The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2019, 06:26 AM   #1
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
My Rolex and "luxury" watch experience

Rolex is the brand that brought me into the luxury, high end, real or whatever you want to call it, watch game. My first watch of significance was a Rolex and over the years my Rolex obsession has turned into a swiss watch obsession. Anyone else have this type experience?
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:45 AM   #2
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I experienced the “inverted bell curve” syndrome. I started out thinking Rolex is the best watch in the world. As I got more into the watch world I realized Rolex is only about mid range and more pedestrian really don’t deserve the level of praise it gets. Now I’m at a point my daily wear is a modern Rolex or Grand Seiko, really appreciate the quality and the versatility it offers at that price point and the fact I can wear it on th beach during the day and go out for dinner in smart casual attire in the evening.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:02 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Rolex is a gateway drug for sure, to a host of other brands like PP, AP, Lange, only thing is most Rolex owners favour the sportier offerings of these brands and they are near impossible to get now for new buyers.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:21 AM   #4
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Mine was a TAG. I wanted a Rolex but wasn’t willing to spend the money at the time. Eventually I ended up at Rolex but instead of moving up to AP or PP, I’m actually starting to branch out towards Grand Seiko, Tudor, Cartier and even Oris. I’m learning to appreciate the design, engineering and history of other makers.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Catatafish
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
Tag Carrera for me which led to Omega then Rolex and now I'm more interested in branching to Damasko or Tudor.
Catatafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I was surfing once during lunch on a work day and I didn’t have a good waterproof watch. I ended up being late for a meeting and ever since I have always appreciated the value of a good waterproof watch.

Started with Tag Aquaracer, then upgraded to an Omega Seamaster and finally found my forever watch, the Rolex Explorer
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:14 AM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Started with Rolex when I was 24 (eons ago), stayed with Rolex for 21 years, tried Cartier, back to Rolex, back to Cartier, and now it is both Rolex and Patek Aquanaut, where I will stay.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:21 AM   #8
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
Rolex is the brand that brought me into the luxury, high end, real or whatever you want to call it, watch game. My first watch of significance was a Rolex and over the years my Rolex obsession has turned into a swiss watch obsession. Anyone else have this type experience?
Yes

There are so many good/great or simply interesting watch manufacturers and references out there that it can become a never ending obsession - this is the only aspect of this hobby which I don’t like. I think it is easy to get carried away, to always obsess about the next one you want while not fully appreciating what you have. Likely there are some more sensible ones amongst us but I suspect they may be few and far between

One day I’ll have a go at a tear down and rebuild service - but it will definitely not be a Rolex. And there I can see another obsession starting - finding non working watches and getting them going again

And so it goes on
Old 18 October 2019, 11:44 AM   #9
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
My first watch of significance was a Rolex and over the years my Rolex obsession has turned into a swiss watch obsession. Anyone else have this type experience?
No. My first watch of significance was a Seiko dive watch. Why? Because it was significant to me. I only liked automatic watches because I was impressed that a purely mechanical device could tell time that well. I knew nothing about higher end watches.

I became impressed with the reliability, longevity, and accuracy of higher cost automatic watches like Tag, and Breitling. I knew the Rolex name, but I didn't know anything about Rolex at first and certainly didn't aspire to own one. When I decided I wanted to spend signifiant money on a high quality, highly accurate automatic watch, I looked to Omega SMP. Then I looked to the Planet Ocean.

I would have bought a Planet Ocean if it wasn't so thick. But as soon as I tried on the Sub it sang to me. Then after I researched the Sub and was convinced it was a good value (accuracy, materials, movement reliability) I got one. I never wanted a luxury watch, I just wanted a great watch. What other watch company (besides Omega) makes $5,000-10,000 36-41 mm dress and sport watches that have the same accuracy, reliability, and style as Rolex? And I happen to think Rolex makes better size "dress watches" (36-41mm and not thick) and better size sports watches (Omega's dive watches are too thick and GMTs have too large a diameter) than Omega.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 07:56 PM   #10
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
I have PP. But still love my Rolexes. Cant compare the both that's why owners have both.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:05 PM   #11
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I was not aware of Rolex status as a luxury item growing up in the 80’s. My parents owned DD and DJ and beat the living hell out of them, and never serviced. They knew I was into watches and always talked about them as the best because they could take punishment and looked good in every situation not because it was a object of status. It’s only later that I learned the luxury aspect to the brand. It’s actually a part of the brand I now really dislike along with the hype of securing the latest hot model. It’s more fashion now and that aspect really turns me off.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:33 PM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I was never brand specific but bought different models I liked. I didn't really like Rolex due to it's ever present rep (Rolex/BMW jerks) and customer of mine had a Sub I noticed one day. In the flesh they are a beautiful watch.

So 2 days later I bought a SeaDweller (not liking the cyclops).

So I have Rolex, UN, Cartier, JLC, Corum, Speake-Marin, Parmigiani and Omega now at the present time but Rolex wasn't the catalyst for me.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:40 PM   #13
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Longines to Omega to Rolex to..........

Thoroughly enjoying getting into all things watches, great fun if a tad pricey at times.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 12:07 AM   #14
aphil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Breitling to Rolex to JLC. Now waiting for a GMT
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 12:13 AM   #15
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Recently bought my first Omega an Aqua Terra, and I have to say I am very impressed. The only problem I have with any of this obsession is the $$.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 12:24 AM   #16
Mperry10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Longines to Omega to Rolex to..........

Thoroughly enjoying getting into all things watches, great fun if a tad pricey at times.
Same journey for me, a Longines Flagship Heritage followed by an Omega Speedmaster Pro and am on a wait list for a No Date Sub.
Mperry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 12:42 AM   #17
Ceaiu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Stowa -> Sinn -> Breitling -> Rolex
hopefully next is an Ulysse Nardin
Ceaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 05:24 AM   #18
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Started with Omega before moving to Rolex, though I retained a Speedmaster Pro. Have enjoyed quite a few Rolexes though the years and still have a number, not least of all due to a friend who also happened to be a Rolex (and Omega) AD. It a bit sad how things have now ended up with them and the anguish etc that has now emerged, particularly regarding lack of availability and ridiculous over pricing. It's a rea pity it has gone that way with very little sign of a downturn. I am lucky that I got into Rolex when things were not quite as crazy, but if I was starting out again right now I don't really know if I would go with them?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 05:45 AM   #19
ganagati
"TRF" Member

I went the opposite way. I jumped into the watch game with an IWC. I really liked the AP Royal Oak, but couldn’t justify the $8000 they were asking.......hindsight.....

When I started looking, I actively avoided Rolex, thinking they were for schmucks who wanted status more than a good watch. I moved into Panerai when I wanted something more robust, still with the same stance on Rolex.

After many years of lugging around a watch much too big for my wrist, I gave into the fact that I’d been the judgmental snob. I was the one characterizing Rolex owners, who, by and large, were guys who like nice watches.

Of course there are those who fuel the stereotype, but what’s on my wrist has nothing to do with them. If I needed a solid, do-anything type watch that would hold up to whatever I do, while having timeless styling and good proportions, there’s nothing better for me than a SS sports Rolex. For the last two years, the SD4K has been perfect. ....but that BLNR........if only I could find one to try on....
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 05:47 AM   #20
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I’ve never been exclusively Rolex, although it is now the foundation of my collection. Basically as a teenager I wanted dress watches. Then for 30 years I only wanted “tough” sports watches. There is really only one Rolex I desperately want that I don’t have at the moment, an 116518 champagne panda.

My salesperson at my AD had me try on an ALS Saxonia thin a few months ago. Really fell in love with the beautiful simplicity of the watch. I bought it a few weeks later.

5E5E24B4-789F-4CED-B782-590EE169F6E0.jpeg

Now I’m really liking the idea of finishing off my collection with an AP Royal Oak Chrono (white panda or blue dial), a PP Calatrava and a Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual time or Chrono (blue dial).

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:15 PM   #21
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I was surfing once during lunch on a work day and I didn’t have a good waterproof watch. I ended up being late for a meeting and ever since I have always appreciated the value of a good waterproof watch.

Started with Tag Aquaracer, then upgraded to an Omega Seamaster and finally found my forever watch, the Rolex Explorer
Almost identical story - surfing with no watch and wanted something I could wear from corporate world to ocean and back again to work in the pm. Went Tag Aquaracer, then Seamaster, and finally Rolex Sea Dweller.

I see Kelly Slater is now working with Breitling and there is a KS model. I think Rolex should reach out to him to be a brand ambassador. 11x world titles.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:26 PM   #22
Kevain
"TRF" Member

From a heavily discounted Tag Heuer Link over a nicely discounted Omega Planet Ocean to a no discount Rolex Explorer.

I still have all three, but mainly alternate between the Omega and the Rolex.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:14 PM   #23
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
In my early 20's I was around a lot of people that wore expensive watches. I became interested in Rolex in particular back then after reading about the Company's history. I started out with a DJ always inspiring to own a DD some day. Went through 3 Rolex's and ended up with a DD in my late 20's. Then got married and sold it since other things became more important. I have owned at least 15-20 Rolex's now but only can have 1 or 2 at a time since I cant have that much sitting around in the safe.

I have gone through many watches and many brands including Omega, Breitling, Seiko, Grand Seiko, Sinn, Steinhart, Bathys. But I always come back to Rolex. I dont know what it is but wearing a Rolex I always feel better. I guess I have become a true Rolex snob and other than my Grand Seiko (which I may sell soon with my 2nd Rolex coming today) nothing else has done it for me for any length of time.

This Forum has also been a bad influence with buying/selling/trading and living less than a hour from David makes it way to easy to move stuff around.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote