The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
1HotBoss70

Watch: "V" GMT IIc
Work Issue

I have had it.....I want to move on...but of course financially I can't.....I enjoy the job I do, and enjoy the line of work I do....but my current position is becoming more frustrating each day.....

My boss and I don't see eye to eye.....I am not one to "kiss ass" I tell it as I see it...and I don't think he likes it this way....he enjoys having everyone bow to him and go with his flow....nothing I do or say is out of the norm....I just want fairness and less nepotism....

He has mentioned that he "has not warmed up to me".....but I get the job done, and do it well....

But I feel at times that I think he is trying to wear me down...and its working....sarcasm in his emails, continued nepotism...or is it that I am just being insecure...

I do want to break the ice, and begin seeing eye to eye...but the harder I try the more frustrating it gets...

HELP
1HotBoss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
I think it's time to look elsewhere.

I'm in kinda the same position your in.

I absolutely HATE my job. The pay is terrible, and I'm just all around miserable. Everyday I'm looking for a different job, but the job market currently sucks. With my current job, if my boss all of a sudden came up to me and said "your fired", those would be the two best words I would ever hear in my entire life.

Just keep your head high, and LOOK AROUND !!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 12:53 AM   #3
NW_watch_fan

Watch: Sub/Date SS 16610
I'd agree with Mike B. Get your resume out there. But, at the same time, stay focused on the job you have. When you have the new job in hand then move on. And when you go, don't burn any bridges (as tempting as it will be). Time has a funny way of changing things. Best of luck.
NW_watch_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 02:59 AM   #4
larsr
"TRF" Member

I've found in the past that an honest, non-confrontational discussion can often clear the air. I straight forward discussion that recognizes the obvious (he hasn't "warmed" to you) and tries to identify the problems and how to improve the working relationship.

YMMV...
larsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 10:36 AM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
It is better to find a job when you have one so hang in there and start the search.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 11:22 AM   #6
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Better to be happy where you work...even if it means less $$. The guy doesn't sound like he's gonna change.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 11:27 AM   #7
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Work environments are getting worse. I agree it's time to look for a better opportunity.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 11:45 AM   #8
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HotBoss70 View Post
I am not one to "kiss ass" I tell it as I see it...and I don't think he likes it this way....he enjoys having everyone bow to him and go with his flow....

I lived that way for 15 years at a five star hotel and twenty years as an LEO. On my last day, just as the boss is telling me he's gonna suspend me; I tell him; I'm retiring immediately. It’s very liberating!

What I have found is that it’s hard to tell truth to power. Einstein said, “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” If you are a leader where you work and your boss isn’t, he’s not going to warm up to you. Keep the sarcastic emails; send them to your home email, they may come in handy later.

Leaders lead, they take responsibility for their actions and the actions of their people. Managers manage to get to work, manage to eat their lunch, manage to make it through the day and manage to go home without making much of a difference.

Like Mike B said, keep your head high; just don’t give them too much of a target to kick your teeth out. Good luck.

David
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 12:14 PM   #9
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATE-JUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
It is better to find a job when you have one so hang in there and start the search.
I second that
Old 20 October 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrolexes View Post
I second that

X3 !!!!

Better to search for the right job while working so financially you wont be disadvantaged.

John
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Number one. Life is too short to go to a job you do not like.

Start looking for another job while you have this one. It is a lot less stressful if you don't have any additional financial headaches while you are making the transition. It will also force you take a good look at the pros and cons of where you are compared to where you may move to.

When you have problems with your boss a good frank discussion can often settle things before you decide to throw in the towel.

However it goes good luck.
Old 20 October 2010, 01:09 PM   #12
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Life is way to short....and having a job you hate or dont like will take it toll on you in the long run......look for a new job....even in this sucky market and move on ASAP.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 04:33 AM   #13
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I feel the same way quite often these days. I might go looking myself soon if things do not improve.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 06:07 AM   #14
colpol
"TRF" Member

I know exactly how you feel - been there in same situation

Apologies if anyone heard this before

I'd previously had 12 years of good service with a company - promotion, good pay rises & really enjoyed my job but then a new boss & things went from bad to worse over a 4 year period.

What brought things to a head was back in late 2004 when my dad died of cancer. He was about 6/ 7 weeks in hospital & towards the end watching him & others round about him pass away brought home to me that life was indeed to short to take daily crap off someone I wanted to knock out everytime we met up.

However, I stuck it out for a further 18 months but with a plan in mind. I cleared my debts bar my home mortguage so my car was paid off, no credit card debit etc & put a bit of cash away plus bought myself my Rolex SD in March 2005. April 2006 - handed my notice in, worked my 12 weeks & left the day before I turned 40.

Left on the thur, birthday on the friday & we headed off to Spain on holiday on the sun. It was start of school holidays so saw them out & then late Aug once my daughter back at school started applying for other jobs. Took me 6 weeks to get a contract & been contracting ever since.

Its been hard sometimes especially as one contract ends & I've got to get another but the plus side is - contracts pay better than permo, all the jobs I've had bar the one I'm on now have been close to home & my home life has been much better. The most important thing though is that I'm a lot happier.

My advise is : - don't do anything rash, get a good CV & start looking about for something else. Leave on your terms when you've got something else & leave with your head held high

Something someone said to me after I'd left was that I should have spoke to HR & made my position\ feelings official but wasn't something I considered at time

Anyway - hope it all works out
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 06:39 AM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
It's too bad that you have to live with this, keep your chin up, keep looking, better times are around the corner.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 07:17 AM   #16
GinGinD

I've got a little different take on this. It might, quite simply, be a communication issue or a personality conflict. I wonder if what you think of as telling it as you see it, he thinks of as being confrontational. Perhaps he's on another forum right now saying "I enjoy my job and my line of work but I've got this one guy who works for me who's just not a team player. He's always trying to undermine me. HELP."

Not saying you are, only that he might see it that way. Especially if he's a tad insecure. Perhaps younger than the rest of you, less experienced in the field, or--since you mentioned nepotism--a member of the big boss's family who maybe feels he has something to prove.

I'm with the folks that think you should have a chat before chucking in a job you say you like. Get his assistant to put you on his calendar for 20 minutes one morning. Show up with coffee and doughnuts and sit down to talk. Tell him you recognize you both have the same goal--get the job done as quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively as possible. Tell him you think you maybe have more to offer than he's previously recognized. Ask him how he'd prefer you to make suggestions or offer feedback. It might not be the things you say, but the way you deliver (again, especially if he's not necessarily as confident as he seems). He might prefer email. A lot of people do. Do you try things his way before rejecting them? Maybe you should.

If you don't know quite how to approach him, ask someone who does have a good relationship with him what they think is the best way. But don't ask one of his superiors; he might think you're going over his head.

It's worth a try it seems to me, for a job and a field you like. Especially in the current economy.

Then again, he may be a jerk and you may need to quit.

But at least you'll know you did everything right.

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 08:46 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm with Jeannie...

Doing your own thing and "telling it like it is", can only go so far when you work for somebody or with somebody... We all don't see with the same pair of eyes...........
Old 21 October 2010, 08:53 AM   #18
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
if it cannot be resolved then keep working but start looking elsewhere. please keep in mind that you may require a reference from your current employer.
Old 21 October 2010, 08:56 AM   #19
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Jeannie and Larry have wisdom behind their words... do not dicount them.
Old 22 October 2010, 07:42 AM   #20
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I would look elsewhere, he is giving you enough hints.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote