The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2019, 08:23 PM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
Try the Yukon Denali or Cadillac Escalade. Maybe you’ll like the interior better. I was all but sold on the Denali; my wife on the other hand preferred the Q7. It came down to her hating the Denali and me liking both so I went with the Q7. I’m extremely happy with the Q7 but every time I see a Denali I think about what could have been.
Huge fan. Too much chrome for me though. I want my vehicle all murdered out!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 08:25 PM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
If you haven't driven the Tesla model S do so. It is a rocket ship, awesome tech, great ride and never have to go to the gas station ever again
No plug ins for me just yet. I like the rumble of an engine. I admire them, for sure. But just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Given you don’t like the styling of the standard Cayenne, check out the coupe version, it looks better - though the front end remains gopping.

If I were in the market for a big, spacious, luxurious rocket-ship I would be looking at an Audi RS6 Avant and no further.

I had mentioned above, I have a Coupe on order (with no obligation). I think I will like the styling much better. However, I still think it is not for me. Not just yet anyway. And rocket ship for my daily is not my priority. Balls, yes, definitely. But I am looking for a relaxed ride with the power when I need it.

Old 8 October 2019, 08:30 PM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Your choices seem to be all over the place as far as size is concerned. I would keep it in the smaller side and look at the Macan Turbo and the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio (drove this recently and it's really impressive).
that is an extremely curious observation. And an even more curious suggestion.

Out of that entire list, they are all, except two, midsize SUV's. And those two are only marginally bigger than the rest.

The Macan is an incredible car. I actually just bought one (an S) for my wife a few weeks ago, and I love it. She does too. However, a curious suggestion because it is a crossover and way smaller than anything I have listed above.

I do like some size in an SUV. Right now, I am in a Range Rover Sport. The full size is really just a small bit bigger being only 5" longer and 2" taller.

Old 8 October 2019, 08:31 PM   #34
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
2020 x7 m50 would be my choice if I had to pull the trigger now. BMWs tend to lease well and it’s a really nice ride.
they did a great job on this vehicle. I really like it a lot. I just don't need that much space. 3 rows of seating is lost on me.

Old 8 October 2019, 08:32 PM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
FWIW I’d go Range Rover every day!!

You’ve discounted the XC90 without driving it. Although it’s not as glamorous as Porsche et al it’s an unbelievable car!
Work have put me in to an S90 from BMW and it’s really surprised me just how good it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am certain you are right about the Volvo. And I really like how it looks. I just don't want a plug in. Not my style. Not yet anyway. Hopefully not for a long time.

Old 8 October 2019, 09:09 PM   #36
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
that is an extremely curious observation. And an even more curious suggestion.

Out of that entire list, they are all, except two, midsize SUV's. And those two are only marginally bigger than the rest.

The Macan is an incredible car. I actually just bought one (an S) for my wife a few weeks ago, and I love it. She does too. However, a curious suggestion because it is a crossover and way smaller than anything I have listed above.

I do like some size in an SUV. Right now, I am in a Range Rover Sport. The full size is really just a small bit bigger being only 5" longer and 2" taller.
That reason I suggested these two....I am assuming you just want something with a higher ride height than a car, so the Stelvio and Macan are going to be much more nimble and car like but still give cargo space.
I have driven both the new Cayenne Turbo and Macan Turbo extensively (few hundred miles each), and the Macan has much more “feel”.
My observation regarding size comes from the fact that you are comparing a Tahoe to a G Wagen, to a Range Rover sport. The G is a great vehicle that feels like a 6 figure Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, while the Tahoe feels like you are sitting on a couch with the interior of a Chevy Cruze. The Range Rover sport is a cramped interior and continues to be worst in class reliability (my personal observations).
If you want a true truck type SUV that is not just a awd overweight wagon, might want to check the Toyota Land Cruiser.
Based on your list it is very hard to decipher what is important to you in a vehicle.
Old 8 October 2019, 09:27 PM   #37
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
G-wagon or Range Rover Sport. If G-wagon is hard to secure in th US then go Sport.
Old 8 October 2019, 09:34 PM   #38
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That reason I suggested these two....I am assuming you just want something with a higher ride height than a car, so the Stelvio and Macan are going to be much more nimble and car like but still give cargo space.
I have driven both the new Cayenne Turbo and Macan Turbo extensively (few hundred miles each), and the Macan has much more “feel”.
My observation regarding size comes from the fact that you are comparing a Tahoe to a G Wagen, to a Range Rover sport. The G is a great vehicle that feels like a 6 figure Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, while the Tahoe feels like you are sitting on a couch with the interior of a Chevy Cruze. The Range Rover sport is a cramped interior and continues to be worst in class reliability (my personal observations).
If you want a true truck type SUV that is not just a awd overweight wagon, might want to check the Toyota Land Cruiser.
Based on your list it is very hard to decipher what is important to you in a vehicle.

Again, I find that curious. I was simply listing all of the vehicles I checked out.

In my mind, they are all actually pretty similar. All mid size luxury SUV's.

The Tahoe, while not nearly as luxurious as a G wagon, is still a great vehicle. And I am pretty clear that I don't think the Tahoe has nice enough amenities and that the G wagon is too much for me.

I personally find the RRS to be quite open in comparison to the Audi or the BMW. That is one of the things that drew me to it. I went into it from a Grand Cherokee and it is far larger than that. I am huge fan of the RRS. It is just that I have had 3 and I would like something different this time around.

The reason I like the full size and the Tahoe is the bit of extra space. Which I actually don't need. But for some reason I do want. I also do love the incredible ability in inclement weather. They are both beasts. More so than the RRS the Porsche or any of the list besides the G Wagon.

Great suggestion with the Toyota. Abdullah made the same suggestion offline a few weeks ago. I have debated that and read a few reviews over the last week or so. I might just go ahead and drive one of those before making a final call. Better to be safe and check em all out.

Old 8 October 2019, 09:58 PM   #39
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In my mind, they are all actually pretty similar. All mid size luxury SUV's.

:
Maybe by technical definition, I am just basing off of my own experience, but to me the RR sport and G Wagon are compact, where the Tahoe is full size. The others I agree. As much as I like the G wagon, if we are being honest, it has a cramped interior, and feels like a tin can. Just opening and closing the doors makes you scratch your head at the cost. I like it because of the cool factor, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it luxurious.

Definitely check out the Land Cruiser...maybe the last of its kind in a world filled with crossover wagons disguised as trucks. It’s a real gem.
The market has become flooded with grocery getters and sedans on stilts.
Old 8 October 2019, 11:13 PM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe by technical definition, I am just basing off of my own experience, but to me the RR sport and G Wagon are compact, where the Tahoe is full size. The others I agree. As much as I like the G wagon, if we are being honest, it has a cramped interior, and feels like a tin can. Just opening and closing the doors makes you scratch your head at the cost. I like it because of the cool factor, but I certainly wouldn’t consider it luxurious.

Definitely check out the Land Cruiser...maybe the last of its kind in a world filled with crossover wagons disguised as trucks. It’s a real gem.
The market has become flooded with grocery getters and sedans on stilts.
Understood. I get your point.

I’ve been into the SUV thing since the very beginning. Starting with a Bronco 2 and then the two door pathfinder. Both from the early 90’s.

The grocery getter comment seems to transcend all styles of car considering even the hottest of sports cars gets that moniker as well.

I’m a driver tho. My few month old 911 has over 5k miles already and that’s just a weekender. I drive circa 30k miles a year. Give or take.

I do think at the end of the day the range suits me and my goals best. One of the best driving experiences I’ve ever had was in a massive snowstorm with my Jeep Wrangler at the time. I can do the same thing in the full size and still get the comfort and luxury I’m looking for. It also presents a certain imagine, but imo, it’s not over the top.

Still stopping by Toyota today. Just for the fun of it.

Thanks for the discussion.

Old 8 October 2019, 11:22 PM   #41
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I was going to say Denali or Escalade too... But, how about a different route?:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2058586.html
Old 8 October 2019, 11:33 PM   #42
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

The G is a different level than the rest, but you need to be 100% on it for the price. Buy don't lease these. Especially with accelerated depreciation if you put it through the business. You can find them on occasion at msrp, changed mind, or allocation. 550 market much softer than the 63 as you know. A little luck and perseverance required but they can be had.

Otherwise, since you like performance (not SVR level) the X5M or Porsche are probably the way to go. Full size RR if luxury is the driver, they still can get up and go with V8.

As for the GLS, I'm somewhat disappointed. More or less an upgraded GLE, nowhere near the "S" Class experience that many expected. E class level finishes. Going with the 580 trim does get you some better goodies but for that coin I'd look at other options.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 11:38 PM   #43
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:

Full Size Range Rover: my current favorite. Super comfortable. Tons of power and just a very chill comfortable ride.
I have had a L405 FFRR (SE) for nearly three years and it is my second.
I have enjoyed the car and prefer it over the RRsports (I have had two)
I find it makes me drive far more sedately than any other car I have owned.

I have not had any problems with this car (and few problems in any of the 7 JLR cars I have owned for twenty odd years) which is a good job because the UK dealers seem inept at sorting even tiny niggles.

I'd like to swap the car but can’t decide what to go for – so I may end up keeping it another year. JLR have just sent me an (£1000 for the extra year) extended warranty option, which I will certainly add if I keep it.

I have looked at loads of cars and still prefer the FFRR. (even though I really would like a change of brand)

The things that bother me, which you may consider important?:
The car is due a major makeover, and the new model is tipped to be with us in a couple of years.
Large diesel cars are being demonized in the UK and charges to travel in cities are being levied on them, so the residuals in the UK are terrible. (My twenty thousand mile, three year old car is worth less than a third of the same specced car new) The hybrid version really is only a nod in the direction of green technology, but in the UK will I anticipate will hold value better - which doesn't really matter if you lease?
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 11:51 PM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
The G is a different level than the rest, but you need to be 100% on it for the price. Buy don't lease these. Especially with accelerated depreciation if you put it through the business. You can find them on occasion at msrp, changed mind, or allocation. 550 market much softer than the 63 as you know. A little luck and perseverance required but they can be had.

Otherwise, since you like performance (not SVR level) the X5M or Porsche are probably the way to go. Full size RR if luxury is the driver, they still can get up and go with V8.

As for the GLS, I'm somewhat disappointed. More or less an upgraded GLE, nowhere near the "S" Class experience that many expected. E class level finishes. Going with the 580 trim does get you some better goodies but for that coin I'd look at other options.

Great feedback. Thank you for posting.

Old 8 October 2019, 11:53 PM   #45
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I was going to say Denali or Escalade too... But, how about a different route?:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2058586.html
I have seen these. And definitely worth the thought. I really like the "do anything" that this car brings to the table. I like how unique it is as well.

thanks brother.

Old 8 October 2019, 11:57 PM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I have had a L405 FFRR (SE) for nearly three years and it is my second.
I have enjoyed the car and prefer it over the RRsports (I have had two)
I find it makes me drive far more sedately than any other car I have owned.

I have not had any problems with this car (and few problems in any of the 7 JLR cars I have owned for twenty odd years) which is a good job because the UK dealers seem inept at sorting even tiny niggles.

I'd like to swap the car but can’t decide what to go for – so I may end up keeping it another year. JLR have just sent me an (£1000 for the extra year) extended warranty option, which I will certainly add if I keep it.

I have looked at loads of cars and still prefer the FFRR. (even though I really would like a change of brand)

The things that bother me, which you may consider important?:
The car is due a major makeover, and the new model is tipped to be with us in a couple of years.
Large diesel cars are being demonized in the UK and charges to travel in cities are being levied on them, so the residuals in the UK are terrible. (My twenty thousand mile, three year old car is worth less than a third of the same specced car new) The hybrid version really is only a nod in the direction of green technology, but in the UK will I anticipate will hold value better - which doesn't really matter if you lease?
appreciate the comment.

I have similar thoughts. I really do like the brand. Not sure what else I would want to move to. Clearly, I am debating a lot. But not sure it will really be a possibility. Maybe the Chevy that Clark mentions. I don't really need all the luxury. and I like the utility of the Tahoe.

I am avoiding hybrid as long as I can. I am okay with the makeover. From the research I have done it is mostly to the chassis and the tech. I actually backed out of this car a few times because of the remake, but I think I am at peace with it. we will see.

while leaning hard in this direction, I am definitely not sold on anything. and I am enjoying the process immensely.

I like the idea of being able to stop by, take a look, fall in love and buy a car. it is mostly a very new concept for me. I kind of want to prolong it...which goes against my nature.

Old 9 October 2019, 12:15 AM   #47
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Out of all of the SUVs you listed, I think I'd spend my pennies on the Volvo. Before you gasp & gawk that I'd pass on a Cayenne Turbo or a G-wagen, I think that the fit & finish of the Volvo is on par with that of its German counterparts. The tech is there, the styling is beautiful & the ride is very nice. For whatever reason, I don't see many Volvos, let alone brand new Volvos in my day-to-day (versus what seems like every third person has a BMW SUV), so the rarity card might play to your favor. You live in NJ so you'll inevitably have to deal with snow. I am curious how well the Volvo does in the snow, though. Their AWD systems aren't at the top of their class IMO.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 12:17 AM   #48
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
I have seen these. And definitely worth the thought. I really like the "do anything" that this car brings to the table. I like how unique it is as well.

thanks brother.
Definitely a stealth monster
Let me know if you go to Limerick PA to take a look, it's under an hour from me. Could try and meet for lunch etc
Old 9 October 2019, 12:18 AM   #49
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m a driver tho. My few month old 911 has over 5k miles already and that’s just a weekender. I drive circa 30k miles a year. Give or take.
Right there as well! When I feel like driving for pleasure, my Cayman does the trick. When I need to throw a hockey bag or tent in the back and head to the mountains, my Wrangler unlimited works well, and when I want to look cool at the gas station, the 67 Mustang fits the bill.
I like vehicles which are purpose built. Seems that today everyone is trying to have all aspects and roll into 1 vehicle....I guess it’s good for people who only own 1 vehicle
Have fun shopping!
Old 9 October 2019, 01:29 AM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
they did a great job on this vehicle. I really like it a lot. I just don't need that much space. 3 rows of seating is lost on me.
Just leave them folded down. It is no bigger than a tahoe or gls. When I looked at it on the lot it seemed trivially larger than the x5.
Old 9 October 2019, 01:58 AM   #51
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I would say if for mid size SUV, I would check out the Dodge Grand Cherokee Trackhawk; 707hp is wonderful for the heart health!

For large SUV, I would say the Lincoln Navigator. The 450hp EcoBoost is very capable, plus I find the interior much more appealing than that in the Escalade.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 02:35 AM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Appreciate the comments folks.

I’m back and forth. My dealership just sent me a black on black turbo cayanne with 5k miles. I actually think it looks really good. Going to check it out in person.

No rash decisions. But I’ll be sure to update if anything new happens.

Old 9 October 2019, 03:07 AM   #53
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Since you are on the American SUV tree, do yourself a favor and do check out the Dodge Durango SRT, it will make you laugh and giggle and it looks tough ass. Lots of great new tech features too.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 03:27 AM   #54
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

How do you feel about the Q8? I got my wife an Audi a few months ago and took the Q8 for a test drive and was very impressed.

Quote:
Possibility of my giving my lease to my lead engineer. His Explorer is about to die at around 160k miles.

Figured I’d provide some feedback.

Full Size Range Rover: my current favorite. Super comfortable. Tons of power and just a very chill comfortable ride.

Audi Q8: I love this vehicle. Feels great. Looks great. The tech is awesome. Not as much power as I’d prefer.

Volvo XC90: I love the look and the tech. The 400hp variant is plug in. I didn’t even drive it. Maybe shame on me, but I’m not there yet. Not sure I ever will be. But it appears I might not have a choice in the future.

Chevy Tahoe: super comfortable. Very secure driving experience. Surprisingly nimble for something so large. I felt the interior is not exactly what I’m looking for. But I’m an enormous fan.

BMW X50 M: I was blown away by this car. Tons of balls. Drove great. The tech is incredible. Absolutely incredible. You can raise and lower the volume in the air with hand gestures. I don’t love the styling. Not as aggressive as I want. But what an amazing vehicle.

Range Rover Sport SVR: it’s lovely to be sure. Sounds incredible. Super fast. But something was missing to me. Maybe it’s just so similar to what I have. I did not love it. Also not sure I want THAT much power everyday.

2019 Mercedes G550: gosh I love this. Not paying 25k over. Option for quite a few used ones out there. All at around MSRP. I just don’t think I’d feel comfortable taking it to a job site. My team says I’m being stupid and that it’s the perfect car for me. But if I’m questioning now, I know how I’ll feel when I get it.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo: clearly just incredible. But I don’t love the styling. For that price, I’ve got to love it all. The coupe, which I do love, is coming out and I have one built and on order with no commitment necessary. Similar to the G Wagon though, not sure how I’d feel pulling up in it. Maybe on the next go around.

Only thing I have interest in but haven’t driven yet is the GLE. The 580 is months away.

Interestingly enough, the X5M, the SQ8, the Cayenne Turbo Coupe and the GLE 580 are all months away. Surprising to me but it appears like they all plan this accordingly. I suppose they do.

I’m interested in each of those. But I also don’t think I want my daily to be a race car. I want some balls, sure. But I just don’t think I need the sport suspension, harder seats, and the extreme HP for 30,000 miles a year.

Anyway, it’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted anything about cars. And this has been fun. Anything else anyone recommends I look at?

joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 03:37 AM   #55
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Since you are on the American SUV tree, do yourself a favor and do check out the Dodge Durango SRT, it will make you laugh and giggle and it looks tough ass. Lots of great new tech features too.
Plus one, Seth if your open to other options definitely check out the Durango SRT or Grand Cherokee SRT/Trackhawk, good looking, roomy, lots of tech and balls
Old 9 October 2019, 03:38 AM   #56
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I thought the Q8 was incredible. One of the most impressive cars Ive ever driven.

My challenge is going from 518hp to mid 300. I just couldn’t do it. Maybe when the SQ8 comes out.

Old 9 October 2019, 03:46 AM   #57
SonnyAK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc TT
The G Wagon is tough to beat and the Land Cruiser is an incredible vehicle that you don't see too often around the block! We have a TD5 diesel Land Rover Discovery and it's been an awesome vehicle for the last 2 years. Doesn't stand out as much as the RR but has a lot of great amenities, tons of power, and is an awesome driver to rack up the miles. Good luck with the search, that's half the fun!
Old 9 October 2019, 04:57 AM   #58
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I just purchased a new Macan S and I love every second of it! The Macan Turbo would even be better! However, compared to the other vehicles you mentioned the Macan is smaller.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 05:04 AM   #59
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm not sure exactly where you are on this journey ...

But

If its not Tahoe ++ size i find it hard pressed to find a better value than an actual X5///M not a 5.0 m line which is amazing as well but the actual M is a beast. Snows in the winter pss's in the summer and man that things HAUL's a$$! It defies physics as well, its too heavy to do what it does.

Good Luck replacing the RR.
Old 9 October 2019, 05:11 AM   #60
ecmgbob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118239
You may not know this but a moderately appointed Bentley Bentayga V-8 with a sticker of $189K can be enjoyed for less if you negotiate properly and stay away from the big cities. Not far from the FF Range Rover and a level up on everything else you are considering.

Check out www.stl.cars, they currently have two to choose from. Ask for Mark Wetzel, the Bentley brand specialist. They ship cars worldwide as well (Full disclosure, my family are investors in this dealership). Mods, please pull my post if I am in any way in violation of any rules of the forum...
ecmgbob is offline   Reply With Quote