The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > The Meeting Point

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 September 2019, 10:20 PM   #31
Dan Pierce
"TRF" Member
 
Dan Pierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Real Name: D'OH!
Location: Kentucky
Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Posts: 30,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
Would you want to organise another get together?
I don't have any future plans to visit London any time soon, although I'd love to.

Life was easier back then. I organized a vintage Rolex GTG at home in 2009, with the help of my local watchmaker. Since I already knew of a number regional TRF members from previous GTGs I thought it had a chance for good attendance. My watchmaker said he would invite his collector friends as well.

That got me to thinking about safety & security. I called my watchmaker indicating my concern and he said he already hired security for the event. It's a shame but necessary in todays world.

Although every GTG I've attended or organized turned out to be thoroughly enjoyable events, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with all the responsibility. Which is why you see smaller and smaller GTGs of late. Those are just as fun too.
dP
__________________
TRF Member# 1668
Bass Player in TRF "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Band
Commander-in-Chief of The Nylon Nation
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:34 AM   #32
Romanillos
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 2
Hi! I would also be interested, as I am living in central London. Let's have a casual beer to meet each other and talk about watches :)

Any suggestion?
Romanillos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 10:47 PM   #33
Swearengen
"TRF" Member
 
Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Gabriel
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,094
Good Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Essex View Post
The last London gtg organised was an exclusive VIP event. Nobody (expect those who got invited) knew if it actually went ahead.
Funny enough the organiser got the banned from the forums.
__________________

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 16234 17000

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 16613
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:31 AM   #34
rootbeer7
2020 Pledge Member
 
rootbeer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: london
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
Good Lord
__________________
@imrootbeer7
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 08:35 PM   #35
Swearengen
"TRF" Member
 
Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Gabriel
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,094
On a more serious note finding a safe, secure venue and keeping the location out of the public domaine has been a challange and probabaly why the TFR London GTG are less frequent.
__________________

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 16234 17000

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 16613
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 08:54 PM   #36
Always
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Real Name: Ask me
Location: London
Watch: Gorgeous MOP
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
On a more serious note finding a safe, secure venue and keeping the location out of the public domaine has been a challange and probabaly why the TFR London GTG are less frequent.


That is understandable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:40 PM   #37
Romanillos
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: London
Posts: 2
I understand, but what about meeting first in the bar of a central hotel in London just to get to know each other and see our faces - without bringing any special watches.

To talk about watches, we don't need to take them with us.

Once we "know each other" we can try to meet more exclusively through a WhatsApp private group, for example.

Does that make sense for you?
Romanillos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 05:21 PM   #38
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member
 
chunkythebulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Monkey
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanillos View Post
Hi! I would also be interested, as I am living in central London. Let's have a casual beer to meet each other and talk about watches :)

Any suggestion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanillos View Post
I understand, but what about meeting first in the bar of a central hotel in London just to get to know each other and see our faces - without bringing any special watches.

To talk about watches, we don't need to take them with us.

Once we "know each other" we can try to meet more exclusively through a WhatsApp private group, for example.

Does that make sense for you?
People might be more receptive to a meet up with you if you actually joined in some discussions on line firstly.

Would I meet some random stranger who's only contribution to a watch forum is to try and organise a GTG in his first 2 posts?

No I wouldn't

Would I meet some randon stranger who has contributed a few hundred posts, shown pictures of his watches, talked about his collection etc?

Yes I would
chunkythebulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 06:35 PM   #39
Swearengen
"TRF" Member
 
Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Gabriel
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,094
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
People might be more receptive to a meet up with you if you actually joined in some discussions on line firstly.

Would I meet some random stranger who's only contribution to a watch forum is to try and organise a GTG in his first 2 posts?

No I wouldn't

Would I meet some randon stranger who has contributed a few hundred posts, shown pictures of his watches, talked about his collection etc?

Yes I would
__________________

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 16234 17000

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 16613
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 06:51 PM   #40
BisonHead
"TRF" Member
 
BisonHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: UK
Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Posts: 1,739
I don't think i would meet up with anybody for a watch GTG without a lot of general interaction previously. No offense to Romanillos or any of the other posters.

Have visions of this, queue of hard looking fellas greeting you at the door.

"Good Evening Sir welcome to this Rolex GTG, I am Benny your personal mugger for this evening. Just thought i would introduce myself to avoid any unpleasantness on the street later Sir"
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 07:22 PM   #41
Swearengen
"TRF" Member
 
Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Gabriel
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,094
We have had previous London GTGs infiltrated by Ne'er-do-wells. I think it was this one: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=356161&page=4



Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
I don't think i would meet up with anybody for a watch GTG without a lot of general interaction previously. No offense to Romanillos or any of the other posters.

Have visions of this, queue of hard looking fellas greeting you at the door.

"Good Evening Sir welcome to this Rolex GTG, I am Benny your personal mugger for this evening. Just thought i would introduce myself to avoid any unpleasantness on the street later Sir"
__________________

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 16234 17000

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 16613
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 07:37 PM   #42
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member
 
chunkythebulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Monkey
Posts: 377
Get yourselves up North for the Time 4 a Pie GTG

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=662827
chunkythebulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 10:54 PM   #43
Swearengen
"TRF" Member
 
Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Gabriel
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,094
Is that anything to do with Chris Mann and Time4Pint or have you just made it "northen" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
Get yourselves up North for the Time 4 a Pie GTG

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=662827
__________________

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 16234 17000

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 16613
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:18 PM   #44
BisonHead
"TRF" Member
 
BisonHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: UK
Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
Get yourselves up North for the Time 4 a Pie GTG

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=662827
Left a post on that thread, cheers.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 11:42 PM   #45
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member
 
chunkythebulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Northern Monkey
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
Is that anything to do with Chris Mann and Time4Pint or have you just made it "northen" ?
It's nothing to do with Chris but just a slight mickey take of his Time 4 a Pint which he started over on Omega Forums.
Thought there's absolutely no chance that Northerners would pay to attend a GTG (nor would I want to make money out of them) so changed it over to give a subtle Northern nod to his GTG's.
chunkythebulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.