change over time, so I have to guess that its not something that watch makers generally consider necessary on watches with screw down crowns.

Personally i'm just plain old thankful that our Rolex watches are so reliable in terms of water resistance. Not to mention mechanically.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:41 PM   #73
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Please make them stop.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:51 PM   #74
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Don't ask me how but my 1979 18078 lines up perfectly ! What baffles me after 5 rsc services where the tube and crowns are replaced. sstoll lines up perfectly when the crown is screwed in all the way..Did a ocd watch maker mater mind this when he taped the the case for the tube ? Beats me.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:54 PM   #75
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Please make them stop.
Have to agree Rolex stopped making one the finest mechanical watches on this planet about 5 years ago, now they only make alignment point watches.Now today Rolex watches are little more than alignment points,plastic stickers,will this go up in value,worrying over a second or so, seems to be most new Rolex owners OCD obsessions.Perhaps Rolex should get rid of these so called alignment points,then everyone's would line up somewhere. But if Rolex did that then many would have nothing to moan about, then perhaps they would start to enjoy wearing there watches.To original poster its a winding crown and guess what its meant to be turned whether its upright or downside up.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:45 PM   #76
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Mine doesn't line up, and I don't care.

That's the same position on my new DJ41 facing East. Funny that my Air King 116900 is in perfect position North..
JoseR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:15 AM   #77
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Darn you guys. I have never once thought about this and now I'm going to have to look at all my watches and see were the crown lies.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:26 AM   #78
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Does Rolex always show their crowns aligned in their catalog???? If so, this is the root of the expectation of crown alignment. I am going to look at some of my Rolex early 90’s catalogs to check. I don’t know when the crown alignment expectation even started???
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:38 AM   #79
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Does Rolex always show their crowns aligned in their catalog???? If so, this is the root of the expectation of crown alignment. I am going to look at some of my Rolex early 90’s catalogs to check. I don’t know when the crown alignment expectation even started???
Well they always show date set for the 28th and time almost at 10 past 10 perhaps we should all permanently fix our watches to what Rolex states in there catalogues.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #80
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Nevermind...padi56 beat me to it.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:47 AM   #81
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I don’t think he is barking up the wrong tree. I think there is a certain element of accuracy in what he said. I see it regularly, be it when I talk to people in person about their watch or it can be read on this forum in dozens of posts every week. People frequently say some variation of “I don’t expect a $10k watch to have these problems, it should be perfect/faultless”.

You are never going to get perfection, and if you did, it sure has hell wouldn’t cost as little as $10k. The issue for many people is that $10k is a lot of money so their expectations are sky high and almost unfulfillable.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 01:54 AM   #82
brandog
Banned

If Rolex took the time and money to R&D and patent a solution for this for the Sky-Dweller that means it bothers them too. Some people care, some people don't, but we all can agree it's suppose to be straight up. So why not just make it that way if they can?
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 02:00 AM   #83
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If Rolex took the time and money to R&D and patent a solution for this for the Sky-Dweller that means it bothers them too. Some people care, some people don't, but we all can agree it's suppose to be straight up. So why not just make it that way if they can?
That is the empirical data that this is a real issue to Rolex. If this was just simple ocd internet madness, then Rolex wouldn’t have done what they did to the Sky-D. If this matters to the owner or not would depend on how important the level of quality control they expect. That’s a moving target that all in itself.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 02:55 AM   #84
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
When folks say the position changes over time...typically to what extent? And does the crown typically move clockwise or counterclockwise? Yes...these questions are silly, but curious anyway.
My explorer was perfectly aligned when new. It was about 25% over clockwise 2 months after owning it.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 02:57 AM   #85
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
It doesn’t annoy me that it’s not aligned, it annoys me that Rolex has never produced one marketing image showing it misaligned. It’s kind of sneaky IMO. I don’t want to go as far to say false advertising, but it’s certainly not an accurate representation of the way 99% of their watches look.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:01 AM   #86
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It doesn’t annoy me that it’s not aligned, it annoys me that Rolex has never produced one marketing image showing it misaligned. It’s kind of sneaky IMO. I don’t want to go as far to say false advertising, but it’s certainly not an accurate representation of the way 99% of their watches look.
They started doing non-aligned pics in their marketing recently.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 03:15 AM   #87
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
They started doing non-aligned pics in their marketing recently.

That’s gotta be operator error Bas
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 07:52 AM   #88
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Crowns look cooler if they're not straight.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 10:22 PM   #89
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
The tech is there . I can't remember the brand but I read a review that the watches case back engraving lines up perfectly level on every watch a patient on the treading. If had to guess Omega ?
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 03:32 AM   #90
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Rolex has never claimed the crown should line up when fully tightened. Even if it does, as the rubber gasket on the crown stem wears out and the crown position will change over time. There is nothing wrong with a misaligned Rolex emblem on the crown.
Exactly! Wasn't even aware of this crown business until reading this thread...live and learn!!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote