The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 March 2014, 12:45 AM   #1
boon626
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Need advice 1st Sub 1680 purchase

Hi,

I'm new to vintage Rolex and this could be my 1st vintage Rolex. Hence I need some of your help.

I recently have a friend offer to sale his 1680 white sub to me and I was told it has no box and paper and the serial is 6150000-N, model is 1680.

Attached herewith some pics for reference. Many thanks in advance for all the help!

My questions are:
1. When is the production date? i tried to look up but not sure of the N prefix at the end. Is the serial and the model correct.

2. What movement should be in the case if I pop up the case? Any pictures will be much appreciated.

3. Any way to authenticate it's originality just by looking at watch?

4. What is the reasonable market price for this watch if I am to offer to purchase this 1680 from my friend.

Cheers and have a nice day to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.
boon626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2014, 12:51 AM   #2
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Vintage serial numbers as far as I know do not have letters in them. So I will only speak on what I can see. The dial and hands look to be in great shape and have beautiful patina. Has a nice fat font insert. Pearl seems to have been replaced or has some tritium loss. Definitely not a deal breaker.hard to see the case but it does not seem to be over polished. But we would need better pictures for a better assessment.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2014, 01:14 AM   #3
boon626
"TRF" Member

Thanks Kevin, so if without the N, the production date will be circa 1979-80?

Is it possible to tell the dial version? Ie izit a Mark VI or VII?

Any idea of the "reasonable" offer price to purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Old 23 March 2014, 05:29 AM   #4
magnetized
"TRF" Member

Watch: aHolic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon626 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to vintage Rolex and this could be my 1st vintage Rolex. Hence I need some of your help.

I recently have a friend offer to sale his 1680 white sub to me and I was told it has no box and paper and the serial is 6150000-N, model is 1680.

Attached herewith some pics for reference. Many thanks in advance for all the help!

My questions are:
1. When is the production date? i tried to look up but not sure of the N prefix at the end. Is the serial and the model correct.

2. What movement should be in the case if I pop up the case? Any pictures will be much appreciated.

3. Any way to authenticate it's originality just by looking at watch?

4. What is the reasonable market price for this watch if I am to offer to purchase this 1680 from my friend.

Cheers and have a nice day to you all.

Nice sub
magnetized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2014, 06:04 AM   #5
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon626 View Post
Thanks Kevin, so if without the N, the production date will be circa 1979-80?

Is it possible to tell the dial version? Ie izit a Mark VI or VII?

Any idea of the "reasonable" offer price to purchase?

Thanks in advance!

I wish I could help you more but I'm still learning as well. As far as a fair price it would really depend on what comes with it and when it was serviced last. I see them sell for between 4 and 6k depending on condition and accessories. How much does your friend want?
Old 23 March 2014, 06:06 AM   #6
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Looks like a nice watch.

First thing, please verify the serial number. If possible, take a picture and post. You definitely do not want to see a letter on it. Also, check the case back and the movement reference number.

It is hard to tell from the pics, it appears the second hand has some corrosion, which is fine, but the hour and minute hands do not show the corrosion...they could be replaced. Again, check very carefully. This is not a big deal but just to make you aware of what could have been swapped along the way.

The dial appears to be a Mk-2. If possible take pics with all the writing exposed.

While I would like to discuss pricing, it is not the same in the US as in your side of the pond.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need further assistance along the way or just post here in the forum!

Good Luck!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2014, 06:20 AM   #7
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Looks like a nice watch.

First thing, please verify the serial number. If possible, take a picture and post. You definitely do not want to see a letter on it. Also, check the case back and the movement reference number.

It is hard to tell from the pics, it appears the second hand has some corrosion, which is fine, but the hour and minute hands do not show the corrosion...they could be replaced. Again, check very carefully. This is not a big deal but just to make you aware of what could have been swapped along the way.

The dial appears to be a Mk-2. If possible take pics with all the writing exposed.

While I would like to discuss pricing, it is not the same in the US as in your side of the pond.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need further assistance along the way or just post here in the forum!

Good Luck!

Yea your right about the money. I didn't realize where he was from. Hands definitely look to be original. The second hand just appears to have started to corrode on one end of it. Seems to be a very nice sub.
Old 23 March 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
boon626
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the reply.

The watch is offered to me at USD5500, without paper and on Nato strap as per photo. Should I make a counter offer? Watch with dial at this patina & condition seems rare in my side of the world...

I will try to verified the serial and try to upload a few more detail pics if possible.

He did offer to do a authentication at Rolex center though. He does mentioned that the watch might need to do a service. I'm not sure if Rolex center service would change the dial & bezel which IMHO looks very nice and is the main reason that spark my interest in this watch!

Old 23 March 2014, 02:45 PM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Without confusing you, I believe the dial has closed "6s" which would make it a Mark III dial which is correct for the serial number. The font is also a little thicker on the Mark III and the "F" in feet is slightly different as well as the opening in the coronet. Both the Mark II and III are very similar.

Doesn't appear to be in too bad of shape considering the age of the watch.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

dial and hands are nice - case has seen much better days, which is a shame.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2014, 04:36 AM   #11
Snapper7
"TRF" Member

Looks a nice Sub.
Yes if 6mil serial number then late 70s is when it was made.
The white Sub had four dial variations (red Subs had more hence why people state mkVI etc). I'd need to refresh my memory but yes mkII or mkIII. Definitely not a service dial.

The movement will be 1570 but understand some were marked 1575 - can anyone confirm if that's the case and why re 1575 refs.

Some really nice things about that watch like the matching hands and dial patina. Although the dark yellow is not to everyone's taste. Also you have the fat font insert which is another nice to have.
Bear in mind that a bracelet is approximately £500GPB so I think USD5500 sounds a bit strong but as stated by others, not sure how these watches are priced in your part of the world.

As to verifying originality by just looking, that's tough.

Cheers
SS
Snapper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2014, 05:42 AM   #12
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I love the color of the patina on the plots. $5,500 is not bad but you would like a bracelet. I have to say that the fat font insert is just as valuable as a decent bracelet. With some better pics, we could tell you a bit more.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2014, 07:36 AM   #13
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
[QUODo not have RSC change the hands or dial in anyway- be sure to ask for a mechanical service only. What you have is beautiful and a service dial will affect the value of the watch drastically!!!!TE=boon626;4820950]Thanks for all the reply.

The watch is offered to me at USD5500, without paper and on Nato strap as per photo. Should I make a counter offer? Watch with dial at this patina & condition seems rare in my side of the world...

I will try to verified the serial and try to upload a few more detail pics if possible.

He did offer to do a authentication at Rolex center though. He does mentioned that the watch might need to do a service. I'm not sure if Rolex center service would change the dial & bezel which IMHO looks very nice and is the main reason that spark my interest in this watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote